There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
For many people, getting in the car is part of life. We use it to go to work. To go for groceries. Appointments. Meetings. Picking up the kids. Grabbing a Happy Meal on the way home…
It’s a way of getting where we need to be. A mere container on wheels. And, unless new and shiny, provides similar comfort to the cardboard box we used as a child to go on grand adventures.
Back then, we traveled as far as our imaginations would take us. In just one day, we could visit the zoo, the beach, and even the jungle, before heading back home in time for tea.
But who’s to say such adventures are reserved only for children? These road trip quotes are a reminder that we all need to take more journeys. To hit the road and live for every beautiful moment we encounter on the way.
What You Will Learn
Why Should You Take More Road Trips?
In a world of continuous clock-watching, it’s more important than ever to be spontaneous. And this should definitely involve road trips. Preferably with good company (which, if you’re not a people person, may well be your dog with their ears flapping in the wind), good snacks, and, of course, a good playlist to sing your heart out to.
Because without adventure, life becomes mundane. We begin to resent the trivial tasks that are expected of us. And even the simplest of chores leave a bitter taste.
The onset of groundhog day brings security to those who want it, accepting what they have and asking for no more. But for the adventurers in life, it'll never be enough as they fight to break from the shackles and smell freedom in their morning cuppa.
Freedom from the norm. The day-to-day. The uninspiring. And replace it with roads to who knows where.
Because life isn’t all about making it to work on time. Or picking up a fresh loaf of bread on your way home, especially when you actually wanted bagels. And a coffee-to-go with all those fancy extras.
Make a plan, or, if you can, just go, on a wild adventure to find those extras. Visit all the places you saw in the movies, in books, or on the back of cereal boxes. Make a bucket list of places to tick off.
And take impulsive turn-offs, just to see where the road goes. Because ultimately, it’s the places that we’ve never seen that open our hearts the most.
Find inspiration for your new adventure with these road trip quotes. And remember to never look back, for the opportunities are on the road ahead.
- “Because the greatest part of a road trip isn’t arriving at your destination. It’s all the wild stuff that happens along the way.” – Emma Chase
- “The journey is part of the experience – an expression of the seriousness of one’s intent. One doesn’t take the A train to Mecca.” – Anthony Bourdain
- “I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. the great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
- “The pleasure we derive from journeys is perhaps dependent more on the mindset with which we travel than on the destination we travel to.” – Alain de Botton
- “It’s not the destination, it's the journey.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “I can speak to my soul only when the two of us are off exploring deserts or cities or mountains or roads.” – Paulo Coelho
- “Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling.” – Margaret Lee Runbeck
- “Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” – David Mitchell
- “To those who stay put, the world is but an imaginary place. But to the movers, the makers and the shakers, the world is all around, an endless invitation.” – Unknown
- “Road trips aren’t measured by mile markers, but by moments.” – Unknown
- “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St Augustine
- “Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road, Healthy, free, the world before me, The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.” – Walt Whitman
- “Roads were made for journeys, not destinations.” – Confucius
- “It’s a road trip! It’s about adventure! . . . It’s not like we have somewhere to go.” – John Green
- “The gladdest moment in human life, me thinks, is a departure into unknown lands.” – Sir Richard Burton
- “If happiness is the goal, and it should be, then adventures should be a priority.” – Richard Branson
- “The freedom of the open road is seductive, serendipitous and absolutely liberating” – Aaron Lauritsen
- “Just grab a friend and take a ride together upon the open road.” – A Goofy Movie
- “Still, round the corner, there may wait, a new road or a secret gate.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
- “Map out your future – but do it in pencil. The road ahead is as long as you make it. Make it worth the trip.” – Bon Jovi
- “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” – Anita Desai
- “People don’t take trips, trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
- “Travel is the only thing we buy that makes us richer.” – Unknown
- “Every journey is simultaneously a beginning and an ending: I was leaving my old life behind and starting on a road trip to find a new me.” – Debi Tolbert Duggar
- “I don’t know where I’m going but I’m on my way.” – Carl Sandberg
- “Don’t be that person who is too busy when you’re young and then too tired when you’re old.” – Unknown
- “I love being on the road. I love that lifestyle, traveling city to city, rocking out and moving on to the next place.” – Caleb Johnson
- “Don’t live the same year 75 times and call it a life.” – Robin Sharma
- “A road trip is a way for the whole family to spend time together and annoy each other in interesting and new places.” – Tom Lichtenheld
- “Sometimes all you need is a great friend and a tank of gas.” – Unknown
- “Look at life through the windshield, not the rearview mirror.” – Byrd Baggett
- “The world is too big to stay in one place, and life is too short to do just one thing.” – Unknown
- “If we wait until we are ready, we will be waiting for the rest of our life!” – Lemony Snicket
- “Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself.” – Stacy Westfall
- “We all have that one friend who is either on a road-trip or planning a road-trip or thinking about a road-trip or talking to people who are on road-trip or posting quotes about road-trip.” – Crestless Wave
- “Life is too short not to go on that spontaneous road trip.” – Unknown
- “There is nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars.” – Jack Kerouac
- “I may not have ended up where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.” – Douglas Adams
- “If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet.” – Rachel Wolchin
- “Well, we’re not in the middle of nowhere, but we can see it from here.” – Thelma & Louise
Well, we’re not in the middle of nowhere, but we can see it from here.” – Thelma & Louise
- “And just like that, we’re on our way to everywhere.” – Emery Lord
- “Traveling, it leaves you speechless then turns you into a story teller.” – Ibn Battuta
- “Oh, the places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
- “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.” – Babs Hoffman
- “Always take the scenic route.”- Unknown
- “If you come to a fork in the road, take it.” – Yogi Berra
- “Adventure is out there.” – Up
- “I wish road trips could pay my bills.” – Unknown
- “A bend in the road, is not the end of the road….unless you fail to make the turn.” – Helen Keller
- “To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, To gain all while you give, To roam the roads of lands remote, To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
- “Travel is the best way to be lost and found at the same time.” – Brenna Smith
- “The open road is a beckoning, a strangeness, a place where a man can lose himself.” – William Least Heat Moon
- “Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret.” – Oscar Wilde
- “According to the map, we’ve only gone four inches.” – Dumb & Dumber
- “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller
- “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” – Lewis Carroll
- “Travel is like an endless university, you never stop learning.” – Harvey Lloyd
- “Making memories one road trip at a time.” – Unknown
- “Look on every exit as being an entrance somewhere else.” – Tom Stoppard
- “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” – Unknown
- “Road trips require a couple of things: a well balanced diet of caffeine, salt and sugar, and an excellent set of tunes – oh, and directions.” – Jenn McKinlay
- “Getting lost is sometime the best way to find yourself.” – Maxime Lagace
- “The only impossible journey is the one you never begin” – Tony Robbins
- “Let’s go somewhere where nobody knows our name.” – Unknown
- “Wherever you get to is better than where you started. To stay on the road is a massive achievement.” – Anthony Joshua
- “Happiness is a road trip with a good playlist.” – Unknown
- “The best part of a road trip isn’t arriving at your destination … It’s the fast food along the way.” – Unknown
- “The most beautiful thing in the world is, of course, the world itself.” – Wallace Stevens
- “Never underestimate the therapeutic power of driving and listening to very loud music.” – Unknown
- “I just go with the flow, I follow the yellow brick road. I don’t know where it’s going to lead me, but I follow it.” – Grace Jones
- “And so the adventure begins.” – Unknown
- “If you make the mistake of looking back too much, you aren’t focused enough on the road in front of you.” – Brad Paisley
- “I take to the open road. Healthy, free, the world before me.” – Walt Whitman
- “Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you ride through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief, and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!” – Bob Marley
- “You make me wanna roll my windows down and cruise.” – Florida Georgia Line
- “My favourite thing to do is to go where I’ve never been.” – Diane Arbus
- “It doesn’t matter how old you are, buying snacks for a road trip should always look like an unsupervised 9 year old given $100.” – Unknown
- “Sometimes the most scenic roads in life are the detours you didn’t mean to make.” – Angela N. Blount
- “Road trippin’ with my two favourite allies – fully loaded we got snacks and supplies. It’s time to leave this town it’s time to steal away. Let’s go get lost anywhere in the U.S.A.” – Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- “In life, it’s not where you go, it’s who you travel with.” – Charles M. Schultz
- “Discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
If you’d never stepped outside the front door, you’d have missed out on the brilliantly blue skies, the smell of freshly cut grass, and the taste of pastries from the local bakery.
But life’s most wonderful offerings aren’t always that close by. Sometimes they’re a town or two away. And sometimes a whole trip that’s best taken by car with a ridiculous amount of time to take in the views.
Check out these travel affirmations to experience an amazing journey. And remember to buckle up, for your next road trip is going to be incredible.
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.