There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
We all need a bit of motivation from time to time.
A metaphorical kick up the bum to do the things we’re putting off. A not-so-gentle reminder to get up and get on.
And there’s no better person to give it, than you.
Because you know, hand on heart, where you want to be. What you want to achieve. And what you need to do, to get there.
You just need to push through the slump; to convince yourself that the sofa, no matter how comforting it may be, is not the secret passage to success.
And that, in order to be the person you admire the most (because that’s something we should all be doing), you need to instill some self-discipline.
Have you ever made a New Year’s resolution to get up at 6 a.m. and go for a run every morning? But come the 1st, or 5th, or even the 11th of January, hit that snooze button instead.
What about ditching the sugar in your tea or coffee? You had all the right intentions, but the reality of it was a lot tougher than you thought.
If only there was someone standing by the cupboard, with their arms folded like your Mom, and a less-than-impressed look on their face. Or maybe stood at the front door with your running trainers in hand and a bottle of water to go.
It would certainly help, to have someone there to keep you on track. To nudge you in the right direction and remind you of your goals.
Only, you do have someone. And they’re staring back at you every time you look in the mirror.
With a little self-discipline, you can be your own drillmaster when it’s barely light but you still need to hit the gym. And you can be your own life coach, investing in some much-needed self-care.
You can be your own accountant and stick to your ‘saving for a holiday' budget. And, even be your own cheerleader, your biggest fan, and your most trusted ally.
You just have to put trust in your capabilities.
Remember that self-discipline is a muscle that needs to be exercised regularly, so make it part of your daily routine. And always celebrate the wins, no matter how small.
You’ve got this. And these self-discipline quotes will help you to see that.
So let’s get started.
71 Motivational Self-Discipline Quotes for 2024
- “We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort.” – Jesse Owens
- “Stop wishing. Start doing. And next time you fix your lips to say ‘I wish,’ perhaps consider replacing it with ‘I will.'” – Lita Lewis
- “We do today what they won’t, so tomorrow we can accomplish what they can’t.” – Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson
- “Once you set the goal , it takes fierce discipline to reach it.” – Sam Moore
- “Self-discipline is the magic power that makes you virtually unstoppable.” – Unknown
- “Many men and women in the world demonstrate great willpower and self-discipline in overcoming bad habits and the weaknesses of the flesh.” – Ezra Taft Benson
- “Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments.” – Jim Rohn
- “Self-discipline is a key to many doors. Not least of which is one that leads to a better, stronger, and healthier version of yourself.” – Zero Dean
Self-discipline is a key to many doors. Not least of which is one that leads to a better, stronger, and healthier version of yourself.” – Zero Dean
- “Self-discipline creates a brighter tomorrow.” – Unknown
- “Winners embrace hard work. They love the discipline of it, the trade-off they’re making to win. Losers, on the other hand, see it as a punishment. And that’s the difference.” – Lou Holtz
- “Long-term, we must begin to build our internal strengths. It isn't just skills like computer technology. It's the old-fashioned basics of self-reliance, self-motivation, self-reinforcement, self-discipline, self-command.” – Steven Pressfield
- “Self-discipline is the only power which can keep you energized even in the thoughest of the circumstances.” – Sukant Ratnakar
- “Nothing will work unless you do.” – Unknown
- “The successful person has the habit of doing the things failures don’t like to do. They don’t like doing them either necessarily. But their disliking is subordinated to the strength of their purpose.” – E.M. Gray
- “The secret of discipline is motivation. When a man is sufficiently motivated, discipline will take care of itself.” – Alexander Paterson
- “Self-discipline paves the way to turn your dreams into reality.” – Alex Garry
- “Imagine how pitiful life would be without self-discipline. We would achieve very little.” – Unknown
- “The Dalai Lama's entire being is about peace and harmony, forgiveness and self-discipline. Those are qualities to be admired. I am really looking forward to meeting His Holiness.” – Joe Nichols
- “There is no luck except where there is discipline.” – Irish proverb
- “Talent without discipline is like an octopus on roller skates.” – H. Jackson Brown
- “Always Remember to take your Vitamins: Take your Vitamin A for ACTION, Vitamin B for Belief, Vitamin C for Confidence ,Vitamin D for Discipline, Vitamin E for Enthusiasm!!” – Pablo
- “The only discipline that lasts is self-discipline.” – Bum Philips
- “Respect your efforts, respect yourself. Self-respect leads to self-discipline. When you have both firmly under your belt, that's real power.” – Clint Eastwood
- “Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes.” – Buddha
Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes.” – Buddha
- “The future depends on what we do in the present.” – Mahatma Ghandi
- “There is no easy way. There is only hard work, late nights, early mornings, practice, rehearsal, repetition, study, sweat, blood, toil, frustration, and discipline.” – Jocko Willink
- “Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become.” – Heraclitus
- “But the discipline you have in your life should be one determined by your own desires and your own needs, not put upon you by society or authority.” – Bertrand Russell
- “It’s easy to make excuses for the lack of self-discipline but excuses don’t get you anywhere.” – Unknown
- “When people ask me about what I learned from martial arts, I don't talk about favorite punches or kicks, or about fights won or lost. I talk about learning self-discipline, about ethics and manners and benevolence and fairness.” – Jonathan Maberry
- “I could only achieve success in my life through self-discipline, and I applied it until my wish and my will became one.” – Nikola Tesla
- “No man is fit to command another that cannot command himself.” – William Penn
- “The discipline of writing something down is the first step toward making it happen.” – Lee Iacocca
- “Self-respect is the root of discipline: The sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself.” – Abraham Joshua Heschel
- “The only bad workout is the one you didn’t do.” – Unknown
- “Work while you work, play while you play – this is a basic rule of repressive self-discipline.” – Theodor W. Adorno
- “There is no magic wand that can resolve our problems. The solution rests with our work and discipline.” – Jose Eduardo dos Santos
- “Through self-discipline comes freedom.” – Aristotle
- “What you do today can improve all your tomorrows.” – Ralph Marston
- “With faith, discipline and selfless devotion to duty, there is nothing worthwhile that you cannot achieve.” – Muhammad Ali Jinnah
With faith, discipline and selfless devotion to duty, there is nothing worthwhile that you cannot achieve.” – Muhammad Ali Jinnah
- “Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me, it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.” – Julie Andrews
- “Happiness is dependent on self-discipline. We are the biggest obstacles to our own happiness. It is much easier to do battle with society and with others than to fight our own nature.” – Dennis Prager
- “With this magic ingredient, you can accomplish anything and everything you want to, and it is called self-discipline.” – Brian Tracy
- “Everything we want to do in life requires discipline. And like strength, flexibility, and endurance, it can be built up over time.” – Laird Hamilton
- “The most powerful control we can ever attain, is to be in control of ourselves.” – Chris Page
- “Self-discipline is when your conscience tells you to do something and you don’t talk back.” – W. K. Hope
- “It is time to return to core values, time to get back to basics, to self-discipline and respect for the law, to consideration for the others, to accepting responsibility for yourself and your family – and not shuffling it off on other people and the state.” – John Major
- “Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.” – Seneca
- “The key is not to prioritize what’s on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.” – Stephen Covey
- “Self discipline is the mother of success.” – Topsy Gift
- “If the plan doesn’t work, change the plan, not the goal.” – Unknown
- “The discipline that is needed in our lives is the discipline that comes from within.” – Gordon B Hinkley
- “Rule your mind or it will rule you.” – Horace
- “I think self-discipline is something, it's like a muscle. The more you exercise it, the stronger it gets.” – Daniel Goldstein
- “Discipline yourself and others won't need to.” – John Wooden
- “Self-discipline is about controlling your desires and impulses while staying focused on what needs to get done to achieve your goal.” – Adam Sicinski
Self-discipline is about controlling your desires and impulses while staying focused on what needs to get done to achieve your goal.” – Adam Sicinski
- “Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace.” – Mike Ditka
- “Self-discipline is the ability to make yourself do what you should do, when you should do it, whether you feel like it or not.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “Self-discipline is an act of cultivation. It requires you to connect today's actions to tomorrow's results. There's a season for sowing a season for reaping. Self-discipline helps you know which is which.” – Gary Ryan Blair
- “Discipline is wisdom and vice versa.” – M. Scott Peck
- “Discipline – Success doesn’t just happen. You have to be intentional about it, and that takes discipline.” – John C. Maxwell
- “Discipline yourself to do the things you need to do when you need to do them, and the day will come when you will be able to do the things you want to do when you want to do them.” – Zig Ziglar
- “Self-discipline starts with the mastery of your thoughts. If you don’t control what you think, you can’t control what you do.” – Napoleon Hill
- “Discipline is what you must have to resist the lure of excuses.” – Brian Tracy
- “By constant self-discipline and self-control you can develop greatness of character.” – Grenville Kleiser
- “All successes begin with self-discipline. It starts with you.” – Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
- “I want to dedicate myself to training and discipline. I want to spend every moment of every day working to improve myself.” – Eiji Yoshikawa
- “Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “I can tell you character traits I admire and work to develop in myself – perseverance, self-discipline, courage to stand up for what is right even when it is against one's friends or one's self.” – Dalia Mogahed
- “No one likes to fail. But we mortals do not become champions without effort and discipline or without making mistakes.” – Dieter F. Uchtdorf
- “The more disciplined you become, the easier life gets.” – Steve Pavlina
Final Thoughts on Self-Discipline Quotes
Self-discipline is the key to success and personal growth. It’s the fuel that propels us towards our goals and helps us overcome any obstacles along the way.
That’s not to say it’ll always be easy. And at times you may stumble.
But stick with it. Go back and re-read these self-discipline quotes as often as you need. And feel empowered as you take charge of your future.
For more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 75 Positive Quotes to Lift Up Yourself or Other People
- 133 Positivity Quotes to Keep You Motivated During Challenges
- 35 Inspirational Have a Great Day Quotes and Sayings
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.