65 Conversation Starters for Couples to Connect with Each Other
There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Do you want to have deep, meaningful conversations with your partner, but don’t know where to start?
They say that being able to talk to your partner is one of the keys to having a successful relationship. Actually, having conversations with anyone builds and strengthens all types of relationships.
But now and then we all run out of words or topics to discuss, and feel like we’re missing the chance to have intimate moments with our partners.
(Side note: Another positive way to improve your life is to read and learn something new every day. A great tool to do this is to join over 1 million others and start your day with the latest FREE, informative news from this website.)
In this article, we share with you a list of the best conversation starters for couples who want to connect with each other. You can use them to get to know more about one another and discover what you both want in life.
But before we jump into the list, we’d like to first share some thoughts on the importance and benefits of having conversations.
What You Will Learn
The Importance of Conversations
They enhance confidence and boost self-esteem. Experts say that one of the most effective ways to boost self-confidence and self-esteem is through talking to others. It allows you to practice your communication skills and language competence, providing a way to make you feel less pressured when encountering other people.
They strengthen the physical and emotional bond between partners. Communication is key. Cliché as it is, this is always true. One of the most important aspects of having a strong and healthy relationship is communication, and this is facilitated by having regular conversations.
They provide a sense of social support and belongingness. Having conversations with your partner opens the way to mindful communication—the ability to listen without making judgments and speak without fear of humiliation. When this occurs, you and your partner feel a greater sense of security in your relationship.
They help in setting the boundaries of your relationship. A strong and healthy relationship is one that knows its limits. When you regularly have conversations with your partner, you both learn to set your parameters.
They build the trust and respect that both parties should have for each other. Trust and respect are both vital for a successful relationship, and one way to give and receive the trust and respect that you both deserve is through having meaningful conversations.
Since conversation is so important, let’s get one started. Here is our list of conversation starters that can break the ice between you and your partner.
21 Topics to Talk about with a Girl
Women are complex, and can be difficult for men to understand. But what better way to begin to understand a woman than to initiate a conversation with her?
If you are looking for ways to start a conversation with your wife or girlfriend, the topics and questions below might be just what you need.
Allow yourself to embrace the things you possibly do not know yet about her. Learning the answers to these questions will make you appreciate her and the things she does more than ever.
- What is the best advice you have ever received from someone?
- If you were given a chance to change your name, what would it be?
- What is the best gift you have ever given to someone?
- What do people automatically assume when they look at you?
- If the house was on fire, what is the first thing you would grab and take away with you?
- Where is your dream destination, and how would you like to spend that vacation?
- What did you want to be when you grew up, and do you still want it now?
- What are the life lessons that your previous relationships have taught you?
- What are three important things that guys should know and understand about girls?
- What is the worst thing about being in a relationship?
- What do you wish people would stop asking you?
- What are the best and worst things about being a girl?
- If you could be a guy for a day, who would you be?
- What was the most embarrassing thing you have done for a friend?
- Do you believe that we all have soul mates?
- What are some of the signs that a guy is starting to be creepy?
- Are you decisive or indecisive, and to what extent?
- What is a weird smell that everyone hates but you really enjoy?
- What do you enjoy doing that is traditionally considered masculine?
- Do you like meeting new people?
- What are the things you love about yourself?
21 Topics to Talk about with a Guy
If you are a woman and you want to initiate a conversation with your man, but do not know where to start, then this section is for you.
It can be difficult for men to open themselves up and be vulnerable, so you may need to read between the lines and ask relevant follow-up questions.
Here are some questions to use during bonding time with your man.
- What are the things that make you insecure?
- What are the factors that help you decide whether or not to trust a person?
- What are your expectations from a romantic relationship?
- What are the things that make you genuinely happy?
- Do you want to have children in the future? (For couples who have children: Do you want to have more children in the future?)
- What is the craziest thing you have ever done to impress a girl?
- What do you find most attractive in a woman?
- What is one thing that is a total turn off? What is one thing that is a total turn on?
- What are your life and professional goals?
- Have you ever had your heart broken?
- What would you do if you had a million dollars?
- What is the scariest thing you have ever done?
- When did you last cry, and why?
- If you were forced to move to a rural area, what are the top three things that you would take with you?
- What is one thing you would change if you were given a chance to rewrite the past?
- How would you set up the first date with someone you had just met?
- What is one thing you wish you could change about yourself?
- Who or what is your biggest go-to person or activity whenever you feel down?
- What is a random hobby you have always wanted to try but never had the chance to?
- What do you think are your biggest strengths and weaknesses?
- What are the best and worst things about being a guy?
- What are the three events in your past that have made the biggest impact in your life?
22 Questions for Couples to Talk about
Of course, the conversations you have with your partner need to be balanced. It is not always about just him or just her—there should also be the concept of “us” and “we” in your relationship.
During date nights, or when the two of you are simply together, take the opportunity to ask your partner about his or her views of your relationship. Build a stronger connection by revealing your thoughts about the bond between you.
There is no assurance that you and your partner will have the same answers, but that’s okay. What matters is that you are both open to hearing what the other is thinking and feeling. Sometimes distinct opinions and differing views provide the most opportunity for growth. Here are some topics to discuss together as partners.
- What would you want to be written on your/our tombstone when you/we die?
- What do you think makes us unique and different from other couples?
- What parts or attributes of our relationship are you most and least proud of?
- What adventures would you like to have and go on with me?
- What was your most memorable experience with me?
- What is your favorite gift I have given you?
- What are the top three things we should include on our bucket list?
- How would you feel if I made more money than you?
- What do you think our life will be like 10 years from now?
- If we were a superhero duo, who would we be and what superpowers would we have?
- What are the most important questions partners should ask each other before getting married?
- When was the last time you laughed so hard that you cried?
- What is one thing I do that makes you really happy?
- What curiosity-killed-the-cat story of mine/yours is your favorite?
- How much space or alone time do you think people in relationships should give each other?
- What is the biggest lie that someone told you? What is the biggest lie you have told someone?
- What new hobbies or activities would you like to try together as a couple?
- What is one decision that changed the entire course of your life?
- If you had to choose between a career you loved for little money and a career you don’t enjoy for a high salary, which would you pick?
- What will be the title of the book about our love story?
- When I/the family does not approve of a decision you’ve made, how do you handle it?
- If you could trade lives with someone, who would it be?
Even if you and your partner have been together for years now, there are probably still things that you might not know about each other. Consider having a fun and meaningful conversation night with your partner once or twice a week. Remember that communication is a very powerful tool, and a skill that can make or break a relationship.
Finally, if you want another positive way to improve your life, then read and learn something new every day. A great tool to do this is to join over 1 million others and start your day with the latest FREE, informative news from this website.
Did any of the questions/topics mentioned above catch your attention?
If so, we’d like to know which one! Send us your thoughts through the comment field below, and let’s discuss how you and your partner can use this list to build a stronger relationship.