There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
We’re all intrigued by other people’s lives. Whether it’s watching folk walk past as we sit in the local café, or searching through social media to catch up on the latest celebrity gossip, curiosity comes to us all.
It’s human nature. People are fascinating to watch. And by taking an interest in their lives, we might feel in some way connected to them.
But the one person we often fail to take enough interest in is ourselves. And within these finding yourself quotes, we’re going to explore the importance of discovering who you are.
Have you ever seen a baby hold their hands up with an expression of utter amazement? If we could translate the baby babble, they’d probably be saying ‘How did those things get there?’ and ‘What do they do?’
Self-discovery starts at a very young age. And as babies grow into toddlers and even young children, the intrigue only heightens.
They start to climb, and balance, usually on things they shouldn’t be. Taste a variety of foods with mixed reactions. And form attachments to their favorite toys.
But as we grow up, the time spent finding out about ourselves lessens. The importance of trying new things, often disregarded. And we fall into the slum of ground hog day.
The journey of self-discovery shouldn’t stop once we can walk steadily on our feet. It’s not like we know everything about ourselves by the age of 5.
Our needs change. Our interests develop. And yet, we’d rather chase celebrity scandals than put the energy into finding ourselves.
You should be the most important person in your world. And finding yourself, no matter where your life has taken you so far, should be at the heart of your priorities.
Only then, can you discover what makes you truly happy; what drives you to better things, and better times. And gives you a sense of being, rather than just existing.
Now, let’s jump right in with these finding yourself quotes.
- “When you know yourself you are empowered. When you accept yourself you are invincible.”– Tina Lifford
- “To find yourself, think for yourself.” – Socrates
- “I feel the older I get, the more I'm learning to handle life. Being on this quest for a long time, it's all about finding yourself.” – Ringo Starr
- “At the centre of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.”– Lao Tzu
- “Breaking apart from someone you love very much can be unbearably painful, but finding yourself again can be a beautiful thing if you do your solitude right. – Grace Chatto
Breaking apart from someone you love very much can be unbearably painful, but finding yourself again can be a beautiful thing if you do your solitude right. – Grace Chatto
- “Men can starve from a lack of self-realization as much as they can from a lack of bread.” – Richard Wright
- “When you make the finding yourself – even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light – you'll never forget it.” – Carl Sagan
- “You have no need to travel anywhere. Journey within yourself, enter a mine of rubies and bathe in the splendour of your own light.” – Rumi
- “Be who you are, and find yourself so you can be your own person and enjoy life with no regret.” – Bonnie Zackson Koury
- “All the wonders you seek are within yourself.” – Thomas Browne
- “The whole journey of being a wrestler is also a journey of finding yourself and who you are. If it feels natural to you, it's natural to me because I'm just being myself every time I'm out there.” – Elias
- “The only journey is the journey within.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
- “Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom.” – Lao Tzu
- “The greatest discovery in life is self-discovery. Until you find yourself, you will always be someone else. Become yourself.” – Myles Munroe
- “This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.” – William Shakespeare
- “If you're being ignored, that's a good time to concentrate on finding yourself and creating your own mystery.” – Lykke Li
- “It is so important to take time for yourself and find clarity. The most important relationship is the one you have with yourself.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
- “I wasn’t searching for something or someone….I was searching for me.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- “It's not about finding a home so much as finding yourself.” – Jason Behr
- “Falling in love with yourself first doesn’t make you vain or selfish, it makes you indestructible.” – Unknown
Falling in love with yourself first doesn’t make you vain or selfish, it makes you indestructible.” – Unknown
- “Your real self may be hiding somewhere, look for it within, when you find yourself, you can freely be what you want to be.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
- “All this time I was finding myself, And I didn’t know I was lost.” – Avicci
- “As I began to love myself, I found that anguish and emotional suffering are only warning signs that I was living against my own truth. Today, I know, this is authenticity.” – Charlie Chaplin
- “Finding yourself can affect how you think about your appearance.” – Edith Bowman
- “We lose ourselves in things we love. We find ourselves there, too.” – Kristin Martz
- “When you discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy; care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
- “Step into the fire of self-discovery. This fire will not burn you, it will only burn what you are not.” – Mooji
- “And into the forest, I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.” – John Muir
- “When you're telling a story, the best stories, every character has an arc. Every one. And that arc is usually about finding yourself, or about at least finding something about yourself that you didn't know.” – Roy Conli
- “Sometimes when you lose your way, you find yourself.” – Mandy Hale
- “You really have to look inside yourself and find your own inner strength, and say, ‘I’m proud of what I am and who I am, and I’m just going to be myself.” – Mariah Carey
- “Not until we are lost do we begin to find ourselves.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “The show is definitely not just about weight-loss physically. It's more about finding yourself. It's really funny because I realized at one of our table reads that ‘Huge' was really about the weight that we carry around mentally.” – Raven Goodwin
- “Discovering who you are today is the first step to being who you will be tomorrow.” – Mustapha Lanre Idreez
- “We must take adventures in order to know where we truly belong.” – Unknown
- “Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.” – Carl Jung
- “Finding yourself is an enlightening experience. You become self-sufficient and do things for others without expectations of something in return. You are no longer needy and become utterly grateful for all the things people have done for you in the past.” – James Seaton
Finding yourself is an enlightening experience. You become self-sufficient and do things for others without expectations of something in return. You are no longer needy and become utterly grateful for all the things people have done for you in the past.” – James Seaton
- “You've got to find yourself first. Everything else will follow.” – Charles de Lint
- “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
- “Don’t worry about finding your soulmate. Find yourself.” – Jason Evert
- “I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself.” – Maya Angelou
- “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “Get lost in nature, and you will find yourself.” – Unknown
- “You have no need to travel anywhere. Journey within yourself, enter a mine of rubies and bathe in the splendor of your own light.” – Rumi
- “We must fall in love with ourselves. I don’t like myself. I’m crazy about myself.” – Mae West
- “The only journey worthwhile is finding yourself.” – Unknown
- “Sometimes, you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.” – Unknown
Final Thoughts on Finding Yourself Quotes
Self-discovery is a journey we should all take. And yet, so few of us do. Commitments to the lives we already lead take president. And our needs, fall behind.
It’s time to start seeing ‘You’ as a priority. To find yourself, whether that’s by taking a 6-month trek around the world, or allowing yourself an hour in the evening to just sit, without interruption.
Only then will you discover a true happiness from within. The happiness you deserve.
For more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 35 Positive Bhagavad Gita Quotes to Understand Life
- 57 Pema Chodron Quotes About Love, Life, and Gratitude
- 51 Do What Makes You Happy Quotes for 2023
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.