There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Even outgoing kids sometimes get shy, especially in new situations. A great way to get kids to open up is to ask questions. Ice breaker questions for kids are great for starting conversations and helping kids get to know the people around them.
When you think about icebreaker questions you don't want to get too deep. Remember, it is likely that the kids are just getting to know each other or you.
The following questions are a great mix to choose from. There are general information questions, ones that make the kids reveal a bit about their personalities, and ones that help them use their imaginations.
Don't be surprised if the kids get so excited about sharing their answers that you have a hard time getting them to change activities. Have fun with these. The kids certainly will!
How to Use These Questions
Many of these questions lend themselves to only one-word answers. This may be the most comfortable situation for kids who lack confidence. Most of them allow for you to help the child expand on their answer by asking for more details or asking why?
As an adult, you can help make the kids feel more confident about answering if you answer the questions also.
You can simply ask the questions and have everyone answer or you can put the questions in a container and pass the container around so the kids each pick out a question. You can work with the whole group or split the group into pairs.
A fun activity is to create pairs and then when you return to the circle, have the partner answer the question for the person they were paired with.
Why Icebreaker Questions Work So Well
This type of question works so well with kids because the questions don't make them feel that they have to reveal things that might be embarrassing. They don't have to think about how to start a conversation by themselves. It is difficult to get to know someone when you first meet them.
The art of good conversation needs to be learned and this type of activity is a good place to start. It teaches kids how to take turns and how to listen when others speak. It also helps them feel more comfortable asking more questions on their own. This creates a situation where their self-esteem can grow.
So, let’s get started!
151 Ice Breaker Questions for Kids
- What is your favorite TV show? Do you get to watch it a lot?
- Do you have a favorite song? Have you ever seen the performer sing it in person?
- What is your most favorite place in the whole world?
- What did you do last summer? Did you visit any place exciting or stay home?
- Do you have any pets? What are their names?
- What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you don't like?
- Do you have a nickname you would like to be called?
- What is something you do very well?
- What is the title of your favorite book?
- Have you ever been camping in the woods? If so, did you sleep in a cabin or a tent?
- Do you like going to the beach? What is your favorite part?
- What is your favorite sport to watch? Do you play it?
- Do you have any brothers or sisters and are they older or younger than you?
- What would you do if you found a treasure map and were able to look for the treasure?
- What are your favorite things to put on pizza?
- What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
- Do you like playing in the snow? What are your favorite activities?
- Do you have a best friend? What is their name?
- Do you play any musical instruments?
- Would you pet a spider? What do you think it would feel like?
- Have you ever touched a snake? What did it feel like?
- What makes you happy?
- What things make you sad? What helps you cheer up?
- What is your favorite animal to visit at the zoo? What about on a farm?
- What is your favorite subject at school?
- Is there any school subject you don't like?
- What do you do when you are angry?
- What is the best gift you ever received?
- Do you have a favorite teacher?
- What food could you all the time?
- What foods don't you like?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- If you were invisible, what would you do for the day?
- How would you spend $1,000? Would you share it or spend it all on yourself?
- When did you do something that made you proud of yourself?
- What makes you feel scared?
- Do you have a favorite park that you visit?
- What do you want to do when you grow up?
- If you met a unicorn, would you ride it?
- Have you ever ridden a horse? Did you like it? If not, would you like to?
- What is the last book you read outside of school?
- Do you like going to birthday parties?
- Do you like clowns?
- Have you ever been to an aquarium?
- When would you travel to if you had a time machine?
- Who is your favorite animated character?
- What wild animal would you pet if you could?
- Do you watch the Olympics? If so, what is your favorite part?
- Have you ever been ice skating?
- What is the funniest joke you know?
- Did you ever get detention at school?
- What is the most trouble you ever got into?
- What is one of your favorite memories?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What do you think is the best age to be and why?
- Do you think fish sometimes wish they could fly?
- What things make you angry?
- What nice things do others say about you a lot?
- Why do you think we dream?
- What name would you pick for yourself if you were allowed to change your name?
- Do you like to draw or paint?
- Would you like to ride an elephant? What about a giraffe?
- What countries would you like to visit? Have you ever visited a different country?
- Do you like summer or winter better?
- Have you ever been on a farm?
- Would you rather be a bird or a fish? Why?
- Do you prefer playing team sports or do you like things you can play on your own?
- Do you know how to play chess?
- What is your favorite card or board game? What about your favorite video game?
- Do you have a favorite Pokemon?
- Where were you born?
- What do you like most about where you live?
- Would you like to live in a castle? What about living in a log cabin?
- How many people live in your house? Are they all related to you?
- Do you have a favorite piece of clothing that you would like to wear every day?
- Do you like to run barefoot on the grass?
- Would you rather dive deep in the ocean or fly into outer space?
- Do you like writing? Are you good at it?
- Do you feel comfortable reading out loud in school?
- Are you in any clubs at school or after school?
- What is your favorite rid at the amusement park? Are there any rides you won't ride on?
- Would you like to sail across the ocean on a big ship?
- Have you ever pretended you were sick so you didn't have to go to school?
- Did you ever have a fight with your parents? If so, what was it about?
- Why did you pick your best friend?
- Do you think you are a good friend?
- Would you like to be able to talk to animals? What would you talk about?
- Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever seen a ghost?
- Would your mother say you are helpful at home?
- What do you like to do when you are alone?
- What is the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?
- Do you have a lot of friends?
- Are there any bullies in your school?
- Who do you talk to when you are feeling sad or scared?
- What would you like to be famous for?
- Have you ever met a famous person?
- What famous person would you like to meet if you could?
- If you were an animal, which one would you like to be, and why?
- What is your least favorite chore? What is your most favorite one?
- What makes you unique?
- What isn't real, but you wish it were?
- What's your favorite sports team of all time, and what makes it your favorite?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be, and how could you positively impact the world with it?
- What's the silliest joke that made you laugh?
- If you could visit any place in the universe, where would you go?
- What's your favorite video game to watch someone else play?
- If you could have any animal as a pet, which one would you choose and why?
- When was the last time you read a comic book, and what was it about?
- What's your go-to dance move, and how did you learn it?
- What's the most delicious food you'd like to learn how to cook?
- If you could be a character from your favorite fairy tale, who would you be?
- What's your favorite season of the year and why?
- What's the coolest thing you've ever learned from a video?
- If you could spend a day and a half with any fictional character, who would it be?
- What do you like to do most when you're outside in your backyard?
- If you could invent a new flavor of ice cream that would surprise everyone, what would it taste like?
- Who is your favorite YouTube influencer?
- What do you think you'll be doing to earn money when you grow up?
- What's your favorite app, and why do you like it?
- If you could have a magical sparkly pet, what would it be, and what would it do?
- What's the funniest dinosaur joke you've ever heard?
- Do you think it's important to go to college, and why?
- If you could trade places with an animal for a day, which animal would it be?
- What's your favorite thing to do on a rainy day, and would it be an indoor or outdoor activity?
- If you could build the ultimate tree house, what would it look like?
- What's the most amazing place you've ever visited, and why do you think it's amazing?
- Would you rather grow up to be a doctor or a baseball player?
- What do you think is the best thing about being a kid?
- If you could eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What's your favorite sport to watch or play?
- If you could have a robot friend, what would you name it, and what would you like for it to do first?
- What's the most exciting thing you've ever done?
- If you could time travel, would you go forward in time and meet your adult self or back in time to meet your younger self?
- What's the most unusual animal you've ever seen in a zoo?
- If you could be a character from a book, who would you be, and why?
- What's your favorite holiday food?
- If you could have a day when everything was backward, what would it look like?
- If you could play two instruments at one time, what would they be?
- If you could choose any job for your mom or dad, what would it be?
- What's your favorite kind of cookie, and do you like it with or without icing?
- If you could have a famous chef cook your family dinner, what would be on the menu?
- What's the best thing that happened to you this week?
- If you could have a conversation with a talking animal, what would you ask it, and what kind of animal would it be?
- What's your favorite thing to do with your best friend?
- If you could have any kind of bicycle in the world, what would it be, and where would you ride it?
- What's your favorite way to spend a lazy day?
- On your next birthday, what theme would you like for your party?
- What's your favorite type of weather, and what do you like to do on days like that?
- If you could invent anything, what would you choose to invent?
- What's the most memorable dream you've ever had, and did it come true?
- If you blew out your birthday candles and made a wish right now, do you believe it would come true?
Final Thoughts on Ice Breaker Questions for Kids
Asking kids these questions not only helps make them feel more comfortable, but it also gives them a chance to get to know themselves better. Both are such fundamental things to teach them at a young age… and this is a fun way to do it.
The answers may give insight into things these kids never thought about and may even surprise them.
These kinds of questions also help adults get a feel for the individual personalities of the kids, which in turn helps you to know who may need help building self-esteem, or learning to focus. Wishing this article wouldn’t end? We’ve got you covered with This or That Questions for kids.
And if you want more interesting questions to ask, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 118 Get to Know You Questions for Kids
- 281 Would You Rather Questions for Kids
- 161 Clean & Fun Never Have I Ever Questions For Kids
- 119 Fun This or That Questions for Teens & Young Adults
- 63 Fun Ice Breaker Questions & Conversation Starters for Teens