There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Words of encouragement can be personal feelings or quotes that motivate, inspire, and spread love. They are meant to give hope and courage to anyone and everyone.
From the anxious and sad, to the lonely and scared… no matter what the situation. These words can resonate with a child going to their first day of school from an elderly person going in for surgery.
Why Give Words of Encouragement?
Everyone needs encouraging words from time to time. Often, we don’t say things, because we may feel that words don't make a difference. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sometimes, words are all people have to hang on to in times of need. They let people know you care and that they are important.
It can also make you feel better, knowing that you opened your heart and helped someone get over a hurdle. Society is all too quick to criticize and tear people down. Imagine if we spent that time and our words, lifting people up in positivity.
Why Are Words of Encouragement Important for Our Military?
Our soldiers and military personnel are among the folks that can always use an encouraging word. They often have feelings of isolation and loneliness.
Feeling that they are an enemy in their own country or that people do not appreciate what sacrifices they make. Giving up time with their families, missing the holidays, the birth of children… not knowing where or when they will be deployed.
All of these factors can be stressful and scary for our military personnel. To know that there are people out there who are grateful and appreciate their sacrifices can make all the difference to a soldier.
Do you have a friend or family member that is in the military? Are you unsure of what to say as they face the unique challenges that being a soldier brings?
If so, we've compiled a thoughtful list that may help you to communicate your feelings and encourage our military personnel. The words don't need to be overly eloquent or rehearsed. They need only be sincere and from the heart.
50 Words of Encouragement for Soldiers and Military Members
1. We all feel safer knowing you are helping to protect us.
2. You are embarking on a great adventure, full of new places and great experiences.
3. You're going to meet so many interesting people.
4. I'm proud to fly my flag in your honor.
5. Remember that you are loved completely and unconditionally.
6. So many people appreciate what you are doing.
7. You got this. You're smart, capable, and strong.
8. You never know how strong you are until strong is the only choice you have.
9. We can sleep safely at night because soldiers like you stand ready to protect us.
10. The sacrifice you are making is the ultimate act of patriotism.
11. We owe all of our military members our support and gratitude.
12. There is nothing more admirable than giving up your freedom to preserve the freedom of others.
13. Home is where the heart is. Our hearts are always with you.
14. Each night that passes brings you one day closer to home.
15. “America without her soldiers would be like God without His angels.” – Claudia Penberton
16. The military is lucky to have someone of your caliber.
17. Whenever you doubt yourself, remember that you are helping others all over the world every day.
18. You have no idea how proud we are of what you are doing.
19. You're a rockstar!
20. Always remember you have a family that loves you and thinks of you constantly.
21. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you think, and loved more than you know.
22. You are the rainbow in someone else's cloud.
23. I can't wait until you get back.
24. As soon as you get back, we'll fire up the grill and have a BBQ.
25. Let me know what you need. I'd be happy to send a care package.
26. Call, text, or message me whenever you can. We would love to hear from you.
27. You and your fellow soldiers are the heart and soul of our country.
28. It's OK to be scared. Courage is being scared, and doing what needs to be done anyway.
29. It takes a special person to be a soldier.
30. “Believe you can, and you're halfway there.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
31. Whenever you feel weak, remember what made you strong. Whenever you doubt yourself, remember that we believe in you.
32. Sometimes, you have to fight through some bad days to get to the best days.
33. A challenge only becomes an obstacle when we bow to it.
A challenge only becomes an obstacle when we bow to it.”
34. Never stop doing your best just because someone doesn't give you credit.
35. Group FaceTime every Saturday! (or whenever they can)
36. When times get rough, you have an entire platoon of “brothers” and “sisters” to lean on.
37. You are a member of the best team in the world.
38. You look great in your uniform.
39. “The man on top of the mountain did not fall there.” – Vince Lombardi
40. Your dedication to our country is inspiring.
41. You're going to learn so many useful skills.
42. As soon as you get back, we are going to your favorite restaurant.
43. We are going to be there for your family.
44. We are going to have your spouse (or partner) and children over for dinner each Sunday.
45. We are so grateful for your service.
46. We are going to send you a ton of pictures, so you won't miss a thing.
47. This is a great choice for your future.
48. You're going to be in the best shape of your life.
49. You may not think it right now, but you'll have a lot of fun times.
50. People all over the world appreciate our military's efforts. You are a part of making our world secure.
Final Thoughts on Words of Encouragement for Soldiers and Military Members
Words of encouragement have the power to lift the spirits and confidence of both the speaker and the listener. Inspirational thoughts shared with another person can make them feel loved and appreciated.
Our brave soldiers are often away from the people and places they hold dear. They cannot take much with them on their travels. Words of encouragement are sometimes all they have to get them through rough days and lonely nights.
The positive words remind them that they have family, friends, and well-wishers cheering them on… waiting for the day they return home. Do you have a friend in need of a little pick-me-up? Try reading our article with 35 words of encouragement that just may do the trick!
For more word of encouragement posts like this, check out the following:
- 115 Words of Encouragement for Comforting a Sick Person
- 85 Powerful Words of Encouragement for Students
- 35 Words of Encouragement for a Friend in Need