There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Life is undoubtedly full of ups and downs. One minute you’re on cloud nine, blissfully happy with the world around you… And the next, wondering what’s the point as you stare into your morning cup of coffee.
Why does life have to be so difficult? Why does every road have to be bumpy? And why can’t you find just one cookie that dunks into your cuppa without falling apart?
It’s like the world is trying to kick you when you’re down. And the remainders of your soggy biscuit (or donut if you prefer), now floating around in the murky depths of your cold cup, echo this perfectly.
But remember, it’s just one cup. And this is just one day.
It will get better. And these positive quotes are sure to help you find your happy place once again.
Daily blows or setbacks are part of life. And for the most, we tend to take it in our stride. They appear as minor inconveniences or niggles, and usually pass without too much worry.
But some things are more than just mildly frustrating. And the impact can vary from an off-mood to a slum of self-questioning.
Why do bad things only happen to me? Why didn't I get that promotion? Why is it always my car that breaks down in the rain?
We’ve all been there. But without the downpour, we’d never get that fresh post-rain smell. And we’d never see rainbows breaking through those dark clouds.
Move away from the negativity and re-live your childhood, jumping in the puddles instead of constantly side-stepping them. Dance in the rain as though it’s a stage calling your name and feel every single raindrop wash away your bad mood.
Life can only drag you down if you let it. And it will, for there will always be those “Why me?” moments. But you get to decide, every single day, how those moments affect you.
And remember, your attitude is infectious, so make it count. Be that positivity, not only in your own life but in those around you. Remind the woman in the bakery to have a great day, and make sure your work colleague knows they’re doing great.
Spread a little happiness, a little cheer. And some of these positive quotes with the people around you, for we all need a little uplifting nudge from time to time.
75 Positive Quotes to Lift Up Yourself or Other People
- “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” – William James
- “Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” – C.S. Lewis
- “If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.” – Booker T. Washington
- “Inhale, exhale, it is well, it is well. All of this is a part of the story you will tell.” – Morgan Harper Nichols
- “Believe you can and you're halfway there.” – Theodore Roosevelt
- “I am thankful for my struggle because without it I wouldn’t have come across my strength.” – Alex Elle
- “You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A.A. Milne
- “When you get tired, learn to rest, not quit.” – Banksy
- “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
- “Once you choose hope, anything is possible.” – Christopher Reeve
- “Attitude is the ‘little' thing that makes a big difference.” – Winston Churchill
- “By being yourself, you put something wonderful in the world that was not there before.” – Edwin Elliot
- “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
- “If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.” – Fred Rogers
- “All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney
- “If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sun beams and you will always look lovely.” – Roald Dahl
- “Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful.” – Hazrat Inayat Khan
- “Owning your story is the bravest thing you’ll ever do.” – Brené Brown
- “Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them.” – Madam C.J Walker
- “Spread love wherever you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.” – Mother Teresa
- “Happiness is not by chance, but by choice.” – Jim Rohn
- “Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.” – Confucius
- “The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.” – Steve Jobs
- “If you see something beautiful in someone speak it.” – Ruthie Lindsey
- “You are enough just as you are.” – Meghan Markle
- “The most beautiful people I’ve known are those who have known trials, have known struggles, have known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.” – Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
- “One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals.” – Michelle Obama
- “Life goes by fast. Enjoy it. Calm down. It’s all funny.” – Joan Rivers
- “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot.” – Michael Altshuler
- “Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” – Les Misérables
- “Happiness is not something readymade; it comes from your own actions.” – The Dalai Lama
- “For what it’s worth it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” – Oscar Wilde
- “As I look back on my life, I realize that every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being re-directed to something better.” – Dr. Steve Maraboli
- “All dreams are within reach. All you have to do is keep moving towards them.” – Viola Davis
- “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe
- “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe
- “Every day may not be good, but there is some good in every day.” – Alice Morse Earle
- “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” – Robert H. Schuller
- “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill
- “No exact recipe for today. Gather all available ingredients and whip yourself up something delicious.” – Lin-Manuel Miranda, Gmorning/Gnight
- “The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow. Don’t give up.” – Robert Tew
- “When your dreams are bigger than the places you find yourself in, sometimes you need to seek out your own reminders that there is more. And there is always more waiting for you on the other side of fear.” – Elaine Welteroth
- “You don't always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go, and see what happens.” – Mandy Hale
- “If you’re one of those people who has that little voice in the back of her mind saying, ‘Maybe I could do [fill in the blank],’ don’t tell it to be quiet. Give it a little room to grow, and try to find an environment it can grow in.” – Reese Witherspoon
If you’re one of those people who has that little voice in the back of her mind saying, ‘Maybe I could do [fill in the blank],’ don’t tell it to be quiet. Give it a little room to grow, and try to find an environment it can grow in.” – Reese Witherspoon
- “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” – Thomas A. Edison
- “You’re off to great places, today is your day. Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way.” – Dr. Seuss
- “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “Be messy and complicated and afraid and show up anyways.” – Glennon Doyle Melton
- “Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.” – Desmond Tutu
- “Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye.” – Helen Keller
- “I raise up my voice—not so that I can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard. … We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back.” – Malala Yousafzai
- “As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
- “It always seems impossible until it is done.” – Nelson Mandela
- “You always pass failure on the way to success.” – Mickey Rooney
- “Where there's hope, there's life. It fills us with fresh courage and makes us strong again.” – Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl
- “Fearlessness is like a muscle. I know from my own life that the more I exercise it the more natural it becomes to not let my fears run me.” – Arianna Huffington
- “That's what I consider true generosity: You give your all, and yet you always feel as if it costs you nothing.” – Simone de Beauvoir
- “Winning is fun, but those moments that you can touch someone’s life in a very positive way are better.” – Tim Howard
- “We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained.” – Marie Curie
- “Anything is possible with sunshine and a little pink.” – Lilly Pulitzer
- “The sun himself is weak when he first rises, and gathers strength and courage as the day gets on.” – Charles Dickens
- “Try to be a rainbow in someone else's cloud.” – Maya Angelou
- “Imagine this: What would happen if we were all brave enough to believe in our own ability, to be a little more ambitious? I think the world would change.” – Reese Witherspoon
- “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” – Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!
- “Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive good things and good people will be drawn to you.” – Mary Lou Retton
- “I believe great people do things before they are ready.” – Amy Poehler, Yes Please
- “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.” – Milton Berle
- “I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.” – Jimmy Dean
- “When you have a dream, you've got to grab it and never let go.” – Carol Burnett
- “For me, becoming isn't about arriving somewhere or achieving a certain aim. I see it instead as forward motion, a means of evolving, a way to reach continuously toward a better self. The journey doesn't end.” – Michelle Obama, Becoming
- “Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.” – Francesca Reigler
- “Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong.” – Ella Fitzgerald
- “The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.” – Jimmy Johnson
- “Nothing is impossible. The word itself says “I'm possible!” – Audrey Hepburn
Final Thoughts on Finding the Positives in Life
Often, the little things in life bring the most happiness. But if you become too wrapped up in the trials and tribulations of what you think is important, you may actually miss those uplifting moments.
No matter what your situation is, take a step back and try to find something positive, regardless of how small or insignificant it may first seem. Look for the rainbow on a cloudy day. And share that inner smile with the world.
Start with these 9 best happiness apps to track your moods and find out what makes you a happier human.
And if you want more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 105 Empathy Quotes That Demonstrate Compassion for Others
- 97 Moving on Quotes to Overcome Your Pain
- 57 Strong Mom Quotes About Being a Powerful Parent
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.