There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
You will often hear people saying this when everything is crumbling down around them. Sometimes life does suck—but those times eventually pass, and we’d like to think that life is more of a roller coaster than a pit of despair. After all, there are also times when life is magical.
In this article, we share with you 41 life sucks quotes that you may be able to relate to. They are mixed in with quotes that can help you change your ways and get back up whenever life sucksthe energy out of you.
But before we proceed, let’s discuss a few reasons why you need these quotes in your life.
There are times when you will feel like you are alone, trapped in a world where no one relates to you. You might feel like you have no one to back you up, and it can be really difficult to open yourself up to others.
This is why quotes are more important than you might think. When you cannot find the comfort you need from the people or things around you, encouraging words can help. You can find comfort in reading quotes from people who have gone through the same things as you.
Without further ado, let’s check out our quotes about life sucking. Hopefully they will help motivate you, even when you feel like the world is against you!
41 Life Sucks Quotes (and How to Make a Change)
- “We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life.” – William Osler
- “Not everything happens for a reason. Sometimes life just sucks.” – Alexa Chung
“Not everything happens for a reason. Sometimes life just sucks.” – Alexa Chung
- “No matter how interminable something feels, there is always, always an ending. Sometimes that’s good, and sometimes it’s bad; sometimes it’s a matter of indifference, and sometimes it’s heartbreaking, and your life is never the same thereafter.” – Ann Aguirre
- “Maybe it is not the life that sucks. Maybe it is just the people you let in your life that suck.” – Unknown
- “Life is going to get hard sometimes, so get the fuck up and get your shit together. You’re either an ocean or a puddle. Don’t be a puddle. People walk through puddles like they’re nothing. Oceans fucking destroy cities.” – Unknown
- “It’s only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything.” – Chuck Palahniuk
- “Life is a gamble better check the point spread and when life sucks, I just enjoy the head.” – Lil Wayne
- “Mastery is not measured by the number of terrible things you eliminate from your life, but by the number of times you eliminate calling them terrible.” – Neale Donald Walsch
- “Life is a shit sandwich. But if you’ve got enough bread, you don’t taste the shit.” – Jonathan Winters
- “In life when horrible things happen, sometimes we have to laugh.” – Laverne Cox
- “The truth is that life is delicious, horrible, charming, frightful, sweet, bitter, and that is everything.” – Anatole France
- “Things happen in life and you can’t control them. It sucks and you have to move on.” – Abbi Glines
- “Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live.” – Charles Bukowski
- “God knows life sucks. It’s right there in the Bible. The book of Job is all about Job asking God to take away pain and misery. And God says, “I can’t take away pain and misery because then no one would talk to me.” – Bill Maher
- “As much as life can suck, it always beats the alternative.” – John Green
“As much as life can suck, it always beats the alternative.” – John Green
- “Yeah, sometimes life really sucks,” she says. “But you know what I’m holding on for?” I raise my eyebrows. She raises hers, too, mimicking me. “The moments that don’t suck,” she says. “The trick is to notice them when they come around.” – Veronica Roth
- “Life sucks, get a helmet.” – Denis Leary
- “Bad things happen to good people all the time. It sucks. It’s not fair but then much of life isn’t fair. It’s how you live that matters. It’s how you deal with the bumps in the road.” – Maya Banks
- “Whenever life sucks remember you’re going to die someday.” – Oscar Wilde
- “Life is not lost by dying; life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the thousand small uncaring ways.” – Stephen Vincent Benet
- “Life isn’t a book. There’s no guarantee of a happy ending.” – PC Cast
- “Life sucks, but you have the option to sit there and cry about it or you can simply move on and become stronger.” – Leah Iacono
- “Getting control of life is never easy, and sometimes it can be definitely painful.” – Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- “I believe pain is nature’s way of saying, you’re still alive, and life sucks.” – Bill Engvall
- “Sometimes life turns out hard, Isabel. Sometimes it just bites right through you. And sometimes, just when you think it’s done its worst, it comes back and takes another chunk.” – L. Stedman
- “If you think your life sucks, it probably does. Do something about it.” – Chris Crutcher
- “Bad stuff happens. Sometimes it makes no sense at all. Sometimes it’s unfair. Sometimes, it just plain sucks. Bad stuff happens sometimes. Always remember that, but remember that you have to move on somehow. You just pick your head up and stare at something beautiful like the sky, or the ocean, and you move the hell on.” – James Patterson
- “Sometimes life gives us lessons sent in ridiculous packaging.” – Dar Williams
- “Life is amazing. Even when it sucks, it is amazing, and we should be grateful for every moment.” – Hal Elrod
- “Some people leave, yeah, and it sucks. But some people don’t leave, and they never will. And sometimes people are there, but you just can’t see them. But they’re still there.” – Robin Benway
- “When life sucks and hands you lemons, I say beat the crap out of it and demand some Florida oranges as well.” – Unknown
“When life sucks and hands you lemons, I say beat the crap out of it and demand some Florida oranges as well.” – Unknown
- “Sometimes life just sucks, and all we can do is go to our happy place where we plot our revenge.” – Antsy McClain
- “People are always complaining about how life sucks, well life’s a bitch, deal with it!” – Unknown
- “Life sucks, then you die, so roll a blunt and let’s get high, if at first, you don’t succeed, try again with better weed.” – Massmurder
- “If the world didn’t suck, we’d fall off.” – Unknown
- “Life is little more than a loan shark: It exacts a very high rate of interest for the few pleasures it concedes.” – Luigi Pirandello
- “Whenever life sucks, remember you’re going to die someday. So, any day above ground is a good day.” – Unknown
- “When life sucks, read. They can’t yell at you for that. And if they do, then you can ignore them.” – LauriHalse Anderson
- “Life sucks, but in a beautiful kind of way.” – Axl Rose
- “The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken place. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it.” – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Final Thoughts on Life Sucks Quotes
Life may not always be rainbows and butterflies, but it is also not always bad. Even if your life sucks right now, you can always change its course.
We hope that we were able to encourage you with these life sucks quotes. If you feel like you have hit rock bottom, read them find a few that you relate to. They just might help you turn things around!
And if you want more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 105 Empathy Quotes That Demonstrate Compassion for Others
- 91 Ungrateful Quotes for Dealing with Thankless People
- 101 Toxic People Quotes to Stay Away from Negativity
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.