There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a complex, rigorous, and expensive procedure. On top of that, the period of going through IVF cycles is often a sensitive and distressing time for women, who’ve already had to deal with the stress of not getting pregnant on their own.
For those reasons alone, offering words of encouragement for someone going through IV can give them hope.
The stakes are much higher, and the need for emotional support is greater if the person you’re hoping to encourage has had one or more failed IVFs.
2018 research data shows 50% of IVF procedures in women ages 35 and under resulted in a live birth. The other 50% represents failed IVFs for the same age group. The figure is daunting, yet there’s a 50 percent chance for success.
Emotions are usually running high at this time as well. Some women going through IVF become jealous of women who get pregnant and give birth the natural way.
Failed IVFs can cause them to get anxious, depressed, hopeless, or worthless. Every failure to conceive via fertility treatment is money down the drain.
Of course, those who have the finance and embryos to try multiple times are at an advantage. But some women aren’t this fortunate. There are those who have one shot or they’ll forever lose the chance to carry a baby or be a biological mom via surrogacy.
With all of this in mind, how do you motivate or console someone who could use some extra emotional support during IVF? I’ve put together a list of 35 words of encouragement quotes to give your partner, family member, friend, or colleague to spark hope.
Some of them are originals I’ve written myself. Choose your favorite and read them in person. Optionally, send them by text, email, or in a customized greeting card.
Why Give Words of Encouragement?
We all could use a word of encouragement from to time no matter how resilient or independent we are.
Those who are familiar with self-improvement may inspire themselves through positive self-talk or words of affirmation. However, kind sentiments coming from someone else make those in need of inspiration feel so much better.
When you offer motivational words to a loved one or stranger, you’re showing empathy and compassion. The receiver gets a sense that someone understands their pain or struggles. This makes them feel seen, validated, and worthy.
Why are Words of Encouragement for Someone Going through IVF Important?
A woman going through in vitro fertilization to have a child of their own faces many uncertainties. There are different stages of the process, each with its own challenges.
Things have to go right at every stage for her to hold that baby in her loving arms at the end of the process. As such, she needs every bit of emotional support they can get.
The uncertainties regarding the outcome often cause anxiety and depression, especially if she experienced a failed fertilization earlier on. Not only that, she may experience a rollercoaster of emotions such as distress, anger, fear, shame, guilt, or irritability. Helplessness from having little control over the outcome is also common.
Some women become so overwhelmed they feel unable to cope and may consider ‘aborting’ the process. Others may still be dealing with grief and loss symptoms from a prior failure to conceive or miscarriage.
The emotions are normal regardless of if they have a partner providing emotional support or are trying to start a family on their own.
Notwithstanding, they should be doing everything possible to nourish their mental health during this period. Mental health care is crucial as it helps lower stress and anxiety and may increase the chance of conception.
Here is where you can play a crucial role. By reaching out with words of emotional support, you’ll help the mom-to-be in these ways:
35 Words of Encouragement for a Woman Going Through IVF
Staying cool, calm, and collected isn’t easy for women doing IVF when so much is at stake. Here’s your chance to play a positive role in a loved one’s fertility journey by sending one or more kind sentiments.
Below is a list of motivational quotes and statements to help her cope with the mixed emotions of trying to conceive.
1. I know it’s tough to have to work so hard to do something that’s so natural and easy for other women. But your journey is unique. As difficult as it may seem, the experience adds to the beauty of your story.
2. I’m sending you a gentle reminder that your conception journey will be a huge success.
3. “Faith is taking the first step, even when you don’t see the whole staircase.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
4. Don’t be discouraged and don’t be ashamed of your story. There are millions of women who share similar experiences. Many are moms today. You will be able to join the IVF moms success club soon!
5. I imagine it’s hard to stay positive after a failed IV or miscarriage. Like you, there was a time I started losing hope. Like me, you can face the odds bravely and succeed at last!
I imagine it’s hard to stay positive after a failed IV or miscarriage. Like you, there was a time I started losing hope. Like me, you can face the odds bravely and succeed at last!”
6. At the end of this wonderful journey, you’ll smile and realize that the pain and loss were necessary for you to finally receive your sweet little miracle.
7. “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” — Nelson Mandela
8. In vitro fertilization is an emotional journey for all women who have gone through it. Thankfully you have your partner and people who care about you to lean on. I’m here for you anytime you need someone to listen.
9. The big miracle you’re hoping for takes time, patience, understanding, and trusting the universe that it will come through.
10. I’m here for you and will support you in any way I can.
11. “Little” dreams become big accomplishments. Your dream child is on its way. All you have to do is hold on to optimism.
12. Love is patient, love is hopeful. Allow that love for your future child to carry you through. As Maya Angelou puts it, “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.”
13. I saw on your face how concerned you were about the possibility of things going wrong. I just wanted to remind you that when the glass appears half empty, it’s really actually half full.
14. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I’m trusting that everything turns out well for you.
15. “You’re a fighter. Think about everything you’ve overcome. Don’t give up now.” – Olivia Benson
You’re a fighter. Think about everything you’ve overcome. Don’t give up now.” – Olivia Benson
16. Its okay to feel scared or doubtful. You’re not going through this alone. You have me to lean on.
17. I’m so happy for you to have the opportunity to start a family. I can’t wait to meet your bundle of joy!
18. “Infertility often comes with grief and loss. You have to let go of the vision of how long the journey will be and learn to flow and become stronger through the process.” — Halle Tecco
19. I’ll be by your side throughout your journey to motherhood. Please let me know what I can do to make this easier for you.
20. “Hope is the only thing stronger than fear.” —The Hunger Games
21. Think of me as someone you can call on at any time you wish to vent or ask for advice. I’ll be your judgment-free zone.
22. Good luck on your IVF journey! I’m praying that it’s a success story you’ll reflect on and smile about.
23. Think of how lucky you are just to have IVF as an alternative way to conceive. It’s an opportunity so many women cannot financially afford. Let that thought be your guiding force any time you get discouraged.
24. The IVF journey is one of trial and error. I encourage you to go into it with an open mind. Regardless of the odds you’re up against, I know you’ll remain positive. I believe the universe will grant you your wish.
25. “Anyone that’s been in the place of wanting another child or wanting a child knows the disappointment, the pain, and the loss that you go through trying and struggling with fertility.”– Nicole Kidman
Anyone that’s been in the place of wanting another child or wanting a child knows the disappointment, the pain, and the loss that you go through trying and struggling with fertility.” – Nicole Kidman
26. This is your unique path to motherhood. It’s not how you get there but that you get there. And you will!
27. As long as you keep trying there’s a chance you’ll succeed in the end. You’ll hold your gentle baby in your arms and realize every second of uncertainty was well worth it.
28. “A strong woman looks a challenge dead in the eye and gives it a wink.” — Gina Carey
29. If at any time you become frustrated with this procedure and wish to give up, know that it’s okay. All is not lost. You may still be able to conceive normally someday. A surrogate carrier can also deliver a healthy baby on your behalf.
30. “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” —Margaret Thatcher
31. “Learn to see the gift in adversity. By doing this you will begin to find true peace in your struggle.” – Stacey Urrutia
32. Choosing to go through this process and risking it all says a lot about who you are. You are strong and courageous and will make a kind and loving mom.
33. “People talk about the miracle of birth. No. There’s the miracle of conception. I did IVF, but nothing happened. So I began to think of adoption, and then I got pregnant. It was definitely a miracle.” — Iman
34. Giving up is not an option, not when there’s a future baby depending on you to hold on to hope.
35. Believe you’re one of those women who have a 50 percent chance of a successful IVF treatment. Hold on to the belief and never lose hope. Your baby will be your proof of hope.
Final Thoughts on Words of Encouragement for Someone Going Through IVF
Quotes and words of inspiration may be just what a woman needs at that moment to get through a challenging IVF experience. It may not seem like much, but the right words at the right time can provide a glimmer of hope when all is lost.
Don’t wait, call your partner, that friend, or loved one and encourage them to stay the course. Send them a text or email, or write them a note.
You can also customize a words of encouragement for someone going through IVF card online. If it’s a friend, there’s more you can say with these 35 Comforting Words of Encouragement for a Friend in Need.