There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Trust, from a very young age, plays a significant role in our lives. Whether it’s trusting our parents to catch us when we fall, or trusting our friends to keep our deepest secrets, putting faith in others is part and parcel of life.
And rightly so. Knowing that we can rely on someone brings a great source of comfort. It allows us to be vulnerable and open up, knowing that we're safe and supported.
However, building trust is not always a smooth ride. It can be a challenging and sometimes painful journey to figure out who to put our faith in. And on occasion, we'll get it wrong.
But remember, it’s these experiences, both good and bad, that help us grow. And become better equipped to recognize genuine kindness when we see it.
While, in theory, it would be good to instantly trust everyone we come across, to give them the benefit of the doubt and leave judgment at the door, the reality is that not everyone deserves our trust.
And deciding who does and doesn’t can be a difficult path to navigate.
After all, it’s not like people wear name badges with a green tick for trustworthiness and a red cross for not. Or have a cute cartoon speech bubble above their head, with their motives clearly displayed in an easy-to-read font.
People just aren’t that open. Whether it's because they’ve been hurt in their past and now remain guarded, or because they’ve something unsavory to hide, the bigger picture is often hazy. And their integrity is difficult to make out.
But, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. While blindly trusting every person we meet may be wreckless, giving them the chance to show their true character is generally a risk worth taking.
Without doing so, we’ll never know what kind of person they are, or what kind of impact they could have on our lives. And we’ll be forever blinkered to the genuine selflessness that most people hold.
Will every person we meet be trustworthy? Sadly, no. But that doesn't mean we should lose hope and believe that everyone is going to betray us.
There are so many good people out there, so many warm hearts and honest souls. And, given the opportunity, their true worth will shine so brightly that all the disappointments caused by others will seem like a distant memory.
Try to keep your faith alive and be open to the possibility of finding those amazing people who will restore your belief in humanity. It's a beautiful journey waiting to unfold!
And there’s no better place to start than with these trust quotes.
- “We need people in our lives with whom we can be as open as possible. To have real conversations with people may seem like such a simple, obvious suggestion, but it involves courage and risk.” – Thomas Moore
- “Know your worth. People always act like they’re doing more for you than you’re doing for them.” – Kanye West
- “I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” – Buddha
- “If we do not trust one another, we are already defeated.” – Allison Croggon
- “I don't trust people who don't love themselves and tell me, ‘I love you.' … There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt.” – Maya Angelou
I don't trust people who don't love themselves and tell me, ‘I love you.' … There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt.” – Maya Angelou
- “All the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust.” – J.M. Barrie
- “The glue that holds all relationships together–including the relationship between the leader and the led–is trust, and trust is based on integrity.” – Brian Tracy
- “Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly and they will show themselves great.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Trust has no gradient.” – Toba Beta
- “Trust is a currency; you can't afford not to invest in it. Interestingly enough, trust can only be built, maintained, and repaired through conversations.” – Juliana Vergara
- “Trust is built when someone is vulnerable and not taken advantage of.” – Bob Vanourek
- “The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “It takes two to do the trust tango–the one who risks (the trustor) and the one who is trustworthy (the trustee); each must play their role.” – Charles H. Green
- “Trust is the highest form of human motivation. It brings out the very best in people.” – Stephen Covey
- “For there to be betrayal, there would have to have been trust first.” – Suzanne Collins
- “I'd rather hear an ugly truth, rather than an obscure lie.” – Ana Monnar
- “A team is not a group of people who work together. A team is a group of people who trust each other.” – Simon Sinek
A team is not a group of people who work together. A team is a group of people who trust each other.” – Simon Sinek
- “Everyone suffers at least one bad betrayal in their lifetime. It’s what unites us. The trick is not to let it destroy your trust in others when that happens. Don’t let them take that from you.” – Sherrilyn Kenyon
- “When people don’t trust each other, everything is slow and takes a million meetings. It’s like sludge and they block each other. Nothing moves quickly. You end up doubling up on resources. If you could just trust each other, you could talk about issues.” – Kate Morris
- “We're paying the highest tribute you can pay a man. We trust him to do right. It's that simple.” – Harper Lee
- “Whether it's friendship or relationship, all bonds are built on trust. Without it, you have nothing.” – Unknown
- “Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” – Albert Einstein
- “Trust is built with consistency.” – Lincoln Chafee
- “Trusting is hard. Knowing who to trust, even harder.” – Maria V. Snyder
- “Trust each other again and again. When the trust level gets high enough, people transcend apparent limits, discovering new and awesome abilities of which they were previously unaware.” – David Armistead
- “Trust is hard to come by. That's why my circle is small and tight. I'm kind of funny about making new friends.” – Eminem
- “Trust is the fruit of a relationship in which you know you are loved.” – William P. Young
- “Trust is the glue of life. It's the most essential ingredient in effective communication.” – Stephen Covey
- “The chief lesson I have learned in a long life is that the only way you can make a man trustworthy is to trust him; and the surest way to make him untrustworthy is to distrust him.” – Henry L. Stimson
The chief lesson I have learned in a long life is that the only way you can make a man trustworthy is to trust him; and the surest way to make him untrustworthy is to distrust him.” – Henry L. Stimson
- “Trust is like the air we breathe – when it’s present, nobody really notices; when it’s absent, everybody notices.” – Warren Buffett
- “When people honor each other, there is a trust established that leads to synergy, interdependence, and deep respect. Both parties make decisions and choices based on what is right, what is best, what is valued most highly.” – Blaine Lee
- “Few things can help an individual more than to place responsibility on him, and to let him know that you trust him.” – Booker T. Washington
- “Mistrust begets mistrust; trust begets accomplishment.” – Lao Tzu
- “When an individual trusts another sufficiently to expose the true self — the deepest fears, the hidden desires — a powerful intimacy is born.” – Sarah Pekkanen
- “You must trust and believe in people or life becomes impossible.” – Anton Chekhov
- “Trust is like love. Both parties have to feel it before it really exists.” – Simon Sinek
- “Few things help an individual more than to place responsibility upon him, and to let him know that you trust him.” – Booker T. Washington
- “We're never so vulnerable than when we trust someone – but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy.” – Walter Anderson
- “You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you don’t trust enough.” – Frank Crane
- “Trust and faith bring joy to life and help relationships grow to their maximum potential.” – Joyce Meyer
- “I think a good friend, to me, is all about trust and loyalty. You don't ever want to second-guess whether you can tell your friend something.” – Lauren Conrad
I think a good friend, to me, is all about trust and loyalty. You don't ever want to second-guess whether you can tell your friend something.” – Lauren Conrad
- “Trust is like blood pressure. It’s silent, vital to good health, and if abused it can be deadly.” – Frank Sonnenberg
- “When the trust account is high, communication is easy, instant, and effective.” – Stephen R. Covey
- “Never trust anyone who wants what you've got. Friend or no, envy is an overwhelming emotion.” – Eubie Blake
- “Trust is the antidote that overcomes fear – and fear is the greatest inhibitor of all to a relationship that welcomes and nurtures new ideas.” – John Pepper
- “When you completely trust a person without any doubt, you'll automatically receive one of two things — a friend for life or a lesson for life.” – Unknown
- “When trust improves, the mood improves.” – Fernando Flores
- “To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.” – George MacDonald
- “You know, sometimes you've got to trust the people you love. You've got to trust that if they're good people, they'll make good decisions.” – Janette Rallison
- “If you have three people in your life that you can trust, you can consider yourself the luckiest person in the whole world.” – Selena Gomez
- “Trust starts with truth and ends with truth.” – Santosh Kalwar
- “It's a delight to trust somebody so completely.” – Jeff Goldblum
- “It's so important to reach out to people you trust, and who can give you honest feedback, and keep those people close to you. You don't want to surround yourself with enablers.” – Tim Gunn
- “Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt.” – Eric Sevareid
While it’s natural to have reservations and fears about putting our trust in someone else, it’s important to remember that not everyone is out to deceive or hurt us.
Trusting others opens the door to new opportunities and experiences. And allows us to grow and learn from different perspectives.
It may take time to build trust. But the rewards of genuine connections and meaningful relationships are well worth the effort.
So, put your doubts and fears aside and take a leap of faith in trusting others. You might be pleasantly surprised by the positive experiences that await you.
And for more inspirational posts, be sure to check out these blogs:
- 67 You Got This Quotes to Give You a Motivational Boost
- 55 Bob Marley Quotes About Peace, Love, and Life
- 57 Community Service Quotes About Volunteering and Giving Back
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.