21 Bible Verses About Helping Others in Need
There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Helping others and doing volunteer work can give you a great sense of joy and fulfillment. It can make you feel alive, grateful, and satisfied all at once.
When you extend your hand to another, it is as if you have accomplished something that can change the world.
And even if you don’t notice, it actually makes your life less stressful and more meaningful.
In this post, we have gathered 21 Bible verses about helping others in need. These holy words are proof that the virtue of helping is an act that the Lord commends.
They remind us that, even if the world seems to have lost touch with its humanity, God believes that we are still worthy of redemption if we choose to love our neighbors as we love Him and ourselves.
Before we proceed to our list, let us share with you how reading these Bible verses can help you find the joy that comes from helping others.
Why Read Bible Verses About Helping Others?
Life is tough, and the world can be harsh and unfair. Sometimes you might hesitate to do a good deed. Perhaps you don’t want your efforts to be in vain, so you would rather do nothing, even if this runs against your conscience.
This is where the words of the Lord can be helpful. Remembering or reading verses from the Bible can inspire you to move beyond your worries. Knowing that God is watching over you gives you assurance that you are loved and appreciated.
We believe that it is human nature to be kind and helpful to others, and we have faith in the goodness that everyone possesses. Sometimes we just need a little reminder from the Bible to help us do what is right.
To that end, let us share with you what the Bible has to say about helping others!
- “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” – Philippians 2:3-4
- “Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” – Luke 12:33-34
- “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way, you will fulfill the law of Christ.” – Galatians 6:2
- “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’” – Matthew 25:44-45
- “Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done.” – Proverbs 19:17
- “There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore, I command you to be openhanded toward your fellow Israelites who are poor and needy in your land.” – Deuteronomy 15:11
- “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” – Matthew 5:16
- “But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.” – 1 Timothy 5:8
- “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” – John 15:13
- “Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,’ but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” – James 2:14-17
- “God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.” – Hebrews 6:10
“God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.” – Hebrews 6:10
- “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” – Romans 12:20
- “A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.” – Proverbs 11:25
- “If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you.” – Leviticus 25:35
- “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” – Ephesians 2:10
- “For you have been a stronghold to the poor, a stronghold to the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat; for the breath of the ruthless is like a storm against a wall.” – Isaiah 25:4
- “We love because he first loved us. Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.” – 1 John 4:19-20
- “If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday.” – Isaiah 58:10
- “In all things, I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” – Acts 20:35
- “And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, ‘You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.’” – Mark 10:21
- “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” – Luke 6:38
Final Words on Helping Others in Need
Helping others can be incredibly satisfying. If you want to be a lot happier and more fulfilled in life, don’t hold back when others need your assistance. Do not hesitate to give with all of your heart.
We hope that the Bible verses shared above have inspired you to give your time and talents to others. Serving others is one of the easiest ways to make the world a better place.