There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Helping others and doing volunteer work can give you a great sense of joy and fulfillment. It can make you feel alive, grateful, and satisfied all at once.
When you extend your hand to another, it is as if you have accomplished something that can change the world.
And even if you don’t notice, it actually makes your life less stressful and more meaningful.
In this post, we have gathered 31 Bible verses about helping others in need. These holy words are proof that the virtue of helping is an act that the Lord commends.
They remind us that, even if the world seems to have lost touch with its humanity, God believes that we are still worthy of redemption if we choose to love our neighbors as we love Him and ourselves.
Before we proceed to our list, let us share with you how reading these Bible verses can help you find the joy that comes from helping others.
Why Read Bible Verses About Helping Others?
Life is tough, and the world can be harsh and unfair. Sometimes you might hesitate to do a good deed. Perhaps you don’t want your efforts to be in vain, so you would rather do nothing, even if this runs against your conscience.
This is where the words of the Lord can be helpful. Remembering or reading verses from the Bible can inspire you to move beyond your worries. Knowing that God is watching over you gives you assurance that you are loved and appreciated.
We believe that it is human nature to be kind and helpful to others, and we have faith in the goodness that everyone possesses. Sometimes we just need a little reminder from the Bible to help us do what is right.
To that end, let us share with you what the Bible has to say about helping others!
- “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” – Philippians 2:3-4
- “Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” – Luke 12:33-34
- “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way, you will fulfill the law of Christ.” – Galatians 6:2
- “Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done.” – Proverbs 19:17
- “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’” – Matthew 25:44-45
They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’” – Matthew 25:44-45
- “But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.” – 1 Timothy 5:8
- “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” – John 15:13
- “Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” – James 2:14-17
- “There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore, I command you to be openhanded toward your fellow Israelites who are poor and needy in your land.” – Deuteronomy 15:11
- “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” – Matthew 5:16
- “God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.” – Hebrews 6:10
- “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” – Romans 12:20
- “A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.” – Proverbs 11:25
- “If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you.” – Leviticus 25:35
- “Do not neglect to do good, to contribute [to the needy of the church as an expression of fellowship], for such sacrifices are always pleasing to God.” – Hebrews 13:16
- “Therefore encourage and comfort one another and build up one another, just as you are doing.” – 1st Thessalonians 5:11
Therefore encourage and comfort one another and build up one another, just as you are doing.” – 1st Thessalonians 5:11
- “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” – Ephesians 2:10
- “For you have been a stronghold to the poor, a stronghold to the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat; for the breath of the ruthless is like a storm against a wall.” – Isaiah 25:4
- “Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due [its rightful recipients], when it is in your power to do it.” – Proverbs 3:27
- “We must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; night is coming when no one can work.” – John 9:4
- “We love because he first loved us. Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.” – 1 John 4:19-20
- “If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday.” – Isaiah 58:10
- “In all things, I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” – Acts 20:35
- “And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, ‘You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.’” – Mark 10:21
- “So then, while we [as individual believers] have the opportunity, let us do good to all people [not only being helpful, but also doing that which promotes their spiritual well-being], and especially [be a blessing] to those of the household of faith (born-again believers).” – Galatians 6:10
- “The thief [who has become a believer] must no longer steal, but instead he must work hard [making an honest living], producing that which is good with his own hands, so that he will have something to share with those in need.” – Ephesians 4:28
- “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol (the nether world, the place of the dead) where you are going.” – Ecclesiastes 9:10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol (the nether world, the place of the dead) where you are going.” – Ecclesiastes 9:10
- “Trust [rely on and have confidence] in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and feed [securely] on His faithfulness.” – Psalms 37:3
- “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” – Luke 6:38
- “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor (fellow man) and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love [that is, unselfishly seek the best or higher good for] your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may [show yourselves to] be the children of your Father who is in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on those who are evil and on those who are good, and makes the rain fall on the righteous [those who are morally upright] and the unrighteous [the unrepentant, those who oppose Him].” – Matthew 5:43-45
- “Pay to all what is due: tax to whom tax is due, customs to whom customs, respect to whom respect, honor to whom honor.” – Romans 13:7
Final Thoughts on Bible Verses about Helping Others
Helping others can be incredibly satisfying. If you want to be a lot happier and more fulfilled in life, don’t hold back when others need your assistance. Do not hesitate to give with all of your heart.
We hope that the Bible verses shared above have inspired you to give your time and talents to others. Serving others is one of the easiest ways to make the world a better place.
And if you want more inspirational bible verses, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 27 Bible Verses About Valuing Your Self-Worth
- 41 Best Bible Verses About Respect and Honor
- 51 Bible Verses About Living Life with Purpose
Finally, if you want to increase your happiness and life satisfaction, then watch this free video that details the 7-minute habit for planning your day to focus on what's important.