There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Your work team scheduled a virtual meeting. You’re signed in and waiting as others gradually join in. It feels awkward as no one seems to know what to say. Then the mediator asks, “Who inspires you the most?”
Suddenly, everyone in the room is excited about giving their answer. The tension dissolves, and everyone is now more comfortable. This is one of the reasons ice breaker questions for virtual meetings are such an important tool.
They have a unique way of disarming expectations, fear, and anxiety by tapping into shared commonalities within a group or team. They can also be fun, which eliminates the boredom factor.
This article will explain what ice breaker questions for virtual meetings are and the benefits of using them. It will also give examples you can use at your next virtual gathering.
What are Ice Breaker Questions for Virtual Meetings?
Ice breakers for virtual meetings are lighthearted questions used to break the tension and awkwardness of people attending a virtual meeting.
Some attendees may already know one another, but others may be new to the team. These questions can break through the nervousness and pressure of not knowing what to say or where to begin.
Ice breaker questions for virtual meetings are a great way to gain insight into personalities, strengths, weaknesses, and attitudes.
Better yet, they are also excellent at introducing team members to one another on a positive note.
Benefits of Using Ice Breaker Questions for Virtual Meetings
The benefits of using ice breakers for virtual meetings are significant to the success of the meeting.
When the awkward tension is disarmed, people feel more comfortable showing their personalities, which is beneficial in forming work teams. They also feel more comfortable contributing ideas to the agenda or troubleshooting ideas.
Ice breaker questions eliminate social and cultural barriers, strengthening the unification of the group. Ice breakers also motivate attendees to focus more thought on a topic and create a level of trust needed for the team to succeed.
These are a few of the benefits of ice breakers for virtual meetings:
Now that you understand what ice breaker questions are and their many benefits, let’s look at some excellent examples you can use in your next virtual meeting.
195 Good Ice Breaker Questions for Virtual Meetings
Good ice breaker questions for virtual meetings can be as varied as the personalities in your group.
You can choose questions that give insight into their strengths or demonstrate leadership qualities. You can choose quirky, fun questions or those that provide insight into their work style.
The following are some good ice breakers to get started:
Questions about Influencers
1. Who influenced you the most in your career?
2. Who made you smile today?
3. Who is your favorite author?
4. Who inspires you the most?
5. Who is your favorite comedian/comedienne?
7. Who is your most influential role model?
6. Who is the best artist ever?
8. Who is your favorite Kardashian?
9. Who is your hero?
10. Who do you admire the most in your local community?
11. Who is your longest-kept best friend?
12. What is your favorite quote of all time?
13. If you had to volunteer at a local charity, which would you choose?
14. What is your favorite charity to donate to?
15. Who is your favorite billionaire?
16. What is the worst advice you’ve ever been given?
TV and Film Questions
17. Who is your favorite actor?
18. What TV/movie streaming app do you love the most?
19. Do you prefer podcasts or news streams?
20. Are you into Shark Week?
21. Which Disney or Pixar character is most like you?
22. What is the best scary/horror film ever made?
23. What TV/film scene made you laugh until you had an accident?
24. What TV series did you last binge-watch?
25. What is the scariest scene in TV/film history?
26. What TV show or film do you repeatedly fall asleep to at night?
27. Which Jumanji character is most like you?
28. What is your favorite documentary?
29. What is your favorite game show?
30. What is your favorite movie of all time?
31. If you could choose any TV or movie character to be on your team, who would it be?
32. What is your favorite classic movie?
33. What is your favorite sitcom?
34. Do you prefer theaters or streaming at home?
35. Is there anything Ian McKellen can’t do?
36. Who was the best Joker: Ledger or Nichols?
37. Will Stallone have yet another sequel?
38. Who is the best band/singer to dance to?
39. Do you sing karaoke?
40. Do you listen to music while working?
41. What one song will be played on a loop in the depths of hell?
42. Do you sing in the shower?
43. What is the theme song for your life?
44. What was the first music concert you ever attended?
45. Have you ever broken anything while dancing?
46. What is your favorite genre of music?
47. What was the last music concert you attended?
48. If you had to watch music videos all day, would you choose the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s?
49. Who is/was the best singer/musician of all time?
50. What song(s) do you know by heart?
51. What is the worst you’ve ever botched song lyrics?
52. Did you ever actually call 867-5309 to see who would answer?
Questions about Books
53. If you could write a novel, what would be the title?
54. Who would be the protagonist?
55. What is the last book you read?
56. Who is your favorite character in Catcher in the Rye?
57. What was your favorite childhood book?
58. How big is your home library?
59. What is the most boring book you’ve ever read?
60. What book do you recommend to others?
Questions for Foodies
61. Would you rather cook dinner or have something pre-made?
62. Do you prefer a dark roast, medium, or blonde coffee?
63. Do you prefer chocolate or vanilla?
64. What is your favorite thing to bring to work for lunch?
65. Do you have breakfast before or after showering in the mornings?
66. Do you prefer salads or pasta?
67. Do you prefer beer or wine?
68. What is your favorite appetizer?
69. High-carb, low-carb, or no-carb?
70. Who is the world’s greatest chef?
71. Atkins or Keto?
72. What is your favorite pizza topping?
73. Do you share your favorite recipe or keep it to yourself?
74. What is the weirdest food you’ve ever eaten?
75. What is your go-to item to bring to potlucks?
76. Where do you see yourself in your career in five years?
77. If you could retire today, what would you do tomorrow?
78. What is the most meaningful team project you’ve ever worked on?
79. If you hit the jackpot lottery, would you go to work the next day?
80. What was your first job?
81. What did you really do the last time you played hooky?
82. Do you multitask while in virtual meetings?
83. What high school class has proven useful to your career?
84. Do you prefer to work alone or on a team?
85. What is the weirdest job you’ve ever had?
86. Do you prefer working at home or in the office?
87. What skill would you like to add to your resume?
88. What is the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever done at work?
89. Do you enjoy Secret Santa, or do you hate it?
90. What is the most awful office gift you’ve ever received?
91. What is your favorite Hallmark Christmas movie?
92. Are New Year’s parties worth the mistletoe?
93. What is your favorite work holiday?
94. Should National Coffee Day be a work holiday?
95. What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition?
96. What is the best Halloween costume you’ve ever worn?
97. Have you ever had an April Fool’s prank backfire?
98. What year do you think AI will rule the world?
99. Is there a chance that AI might take over your job?
100. What are your top three emojis?
101. What was the last CD you ever burned?
102. Do you prefer a PC or Mac?
103. Which app do you use on your phone most?
104. Where do you think technology will be in five years?
105. What is the next step beyond biometrics?
106. Steve Jobs or Bill Gates?
107. Do you prefer Threads or Twitter?
108. In a parallel universe, what does your life look like?
Questions on Fashion
109. What fashion trend fits your style?
110. Which fashion trend do you wish would die off forever?
111. What is the worst hairstyle you’ve ever worn?
112. Do you have any tattoos?
113. Do you prefer a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt or a worn-out football jersey?
114. Do you prefer straight, curly, or bald?
115. Would you choose Ray-bans or Walmart clearance shades?
116. Dresses or pants?
117. What was your worst fashion statement during your rebellious teens?
118. If you were a shoe, what would you be?
119. What style of jeans are you embarrassed to admit you wore?
120. Would you rather go into the depths of the ocean or deep space?
121. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
122. Where is your favorite vacation destination?
123. How many U.S. states have you visited?
124. Would you rather have a picnic on the beach or in the mountains?
125. Would you rather travel to the moon or Mars?
126. When you travel, do you prefer a tent or a hotel?
127. How decorated is your passport?
128. What is your favorite culture to immerse in?
129. Do you speak other languages?
130. What is your favorite U.S. National Park?
131. What is the best trip you’ve experienced?
132. If you could be an animal, what would it be?
133. Do you have pets?
134. How much does an elephant weigh?
135. Why do sandpipers play chase with the ocean waves?
136. If a manatee could, what would a manatee do?
137. Do you prefer dogs, cats, or rabbits?
138. Are fish pets?
139. Are alligators pets?
140. How many toes does a coyote have?
141. What do dragonflies eat?
142. Do you talk to your pets like they’re people?
143. If you had a pet dragon, what would you name it?
Questions on Personal Traits
144. What is your best talent?
145. What is your biggest weakness?
146. What was your nickname in grade school?
147. If you could meet your ancestors, what would you say to them?
148. If you could meet your descendants, what would you say to them?
149. If you could meet your younger self, what advice would you give?
150. What is your best leadership quality?
151. If you could change your name, what would it be?
152. What is your unusual talent?
153. What is the number one thing on your bucket list?
154. If you had an extra hour in the day, what would you do with it?
155. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
156. What is your superpower?
157. What is the first thing people notice about you?
158. Do you like your laugh?
159. What is your greatest achievement?
160. What do you like to do to wind down at the end of the day?
161. What do you love that other people hate?
162. Do you sleep with one leg out, both legs out, or no legs out?
163. Do you sleep with a fan on?
Questions about Favorites
164. What is your favorite scent?
165. What is your favorite board game?
166. What is your favorite season of the year?
167. What is your favorite car?
168. What is your favorite thing to do on the weekends?
169. What is your favorite color?
170. Who was your favorite childhood crush?
171. What is your favorite workout method?
172. What is your favorite sport?
173. What was your favorite high school activity?
Silly, Fun, Random Questions
174. If you won the lottery, what would be your first big purchase?
175. Do you believe in UFOs?
176. Do you believe in ghosts?
177. Are you scared of thunder?
178. Do you have a doppelganger?
179. Have you ever tried to open the fridge repeatedly to see if the light stays on?
180. What is your first thought when the power goes out at night?
181. What was the worst prank that ever backfired on you?
182. Have you ever checked under the bed for monsters?
183. What is one thing as a kid your parents never found out about?
184. What is the wildest thing you ever did on spring break?
185. What does your Zoom background look like?
186. What is your best idea for a new invention?
187. Who do you believe designs women’s bathroom stalls?
188. Do you prefer toilet paper rolling under or over?
189. What is the most stupid thing you’ve ever done?
190. Do you prefer going to gatherings or staying at home?
191. What is the ringtone on your phone?
192. What sport makes you shout at the TV?
193. Have you ever tried to count the stars?
194. Does extraterrestrial life exist?
195. A zombie apocalypse hits. Your weapon is to your right. What is it?
Final Thoughts on Ice Breaker Questions for Virtual Meetings
Good ice breaker questions for virtual meetings are a useful, necessary, and fun way to bring attendees together while creating trust and motivation. This technique has proven to enhance the overall success of nearly all types of virtual meetings.
Professional trainers and facilitators agree that using ice breakers for virtual meetings increases the rate of attendee engagement, focus, and valuable contributions. A company can save meeting time because it moves quickly and is more productive.
Check out 183 Fun This or That Questions for Adults for more ideas on ice breakers to incorporate into your virtual meetings.
And if you want more interesting questions to ask, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 101 Fun Ice Breakers Questions for Dating and Couples
- 359 Fun Ice Breaker Questions for Work
- 101 Ice Breaker Questions for Kids That They’ll Love