There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Life is too short. And that one statement alone sums up exactly why you should do what makes you happy.
Yes, we all have obligations that involve doing things that might not bring us happiness (paying bills, cleaning the bathroom, driving to work during rush hour…) But that doesn’t mean our search for fulfilment should cease.
It’s time to put yourself first. To think about your own happiness. And if you’re in need of that metaphorical kick up the backside to do that, these do what makes you happy quotes are just the thing.
Should You Spend More Time Doing What Makes You Happy?
Far too often, we put up with and get on with, for the sake of other people. Family, friends, partners, and even co-workers. They all, at some point, have expectations that weigh heavy on us. And simply don’t make us happy.
So why do we do it anyway? Often, for an easier life. It avoids awkward situations and disgruntled debates. And for the time it takes to do whatever it is they wanted, you didn’t really lose anything.
But, actually, you did.
For every moment spent doing things that don’t tick the happy box, you’ve lost time doing things that could. And you can’t get those moments back. You can’t exchange them. Or ask to reset the game of life.
This, right now, right here, is all we’ve got. There are no promises or guarantees for next week or next year. So shouldn't we stop wasting time on stuff that doesn’t make us truly happy?
You could try writing a list, or grabbing a journal, and noting down everything you want to do. Things that you’ve put off, found excuses for, or didn’t even think of until today. And then pick one.
It doesn’t need to be grand (unless white water rafting was on your list!) And it doesn’t need to involve anyone else unless you want it to.
This is your story. Your happiness. And your reminder to get up and live your life.
So let’s get started with these do what makes you happy quotes.
51 Do What Makes You Happy Quotes for 2023
- “It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.” – Charles Spurgeon
- “Stop comparing yourself to other people, just choose to be happy and live your own life.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “Whatever you decide to do. Make sure it makes you happy.” – Paulo Coelho
- “I think, whatever makes you happy in life, you gotta do it. You can’t plan in life too much.” – Tyga
- “To be happy, we must not be too concerned with others.” – Albert Camus
- “You are happy when you are enthusiastic and action-oriented, not when you are luxury and pleasure oriented.” – Debasish Mridha
- “True happiness is…to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future.” – Seneca
- “The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Do what makes you happy, be with who makes you smile, laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live.” – Rachel Ann Nunes
- “Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” – Marthe Troly-Curtin
- “If you want happiness for an hour – take a nap. If you want happiness for a day – go fishing. If you want happiness for a year – inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime – help someone else.” – Chinese Proverb
- “You gotta look for the good in the bad, the happy in your sad, the gain in your pain, and what makes you grateful not hateful.” – Karen Salmansohn
- “Don’t wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you’ve got to make yourself.” – Alice Walker
- “Forget trying to please them, do what makes you happy.” – Unknown
- “Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they didn’t stop to enjoy it.” – William Feather
- “DO MORE of what makes you happy, spend more time with who makes you smile. Worry not the person that doesn’t like you back…” – Unknown
- “Be a curator of your life. Slowly cut things out until you’re only left with what’s necessary, with what makes you happy.” – Leo Babbuta
- “The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.” – Coco Chanel
- “Happiness is a state of mind. It’s just according to the way you look at things.” – Walt Disney
- “Being happy never goes out of style.” – Lilly Pulitzer
- “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” – Herman Cain
- “Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Never live your life for anyone else but you, find and Do what makes You happy.” – Rashida Rowe
- “Happiness hides in life’s small details. If you’re not looking, it becomes invisible.” – Joyce Brothers
- “Be healthy and take care of yourself, but be happy with the beautiful things that make you, you.” – Beyoncé
- “Happiness isn’t an accident. It’s a decision to prioritize yourself and enjoy your life.” – Unknown
- “He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.” – Muhammad Ali
- “It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.” – L.M. Montgomery
It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.” – L.M. Montgomery
- “Do what makes you happy. Not everyone will understand, and that’s okay.” – Unknown
- “Better late than never, do what’s best for yourself. Only you know what makes you happy and what’s gonna make you happy.” – Unknown
- “Happiness is like those places in fairy tales whose gates are guarded by dragons; we must fight in order to conquer it.” – Alexandre Dumas
- “You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren’t happy in one place, chances are you won’t be happy anyplace.” – Ernie Banks
- “Most people would rather be certain they’re miserable, than risk being happy.” – Dr.Robert Anthony
- “Haters gonna hate, no matter what you choose to do. So, you might as well do what makes you happy.” – Anthon St. Maarten
- “Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like.” – Unknown
- “Roll with the punches and enjoy every minute of it.” – Meghan Markle
- “Happiness doesn’t depend on any external conditions, it is governed by our mental attitude.” – Dale Carnegie
- “Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.” – Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
- “If you want to be happy, be.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.” – James Oppenheim
- “Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.” – Dalai Lama
- “You should do what suits you and what makes you happy instead of doing something you don’t like.” – Anurag Prakash Ray
- “Do not set aside your happiness. Do not wait to be happy in the future. The best time to be happy is always now.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “Beauty is everywhere. You only have to look to see it.” – Bob Ross
- “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” – Maya Angelou
- “Each day you owe it to yourself to go after what makes you happy.” – Germany Kent
- “Life is not about depending on others to make you happy. It’s about doing whatever makes YOURSELF happy.” – Unknown
- “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to swim.” – Jon Kabat Zinn
- “Stay close to that which produces fireworks inside of you.” – Hiral Nagda
- “There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will.” – Epictetus
- “The most important thing is to enjoy your life – to be happy. It’s all that matters.” – Audrey Hepburn
Final Thoughts on Doing What Makes You Happy
It’s OK to put yourself first. To say no to unhealthy expectations, or unrealistic goals. And, instead, do things that make you happy.
Not happy to put up with, but happy in yourself. To put the focus on your well-being. And only walk in the sunshine, rather than in other people’s shadows.
If you’re looking for more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 55 Confucius Quotes That Help You Succeed in Life Today
- 107 Quotes About Overcoming Adversity and Challenges in Your Life
- 67 Self-Reflection Quotes to Help You Grow as a Person
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.