There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
There are moments in life when even the ones we love the most can become toxic. Family, friends, partners—our relationships with them can be damaging if not taken care of.
This can be a painful experience. You probably always thought that they would be the ones to support and lift you up, but sometimes they end up being the ones to drag you down.
No matter how much you love and cherish them, remember that the most important person in this world is YOU. You own your happiness and success, and no one should ever be able to make you feel like less of a person.
In this post, we share with you a list of toxic family quotes that can help you heal and let go of the pain. You may not have cut ties with them yet, and perhaps you won’t end up needing to. Either way, we hope that these quotes can make you feel better.
But before we proceed to our list, let us share with you some important reasons why letting go of toxic people, even if they are family, is a wise decision.
Why Let Go of Toxic People and Relationships?
Toxic relationships can be quite dangerous. They drain all your energy and can cause extreme stress and unhappiness. You start to feel lots of negative emotions, like anger, resentment, and even misery.
This is why you need to let go of such toxicity. Do not waste your time and your life on something that exhausts you. Don’t let anyone manipulate and control you and your decisions. You own yourself, and no one should be able to destroy your self-respect.
Letting go and cutting ties is not an easy thing to do. But sometimes it is the best option. It takes time to heal and move on, but if you don’t eventually let go, you may be trapped forever in a world full of despair.
Let’s check out our toxic family quotes that can help you let go of those feelings of guilt and regret!
- “It always amazes me how swiftly problems can be solved, once you start cutting things off people.” – Joe Abercrombie
- “Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it’s the place we find the deepest heartache.” – Lyanla Vansant
- “Blood doesn’t make you family. Some of the most demonic and demeaning people in your life share your DNA.” – Temi Ade
- “Do not be waylaid by a toxic family Whatsapp group. You fought hard to emerge as your own person in real life. Do not succumb to this new medium that replicates all the sad, toxic hierarchies of broken families. Walk out. Do it now.” – Itayi Garande
- “It’s not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.” – Jonathan Schiller
- “Humans can be so ugly sometimes that the ones you love the most would only love to see you fall. It’s a cruel world.” – Sidney Albury
- “My friend, you are not alone. No matter what you’ve suffered, the abuse was not your fault. You didn’t cause someone to hurt you. Not as an innocent child, teenager, nor as an adult. Let that sink in. It’s not your fault.” – Dana Arcuri
- “If the family you chose before your birth no longer supports your path towards fulfilling your true destiny, it is never too late to find a new tribe.” – Anthon St. Maarten
- “You don’t have to leave your whole family in the past, just those who don’t deserve a place in your future.” – Unknown
- “A child should never feel as if they need to earn a mother’s love.” – Sherrie Campbell
“A child should never feel as if they need to earn a mother’s love.” – Sherrie Campbell
- “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
- “Sometimes you need to give up on people, not because you don’t care, but because they don’t.” – Unknown
- “Let’s get out of the habit of telling people, “that’s still your mom, your dad, or your sister.” Toxic is toxic. You are allowed to walk away from people that constantly hurt you.” – @bynnada
- “Toxic family relationships spoil all other relationships unless you remove the poison before it’s too late.” – Unknown
- “You can miss a person every day and still be glad that they are no longer in your life.” – Tara Westover
- “The path to freedom is illuminated by the bridges you have burned, adorned by the ties you have cut, and cleared by the drama you have left behind. Let go. Be free.” – Steve Maraboli
- “In the process of letting go, you will lose many things from the past but you will find yourself.” – Deepak Chopra
- “Cutting people off doesn’t have limits. Family can get cut off too if they are causing you stress. Eliminate any negativity in your circle.” – thegoodvibe.co
- “You don’t let go of a bad relationship because you stop caring about them. You let go because you start caring about yourself.” – Charles Orlando
- “Love them from a distance. Pray for them, wish them well, but don’t allow them to abuse you.” – Kimber Waul
- “It’s okay to cut ties with toxic friends and family you’ve got to prioritize your own well-being.” – Brenden Dilley
- “Family or not I will cut you off. That saying “but that’s family” means nothing if a family is toxic and means you no good.” – Morgan Sharee
- “Cutting toxic people off doesn’t make you a bad person, selfish, or weak. Cutting toxic people off means you value your integrity over what other people think about you.” – Unknown
- “Fear of breaking family loyalty is one of the greatest stumbling blockages to recovery. Yet, until we admit certain things we would rather excuse or deny, we cannot truly begin to put the past in the past and leave it there once and for all. Unless we do that, we cannot even begin to think of having a future that is fully ours, untethered to the past, and we will be destined to repeat it.” – Ronald Allen Schulz
- “Ending the toxic cycle within your own life isn’t easy. When you don’t come from a healthy family, you do your best to ensure a healthy one comes from you.” – Steve Maraboli
Final Words on Toxic Family Quotes
It can be very difficult to let go of members of your family. Home is where your heart lies, but if that same home is the one causing you so much pain, sometimes you simply have to find another one
Whatever your situation is right now, we hope that the quotes we shared above can help you get through it.
Love yourself a little more, even if it means letting go of some of the people who have played a big role in your life.