There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Do you ever feel like you’re running out of hope? Like everything is going against you, but you still have to keep it together?
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.”
This quote by Cayla Mills has always been a classic favorite because it summarizes the situation perfectly. It touches the soul, deep within, because you feel the truth in it—that you’ll only know your limits once you reach the breaking point.
In this article, we share with you our list of “stay strong” quotes that can help you stay positive in times of crisis. These quotes are from people who experienced difficulties in their lives.
But before we get to these quotes, let us first share with you some of the benefits of reading quotes that can help you stay strong.
What Are the Benefits of Reading Stay Strong Quotes?
People tend to look for allies whenever the situation becomes unbearable. They look for someone to rely on when plans fail or things don’t go the way they should. That’s human nature—you seek comfort because you need someone to understand what you’re going through.
Sometimes it isn’t someone that we need, but instead “some thing” that can help keep our spirits high. We need words of encouragement to help us get through the day.
Whenever you feel down or are about to give up, “stay strong” quotes are a great way to dig deep and find your inner strength. These quotes help you push yourself to the limits and overcome your doubts and fears.
Reading these quotes about staying strong despite all the problems and challenges you are facing is a sign that you are ready to embrace positivity. More importantly, it is a sign that whatever the outcome, you know you’ll be just fine, and that there are a lot of ways to be happier and better.
101 Stay Strong Quotes to Be Positive During a Crisis
- “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.” – Dale Carnegie
- “Stay strong. Stay true to yourself and to who you are because there is a community out there. It may not be in your town or perhaps even in your family, but you are wanted and you are loved and there are places in the world where you will be safe and supported.” – Emma Walton Hamilton
- “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” – Robert H. Schuller
- “Flexibility makes buildings to be stronger, imagine what it can do to your soul.” – Carlos Barrios
- “Even when matches don't work out the way you planned, you've always got to stay strong in defense; it's a matter of willpower and intelligence.” – Becky Sauerbrunn
- “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
- “Work hard for what you want because it won’t come to you without a fight. You have to be strong and courageous and know that you can do anything you put your mind to. If somebody puts you down or criticizes you, just keep on believing in yourself and turn it into something positive.” – Leah LaBelle
- “Courage isn’t having the strength to go on – it is going on when you don’t have strength.” – Napoléon Bonaparte
- “Life is, at times, tough. And all we need to do is to prove that we are tougher than it.” – Sanhita Baruah
- “Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.” – Unknown
- “The greatest test of courage on the earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.” – R. G. Ingersoll
- “He who conquers others is strong; He who conquers himself is mighty.” – Lao Tzu
- “In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
- “I think people are always going to say things about you or disapprove of your relationships or your ideals or your beliefs or something, but I think you have to stand up and stay strong in who you are and not let it affect you.” – Kirstin Maldonado
- “Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being.” – Albert Schweitzer
- “Talents are best nurtured in solitude, but the character is best formed in the stormy billows of the world.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.” – Bernice Johnson Reagon
- “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.” – Henry Ford
- “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” – Margaret Thatcher
- “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.” – Ann Landers
- “When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
- “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” – Cayla Mills
- “Make up your mind that no matter what comes your way, no matter how difficult, no matter how unfair, you will do more than simply survive. You will thrive in spite of it.” – Joel Osteen
- “If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.” – Flavia Weedn
“If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.” – Flavia Weedn
- “When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven’t.” – Thomas Edison
- “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” – Henry Ford
- “When you're not sure if you're following the right path, when you've been knocked down a few too many times, it's completely fine to get discouraged, hell even defeated. What's not okay is to stop.” – Gary John Bishop
- “At any given moment you have the power to say: This is not how the story is going to end.” – Christine Mason Miller
- “Spend eighty percent of your time focusing on the opportunities of tomorrow rather than the problems of yesterday.” – Brian Tracy
- “The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.” – Chinese Proverb
- “The most beautiful people I’ve known are those who have known trials, have known struggles, have known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.” – Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
- “Small minds can’t comprehend big spirits. To be great, you have to be willing to be mocked, hated, and misunderstood. Stay strong.” – Unknown
- “Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can’t ride you unless your back is bent.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller
- “You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.” – James A. Froude
- “Being strong doesn't mean that you can handle every difficult situation on your own, it means that you have the sense to ask God and others for help.” – Nishan Panwar
- “Your strength doesn't come from winning. It comes from struggles and hardships. Everything that you go through prepares you for the next level.” ― Germany Kent
- “You, my dear, have gone through things no one has a clue about and you survived. Even though you don't talk about it anymore, Be proud of yourself for not giving up. Be Proud!” ― Mridula Singh
- “It's impossible for a mind born of biology to stay strong always. You'd have to be a machine to not feel bad or sad or even devastated when people are rude to you or criticize you. It's okay to feel bad or sad, but as long as we are moving forward, for every ten criticisms, you'll receive at least one world of appreciation or thanks.” ― Abhijit Naskar
- “We do not have to remain stuck in our trials! We go through them and as daughters of the King, we can rise in the midst of a dark, shaking moment.” – Holly Wagner
- “When adversity strikes, that’s when you have to be the most calm. Take a step back, stay strong, stay grounded, and press on.” – LL Cool J
- “If someone is strong enough to bring you down, show them you are strong enough to get back up.” – A. Josland
- “Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.” – Bruce Lee
- “I’m stronger because of the hard times, wiser because of my mistakes, and happier because I have known sadness.” – Allison Vogel
- “Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.” – Confucius
- “One small crack does not mean you are broken. It means you were put to the test and you didn’t fall apart.” – Linda Poindexter
- “Be strong, things will get better. It might be stormy now, but rain doesn’t last forever.” – Unknown
- “Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb but how well you bounce.” – Vivian Komori
- “People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can’t find them, make them.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.” – Unknown
- “Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn so that we see ourselves as we really are.” – Arthur Golden
- “It ain’t as bad as you think. It will look better in the morning.” – Colin Powell
- “Don't give up. There are too many nay-sayers out there who will try to discourage you. Don't listen to them. The only one who can make you give up is yourself.” – Sidney Sheldon
- “Inside of a ring or out, ain’t nothing wrong with going down. It’s staying down that’s wrong.” – Muhammad Ali
“Inside of a ring or out, ain’t nothing wrong with going down. It’s staying down that’s wrong.” – Muhammad Ali
- “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is true strength.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
- “Don’t brood. Get on with living and loving. You don’t have forever.” – Leo Buscaglia
- “Anyone can give up, it’s the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that’s true strength.” – Evangeline Love
- “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “The harder the struggle, the more glorious the triumph. Self-realization demands very great struggle.” – Swami Sivananda
- “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie
- “Strength is the ability to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands – and then eat just one of those pieces.” – Judith Viorst
- “If you believe it will work out, you’ll see opportunities. If you believe it won’t, you will see obstacles.” – Wayne Dyer
- “Feeling fear is human, but conquering it will make you feel empowered, courageous, and proud.” – Alex Niles
- “We can easily manage if we will only take, each day, the burden appointed to it. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday's burden over again today, and then add the burden of the morrow before we are required to bear it.” – John Newton
- “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill
- “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.” – Wayne Dyer
- “Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.” – Dean Karnazes
- “Sometimes you don’t realize your own strength until you come face to face with your greatest weakness.” – Susan Gale
- “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” – Louisa May Alcott
- “The strongest oak in the forest is not the one that is protected from the storm and hidden from the sun. It’s the one that stands in the open where it is compelled to struggle for its existence against the winds and rains and the scorching sun.” – Napoleon Hill
- “Things happen to you to make you realize your true potential, strength, willpower, and heart. You’ve got to have faith.” – Dr. Byron Hayes
- “Build up your weaknesses until they become your strong points.” – Knute Rockne
- “It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them, more strength to relate to people than to dominate them, more ‘manhood' to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex. Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind.” – Alex Karras
- “Worry is a total waste of time. It doesn’t change anything. All it does is steal your joy and keep you very busy doing nothing.” – Lionel Willard
- “I have no regrets in my life. I think that everything happens to you for a reason. The hard times that you go through build character, making you a much stronger person.” – Rita Mero
- “When someone tells you that you can’t do something, perhaps you should consider that they are only telling you what they can’t do.” – Sheldon Cahoon
- “Remember: Every champion was once a contender that refused to give up.” – Rocky Balboa
- “The depth and strength of a human character are defined by its moral reserves. People reveal themselves completely only when they are thrown out of the customary conditions of their life, for only then do they have to fall back on their reserves.” – Leonardo da Vinci
- “When life is sweet, say thank you & celebrate. And when life is bitter, say thank you and grow.” – Shauna Niequist
“When life is sweet, say thank you & celebrate. And when life is bitter, say thank you and grow.” – Shauna Niequist
- “Remember that guy that gave up? Well, neither does anybody else.” – Unknown
- “Someday, everything will make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, be strong and keep reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason.” – John Mayer
- “Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves.” – Dale Carnegie
- “Your life can be what you want it to be… You'll make it through whatever comes along. Within you are so many answers. Understand, have courage, and be strong.” – Douglas Pagels
- “The best lessons are usually learned from failure. You mustn't beat yourself up if you fail – just pick yourself up, learn as much as you can from the experience and get on with the next challenge…The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never live at all.” – Richard Branson
- “A warrior is worthless unless he rises above others and stands strong in the midst of a storm.” – Yamamoto Tsunetomo
- “If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it.” – Michael Jordan
- “Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.” – Samuel Beckett
- “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.” – Winston Churchill
- “Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.” – John F. Kennedy
- “I want you to be forever strong on the field so that you will be forever strong off the field.” – Larry Gelwix
- “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Go ahead and believe that no one shines brighter than you. Become amazing, and be happy.” – Demi Lovato
- “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” – Khalil Gibran
- “There comes the point when you either embrace who and what you are or condemn yourself to be miserable all your days. Other people will try to make you miserable; don't help them by doing the job yourself.” – Laurell K. Hamilton
- “You just can't beat the person who never gives up.” – Babe Ruth
- “Pain can change you, but that doesn’t mean it has to be a bad change. Take that pain and turn it into wisdom.” – The Dalai Lama
- “He who believes is strong; he who doubts is weak. Strong convictions precede great actions.” – Louisa May Alcott
- “A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent in doing nothing.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” – Christopher Reeve
We sometimes think that we have it all under control, but more often than not we are struggling to keep it together. We try to endure the pain because that is the only way to keep moving.
Staying strong despite all the hardships we face is one of the bravest things we can do. It’s easier said than done, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. That said, it is important to have effective weapons when it comes to battling fear and anxiety. We hope that the quotes we shared above can be your weapons.
No matter how many times you fall, you must keep bouncing back—breathe the struggle in, hold still and stay strong, then release it and get back on your feet.
And if you want more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 67 Stress and Tired Quotes When You’re Feeling Exhausted
- 75 Positive Energy Quotes to Attract Good Things in Your Life
- 51 Overwhelmed Quotes for When You Need a Break
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.