There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Whilst we all need to put ourselves first from time to time, there’s a fine line between a little self-care and just being plain selfish.
But for some people, that line may as well not exist. It’s all about them because their problems are bigger than yours. Their highs are higher than yours. And their voice is by far louder than yours.
Sound familiar? Maybe you work with someone who fits that profile, or worse still, are related to them. And, despite your ever-patient and understanding nature, you’re most likely fed up with their ‘Me me me’ behavior.
It’s tiring. The egocentric jerk in your life is more demanding than most toddlers. And unlike a two-year-old who’s happy to take a nap, the self-important status never seems to tire.
But here’s the thing… You don’t have to put up with it. And below, we’re going to look at some of the best selfish people quotes to help you deal with these arrogant individuals once and for all.
What’s the Best Way to Deal With a Selfish Person?
In short, there isn’t one. The walls of self-righteousness are too tall for you to climb and too strong for you to knock down.
Your voice can not be heard over theirs. And your opinions are, for the most of no interest, unless of course, it benefits them in some way.
So why do we stick around and put up with the toxic outbursts? Why do we allow ourselves to always be second best, to constantly feel unappreciated and beaten down?
Are we simply choosing to ignore the problems, perhaps fueled with a fear of being alone? Or maybe an unrequited loyalty to that person, sparked by a once kind gesture that’s since long been forgotten.
The truth is, there are no good reasons to stand by a selfish person. You do not owe them your time nor do you have to humor their neediness.
And despite your best efforts, you can not fix them. An egomaniac’s mind can not be soothed like a broken heart, for they can not see the problem. They can not accept responsibility or even acknowledge their actions.
Walk away, or a least step back from the negativity. Remove yourself from the harmful behavior and focus on healing from the damage caused. The journey alongside a self-obsessed soul can be draining, and it’s OK to take some time out to recover.
These 67 selfish people quotes to deal with egocentric jerks are the perfect way to start the process, so let’s jump right in.
67 Selfish People Quotes to Deal with Egocentric Jerks
- “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” – Oscar Wild
- “What are selfish people but ones who use the weakness of others for their own pleasure?” – Unknown
- “To all the selfish people, Stay real. stay loyal or stay away from me.” – Unknown
- “I hate liars, hypocrites, and people who take advantage of people who care about them.” – Unknown
- “The only difference between a hero and the villain is that the villain chooses to use that power in a way that is selfish and hurts other people.” – Chadwick Boseman
- “Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot I only exist to you when you need something.” – Unknown
- “Someone who smiles too much with you can sometimes frown too much with you at your back.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
- “Selfishness comes from poverty in the heart, from the belief that love is not abundant.” – Don Miguel Ruiz
- “Selfishness is thinking more of the benefits you will get on helping someone.” – Unknown
- “No man will work for your interests unless they are his.”- David Seabury
- “We all should rise, above the clouds of ignorance, narrowness, and selfishness.” – Booker T. Washington
- “The real measure of selfishness is by asking a person how much he is willing to sacrifice.” – Unknown
- ““Selfish people also tend to have victim mindsets… Their actions plant seeds of loneliness; then they cry upon the blooming.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Oh Sorry! I forgot. I only exist whenever you need something.” – Unknown
- “Selfishness is the greatest curse of the human race.” – William E. Gladstone
- “I am thankful for the selfish people in my life. They have shown me, exactly who I don’t want to be.” – Unknown
- “Fake friends show their true colors when they don't need you anymore.” – Unknown
- “It's way too easy to see the real face of a person. They're amiable and full of pretense when they want something from you, but the minute you don't give in, back away or put yourself first, as they do, is the minute they show you who they are.” – Donna Lynn Hope
- “The most miserable people are those who only care about themselves, understand only their own troubles and see only their own perspective.” – Unknown
- “Selfish people don’t care about you, unless you are doing something for them.” – Unknown
- “Almost every sinful action ever committed can be traced back to a selfish motive. It’s a trait we hate in other people but justify in ourselves.” – Stephen Kendrick, The Love Dare
- “Selfish friends only have themselves in the end.” – Unknown
- “If you live your life as if everything is about you. You will be left with just that. Just you.” – Unknown
- “Stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings, and emotions.” – Unknown
- “A man is nothing more than the things he does to get what he wants.” – Hal Ackerman
- “No matter how good your heart is, eventually you have to start treating people the way they treat you.” – Unknown
- “They're not happy for you because they wish it was them.” – Carlos Wallace
- “You can’t expect to have a deep relationship with a shallow person.” – Doe Zantamata
- “Toxic people defy logic. Some are blissfully unaware of the negative impact that they have on those around them, and others seem to derive satisfaction from creating chaos and pushing other people’s buttons.” – Travis Bradberry
- “Some people aren’t loyal to you, they are loyal to their need of you. Once their needs change, so does their loyalty.” – Unknown
- “You are too full of your own hopes to hold anyone else's.” – Joe Abercrombie
- “If I doubt your intentions I will never trust your actions.” – Carlos Wallace
- “The best way to deal with someone that only wants you when it’s convenient to them is to not deal with them at all.” – Unknown
- “When someone shows you who they really are, believe them.” – Maya Angelou
- “Selfishness is when you only remember a friend if you need something from them.” – Unknown
Selfishness is when you only remember a friend if you need something from them.” – Unknown
- “Biggest lesson learned this year is probably not to give so much of yourself to people who will not do the same for you.” – Unknown
- “Silence Speaks Volumes. People may not always tell you how they feel about you, but they will always show you. Pay attention.” – Unknown
- “It's not my job to make you happy. It's your job to learn that only those who quit selfishly seeking their own happiness find it.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
- “Just remember when you are ignoring them, you are teaching them to live without you.” – Unknown
- “Sometimes you think you’re helping someone up, but they’re actually pulling you down. This is the painful dynamic of dealing with someone who is incurably selfish.” – Unknown
- “Intensely selfish people are always very decided as to what they wish. They do not waste their energies in considering the good of others.” – Ouida, Wanda, Countess von Szalras
- “When you say “No” to a toxic family, you say “Yes” to loving yourself.” – Unknown
- “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Keep calm and avoid selfish people.” – Unknown
- “Selfishness is the most unattractive virtue a mortal can possess.” – Suyasha Subedi
- “A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small bundle.” – Unknown
- “Don't let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise your rent and kick them out.” – Unknown
- “A selfish man doesn’t care if his best friend drowns beside him.” – Joe Cervantes
- “Glory built on selfish principles is shame and guilt.” – Unknown
- “Don’t fear the enemy that attacks you, but the phony good friend that hugs you.” – Unknown
- ““If you want to be a generous giver, you have to watch out for selfish takers.” – Adam Grant
- , the ignorant, and the constantly angry all tend to be the same person.” – Wayne Gerard Trotman
- “Relationships aren’t designed for selfish individuals.” – Unknown
- “Selfish people often mistake selfishness for strength. It takes no talent no intelligence no self-control and no effort to sacrifice other people for your ego.” – Unknown
- “Self-absorbed people don’t realize how selfish they’ve become.” – Unknown
- “Selfishness is a swamp that sucks in all and gives back nothing.” – John Thornton
- “A selfish man performs an act of goodness by painful and strenuous effort, and merely to escape the reproaches of conscience.” – Unknown
- “A lot of people who have experienced trauma at the hands of people they’ve trusted take responsibility, and that is what’s toxic.” – Hannah Gadsby
- “Someone somewhere (maybe in your circle) wants you to fail. Why give them the satisfaction?” – Carlos Wallace
- “In order to be happy, one must first let go of all pettiness and selfish attachments.” – Dee Waldeck
- “People always remember one time you did not help but the million times you help them.” – Unknown
- “Selfishness may result in one's sense of superiority, but life as such will surely deny them.” – Eraldo Banovac
- “Better not to plant seeds of selfishness than try to eradicate them once they have grown into giant weeds.” – Prem Prakash
- “I have no respect or sympathy for people who act like they’re the only one that’s going through something in life.” – Unknown
- “Selfishness at the expense of others is bad. Self-care for the betterment of others is good.” – Richie Norton
- “Selfish people tend to only be good to themselves than are surprised when they are alone.” – Unknown
- “Self-centered people have only one topic to talk about… THEMSELVES.” – Stef Harder
Final Thoughts on Dealing With Selfish People
We can all be a little selfish now and then – it’s human nature. But when faced with someone who is consistently thinking only of themselves, it’s time to reconsider their place in your life.
Though it may be difficult to distance yourself from them, the never-ending cycle of self-centeredness will leave you tired and resentful. Know that their behavior is unlikely to change and by stepping away, you are protecting yourself from the toxic environment they create.
These new day quotes to start your morning the right way are perfect for moving your focus away from the built-up negativity and onto a happier future.
And if you want more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 91 Ungrateful Quotes for Dealing with Thankless People
- 101 Toxic People Quotes to Stay Away from Negativity
- 73 Haters Quotes for Dealing with Negative People
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.