There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
A little thank you goes a long way.
In this post, we’re going to be delving into all things thankfulness, because its impact can’t be underestimated. The power of gratitude can change lives so quickly, it’s considered one of the most potent life-enhancing forces in nearly every single spiritual or religious tradition.
Seriously, you can sum up a lot of humanity's finest spiritual teachings as simply being thankful for what you have. These thank you quotes will, hopefully, convince you of the same thing.
Before we get to the quotes, let's discuss more on “thank you” and what is.
(Side note: Want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life? Then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success).
What You Will Learn
Did you know that the word thank comes from the Latin “tongere?” It very loosely means to acknowledge what somebody has done for you – hence where we get the term “thank you” from.
How many problems or resentments stem from you thinking that people take you for granted? Whether at work, with friends, or among family, not saying thank you often enough can poison the well of good relations faster than anything.
While our parents might have impressed on us to have good manners and say please and thank you, this is for a very good reason. Nothing makes people feel better than an earnest thank you, and we often gravitate towards people who remember to say thanks for a reason.
We’ve assembled this list of thank you quotes to give insight into the power of gratitude and appreciation. Sometimes taking time to think about the smaller things in life and thank the people around us for what they do can make a tremendous impact on not just our own lives, but the lives of everyone around us.
Often the people that sacrifice the most don’t get the thanks they deserve, our service men and women, those who sacrifice to ensure society runs smoothly, or even friends that don’t hesitate to lend a hand – they deserve all the thank yous we can give and more.
Let’s see the quotes!
- “The true prayer is only of thankfulness; just a simple thank you is enough.” – Osho
- “Thank you for life, and all the little ups and downs that make it worth living.” – Travis Barker
- “The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.” – Max de Pree
- “I am happy because I’m grateful. I choose to be grateful. That gratitude allows me to be happy.” – Will Arnett
- “We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives.” – John F. Kennedy
- “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Contentment is the greatest treasure” – Lao Tzu
- “If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.” – Meister Eckhart
- “The truth is, not saying ‘thank you' does more damage than actually saying ‘thank you' does good.” – Tommy Wyatt
- “Always have an attitude of gratitude.” – Sterling K. Brown
- “Be thankful for everything that happens in your life; it’s all an experience.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say ‘thank you?' “ – William Arthur Ward
- “saying thank you, or offering other words of appreciation, along with sincere compliments and other grateful or kind words are the best way to fortify relationships.” – Chris Johnston
- “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” – John F. Kennedy
- “There’s no happier person than a truly thankful, content person.” – Joyce Meyer
- “I will thank God for the day and the moment I have.” – Jim Valvano
- “In the end, maybe it's wiser to surrender before the miraculous scope of human generosity and to just keep saying thank you, forever and sincerely, for as long as we have voices.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
- “We learned about gratitude and humility—that so many people had a hand in our success.” – Michelle Obama
- “I’m thankful for each and every day. We never know when time is up.” – Chuck Berry
- “I feel a very unusual sensation—if it is not indigestion, I think it must be gratitude.” – Benjamin Disraeli
- “If someone ever says you’re weird say thank you.” – Ellen DeGeneres
- “Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” – Mark Twain
- “When we start paying attention to the services we receive, stop and really see the person who is doing it and take the time to say thank you, our entire day will change.” Brenda Shoshanna
- “Thankfulness brings you to the place where the Beloved lives.” – Rumi
- “Everything we do should be a result of our gratitude for what God has done for us.” – Lauryn Hill
- “Let all your thinks be thanks.” – W.H Auden
- “Who does not thank for little will not thank for much.” – Estonian Proverb
- “Saying thank you is more than good manners, it is good spirituality.” – Alfred Painter
- “From young to old, there are two words that carry a person forth in grace and honor; please and thank you.” – Byron Pulsifer
- “When I pray, I always thank Mother Nature for all the beauty in the world. It’s about having an attitude of gratitude.” – Miranda Kerr
- “Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” – Marcel Proust
- “When eating fruit, remember the one who planted the tree.” – Vietnamese Proverb
- “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” – Willie Nelson
- “None is more impoverished than the one who has no gratitude. Gratitude is a currency that we can mint for ourselves, and spend without fear of bankruptcy.” – Fred De Witt Van Amburgh
- “I never met a bitter person who was thankful. Or a thankful person who was bitter.” – Nick Vujicic
I never met a bitter person who was thankful. Or a thankful person who was bitter.” – Nick Vujicic
- “Reflect upon your present blessings—of which every man has many—not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” – Charles Dickens
- “I think gratitude is a big thing. It puts you in a place where you’re humble.” – Andra Day
- “Wear gratitude like a cloak, and it will feed every corner of your life.” – Rumi
- “There is always, always, always something to be thankful for.” – Anonymous
- “When we focus on our gratitude, the tide of disappointment goes out and the tide of love rushes in.” – Kristin Armstrong
- “You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Thanks for this day, for all birds safe in their nests, for whatever this is, for life.” – Barbara Kingsolver
- “It’s a funny thing about life, once you begin to take note of the things you are grateful for, you begin to lose sight of the things that you lack.” – Germany Kent
- “The smallest thanks is always worth more than the effort it takes to give it” – Unknown
- “I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “There is no better way to thank God for your sight than by giving a helping hand to someone in the dark.” – Hellen Keller
- “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” – G.K. Chesterton
- “A moment of gratitude makes a difference in your attitude.” – Bruce Wilkinson
- “Gratitude is a divine emotion: it fills the heart, but not to bursting; it warms it, but not to fever.” – Charlotte Brontë
- “When you practice gratefulness, there is a sense of respect towards others.” – Dalai Lama
- “Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty.“ – Doris Day
- “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.” – Cicero
- “Silent gratitude isn’t much to anyone.” – Gertrude Stein
- “I'm so thankful for friendship. It beautifies life so much.” – L.M. Montgomery
- “Through the eyes of Gratitude, everything is a miracle.” – Mary Davis
- “It is not joy that makes us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us joyful.” – David Steinall-Rast
- “No one who achieves success does so without acknowledging the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.” – Alfred North Whitehead
- “No duty is more urgent than giving thanks.” – James Allen
- “You ought to be thankful a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you’re lucky you’re not!” – Dr. Seuss
- “If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily.” – Gerald Good
- “If people begin to be more grateful, they will see the wonders of life.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” – Robert Brault
- “The heart that gives thanks is a happy one, for we cannot feel thankful and unhappy at the same time.” – Douglas Wood
- “‘Enough' is a feast.” – Buddhist Proverb
- “Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude.” – A.A. Milne
- “The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; but the thankful heart will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings.” – Henry Ward Beecher
- “The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.” – Dalai Lama
- “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” – William Arthur Ward
- “Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer. And let faith be the bridge you build to overcome evil and welcome good.” – Maya Angelou
- “Strive to find things to be thankful for, and just look for the good in who you are.” – Bethany Hamilton
- “When life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate. And when life is bitter, say thank you and grow.” – Shauna Niequist
- “Joy is the simplest form of gratitude.” – Karl Barth
- “Appreciation can make a day, even change a life. Your willingness to put it all into words is all that is necessary.” – Margaret Cousins
- “Gratitude looks to the Past and love to the Present; fear, avarice, lust, and ambition look ahead.” – C.S Lewis
- “Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.” – Margaret Mitchell
- “Keep your eyes open to your mercies. The man who forgets to be thankful has fallen asleep in life.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
- “What separates privilege from entitlement is gratitude.” – Brené Brown
- “Don't let the sun go down without saying thank you to someone, and without admitting to yourself that absolutely no one gets this far alone.” – Stephen King
- “Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgiving, turn routine jobs into joy and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.” – William Arthur Ward
- “In ordinary life, we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- “Change your expectation for appreciation and the world changes instantly.” – Tony Robbins
- “O Lord that lends me life, lend me a heart replete with thankfulness.” – William Shakespeare
- “Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” – Thornton Wilder
- “The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated.” – William Jones
- “If you fail to carry around with you a heart of gratitude for the love you’ve been so freely given, it is easy for you not to love others as you should.” – Paul David Tripp
- “Thankfulness is the quickest path to joy.” – Jefferson Bethke
- “Thank you for accepting me as I am, with my virtues and defects.” – Jenni Rivera
- “Next to excellence is the appreciation of it.” – William Makepeace Thackery
- “At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.” – Albert Schweitzer
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.” – Albert Schweitzer
- “For me, every hour is grace. And I feel gratitude in my heart each time I can meet someone and look at his or her smile.” – Elie Wiesel
- “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “Feeling grateful or appreciative of someone or something in your life actually attracts more of the things that you appreciate and value into your life.” – Northrup Christiane
- “Gratitude is the of noble souls.” – Aesop
- “Gratitude is a quality similar to electricity: It must be produced and discharged and used up in order to exist at all.” – William Faulkner
- “Appreciation, not possession, makes a thing ours.” – Marty Rubin
- “For the yesterdays and today’s, and the tomorrows I can hardly wait for – Thank you.” – Cecelia Ahern
- “Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don’t unravel.” – Unknown
- “Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” – Voltaire
- “Gratitude bestows reverence…changing forever how we experience life and the world.” – John Milton
- “The soul that gives thanks can find comfort in everything; the soul that complains can find comfort in nothing.” – Hannah Whitall Smith
- “A little ‘thank you’ that you will say to someone for a ‘little favour’ shown to you is a key to unlock the doors that hide unseen ‘greater favours’. Learn to say ‘thank you’ and why not?” – Israelmore Ayivor
- “Well, there's not a day goes by when I don't get up and say thank you to somebody.” – Rod Stewart
- “Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses.” – Alphonse Karr
- “Express gratitude for the greatness of small things.” – Richie Norton
- “I want to thank my momma for pulling up. I want to thank my boys who was with me since day one; thank you for pulling up on me.” – Quavo
- “Thank you“ might be the hardest word to say. We may wonder, what can be so castrating about embracing gratitude?” – Erik Pevernagie
- “Walk together. Feel the heart beats. Experience the presence. This is how to be thankful.” – Amit Ray
- “Thank you, Mom, for the way you managed yourself during the childish, mean, selfish, insensitive, irresponsible, unreasonable, hateful moments I put you through.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
- “It costs nothing to say please and thank you. But forgetting those magic words can cost you everything.” – Frank Sonnenberg
- “No matter how big or small the service is, Always express your Thanks to the person who served you.” – Mohith Agadi
- “You want to become a better person? Just give thanks. Give thanks for all of it.” – Kamand Kojouri
- “Just remember to say THANK YOU sometimes, for all of these everyday extraordinary gifts.” – Scott Stabile
- “Some words can create ‘magic’! The ‘magical words' are- ‘sorry’, ‘please’, ‘excuse me’ and ‘thank you’!” – Md. Ziaul Haque
- “In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy.” – Angie karan
That brings us to the end of our thank you quotes compilation. We hope that they help you understand a little bit more about the power of showing gratitude and appreciation. Without a doubt, a few well-timed thank yous can turn any day into a happier one.
To further deepen your understanding of the power of gratitude – check out these 31 benefits of gratitude: the ultimate science-backed guide.
And of course, thank you for reading!
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Tom Smith is a creative writer with over 6 years of professional experience. He discovered the joy of writing after covering some furniture in his childhood home with graffiti. In later years, he got himself a BA in creative writing and hasn’t looked back. After discovering the power of positive thinking and discovering the spiritual side of life, he believes it's a huge privilege to be able to write about all things personal development.