There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
For most of us, life is busy, chaotic, and, at times, stressful. The list of expectations and obligations are ever-growing, with our own needs often shunted aside.
But without that much-needed “you-time”, burnout is inevitable. The constant cycle of daily demands and obligations, be it from a strained relationship, an arduous job, or the 24/7 pressures of parenting, is exhausting.
There's no denying that life is tough. But by making small changes, like getting plenty of sleep or being grateful for the things around you, you’ll start feeling more energized and able to achieve your goals.
Nurture your well-being in ways that work for you and remember to treat your mind, body, and soul, not as individuals, but as a whole with the balance and kindness it deserves.
Your well-being should always be your priority. Try to approach each day with a positive mindset.
To get started, you can embrace this mindset by reading these 79 self-care quotes for your mind, body, and soul to help inspire and remind you of the importance of being kind to yourself.
But first, let’s start with a simple definition.
What is Self-Care?
Self-care is a phrase often used but not always understood. Because while some people believe it’s all about candles, yoga, and meditation (which, incidentally, are great tools), there’s a lot more to it.
Or a lot less, depending on you and your lifestyle. There's no one rule for all. Some people thrive on mountain walks and organic eating, whereas others find pleasure in more simple acts, like having a cuppa in the morning sun.
However you choose to incorporate self-care, good habits will help balance your mind, body, and soul. Try switching off your phone for an hour (or four) and spending time connecting with yourself.
Or maybe you just need to say no. No to that overtime at work; no to getting involved in someone else’s problems.
And that’s OK. Adopting a self-care relationship doesn’t make you selfish or thoughtless. It just means you’re allowing yourself to flourish mentally, physically, and emotionally.
Okay, now let’s dive into those quotes…
79 Self Care Quotes for Your Mind, Body & Soul
- “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Until you value yourself, you won’t value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.” – M. Scott Peck
- “I make it a point to practice self-care. I make an appointment with myself.” – Manisha Singal
- The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself.” – Anna Quindlen
- “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” – Audre Lorde
- “Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.” – Hermann Hesse
- “Care for your psyche…know thyself, for once we know ourselves, we may learn how to care for ourselves.” – Socrates
- “Grab a coffee. Journal your intentions. Get to work. Create miracles.” – Elyse Santilli
- “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.” – Anne Lamott
- “Self-care means giving yourself permission to pause.” – Cecilia Tran
- “When we care for ourselves as our very own beloved—with naps, healthy food, clean sheets, a lovely cup of tea—we can begin to give in wildly generous ways to the world, from abundance.” – Anne Lamott
- “Honestly, self-care is not fluffy. It’s something we should take seriously.” – Kris Carr
- “Your well-being affects (and is affected by) those waves through small ripples of self-care and the decisions you make.” – Melissa Steginus
- “One person’s self-care isn’t necessarily another’s—there is going to be a lot of individuality.” – Gail Saltz, M.D.
- “You can’t really be present for the people in your life if you aren’t taking care of yourself.” – Kerry Washington
- “Do something nice for yourself today. Find some quiet, sit in stillness, breathe. Put your problems on pause. You deserve a break.” – Akiroq Brost
- “Nourishing yourself in a way that helps you blossom in the direction you want to go is attainable, and you are worth the effort.” – Deborah Day
- “We can climb mountains with self-love.” – Samira Wiley
- “Mind. Body. Soul. These are the three things self-care is all about.” – Kathy Sledge
- “Self-care means considering yourself a worthwhile person and presenting yourself as valuable, capable, and deserving. In other words, self-care seeks to redress an imbalance that develops when you don’t take proper care of yourself, whether by inattention or by choice.” – Arin Murphy-Hiscock
- “I love you but I got to love me more.” – Peggi Speers
- “Always make decisions that prioritize your inner peace.” – Izey Victoria Odiase
- “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” – Jack Kornfield
- “Self-care is your fuel … Whatever the road ahead or the path you’ve taken, self-care is what keeps your motor running and your wheels turning.” – Melissa Steginus
- “Life should be touched, not strangled. You've got to relax, let it happen at times, and at others move forward with it.” – Ray Bradbury
- “Carve out and claim the time to care for yourself and kindle your own fire.” – Amy Ippoliti
- “Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it’s holy ground. There’s no greater investment.” – Stephen Covey
- “This revolutionary act of treating ourselves tenderly can begin to undo the aversive messages of a lifetime.” – Tara Brach
- “Affirmations are our mental vitamins, providing the supplementary positive thoughts we need to balance the barrage of negative events and thoughts we experience daily.” – Tia Walker
- “Every morning, look in the mirror and affirm positive words into your life.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “There are days I drop words of comfort on myself like falling leaves and remember that it is enough to be taken care of by myself.” – Brian Andreas
- “When you say ‘yes’ to others make sure you are not saying ‘no’ to yourself.” – Paulo Coelho
- “Don't sacrifice yourself too much, because if you sacrifice too much there's nothing else you can give, and nobody will care for you.” – Karl Lagerfeld
- “Take time to do what makes your soul happy.” – Unknown
- “When I loved myself enough, I began leaving whatever wasn't healthy. This meant people, jobs, my own beliefs and habits – anything that kept me small. My judgement called it disloyal. Now I see it as self-loving.” – Kim McMillen
- “Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” – Unknown
- “Be you, love you. All ways, always.” – Alexandra Elle
- “Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.” – Etty Hillesum
- “Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others.” – Christopher Germer
- “When you are compassionate with yourself, you trust in your soul, which you let guide your life. Your soul knows the geography of your destiny better than you do.” – John O’Donohue
- “The challenge is not to be perfect—it is to be whole.” – Jane Fonda
- “Accept yourself. Love yourself as you are. Your finest work, your best movements, your joy, peace, and healing come when you love yourself. You give a great gift to the world when you do that. You give others permission to do the same: to love themselves. Revel in self-love. Roll in it. Bask in it as you would sunshine.” – Melodie Beattie
- “Invent your world. Surround yourself with people, color, sounds, and work that nourish you.” – Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy
- “Self-love is asking yourself what you need – every day – and then making sure you receive it.” – Unknown
- “Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” – Eleanor Brown
- “Whatever you are doing, love yourself for doing it. Whatever you are feeling, love yourself for feeling it.” – Thaddeus Golas
Whatever you are doing, love yourself for doing it. Whatever you are feeling, love yourself for feeling it.” – Thaddeus Golas
- “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
- “I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self-indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival.” – Audre Lorde
- “Keep good company, read good books, love good things and cultivate soul and body as faithfully as you can.” – Louisa May Alcott
- “Put yourself at the top of your to-do list every single day, and the rest will fall into place.” – Unknown
- “If you feel “burnout” setting in, if you feel demoralized and exhausted, it is best, for the sake of everyone, to withdraw and restore yourself.” – Dalai Lama
- “Self care is a deliberate choice to gift yourself with people, places, things, events, and opportunities that recharge our personal battery and promote whole health–body, mind, and spirit.” – Laurie Buchanan
- “With every act of self-care, your authentic self gets stronger, and the critical, fearful mind gets weaker. Every act of self-care is a powerful declaration: I am on my side; I am on my side; each day I am more and more on my own side.” – Susan Weiss Berry
- “The most powerful relationship you will ever have is the relationship with yourself.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under the trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.” – John Lubbock
- “Every time you make a commitment to your own self-care, self-love and self-respect and then follow through, you build trust in yourself.” – Miranda J Barrett
- “If you have the ability to love, love yourself first.” – Charles Bukwoski
- “Decide today that you are going to manage your schedule instead of allowing it to manage you.” – Joyce Meyer
- “The time to relax is when you don't have time for it.” – Sydney J. Harris
- “Caring for your body, mind, and spirit is your greatest and grandest responsibility. It’s about listening to the needs of your soul and then honoring them.” – Kristi Ling
- “Be loud about the things that are important to you.” – Karen Walrond
- “You have been criticizing yourself for years, and it hasn't worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” – Louise L. Hay
- “It’s not selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself, and to make your happiness a priority. It’s necessary.” – Mandy Hale
- “If you ask what is the single most important key to longevity, I would have to say it is avoiding worry, stress and tension. And if you didn't ask me, I'd still have to say it.” – George Burns
- “Self-care has become a new priority – the revelation that it’s perfectly permissible to listen to your body and do what it needs.” – Frances Ryan
- “There are thousands of causes for stress, and one antidote to stress is self-expression. That's what happens to me every day. My thoughts get off my chest, down my sleeves and onto my pad.” – Garson Kanin
- “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” – Brené Brown
- “Don't take your health for granted. Don't take your body for granted. Do something today that communicates to your body that you desire to care for it. Tomorrow is not promised.” – Jada Pinkett Smith
- “As important as it is to have a plan for doing work, it is perhaps more important to have a plan for rest, relaxation, self-care, and sleep.” – Akiroq Brost
- “Mindset, habits, and routines are the building blocks for success toward your wellness goals” – Robyn Conley Downs
- “Self-love is an ocean and your heart is a vessel. Make it full, and any excess will spill over into the lives of the people you hold dear. But you must come first.” – Beau Taplin
- “It is so important to take time for yourself and find clarity. The most important relationship is the one you have with yourself.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
- “Do something every day that is loving toward your body and gives you the opportunity to enjoy the sensations of your body.” – Golda Poretsky
- “We need to replace your vicious stress cycle with a vicious cycle of self-care.” – Dr. Sara Gottfried
- “An empty lantern provides no light. Self-care is the fuel that allows your light to shine brightly.” – Unknown
- “Self-care is taking all the pressures you are facing right now, and deciding to which you will respond, and how.” – Imani Shola
- “Self-care is how you take your power back.” – Lalah Delia
- “Be kind to your body, gentle with your mind and patient with your heart. Stay true to your spirit, cherish your soul and never doubt yourself. You are still becoming, my love, and there is no one more deserving of the nurturing grace of your love.” – Becca Lee
- “There is enough time for self-care. There is not enough time to make up for the life you’ll miss by not filling yourself up.” – Jennifer Williamson
Final Thoughts About Self-Care
It’s all too easy to neglect your own needs. The daily grind of life takes over, leaving little room for self-care.
But by taking a step back and prioritizing yourself, you can start to regain the much-needed balance and well-being that’s been missing from your life.
Be kind to yourself. And try out these 35 Self-Care Day Ideas to Focus on Yourself to help start your journey.
And if you want more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 73 Trauma Quotes to Recover from a Challenging Past
- 35 Viktor Frankl Quotes on Challenges, Suffering & Finding Purpose
- 61 Life Goes On Quotes to Move Past Hurt
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.