There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Being physically ill or dealing with mental issues can be tough for anyone. When my old friend was sick, I would tell silly jokes and send her stupid memes. I would do whatever I could to take her mind off of the situation. She needed to know that a good laugh could go a long way, whether you are healthy or sick.
It is important to try and understand a sick person's emotional state. Sometimes ill people don't have an appetite to eat their favorite foods, they can't sleep soundly at night or they aren't as cheerful. These are common feelings the sick experience, so it is perfectly acceptable to provide words of encouragement and sympathy during those times.
What You Will Learn
What are Words of Encouragement?
Words of encouragement are sweet and kind phrases that uplift and inspire a person to continue their efforts in trying to get better. You can leave them as a note on the nightstand, send a text message with encouraging words of wisdom or simply speak them to the person you care about. The phrase doesn't have to be lengthy; sometimes a short “I love you” or “I’m here” is exactly what the person needs to hear.
Such encouragement can serve as a reminder that you care about them and their well-being, which is not a bad thing at all! Words of encouragement have been known to help improve a sick person's mood, as well as physical condition.
However, when in doubt of the right thing to say, it may be a good idea to keep silent and just listen with an open mind and heart. At times like these, it is perfectly okay if you don't have any words of encouragement or sympathy to offer because actions speak louder than words in those cases.
If you are looking for something to say, and need a little help, check out this list.
115 Words of Encouragement for Sick Person
1. I'm thinking of you.
2. I hope you feel better soon!
3. Get well soon!
4. You can do it!
5. You have my heart.
6. May your recovery be swift and painless.
7. I love you and we're here for you.
8. We can do this together!
9. I will do anything to help.
10. You mean so much to me.
11. It is okay to relax. Don't worry about anyone or anything else.
12. You're doing fantastic.
13. Remember that it's okay if you aren't at one-hundred percent.
14. I hope you know how much we care about you and everything will be alright.
15. You can always talk to me if something is bothering you or stressing you out too much.
16. This might sound cheesy, but I believe in you and your strength.
17. You've been through worse; this isn't going to be a permanent condition.
18. I refuse to let you quit.
19. You don't have to suffer in silence.
20. Take care of yourself first!
21. Continue to give thanks and cherish each day you have.
22. If you can't sleep, I will stay up with you all night long so we can chat about anything and everything under the sun – its okay if we don't fall asleep until sunrise comes up.
23. You're going to beat this thing, just give it time. A successful recovery is inevitable because I'm rooting for you from here on out.
24. Our friendship isn't one-sided and I want to make sure we keep open communication at all times.
25. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this, I wish there was something I could do to make your life better – but until then I can at least be by your side in any way possible.
26. Everyone gets sick sometimes and it's nothing to feel ashamed about or embarrassed about – don't let this get you down or defeat you.
27. You'll always have me here for anything and everything you need help with.
28. The sun will shine again tomorrow. Our days are constantly changing. Please try not to take life too seriously at all times.
29. I hope things get better soon.
30. Life is full of these kinds of challenges, so don't worry, because you can overcome anything if you set your mind to it!
31. You are an inspiration to me. Please keep fighting for your health so you can live your best life.
32. Don't let this one setback stop you from achieving your dreams – if I can do it then so can you.
Don't let this one setback stop you from achieving your dreams – if I can do it then so can you.”
33. I love you very much and I'm here for whatever you need, whether it's physical or emotional support.
34. When the going gets tough, help is on its way!
35. You are amazing – take care of yourself, please.
36. Its okay to be angry and it's okay to be frustrated.
37. Be well, and listen to your doctor/specialist. He/she is here to help.
38. Sometimes we need a little alone time to recharge our batteries.
39. I understand that you want time for yourself now, so go ahead and do whatever you need to do to feel better.
40. Life will get better eventually, but until then keep fighting because self-care is important.
41. Self-care isn't selfish, because you are worth taking care of yourself.
42. You are loved unconditionally and nothing can ever change that.
43. Just let this all out, it's okay to cry if necessary.
44. Life is too short to be upset or feel sad about anything at all times, so don't dwell on the past.
45. it’s not easy but life can get better eventually, just give things time to improve!
46. I care about you so much. I wish there was something more I could do besides being by your side in any capacity possible.
47. Don't forget to eat and sleep well. You need your strength.
48. I love you very much – remember that you are strong enough to overcome this obstacle in life because I believe in your ability to be successful.
49. Never give up hope, even during the toughest of times there's always a chance things will get better eventually.
50. You've got this no matter how difficult this challenge might seem right now!
51. Just have faith.
52. You are a fighter and my inspiration even during the darkest of times.
53. I'm behind you 100% and know that we can overcome anything if we believe in ourselves.
54. You'll always be my friend no matter what life throws at us, because people like me don't just give up on their friends without a fight.
55. Don't worry about what others think right now; focus on taking care of yourself, please.
56. You might not see it yet but everything will turn out okay eventually.
57. Try your best to smile and keep going.
58. I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now, but know that I'm here for anything and everything.
59. Take it one day at a time.
60. I will be here for your bad days.
61. The first step to healing is laughter. Even during the toughest of times, please try your best to smile or laugh.
62. Don't worry about anything right now because I'm here for whatever you need.
63. Hopefully, the future looks brighter soon.
64. God does not give us more than we can handle.
65. Focus on something that makes you happy, even if it's small.
66. You are strong enough to get through this tough time in life. Don't give up hope, okay?
You are strong enough to get through this tough time in life. Don't give up hope, okay?”
67. Trying hard is the first step towards success, so never stop fighting against all odds!
68. I know things will get better eventually, but until then try to be positive.
69. Remember that love can heal almost any wound inflicted by life's challenges — never forget that!
70. Yes, things might not be great right now, but give it time.
71. When it is dark, I can help be your light.
72. I believe and trust in your ability to fight this illness and disease until the very end.
73. You are loved.
74. The only thing that matters is staying positive and alive.
75. If you ever need anything, don't forget that I am here for anything and everything.
76. There is always something to look forward to in life, so hang in there!
77. Try your best to get through it one day at a time.
78. I'm not giving up on you – so you can't give up either.
79. It's OK to be scared. You are human.
80. Don't worry about being perfect. It's ok to have a bad day.
81. Things seem bad right now – but it could be worse.
82. This is a trying time in life for both of us. I know it's exhausting and painful to deal with this type of struggle in life.
83. I wish I could take all your pain away somehow, but until then please try your best to feel better soon.
84. Please remember that you are loved very much during these dark times in your life.
85. Even though my words might not be enough, please know that I am here.
86. Everyone is fighting their own battle in life, most of the time without any support. You are not alone.
87. Call me anytime to talk.
88. I can't imagine how it must feel to be in your situation right now, but please remember that you are loved.
89. Things will get better eventually, so stay strong.
90. For whatever it's worth, I'll always have your back.
91. Please try to find something that makes you happy even during this difficult time in life.
92. You are strong enough to get through this rough time, just take it one day at a time.
93. You have gone through so much pain and almost lost hope at times too. But you are still here and I am proud of you.
94. You are so strong.
95. I know life can be hard, especially right now, but keep going.
96. When I think about how strong you are during your fight in life, my heart fills with warmth and gratitude for everything you do.
97. Trying hard is the first step to success. Never stop fighting because I believe in you!
98. Your will to live is stronger than anything else right now, so don't ever lose it.
99. Please remember that you are loved during this difficult time in your life.
100. Its okay to cry and it's okay to laugh.
101. You helped me when I needed someone most, so it's my turn to help you.
102. So many people are praying for you now.
103. I believe in your ability to survive despite everything life has thrown at you up until now.
I believe in your ability to survive despite everything life has thrown at you up until now.”
104. You are an inspiration to many.
105. God loves you.
106. You are a fighter, and you will make it through this rough time in life.
107. You are so brave.
108. I believe that all things happen for a reason.
109. Even though we might not know it right now, these challenges in life help us become stronger and wiser.
110. Don't be afraid to open up about your struggles.
111. Remember the power of prayer
112. Sick or healthy – you always light up the room!
113. Don't be afraid to share your thoughts. I won't judge.
114. God has your back.
115. You shine like a heavenly light. Sickness does not get you down!
Final Thoughts on Words of Encouragement for Comforting a Sick Person
Words of encouragement for a sick person can help immensely in their physical and mental recovery. Just hearing someone say that they care about you, believe in your ability to heal, or that life will get better is often enough to improve someone's mood during their illness.
If you are sick, self-care when recovering from an illness is also extremely important. If you take care of yourself (sleep well, eat healthily, etc.), it will help make the process easier for both you and your loved ones. It might also be beneficial to talk to family members who know how much pain you are in. Ask them if they can help you, but remember that sometimes all the support in the world won't make all of your pain go away.
Lastly, remember that there is hope on the other side of your illness. You may take comfort in knowing that there are thousands of people praying for you, because most people agree that prayer does make a difference. If you want more insight on how to help an ill friend or family member that is recovering from surgery, check out 51 Words of Encouragement to Say after Surgery.