There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
The first day of work at a new job is exciting and stressful. The comfort of knowing you have a place where you belong can be muffled by not feeling like you belong.
Ice breaker questions for work can alleviate the negative and make you even more appreciative of your new job.
If you have ever worked in an environment where you were assigned to be part of a team but didn’t know anyone’s name, you understand the difficulties of fitting in or communicating. Again, ice breaker questions for work can connect the team in ways that nothing else can.
In this article, I will help you understand what ice breaker questions are, their benefits, and potential negative consequences if the questions go off the rails. I’ll also give you 359 examples of fun ice breakers for work for 2023.
What are Ice Breaker Questions for Work?
Collectively, ice breaker questions for work are a tool to initiate conversation and interaction between coworkers, leaders, and others.
It is an excellent and effective device for disarming negative vibes, building trust, improving overall communication, and establishing ease of accessibility. This is essential if the company presents an open-door policy.
Ice breakers are a positive, fun, and exciting way to break away from work stress, let your shoulders down, and smile.
They can be a lifesaver for workers who struggle with personal issues. Sometimes, it takes one person to reach out in kindness to change someone else’s world.
Ice breaker questions can be used in different ways, depending on the situation and goal. They may be used as a group activity to motivate teamwork and increase productivity and communication.
They can also be rolled off on-the-fly to someone passing by to cheer them up from a rough day or to validate their presence.
Some companies use group games and activities to kick off ice breakers among workers. To level up interest, many will add gifts or prizes for participation. The benefits of using fun ice breakers at work far surpass the investment of doing the event.
Benefits of Using Fun Ice Breaker Questions at Work
Two of the most important benefits of using fun ice breaker questions at work are: It signals to each person that they matter and creates a strong sense of community and inclusion.
When workers feel and trust that they are valued and are an accepted part of a unified team, their motivation for life and work soars upward.
With their purpose acknowledged and appreciated, workers can use it to guide their decisions. It will also help them create future goals, influence their behavior for the better, and add a deeper sense of meaning and overall happiness to their life.
These are only a few of the tremendous benefits of using ice breakers in the workplace:
When Ice Breaker Questions Go Wrong
There is a potential for ice breaker questions to go south. You do not want this to happen in your workplace because the negative ramifications are nearly irreparable and far-reaching.
To help you avoid this from happening, check out this list of don’ts and dos when asking ice breaker questions. You won’t be sorry for committing these to long-term memory.
Reminder: It is a great idea to run your list of questions by your Human Resources Administrator just to be on the safe side. You certainly want ice breakers to be a fun experience for everyone.
Armed with the knowledge of what ice breaker questions are and their benefits and potential blunders, it’s time to learn some fun and quirky ice breaker questions for your workplace.
359 Fun Ice Breaker Questions for Work in 2023
Ice breaker questions exist for every type of coworker or employee. They can be as fun and variable as your imagination can create.
Let’s start cracking ice right now.
For New Coworkers
- Home or office?
- Desk doodads or clear space?
- Coffee, tea, or energy drinks?
- What was your worst job ever?
- What’s your nickname?
- What was the first job you ever had?
- Who is your childhood superhero?
- Half-hour lunch break or an hour lunch break?
- What would have been your career choice 150 years ago?
- What past employer had the best break room?
- What makes your life easier?
- What is the longest you’ve ever had to wait to use the microwave?
- What is the longest you’ve ever had to wait to use the restroom?
- Do you ever exaggerate?
- What is the most challenging job you’ve ever had?
- Have you ever relocated for a job opportunity?
- Where is the strangest location you’ve ever worked?
- What are the best jobs in the world to you?
- Did your last employer bring pets to work?
- Do you ever feel like Luke Skywalker battled Darth Vader at work?
- What is your favorite breakfast food?
For a New Boss
- “Parks & Rec” or “The Office?”
- A cruise ship or road trip?
- Self-supervise or micro-manage?
- What is your dream job?
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
- What would the title of your autobiography be?
- Does your car have a name?
- Do you support National Coffee Day as a work holiday?
- Do you ever show up late for work?
- Do you believe aliens live here on Earth?
- Do you believe in Santa Claus?
- If you had your own business, what would it be?
- What does “Let your hair down!” mean to you?
- What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done for money?
- Have you ever been a mentor?
- What is your leadership style?
- What is the oddest thing you have in your office?
- What character would have been in the old west?
- Who influenced your life the most?
- What should the company’s mascot be?
- Wisdom or money?
For a Shy Coworker
- What is your dream destination?
- What would be your first purchase if you won the lottery?
- Are you a traveler or a homebody?
- What is your favorite hobby?
- If you could trade jobs with anyone, who would it be?
- What is your favorite way to de-stress?
- What is your superpower?
- Cookies, brownies, or fruit?
- When was the last time you laughed really hard?
- Are you a morning person or night person?
- What was your most favorite birthday ever?
- What is the strangest thing in your office desk?
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- What is your biggest phobia?
- Who is your celebrity crush?
- What is one weird fact you know?
- What are your hidden talents?
For a Lively Coworker
- What is the best last purchase you made?
- What is your favorite dance move?
- What is one thing you have never done?
- What is your claim to fame?
- What is your best asset or talent?
- What is your dream career?
- What is the weirdest thing you’ve ever done?
- What is your all-time favorite summertime thing to do?
- What are you most excited about in your life right now?
- If you won the lottery, would you quit your job?
- If you won the lottery and quit, how many coworkers would you miss?
- What job would you detest having during the winter holiday season?
- What is the most awkward thing you’ve ever done?
- Who is your favorite comedian?
For a Foodie Coworker
- Martha Stewart or Julia Child?
- Best food dish ever?
- What is your craziest memory around food?
- What would be your last meal ever?
- Pizza or tacos?
- Beer, wine, or mineral water?
- What is the strangest food you’ve ever eaten?
- Ice cream or gelato?
- What food will you never eat?
- What is your favorite vegetable?
- Air-fried or deep-fried?
- What was your typical lunch as a kid?
- Do you have a favorite Tik-Tok food trend?
- Where do you buy the best produce and groceries?
- Have you ever eaten frog legs?
- Have you ever eaten alligator?
- What is your favorite fish dish?
- What is your favorite meal to prepare?
- Do you like cooking for gatherings?
- What is your favorite cuisine?
- What is lunchtime like at your job?
- Do you have difficulty finding the salt and pepper shakers at work?
- Is a hotdog a sandwich?
For a Soccer Parent Coworker
- Soccer or softball?
- Disney or Pixar?
- Shoelaces or Velcro?
- What is a popular kids’ song that gets stuck in your head?
- Kids with smartphones or kids with earthworms?
- Disneyland or Disney World?
- How do you juggle home and work schedules?
- Do your kids ask about what you do at work?
- Do your kids want to follow in your footsteps?
- Do you ever miss important milestones with your kids because of work?
- What is the worst thing you got caught doing as a kid?
- What is your favorite memorable childhood game?
- What was the silliest thing you did as a kid?
- McDonald’s or cook at home?
- String cheese or mac and cheese?
For a Single Coworker
- Who would be your celebrity dream dinner date?
- Match.com or eHarmony?
- Have you ever had a blind date go wrong?
- Why do people single you out for being single?
- What is your favorite karaoke song to sing?
- Do you ever work late hours so others can leave early?
- What is the one thing you wish your coworkers knew?
- Do you feel like your coworkers understand you?
- Do you feel included in work-related tasks or events?
- What is the worst date you’ve ever been on?
- Beach or mountains?
- Solitude or companionship?
- More money or more time?
- What is your best party trick?
- What is your favorite guilty pleasure?
- What is your favorite self-care treatment?
- Who do you admire most in the world?
For a Workout or Sports Fan Coworker
- Yoga or Pilates?
- 3 lb. hand weights or 5 lb.?
- Walking or jogging?
- Water or Gatorade?
- Patriots or Colts?
- 49ers or Sea Hawks?
- Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant?
- What was your first car?
- Billiards or darts?
- What is your favorite sport?
- What is your favorite exercise?
- Richard Simmons or Jillian Michaels?
- How many times a week do you work out?
- NBA, NFL, or NHL?
- Which sports team is the GOAT?
- What is your favorite workout music?
- Kayaking or surfing?
- Running or swimming?
- What was your best golf score ever?
- How often do you hike?
- Where is your favorite place to hike?
- If you kayak, where is your favorite place?
- Do you lift weights?
- Are you on a special diet?
- Have you ever won a sports trophy?
For an Avid Reader Coworker
- Which book’s universe would you live in if you could?
- Who is your favorite author of all time?
- “Harry Potter” or “Lord of the Rings?”
- What is the best book you’ve read lately?
- How many books do you read in a year?
- What is your favorite foreign language book?
- Have you ever read a Harlequin Romance novel?
- What is your favorite magazine?
- Do you prefer digital copy or hard copy?
- What is the most motivational book you’ve ever read?
- Do you belong to a book club?
- Have you ever thought of writing a novel?
- Do you ever get stuck in a bookstore?
- Do you listen to audiobooks?
- Does it bother you when someone uses the word “Irregardless?”
- What author would you love to meet?
For a Fashion or Art Lover Coworker
- Skims or Spanx?
- Best fashion trend ever?
- Natural hair or something else?
- Who is/was the greatest artist ever?
- What was Picasso’s middle name?
- Who was Dalí’s biggest rival?
- What is an out-of-style fashion trend you want to come back?
- Have you ever taken art lessons?
- What is your favorite type of art?
- Where is the finest museum you’ve ever visited?
- Have you ever been to a high-profile fashion show?
- Watercolors or oil-based?
- What are your favorite 3-D art textures?
- Do you create art, and what kind?
- What is your favorite shape to doodle?
- What is your favorite theatre project?
- Have you ever acted on stage?
- What fashion or art trend do you wish would vanish today?
- What is the funniest work of art you’ve seen recently?
- What is your favorite hair color dye?
For a Music Lover Coworker
- Live concert or karaoke?
- Best band ever?
- The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?
- Willie Nelson or Chris Stapleton?
- Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix?
- What instrument do you play?
- Who is the most famous musician or singer you’ve ever met?
- Rihanna or Beyoncé?
- Drake or Usher?
- What song could you listen to every day for the rest of your life?
- Analog or digital?
- What song reflects your personality?
- Do you own a turntable?
- What was your favorite record, 8-track, or cassette album?
- Disco or punk?
- Hip-Hop or R&B?
- Country or Jazz?
- Do you sing?
- Do you ever get stuck in a music store?
- What was the last live concert you attended?
For a TV or Movie Buff Coworker
- Gandalf or Magneto?
- Xavier or Captain Picard?
- “Casa Blanca” or “Lawrence of Arabia?”
- “The Walking Dead” or “Game of Thrones?”
- “The Woman King” or “Black Panther?”
- Schwarzenegger or Stallone?
- Netflix or HBO Max?
- “John Wick: Chapter 4” or “Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves?”
- Do you have an excellent TV show idea?
- Do you personally know a celebrity actor?
- Who is/was the greatest actor that ever lived?
- Halle Bailey or Thuso Mbedu?
- What is the last series you binge-watched?
- Which TV or movie character is most like you?
- What is your favorite indie film?
- What is the scariest movie you’ve ever seen?
- If you could create a reality TV show, what would be the title?
- What show or movie has the most twisted plot you’ve ever seen?
- “It” or “Cujo?”
- What movie reflects your personality?
- Film Noir or Neo-Noir?
- Martin Scorsese or Francis Ford Coppola?
- “Star Wars” or “Star Trek?”
- Have you ever acted in front of the camera or on stage?
- What movie have you watched over and over the most?
- Have you ever made your own movie or video?
- Soap operas or reality TV?
- Apocalyptic movies or fantasy movies?
- Have you ever attended a talk show or podcast?
- Do you like ghost shows?
- Who should have won an Oscar but didn’t?
- What was the best Elvis movie released?
- What was the best “Friends” scene ever?
- Would you rather be eaten by zombies or aliens?
- Rod Serling or Alfred Hitchcock?
- What is the worst film or TV show you’ve ever seen?
- Movie theaters or streaming?
- What is your favorite line from TV or film?
- Can you do a celebrity impression?
For an Animal Lover Coworker
- Dogs, cats, or horses?
- Purina or Blue Buffalo?
- Animals or people?
- Long coat or short coat?
- Do you love a reptile?
- If you could be any animal, what would it be?
- Elephants or giraffes?
- What is the strangest animal you’ve ever seen?
- What is the closest encounter you’ve ever had with a wild animal?
- Have you ever taken a stray home with you?
- Do you wish your pet could talk?
- What would your pet say if it could talk?
- What is the funniest thing your pet does?
- Parrots or parakeets?
- Do you visit animal shelters or rescues often?
- What is the quirkiest pet name you’ve ever heard?
For a Tech Nerd Coworker
- Facebook, Instagram, or YouTube?
- PC or Mac?
- Analog or digital?
- HP, Dell, or Seagate?
- Artificial Intelligence or Natural Intelligence?
- Thumb drive or flash drive?
- If offered, would you take a round-trip rocket to Mars?
- Do you believe in teleportation?
- What is on your bucket list?
- What is your favorite phone app?
- What is your favorite gaming platform?
- Ion batteries or regular batteries?
- What do you think will be the top-tier jobs in 50 years?
- Will A.I. take over tech jobs?
- Will working at a facility on the moon include a Starbucks?
- What will replace smartphones in the future?
- Could you live without social media?
- How often do you forget passwords?
- Do you trust airport chargers?
- What is the coolest website you’ve experienced?
- If you could time travel, where would you go?
- What is the best Wi-Fi name you’ve ever seen?
- What is the one item you simply can’t live without?
For Team Building & Trust Building
- What is your favorite team-themed movie?
- What is your main contribution to the team?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What is your favorite vacation destination?
- What is your first memory of ever being on a team?
- Are Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny a working team?
- Did you ever play team sports?
- What is the most random thing on you right now?
- What is one thing your team doesn’t know about you?
- Where do you want to be in your career in 5 years?
- What is your greatest work-related accomplishment?
- How has the internet or AI affected your job?
- Who is your most memorable team leader?
- Which team role do you enjoy the most?
- What is your personality type?
- Are you a follower or a leader?
- Do you eat lunch at your desk to keep working?
- When was the last time you had a day off for self-care?
- To you, what is the most critical work skill?
- How do you describe your communication skills?
- What would you rather be doing instead of working?
- What should companies offer to all employees?
- What de-stresses you when you leave work?
- What causes you work stress?
- How does office politics play into your stress levels?
- Does “9 to 5” ever play in your head at work?
- Who on your team is most likely to thrive on a deserted island?
- What historical figure would you choose to be on your team?
- Should employees be able to rate supervisors and team leaders?
- How does science apply to your job?
- What would make work more enticing and fun?
- What would increase employee retention?
- Should companies offer all employees free coffee at any time?
- What are your thoughts on vending machines?
- Have you ever not received credit for your ideas or hard work?
Random Ice Breakers
- What are you most grateful for?
- Who is/was the most influential person in your life?
- What is your favorite season?
- Will A.I. replace humanity?
- What is your superpower?
- Where do you feel most like yourself?
- Do you believe in alien life?
- What is the most precious thing in your life right now?
- Is there anything you wish you knew more about?
- Would you live on the moon if offered?
- Clowns or dolls?
- If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
- Did you ever want to run away with the circus?
- Can you walk a tightrope?
- Have you ever put your head in a lion’s mouth?
- Have you ever put your head in a crocodile’s mouth?
- What is your favorite board game?
- Do you own a manual typewriter?
- Do you love visiting flea markets?
- Do you participate in Black Friday shopping?
- What is the dirtiest job you’ve ever had?
- What will be your 15 minutes to fame?
- What talent do you wish you had?
- Can you dance?
- Do you sing in the shower?
- How many hot toddies do you need to go to sleep at night?
- Would you ever accept a job position in Antarctica?
- What does “living the good life” mean to you?
- What is the best harmless practical joke you have ever played on someone?
- Do you cut your own hair?
- Who is the most interesting person you’ve ever met?
- What is your favorite city to travel to?
- Have your musical preferences changed in the last ten years?
- What is your favorite “polite” insult?
- When did you realize you grew up?
- What is the most exciting thing you will do upon retirement?
- What is the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever said in a team meeting?
Final Thoughts on Fun Ice Breaker Questions for Work
Fun ice breaker questions for work for 2023 are a brilliant way to connect and unite employees to form powerful and productive work teams. The physical, mental, and emotional benefits it brings to each person and each team are priceless.
With a creative imagination and motivation to improve workers' lives, the teams they serve, and the company as a whole, miracles can be done.
When everyone feels included and is a valued part of a team, productivity, happiness, and progress will soar.
Take a look at 51 Affirmations for Career Success and Advancement for affirmations to improve your self-talk about your career and opportunities.
And if you want more articles about interesting questions to ask, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 101 Ice Breaker Questions for Kids That They’ll Love
- 129 Existential Questions for a Fun Philosophical Conversation
- 63 Fun Ice Breaker Questions & Conversation Starters for Teens