There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
So you're ready to propose and you know you want to do it over dinner. But here's the question: Should I propose before or after dinner?
A marriage proposal is one of the most pivotal events in the lives of both the person proposing and the person who is being proposed to. Without question, your engagement day will be a cherished memory that you will both look back on fondly.
Nailing your proposal and making it as memorable as possible sets the tone for the beginning of your formal partnership, and the beginning of your partnership sets the tone for the rest of your marriage.
What You Will Learn
- Should I Propose Before or After Dinner?
- Picking the Perfect Restaurant to Propose
- Where to Put the Engagement Ring When Proposing
- Proposing Before Dinner: Pros and Cons
- Proposing After Dinner: Pros and Cons
- The Best Tips for the Perfect Proposal
- Final Thoughts on Whether You Should Propose Before or After Dinner
Should I Propose Before or After Dinner?
Should you propose before or after dinner? The answer is that proposing before dinner is the best idea. When you propose before you eat dinner, you and your new fiancé can celebrate after dinner.
Also, you will be nervous as you anticipate your proposal. Proposing before dinner ensures that you'll be relaxed and in a celebratory mood for the remainder of your evening.
However, let's dive into more detail, as well as the pros and cons of proposing both before and after dinner.
Picking the Perfect Restaurant to Propose
Does the restaurant you pick actually matter when it comes to proposing before dinner? Indeed it does.
You have four options when it comes to how to choose the best restaurant to propose:
- Choose a restaurant that has special meaning for the two of you. It doesn't matter if it's a fancy restaurant or even a fast-food joint. For example, if the two of you met in line at McDonald's, it can be very meaningful for you to propose at that same restaurant. Alternatively, the restaurant where you ate on your first date is another excellent choice.
- Go to a restaurant that has always been on your dining bucket list. If there is a fancy restaurant your beloved has always wanted to visit, consider choosing that as the location for your proposal. Then, your proposal memories will always be linked to that special dining experience.
- Propose at a restaurant that is a favorite of the two of you. If there is a restaurant where you and your intended frequently eat, this can be the ideal location for your proposal. You may even be so familiar with the staff at the restaurant that they can be involved with the proposal by helping you make it extra special.
- Pick a restaurant that has special features. If you have a restaurant in your area that has an excellent view of the surrounding landscape, this can be the perfect place to propose. For example, many cities have rotating restaurants that are at the top of tall towers. Proposing with a gorgeous view of the city in the background can be extra special.
Where to Put the Engagement Ring When Proposing
Now that you've decided to propose at a restaurant, you need to figure out where you want to put the engagement ring. Here are some ideas.
Proposing Before Dinner: Pros and Cons
There are many benefits to proposing before dinner, but there are also some downsides. Let's dive into the pros and cons of proposing before dinner.
Pros of Proposing Before Dinner
Cons of Proposing Before Dinner
Proposing After Dinner: Pros and Cons
Just as there are good reasons to propose before dinner, there are also some pros and cons of proposing after dinner.
Pros of Proposing After Dinner
Cons of Proposing After Dinner
The Best Tips for the Perfect Proposal
Below are some more tips for making your restaurant proposal perfect.
Final Thoughts on Whether You Should Propose Before or After Dinner
Now that you know you want to propose at a restaurant, it's time to start planning out all of the details. Preparation is key to an unforgettable proposal that will be one of your most cherished relationship memories… as well as the building blocks to a solid marriage foundation.
For more relationship enhancement ideas, check out “101 This or That Questions for Couples” to discover even more about the person you love. At the same time, you'll probably learn a few new things about yourself.