There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
You did a great job!’ is something we all strive to hear. That reach up and high-five. That pat on the back. And that recognition for all the hard work you’ve put in.
(Or, for the more introverted among us, a post-it note or a quick message of appreciation will do the job!)
Only, it doesn’t always come. The sad truth is, many of us never really feel recognized for our efforts. And whilst we might brush it off and say it doesn’t matter, it actually does.
These unappreciated quotes will help you to see that you’re worth so much more. And that those who consistently devalue you or your efforts, don’t deserve a place in your life.
There are plenty of opportunities, every single day, to be thankful for someone else’s efforts.
People like the driver who stopped to let you run across the parking lot to escape the torrential rain. Or the woman who poured your cup of joe from the fresh pot at the coffeehouse, even though there was some leftover in the old one.
While these small gestures don’t really warrant a big old bear hug or a bunch of thank-you flowers, you still appreciate the time they took to make your life a little better. And a quick nod or a ‘Much appreciated’ is enough to show that.
It’s that simple, which makes you wonder why more people can’t give a little gratitude. And why your efforts remain unrecognized, no matter how hard you try.
The lack of appreciation shown, be it at work, in your relationship, or generally as you go about your daily life, can be soul-destroying. You know firsthand how easy it is to big someone up. And yet constantly feel knocked down.
Your efforts go unnoticed. And whether it was done intentionally or otherwise, you’re left wondering why you bother.
But the moment you stop searching for validation from others is the moment you’ll find it in yourself. You know how much strength, determination, and courage your journey has taken. So don’t be afraid to give yourself credit.
And if possible, step away from those who can’t appreciate how wonderful you really are. You don’t need someone else to recognize your efforts. And these unappreciated quotes will help you to see this.
So let’s begin.
- “When you let people bring you down, you've successfully made yourself a step upon which they'll climb and stand above you.” – Terry Mark
- “There comes a time when you have to stop crossing oceans for people who wouldn’t jump puddles for you.” – Unknown
- “To have many wonderful relationships in your life – both romantically and friendly ones – never take people for granted. Let them know how you love and appreciate them. And do that often.” – Unknown
- “When we feel unappreciated, when we feel that no one is taking care of and trying to please us, we run out of anything to give. We need to learn to increase the people in our lives who do appreciate us.” – Hackney Evans
- “Breakups hurt but losing someone who doesn’t respect and appreciate you is actually a gain, not a loss.” – Unknown
- “Even a speck of love should not go unappreciated, because, as Rumi said, love is the water of life.” – Elif Safak
- “The greatest humiliation in life is to work hard on something from which you expect great appreciation, and then fail to get it.” – E. W. Howe
- “When you’re always there for people, they stop appreciating you because your favors are now an exception.” – Unknown
- “We can't be afraid to get rid of people who aren't grateful.” – Dominic Riccitello
- “Ungrateful people forget what they are not grateful for.” – Ana Monnar
- “It’s better to be alone than to be with someone who never sees your worth.” – Nishan Panwar
- “If they don't appreciate your presence, perhaps you should try giving them your absence.” – Tinku Razoria
- “Learn to give your absence to those who don’t appreciate your presence.” – Unknown
- “I give to you because I want to and not expecting anything back, when you start demanding it and expect it like it's owed to you, that's when I turn my back.” – Tanya Kanakaole
- “They don't deserve you if they don't appreciate you.” – Mary J
- “Unhappiness is a contagious disease caused by a chronic deficiency of gratitude.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
- “The more you give, the more they try and take.” – Unknown
- “Stupid people will always hate and not appreciate real people.” – Isaiah Harden
- “Staying in a situation where you are unappreciated isn’t loyalty; it’s called breaking your heart.” – Unknown
- “A lack of appreciation and respect can be a sad end to many wonderful relationships.” – Bernajoy Vaal
- “The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated.” – William James
- “Never stop doing your best just because someone doesn’t give you credit.” – Unknown
- “Everyone has to feel appreciated, even if they are paid differently.” – Roger Staubach
- “You might feel worthless to one person, but you are priceless to another. Don’t ever forget your worth. Spend time with those who value you.” – Unknown
- “Hanging with people who make you feel unappreciated, for the mere sake of appearing to be popular, is the loneliest place to be.” – Ellen J. Barrier
- “Not everyone will appreciate what you do for them. You have to figure out who’s worth your kindness and who’s just taking advantage.” – Unknown
- “You can be the nicest person, try your best to please everyone, but at the end of the day all your efforts still go unappreciated!” – Rashida Rowe
- “Sometimes, being unappreciated means that people are unable to understand your real worth.“ – Unknown
- “Change your company of friends when you feel unappreciated and unloved.” – Unknown
- “Don't be afraid to get rid of people who never praise but only criticize.” – Unknown
- “I've kept to myself, I've put my head down. I've gone to work. And I have felt undervalued.” – Carli Lloyd
- “Everyone has his limits on bearing the pain of being unappreciated.” – Unknown
- “It feels better when alone than with somebody who doesn't appreciate you.” – Nishan Panwar
- “Being alone is better than being with someone who doesn't make you feel appreciated.“ – Unknow
- “The wrong person will make you feel unwanted, unappreciated, unloved and they will make you feel like an option. The right person will have you feeling wanted, appreciated, loved and they will have you feeling like a priority.” – John Adams
- “It's a sad feeling when all your hard work doesn't get appreciated. But never stop putting on the effort.” – Unknown
- “I might be difficult today. Not because I choose to. But my goodness was taken for granted.” – Alfusainey Jallow
- “Standing up for yourself when you're being unappreciated is not an attitude problem.” – Unknown
- “The most lonely thing you can do is hang out with individuals that make you feel unappreciated to look popular.” – Ellen J. Barrier
- “Feeling excluded, unappreciative, and unloved are synonymous with being unimportant. So better move on.“ – Unknown
Feeling excluded, unappreciative, and unloved are synonymous with being unimportant. So better move on.“ – Unknown
- “Never feel empty when the person you like turns you down, because not all people are smart enough to appreciate you.” – Kemmy Nola
- “Look on the bigger picture and move on if you're being unappreciated and unloved in a relationship.” – Unknown
- “Be thankful for the people who care about you rather than stressing about the people who don't value you at all.” – Unknown
- “Some won’t appreciate you no matter how much you do for them. Release yourself. Go where you’re appreciated and understood.” – Robert Tew
- “It took many years of vomiting up all the filth I’d been taught about myself, and half-believed before I was able to walk on the earth as though I had a right to be here.” – James Baldwin
- “Learn how to give your absence to those who don’t appreciate your presence, in the end you will make them realize how important your present is.” – Kemmy Nola
- “Life is too short to waste your time on people who don’t respect, appreciate, and value you.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “Don't give up doing your hardest simply because people don't think highly of you.” – Unknown
- “I’m not going to hold onto someone, who wants to be held by someone else.” – Lucas Hunter
- “If you treat me like no one today, tomorrow you will be no one to me.” – Cv Pillay
- “In some ways, it’s better to be undervalued a little than overvalued a lot, just because it’s still easy to believe our best days are ahead of us.” – Glenn Kelman
- “You don't need to be with people who fail to make you feel important among them.” – Unknown
- “It was one of those evenings when I had to get out. I'm sick of going unnoticed.” – Unknown
- “People don't notice the things we do for them until we stop doing them.” – Mike Skinner
- “She felt excluded, unappreciated and unloved. Never had been loved.” – Suzie Wilde
- “Some people will never appreciate what you do. No matter what you do. That is a problem that lies with them, not you. But if you don’t keep your distance from them then it can drag you down too.” – Unknown
- “You shouldn't surround yourself with unappreciative energy.” – Unknown
- “Instead of appreciating the thousands of work you've done, ungrateful people moan at the one thing you haven't done for them.” – Unknown
- “Sometimes you’ll give your all to someone, and they won’t appreciate you. That’s life. Just don’t become bitter because of it.” – Sonya Parker
- “Don’t live down to expectations. Go out there and do something remarkable.” – Wendy Wasserstein
- “Lonely isn’t a feeling when you’re alone, lonely is a feeling when no one cares.” – James Merrow
- “Stop trying to satisfy someone if they don't seem to appreciate it. People don't deserve you if they don't respect you.” – Unknown
- “Don’t give everything to a person that isn’t giving you anything.” – Sonya Parker
- “For most people, growing up feeling unloved, unwanted, unaccepted and unappreciated is at the root of a poor self-image.” – Fred Phillips
- “If you feel unwanted or unappreciated where you are or by those you’re with, it only means you’re in the wrong place or with the wrong people. Hang in there. Someone else will see you for the true gift you are.” – LK Hunsaker
- “Nurture and nourish you feelings, rather than making the food an unappreciated stand-in.” – Amanda Owen
- “We’re all vulnerable to social approval. The need to belong, to be approved or appreciated by our peers is among the highest human motivations. But now our social approval is in the hands of tech companies.” – Tristan Harris
It can be a real kick in the teeth when you put so much effort in and get so little back. Whether it’s a work project, a nice home-cooked meal, or the time taken to help a relative out with their shopping, it really sucks to feel unappreciated.
But recognition doesn’t need to come from others. You can, and should, tell yourself that you did a great job. Because ultimately, your opinion matters the most.
Learn to be your biggest supporter. And if in any doubt, check out these 15 Habits to Increase Your Self-Confidence
And if you want more eye-opening quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.