There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Finding the right words to say, especially when emotions are high, can be tough. But realizing that those words are being ignored by the person they were intended for cuts far deeper.
You wish they would acknowledge you, understand you, or even argue the point with you. Anything but ignoring you would be better.
Their behavior can leave you feeling alone in your thoughts. It can make you feel like you don't matter or that your feelings and opinions are no longer valid. It can also leave you feeling helpless. And confused as to why you're being ignored.
But you’re not alone. And these being ignored quotes will help you to see that.
Why Being Ignored is So Hurtful
It’s easy to blame yourself; to justify why someone is treating you badly. We’ve all done it.
They’re tired. It’s been a long day. Work is putting a lot of pressure on them. You’ve been asking too much. You’re not understanding enough. You’re being demanding.
But none of these things, true or otherwise, can warrant giving someone the cold shoulder. It’s not a free pass to treat other people badly. Or a valid reason to make their life a misery.
Whether it's from a partner, a friend, or a family member, being ignored can be hurtful and frustrating. And ultimately, lead to much bigger problems.
Deciding how to deal with the situation is entirely down to you. You might want to try and help that person through their issues. And by doing so, break through your communication problems. You might also want to try expressing your feelings openly and honestly. Or simply ask them what’s going on.
But you may feel that their actions have caused too much hurt. And that you need to concentrate on your own well-being, which is completely understandable. Depending on the person and your relationship with them, this may only be for a short time. But it could also be more permanent if you feel that they no longer deserve a place in your life.
No matter how intentional or unintentional their behavior was, ignoring you is bound to leave you feeling low. It communicates rejection, exclusion, and a lack of value. And can be more damaging than any spoken word.
Whichever way you decide to address being ignored, know that you’re not alone in your experience. And that other people have gone through similar situations as seen with these being ignored quotes.
So let’s get started. And remember, you’re worth so much more than the people who choose to ignore you.
45 Being Ignored Quotes for When Someone is Ignoring You
- “I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone.” – Robin Williams
- “Everyone wants to be liked; everyone wants approval. No one likes being ignored.” – Daniel Mallory Ortberg
- “The cold iron of neglect is sharper to a child’s sensitive nature than any alteration of harshness and affection.” – Annie Edwards
- “The only person that deserves a special place in your life is someone that never made you feel like you were an option in theirs.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “Being ignored is a great privilege. That is how I think I learned to see what others do not see and to react to situations differently. I simply looked at the world, not really prepared for anything.” – Saul Leiter
Being ignored is a great privilege. That is how I think I learned to see what others do not see and to react to situations differently. I simply looked at the world, not really prepared for anything.” – Saul Leiter
- “There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.” – Oscar Wilde
- “Don't give up or give in in the face of patronising ridicule, amused disdain, or being ignored.” – Meryl Streep
- “There’s really no such thing as the ‘voiceless’. There are only the deliberately silenced, or the preferably unheard.” – Arundhati Roy
- “Something has to be heard to be ignored. He heard me this time, and he ignored me.” – H.G. Parry
- “Even the most intense feelings cease when neglected and taken for granted.” – Anupama Garg
- “Most of my childhood memories of my father are of being ignored. I was his namesake, but nothing I did ever pleased or even interested him. He enjoyed telling me I couldn't do anything right.” – Marlon Brando
- “Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” – Aldous Huxley
- “What’s worse than being hated is being ignored, because it’s like you don’t exist at all and your presence is nothing.” – Anurag Prakash Ray
- “Be so good they can’t ignore you.” – Steve Martin
- “Being there, but not being there.” – Anthony Liccione
- “If the people in the audience are talking, you're being ignored. If the people are gazing at you, you've got something they want to hear.” – Chuck Berry
- “Words can sting like anything. But silence breaks the heart.” – Suzanne Nichols
- “I have always been aware that you have to get people listening before you can change their minds. Any artist's big fear is being ignored, so if you get debate, that's great.” – Damien Hirst
I have always been aware that you have to get people listening before you can change their minds. Any artist's big fear is being ignored, so if you get debate, that's great.” – Damien Hirst
- “It would be too easy to say that I feel invisible. Instead, I feel painfully visible, and entirely ignored.” – David Levithan
- “People who've only seen me perform might assume that I'm confident and that being ignored wouldn't bother me – but it does.” – Lecrae
- “Spiteful words can hurt your feelings but silence breaks your heart.” – Mother Teresa
- “That bad feeling you get when your crush ignores you, and you think, “What did I do to deserve this treatment?” – Unknown
- “It’s interesting how people ignore you when you are no longer beneficial to their needs!” – Lily Amis
- “I think I owe you the time you wasted in ignoring me.” – Nitya Prakash
- “Don’t ignore a person who cares for you. Coz someday, you’ll realize you lost a diamond while you were busy collecting stones.” – Unknown
- “In the presence of the Moon nobody sees stars.” – Amit Kalantri
- “Sometimes people can hunger for more than bread. It is possible that our children, our husband, our wife, do not hunger for bread, do not need clothes, do not lack a house. But are we equally sure that none of them feels alone, abandoned, neglected, needing some affection? That, too, is poverty.” – Mother Teresa
- “People tend to pay attention to the guy who shouts and ignore the one who whispers.” – Kelly Moran
- “I hate the feeling when you are talking to someone, and then you catch them not listening.” – Unknown
- “If you’re being ignored, that’s a good time to concentrate on finding yourself and creating your own mystery.” – Lykke Li
- “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.” – J.K.Rowling
- “Once someone avoids you, never disturb them again.” – Unknown
- “If you often feel alone, ignored, or forgotten, think about this: closing the door and locking yourself in won't change anything – literally and figuratively.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
If you often feel alone, ignored, or forgotten, think about this: closing the door and locking yourself in won't change anything – literally and figuratively.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
- “If you feel neglected or ignored in the beginning, don’t expect a miracle as time goes on and he gets more use to you, it’s only going to get worse. Wake up, move on, and find someone who makes you feel you are truly wanted if you have to wonder about it.” – Debbie Rutherford
- “When your friends are ignoring you that means they weren’t your friends from the beginning, they were just acting like it.” – Nishan Panwar
- “I didn’t text you just to exercise my fingers; I was expecting a reply.” – Unknown
- “While it is better to be loved than hated, it is also far better to be hated than ignored.” – Viet Thanh Nguyen
- “When your husband ignores you, no matter if it’s all the time or just after arguments, he is trying to avoid and run away from a problem instead of dealing with it and solving it.” – Lisa Penn
- “She would have called after him but for the dread of being ignored.” – Ian McEwan
- “Distance doesn’t separate people. Silence does.” – Jeff Hood
- “I don’t like being ignored, and I don’t like being forgotten.” – Kreay Shawn
- “When you’re nothing, people will ignore you but when you’re on top that’s when everybody swears they know you.” – Lincey Alphonse
- “The worst thing a guy could do for a girl is to ignore her while she’s loving you with all her heart.” – Liam Payne
- “I grew up like a neglected weed – ignorant of liberty, having no experience of it.” – Harriet Tubman
- “You’re ignoring me so loud that it’s deafening. This silence is so deep that it’s echoing.” – Anna Jae
Final Thoughts on Being Ignored Quotes
No one likes being ignored. It can leave you feeling isolated, frustrated, and helpless. The damage caused can be long-lasting. And impact heavily on our mental and physical health.
But when being ignored, it’s important to remember that you are not to blame. That the reasons behind the hurtful behavior are not your fault. And that you deserve to be treated better.
Focus on looking after yourself, before anything else. Learn to be your own biggest supporter. And recognize your self-worth, for that holds more weight than anyone else’s opinion.
And for more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 67 Free Spirit Quotes for Those Who Live Differently
- 45 Lazy People Quotes to Motivate Hard Work
- 51 Regret Quotes About the Mistakes of the Past
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.