There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Work, bills, loans, people—there are probably a lot of things that stress you out.
Problems are inevitable, and getting stressed over them is just a part of life.
But what do you do when the stress eats you up? How do you recover from all the anxiety and fear?
Words can be a powerful tool to help calm your nerves. They may not solve all your worries, but they can be exactly what you need to start the process of de-stressing.
In this article, we have gathered 43 stress relief quotes that can help you relax and stay calm whenever you are feeling down.
But before we proceed to our list, let us first share with you some of the reasons why feeling a little bit stressed is okay and not something you need to feel bad about.
Why It’s Okay to Feel Stressed Out Sometimes
As we mentioned, problems are inevitable, and so are the stresses that come along with them. You can’t be happy and positive all the time—you are bound to experience a bit of negativity and uncertainty from time to time. You will feel fear and worry on occasion, and that’s okay.
There is nothing wrong with feeling anxious or stressed out—it’s just a part of being human. Stressing out over things—whether important or not—is a sign that you can feel and that your heart is working. There is no one in history who has never been stressed at some point.
Stress can be a lot more beneficial than you think. It can be an opportunity to develop your tolerance and endurance. Being able to get back up after a stressful situation can help you become stronger, bolder, and tougher.
Let’s check some stress relief quotes that can help you cope when things get tough!
43 Stress Relief Quotes & Sayings to Help You Relax
- “It’s not the events of our lives that shape us, but our beliefs as to what those events mean.” – Tony Robbins
- “Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a horse master. He told me to go slow to go fast. I think that applies to everything in life. We live as though there aren’t enough hours in the day but if we do each thing calmly and carefully we will get it done quicker and with much less stress.” – Viggo Mortensen
- “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” – Oprah Winfrey
“Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “The more tranquil a man becomes, the greater is his success, his influence, his power for good. Calmness of mind is one of the beautiful jewels of wisdom.” – James Allen
- “Once you accept, truly accept, that stuff will happen to you and there is nothing you can do about it, stress miraculously leaves your life.” – Srikumar Rao
- “The day she let go of the things that were weighing her down, was the day she began to shine the brightest.” – Katrina Mayer
- “Remember that stress doesn’t come from what’s going on in your life. It comes from your thoughts about what’s going on in your life.” – Andrew J. Bernstein
- “Stress acts as an accelerator: it will push you either forward or backward, but you choose which direction.” – Chelsea Erieau
- “I promise you nothing is as chaotic as it seems. Nothing is worth diminishing your health. Nothing is worth poisoning yourself into stress, anxiety, and fear.” – Steve Maraboli
- “You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” – Martin Luther King
- “Getting stress out of your life takes more than prayer alone. You must take action to make changes and stop doing whatever is causing the stress. You can learn to calm down in the way you handle things.” – Joyce Meyer
- “Breath is the power behind all things…. I breathe in and know that good things will happen.” – Tao Porchon-Lynch
- “Take chances, make mistakes–that is how we grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.” – Mary Tyler Moore
- “What you’re supposed to do when you don’t like a thing is change it. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it. Don’t complain.” – Maya Angelou
- “There are thousands of causes for stress, and one antidote to stress is self-expression. That's what happens to me every day. My thoughts get off my chest, down my sleeves and onto my pad.” – Garson Kanin
- “Relax. No one else knows what they’re doing either.” – Ricky Gervais
- “The next time you are tempted to get anxious or upset about something – especially something in the past or the future – think about what you are doing and turn your mind to what is going on today.” – Joyce Meyers
- “The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.” – William James
- “No beating yourself up. That’s not allowed. Be patient with yourself. It took you years to form the bad habits of thought that you no longer want. It will take a little time to form new and better ones. But I promise you this: Even a slight move in this direction will bring you some peace. The more effort you apply to it, the faster you’ll find your bliss, but you’ll experience rewards immediately.” – Holly Mosier
- “Your calm mind is the ultimate weapon against your challenges. So relax.” – Bryant McGill
- “Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answers.” – William S. Burroughs
- “When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure.” – Peter Marshall
- “Smiling can be infectious in a workplace to help reduce stress, to help teamwork, to defuse high-pressure situations. The more you smile, the more people will smile back.” – Byron Pulsifer
- “Stress should be a powerful driving force, not an obstacle.” – Bill Phillip
“Stress should be a powerful driving force, not an obstacle.” – Bill Phillip
- “Stress is largely self-inflicted, so the ability to manage stress more effectively comes from managing oneself.” – Michael Hetherington
- “Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.” – Etty Hillesum
- “Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it.” – Kahlil Gibran
- “Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under the trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.” – John Lubbock
- “Don’t believe every worried thought you have. Worried thoughts are notoriously inaccurate.” – Renee Jain
- “You believe that you live in the world, where in fact the world lives within you.” – Deepak Chopra
- “In times of life crisis, whether wildfires or smoldering stress, the first thing I do is go back to basics … am I eating right, am I getting enough sleep, am I getting some physical and mental exercise every day?” – Edward Albert
- “Stress is not what happens to us. It's our response to what happens. And the response is something we can choose.” – Maureen Killoran
- “Live in the moment, day by day, and don’t stress about the future. People are so caught up in looking into the future that they kind of lose what’s in front of them.” – Jenna Ushkowitz
- “My key to dealing with stress is simple: just stay cool and stay focused.” – Ashton Eaton
- “Being in control of your life and having realistic expectations about your day-to-day challenges are the keys to stress management, which is perhaps the most important ingredient to living a happy, healthy, and rewarding life.” – Marilu Henner
- “Times of stress are also times that are signals for growth, and if we use adversity properly, we can grow through adversity.” – Rabbi Dr. Abraham Twerski
- “Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.” – Dr. Robert Anthony
- “Don’t let your mind bully your body into believing it must carry the burden of its worries.” – Astrid Alauda
- “When we commit to action, to actually doing something rather than feeling trapped by events, the stress in our life becomes manageable.” – Greg Anderson
- “Life has many ways of testing a person’s will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen all at once.” – Paulo Coelho
- “You can’t always control what goes on outside, but you can always control what goes on inside.” – Wayne Dyer
Final Thoughts on Stress Relief Quotes
We hope that the stress relief quotes that we provided above are able to help you feel more refreshed and relaxed. Whenever you feel like you are about to break, return to these quotes and tell yourself that you are brave and smart. You can do it!
And if you want more eye-opening quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 51 Do What Makes You Happy Quotes
- 63 Inspiring Walt Whitman Quotes About Life
- 67 Self-Reflection Quotes to Help You Grow as a Person
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.