There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
There’s no such thing as a perfect relationship. Let’s be honest; we’ve all got huffy over nothing, thrown a disgusted look of ‘how could you!’ and even retreated to the sofa for a night or two of self-pity.
Although the fallout may be hard at the time, the good news is these are perfectly normal relationship hiccups. We tend to get over them pretty quickly and even wonder why we made such a fuss in the first place.
But for some people, the bickering never really ends. The wrongdoings are always on their part. And forgiveness is rarely given.
This kind of dysfunctional relationship can be hard to see from the inside. But these emotional abuse quotes can help you to recognize the signs of an abusive partner, see through the mind games they’re playing and take back control of your life.
What You Will Learn
He didn’t empty the trash, again. She didn’t get home until late. They didn’t remember the plans you made weeks ago with your family.
It’s infuriating. But with a little bit of give and take, you get past the niggles and even learn to ignore most of them.
But not all relationships have a middle ground. Some, whilst seemingly perfect in the beginning, become very one-sided. And with each fallout, the balance shifts further towards the controlling party.
Only, it doesn’t feel like control. It doesn’t feel like abuse. There are no bruises, no black eyes. And no scars to show.
There are candle-lit dinners, surprise trips away and messages throughout the day to tell you how amazing you are. And how much they love you.
But it’s not love. For every time they bring you up, the fall will be harder. For every time they make you feel special, the insults will be worse.
‘It’s your fault. You’re stupid. You’re careless. You just don’t think. You’re inconsiderate. A mess…’ And now, you’re right where they want you to be.
An abuser will always throw the blame on their partner. And cloud their judgement by manipulating their thoughts.
But you are not here to walk in their shadows, to live out their dreams within your own nightmares. It’s not your job to condone their controlling behaviour, to rationalize their drama or hold the severed pieces of your relationship together.
Cut the strings that are holding you down; you are not their puppet to toy with. You are not a scapegoat or a doormat for them to walk all over. And you are not responsible for the monster in your dysfunctional relationship.
These 45 emotional abuse quotes will help you find the strength to step back from the torment. And finally, live the life that you deserve.
So let’s get started.
45 Emotional Abuse Quotes to Deal with Dysfunctional Relationships
- “Overcoming abuse doesn’t just happen, It takes positive steps every day. Let today be the day you start to move forward.” – Assunta Harris
- “To deny someone’s feelings or experiences it to literally deny their reality.” – Danu Morrigan
- “There’s nothing worse than being used, except for denying it and allowing it to continue.” – Unknown
- “Never forget that walking away from something unhealthy is brave even if you stumble a little on your way out the door.” – Mandy Hale
- “A person should never invest in a relationship they wouldn’t want for their children.” – Unknown
- “Abusers manipulate victims into abandoning their own reality, forcing them to accept the abuser’s version.” – Amy Marlow-MaCoy
- “It is not the bruises on the body that hurt. It is the wounds of the heart and the scars on the mind.” – Aisha Mirza
- “Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself by putting them back together.” – Inglath Cooper
- “Revenge is surviving, getting out, and being a better person than you were, and breaking the cycle.” – Kristy Green
- “The moment that you start to wonder if you deserve better, you do.” – Unknown
- “Like a constant ringing in the ears or background noise, the frequency of emotional abuse has caused us to try to ignore it since we can’t ever seem to get away from it. And if we can ignore it, we can deny not only its existence but also its effects” – Gregory L. Jantz
- “When it comes to abuse, you believe there’s no way out. There is always help. There is always a way out.” – Donna Mulvey
- “[Emotional abuse is] the demolition of someone’s identity. And it’s abuse of their psychological and emotional self.” – Dr. Liz Hale
- “Being single and happy is better than being sad and afraid in an abusive relationship.” – Unknown
- “Just because someone desires you, does not mean that they value you.” – Unknown
- “Abuse grows from attitudes and values, not feelings. The roots are ownership, the trunk is entitlement, and the branches are control.” – Lundy Bancroft
- “Bruises heal, but you don’t forget words and emotions, how an abuser makes you feel about yourself.” – Unknown
- “Staying in an unhealthy relationship that robs you of peace of mind, is not being loyal. It is choosing to hurt yourself mentally, emotionally and sometimes, physically.” – Kemi Sogunie
- “Some scars don’t hurt. Some scars are numb. Some scars rid you of the capacity to feel anything ever again.” – Joyce Rachelle
- “I’m still coping with my trauma, but coping by trying to find different ways to heal it rather than hide it.” – Clemantine Wamariya
- “Abuse changes your life. Fight Back and change the life of your abusers by Breaking Your Silence on Abuse!” – Patty Rose Hopson
- “It’s like one day you flipped a switch and became someone I never knew.” – Unknown
- “Emotional abuse poisons a relationship and infuses it with hostility, contempt, and hatred,” – Beverly Engel
- “The results of any traumatic experience, such as abuse, can only be resolved by experiencing, articulating, and judging every facet of the original experience within a process of careful therapeutic disclosure.” – Alice Miller
- “You can’t change someone who doesn’t see an issue in their actions.” – Unknown
- “Psychological invalidation is one of the most lethal forms of emotional abuse. It kills confidence, creativity, and individuality.” – Dr. Anne Brown
Psychological invalidation is one of the most lethal forms of emotional abuse. It kills confidence, creativity, and individuality.” – Dr. Anne Brown
- “When someone isn't treating you right, no matter how much you love them, you've got to love yourself more and walk away.” – Unknown
- “You survived the abuse. You`re going to survive the recovery.” – Unknown
- “No one deserves to be treated like trash, especially not by the person you love.” – Unknown
- “Never make yourself feel like nothing to make someone else feel like everything.” – Unknown
- “Sometimes we refuse to see how bad something is until it completely destroys us.” – Unknown
- “I trusted you but now your words mean nothing to me, because your actions spoke the truth.” – Unknown
- “The scars you can`t see are the hardest to heal.” – Astrid Alauda
- “Poisonous relationships can alter our perception. You can spend many years thinking you’re worthless… but you’re not worthless; you’re unappreciated.” – Steve Maraboli
- “You’re in a relationship to be happy, to smile, to laugh, and to make good memories. Not to be constantly upset, to feel hurt, and to cry.” – Unknown
- “No matter how much a couple once loved each other, once emotional abuse becomes a consistent aspect of the relationship, that love is overshadowed by fear, anger, guilt, and shame.” – Beverly Engel
- “Don’t put up with disrespect just to keep them in your life.” – Unknown
- “Abusers who engage in gaslighting tactics often project onto you things that they have done, such as telling you that you’re confused, crazy, or intoxicated if you say what you know to be true or question their version of the facts.” – Theresa Comito
- “A healthy relationship doesn’t drag you down. It inspires you to be better.” – Unknown
- “There is no safe way to remain in a relationship with a person who has no conscience. The only solution is to escape.” – Unknown
- “Part of the healing process is sharing with other people who care.” – Jerry Cantrell
- “Stop telling yourself you can fix him. He’s been this way for a long, long time and he doesn't intend to change. Save yourself instead, get out while there’s still time.” – John Mark Green
- “Get pissed because you deserve more than this abuse. Emotional abuse is the gateway to all abuse. Get out!” – Tracy Malone
- “Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it’s the place where we find the deepest heartache.” – Iyanla Vanzant
- “Never accept anything less than you deserve. Remember, you teach people how to treat you.” – Unknown
Emotional abuse can be hard to see. It doesn’t have the same telltale signs as physical abuse. And the victim is often made to feel at fault for the problems in their relationship.
It takes a huge amount of courage and strength to stand up against an abusive partner. To say ‘No more. I’m done’ and to walk away.
But if you’re in this situation, know that you’re not alone. Reach out to friends and family, to complete strangers through social media or helplines. And allow them to support you as you make the move to a better life.
Check out these self-care day ideas to focus on yourself. You’ve got this.
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.