There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Ask a child to draw their family tree and more often than not, it’ll look like a plate of spaghetti. Not because that’s what they had for dinner last night. But because they’re part of a blended family.
And although it may look confusing, that family is filled with more love than a child could ever need. From step-parents to bonus grandparents. From brothers from another mother. And step-sisters who now share a ridiculously big wardrobe.
Blended families can come from so many different backgrounds. But they all share the need for time. Compassion. And an open heart that is willing to love not only their own but also those who became part of their life later on.
And these blended family quotes show just how amazing that life can be.
Some things don’t belong together, like Mexican food and tight jeans. Or sarcasm and Sheldon Cooper (one for the Big Bang Theory fans!)
But others work better together than apart. And blended families, when shown every ounce of love, patience, and kindness known to man, illustrates this perfectly.
That’s not to say that step-families are perfect. ‘I want my real Mom’, ‘You’re not my Dad’, and ‘I hate my life’ are part and parcel of being in a blended family.
As an adult, the negotiations you end up wading through can leave you questioning your own sanity. Because it’s tough. Tougher than anything you had previously imagined.
You have to learn to parent in a way that works for you all, and not just your own. To understand that you can’t always be the good guy. And you won’t always be liked.
But when the words ‘Thanks for listening’ or ‘‘I’m glad you’re here’ are muttered by an otherwise grunting teenager, you realize it’s all completely worth it. That your blended family is actually very special. And is worth all the tears and tantrums you face.
Your family doesn’t have to be connected by DNA or last names. The people within it don’t have to live under the same roof. And they don’t have to be called Mom and Dad just to be a parent.
They just have to be there for each other. To show all the patience, kindness, and love in the world. And grow, as both individuals and as a whole.
It won’t ever be smooth sailing. But it will be worth it, as shown by these blended family quotes. So let’s get started.
- “Bright families are just like bright colors: When you blend two, you get something beautiful!” – Unknown
- “Any man can help make a child, but it takes a special man to help raise a child.” – Tony Gaskins
- “Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.” – Jane Howard
- “Blended families woven together by choice strengthened together by love tested by everything and each uniquely ours.” – Unknown
- “The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other.” – Richard Bach
The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other.” – Richard Bach
- “Lookin’ back, all I can say about all the things he did for me is, I hope I’m at least half the dad that he didn’t have to be.” – Brad Paisley
- “I didn’t give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you.” – Unknown
- “In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Blood makes you related; love makes you family.” – Unknown
- “Live one day at a time (or one moment if you have to). Blend little by little and celebrate even the smallest breakthrough.” – Andi Parker-Kimbrough
- “Families don’t have to match. You don’t have to look like someone else to love them.” – Leigh Anne Tuohy
- “Family: People in your life who are close to your heart, who bring out the best in you, who laugh, celebrate, and dream with you, who love you infinitely.” – Unknown
- “There will always be steps you can take toward unity in your blended family. You will make – one step at a time!” – Donna Houpe
- “What I’m doing isn’t about me, it’s about the two little kids that my husband brought into my life. It is about them and making sure that they feel safe, happy, and supported.” – Rose Quinn
- “Life feels complete when you’re together with your family.” – Unknown
- “Being a stepmom means they grew inside of my heart instead of my tummy.” – Unknown
- “It’s about prioritizing. Just take it one step at a time. Do the best that you can. I’m a mom and have two husbands – an ex husband and a next husband. It’s a blended family and it’s very hard to keep things together, but we’re happy and we live in love.” – Unknown
- “Blended families are a beautiful mix of diverse people who each serve an important role in our lives. At times, it can be challenging to appreciate everyone’s unique beauty.” – Deana Keller La Rosa
- “We combined our two families to make one mega, magical, super-strong, ultra-powerful family.” – Unknown
- “Stop thinking that things are going to be perfect. It’s not going to happen. The kids will not get along all the time, the house will not always be quiet, you will not always hear ‘please’ and ‘thank you.’ It isn’t realistic. What is realistic is taking stock of how incredibly lucky you are to have more children to love and to guide.” – Kellee Mulkerin-Ford
- “Why have one family when you can have two?” – Unknown
- “This blended family is twice the crazy, twice the chaos, and ten times the fun.” – Unknown
- “Being a family means you are a part of something very wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life.” – Lisa Weed
- “This gang is blended with a cup of love, a cup of patience, and a cup of crazy.” – Unknown
- “Becoming a blended family means mixing, mingling, scrambling, and sometimes muddling our way through delicate family issues, complicated relationships, and individual differences, hurts, and fears. But through it all, we are learning to love like a family.” –Tom Frydenger
Becoming a blended family means mixing, mingling, scrambling, and sometimes muddling our way through delicate family issues, complicated relationships, and individual differences, hurts, and fears. But through it all, we are learning to love like a family.” –Tom Frydenger
- “When two families combine, they create a new definition of love.” – Unknown
- “The blended family isn’t just an ordinary family times two. It’s a special kind of family with special needs.” – Maxine Marsolin
- “Our blended family is unique, silly, and filled with lots of love.” – Unknown
- “You’re facing one of the most important challenges of your life. Yet, being a member of a blended family can be an exciting adventure for all concerned.” – Kathie M. Thompson
- “Being in a blended family means there's a lot of extra love to go around.” – Unknown
- “The first key to balancing your busy life and creating a peaceful environment for your blended family to thrive in, lies in defining your family values – first as a couple, then as a family.” – Kellye Laughery
- “We all took one step back when life didn't go as planned, but now we take all our steps forward together.” – Unknown
- “No matter the word that comes before it, every family is still a family at the core.” – Unknown
- “Families don't have to start together to end together.” – Unknown
- “Family is a lifejacket in the stormy sea of life.” – J.K. Rowling
- “Blended or stepfamily? To me, we're just family, plain and simple.” – Unknown
- “Blended families are woven together by choice, strengthened by love, tested by everything and each are uniquely ours.” – Unknown
- “Blended families mean bonus grandmas, and there is simply no drawback to more grandmas!” – Unknown
- “I never wanted kids. Then I became a stepmom, and there was no place I’d rather be than with them.” – Gabrielle Union
- “It was definitely much more than a hunch, and this family was destined to become a blended bunch!” – Unknown
- “Family is family, whether it’s the one you start out with the one you end up with, or the family you gain along the way.” – Unknown
- “I thought I couldn't love any child as much as I love my own, until I met my bonus child.” – Unknown
- “Children in blended families also tend to be more open to compromising and better able to negotiate in a meaningful and collaborative way.” – Matthew Massimo
- “My stepchildren have proven that parental love has nothing to do with biology.” – Unknown
- “My advice to the newly blended family would be to spend some time alone with not only your biological kids but also the step-kids. Take time to make each child feel special.” – Anita Dunn
My advice to the newly blended family would be to spend some time alone with not only your biological kids but also the step-kids. Take time to make each child feel special.” – Anita Dunn
- “Family is not defined by our genes, it is built and maintained through love.” – Unknown
- “I don't have stepchildren. I just have children.” – Unknown
- “One of the most powerful things you can do to make your blended family victorious is to learn how to release unrealistic expectations.” – Kellye Laughery
- “Because of my stepkids, I smile wider, laugh louder, and love deeper.” – Unknown
- “We aren’t ‘step,’ we aren’t ‘half,’ we’re just family.” – Unknown
- “Where there is a family, there is sacrifices, happiness and love for others.” – Invajy
- “Behind a lot of great kids is a stepparent who stepped up, stepped in, and gave a sh*t.” – Unknown
- “The last names may not match, but the hearts certainly do.” – Unknown
- “I don’t care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching, they are your family.” – Jim Butcher
- “DNA doesn’t make a family – love does.” – Unknown
- “Don’t worry if you’re not an instant, happily-ever-after blended family. Expect to endure ‘I give up’ days and rejoice in the ‘I can do this,’ days. It will take work, dedication, an excellent sense of humor, and strong resolve. But hey, since when has any family taken the easy route? Don’t do ‘easy’ – do ‘worth it!’ – Jessica James
- “A step-sibling is one giant step in growing in life, together.” – Sally Painter
- “Our family is just the right mix of chaos and love!” – Unknown
- “The love of a blended family never ends.” – Unknown
- “Some families are created in different ways, but are still in every way a family,” – Unknown
- “The secret to blending families is… There is no secret. It’s scary and awesome and ragged and perfect and always changing. Love and laugh hard; try again tomorrow.” – Mir Kamin
- “To us, family means putting your arms around each other and being there.” – Barbara Bush
- “The recipe for a unified family: 3 cups love, 1 cup empathy, 1/4 cup patience, and 1 tablespoon teamwork.” – Unknown
Sometimes we have to start over. Relationships don’t work out. And we’re faced with the idea of building something new, with someone new.
Adding children to the mix can feel daunting. But blending families, despite the many challenges, is a chance for happiness. And that’s something we all deserve.
For more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 35 Motivational David Goggins Quotes to Inspire Hard Work
- 55 Confucius Quotes That Help You Succeed in Life Today
- 99 Paulo Coelho Quotes to Inspire, Uplift, and Make You Think
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.