There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
What does it mean to be “grateful?”
How do you show someone your gratitude?
Gratitude can mean a lot of things—it can be an emotion, a state of being, or a deed. It can be something you feel towards yourself, another person, or a superior being. It can even be something you give or share to express your appreciation.
Whatever the reason for your gratitude, the result always boils down to one thing: a happier and more satisfying life. Research indicates that being in a state of gratitude is one of the most effective ways to live a happier and more meaningful life.
In this article, we share a list of Bible verses about gratitude that can inspire you to be more thankful in life. You can use these verses as journal prompts or vision board content to remind yourself of the things you can be grateful for.
(Check this article to learn more about how to practice gratitude in your everyday life.)
First, let’s start with some Bible verses about the gratefulness you feel for others. What does the Bible say about showing others how thankful you are?
What You Will Learn
15 Bible Verses on Gratitude to Others
- “Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.” – Ephesians 4:31
- “For all things are for your sakes, so that the grace which is spreading to more and more people may cause the giving of thanks to abound to the glory of God.” – 2 Corinthians 4:15
- “But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere.” – 2 Corinthians 2:14
- “Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” – Colossians 3:16
- “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.” – Numbers 6:24-26
- “For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.” – Ephesians 1:15–16
- “You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God.” – Corinthians 9:11
“You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God.” – Corinthians 9:11
- “I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.” – Philippians 1:3-5
- “May the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge, reward you fully for what you have done.” – Ruth 2:12
- “To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy people: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ. First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world.” – Romans 1:7-8
- “May the LORD now show you kindness and faithfulness, and I too will show you the same favor because you have done this.” – 2 Samuel 2:6
- “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” – John 15:13
- “For what thanksgiving can we return to God for you, for all the joy that we feel for your sake before our God.” – 1 Thessalonians 3:9
- “You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.” – Leviticus 19:18
- “I thank God for you—the God I serve with a clear conscience, just as my ancestors did. Night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers.” – 2 Timothy 1:3
While it may sometimes be difficult to actually express your gratitude towards other people, when you do, it makes them happier. People feel better about themselves when they feel appreciated.
Next, let’s look at a list of Bible verses about how and why you should still be thankful, even when you face problems and challenges in life. Through these words of praise, you will be reminded that even if life sends challenges your way, someone is still up there watching over you.
15 Bible Verses about Thankfulness in Hard Times
- “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.” – Psalm 46:1-3
- “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.” – Romans 12:1
“Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.” – Romans 12:1
- “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:18
- “Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.” – Revelation 2:10
- “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” – Romans 8:28
- “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.” – Psalm 103:2-5
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” – Philippians 4:6
- “For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.” –Zephaniah 3:17
- “In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” – 1 Peter 1:6-7
- “I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance, and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” – Philippians 4:12-13
- “Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.” – James 1:12
- “The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him” – Psalm 28:7
- “But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” – James 1:14–17
- “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” – Colossians 3:17 17
- “Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness.” – Romans 6:13 13
Life is a roller coaster ride. Some days are happy, while others are hard. But even during those hard times, you should know that God is still there to be your hope and strength. He will shower you with blessings because you are His son and He believes that you deserve to be happy.
This brings us to our last set of verses about being thankful for all the blessings that God has given us. Sometimes it may seem like He is not listening to our prayers, but the truth is, He is just waiting for the right time to help us on our journey.
15 Bible Verses about Being Thankful for Blessings
- “I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.” – Psalm 9:1
- “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.” – Psalm 100:4-5
- “This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” – Psalm 118:24
“This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” – Psalm 118:24
- “Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever.” – Revelation 4:9
- “Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!” – Psalm 107:1
- “Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. For the Lord is the great God, the great King above all gods.” – Psalm 95:2-3
- “Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.” – Hebrews 13:15
- “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in him.’” – Lamentations 3:22–24
- “For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude.” – 1 Timothy 4:4
- “To You, O God of my fathers, I give thanks and praise, For You have given me wisdom and power; Even now You have made known to me what we requested of You, For You have made known to us the king’s matter.” – Daniel 2:23
- “Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind.” – Psalm 107:21
- “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ.” – Ephesians 1:3
- “From them will proceed thanksgiving And the voice of those who celebrate, and I will multiply them and they will not be diminished; I will also honor them and they will not be insignificant.” – Jeremiah 30:19
- “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.” – Colossians 4:2
- “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our “God is a consuming fire.” – Hebrews 12:28-29
Final Words on Bible Verses about Gratitude
Regardless of your religion, we believe that these verses can motivate you and help you live a life full of contentment, kindness, and happiness. After all, gratitude is an essential element of the teachings of almost all religions.
We hope that these kind words of praise and gratitude serve as your armor when the universe sends challenges your way. We pray that they become a source of inspiration so that you continue to live a grateful, happy, and satisfying life.