35 Quotes About Being Different and Unique in Life
There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Do you often get comments about how different you are?
Perhaps you always feel like everyone’s watching you because the way you act and think are unique?
In this post, we have gathered the most sincere and genuine quotes about being different and unique in life. These words are from people who were once considered to be “different” as well, but ended up being successes because of their “difference.”
Before we get to our list, let us share with you the advantages of reading quotes about being different, and how they can help you in your journey to success.
What You Will Learn
What Are the Benefits of Reading Quotes About Being Different?
Reading quotes about being unique and different can help you accept who you truly are. You will gradually learn to appreciate how valuable your skills can be, and discover what you are meant to become. Self-acceptance is the first step toward being genuinely happy.
In addition, reading these kinds of quotes push you to your limits and help you conquer your fears. When you allow yourself to be different, you give yourself permission to explore new things and get out of your comfort zone. You turn your dreams into reality, and you let yourself discover endless possibilities.
When this happens, you start to develop more self-confidence and self-esteem. You become more aware of how your uniqueness can contribute to the world and the environment you are living in. Moreover, you develop a sense of belongingness and start building stronger and healthier relationships.
Being different can actually be advantageous if you learn to embrace it—not to mention the fact that it will spice up your life. It highlights your originality and authenticity, and makes you stand out in a world full of conformity.
Whenever you feel like you’re not good enough because you are different, remember to come back to these quotes for a dose of positivity. Let them guide you in your journey towards a unique victory!
35 Quotes About Being Different and Unique in Life
- “Stop apologizing! It’s ok if your ideas are different, your goals are big – don’t be afraid of what others would say. You are skilled, capable, and talented – you deserve to be a leader, and you are enough. Leaning in can be uncomfortable, so don’t be afraid to own your seat, lean back, and kick your feet up.” – Joy Fitzgerald
- “I find that the very things that I get criticized for, which is usually being different and just doing my own thing and just being original, is the very thing that’s making me successful.” – Shania Twain
- “Sometimes, being different feels a lot like being alone. But with that being said, being true to that and being true to my standards and my way of doing things in my art and my music, everything that has made me feel very different…in the end, it has made me the happiest.” – Lindsey Stirling
- “Normal is not something to aspire to, it’s something to get away from.” – Jodie Foster
- “In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.” – Coco Chanel
- “Fitting in allows you to blend in with everyone else, but being different allows you to be yourself, to be unique, and to be more creative.” – Sonya Parker
- “The person who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The person who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever seen before.” – Albert Einstein
- “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” – Robert Frost.
- “I want to say when I was little, like Maleficent, I was told I was different. And I felt out of place and too loud, too full of fire, never good at sitting still, never good at fitting in. And then one day I realized something – something I hope you all realize. Different is good. When someone tells you that you are different, smile, and hold your head up and be proud.” – Angelina Jolie
- “If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears however measured or far away.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “Whatever you do, be different – that was the advice my mother gave me, and I can’t think of better advice for an entrepreneur. If you’re different, you will stand out.” – Anita Roddick
- “Take care not to listen to anyone who tells you what you can and can’t be in life.” – Meg Medina
- “You are a marvel. You are unique. In all the years that have passed, there has never been another child like you. Your legs, your arms, your clever fingers, the way you move. You may become a Shakespeare, a Michelangelo, a Beethoven. You have the capacity for anything.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “Ordinary people are products of their environment and fit in. Artists transcend their environment and stand out.” – Oliver Gaspirtz
- “Better to embrace the discomfort of being different than the comfort of fitting in.” – Ogwo David Emenike
- “I thought not fitting in was something I had to fix. Now I see it as my superpower.” – Maxime Lagacé
- “Always refuse to be like the others! The more you become similar to the others the more you will be useless because there are already plenty of the others!” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
- “Creative people have it hard. There is always something trapped in their noggins yearning to escape like a caged animal, both too free and wild to contain. Little does the world know it will often scrape the inner walls of the mind until it gets what it wants.” – H.S. Crow
- “Being different and thinking differently make a person unforgettable. History does not remember the forgettable. It honors the unique minority the majority cannot forget.” – Suzy Kassem
- “A person who is truly cool is a work of art. And remember the original works of art cost exponentially higher than imitations. Just take a look at the coolest people in history. They will always be a part of history for being extremely original individuals, not imitations.” – Suzy Kassem
- “Do not be afraid to color outside the lines. Take risks and do not be afraid to fail. Know that when the world knocks you down, the best revenge is to get up and continue forging ahead. Do not be afraid to be different or to stand up for what’s right. Never quiet your voice to make someone else feel comfortable. No one remembers the person that fits in. It’s the one who stands out that people will not be able to forget.” – Nancy Arroyo Ruffi
- “I think every person has their own identity and beauty. Everyone being different is what is really beautiful. If we were all the same, it would be boring.” – Tila Tequila
- “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.” – Maya Angelou
- “By being yourself you put something wonderful in the world that was not there before.” – Edwin Elliott
- “I’ve come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that’s as unique as a fingerprint – and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “To be nobody but yourself in a world doing its best to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human can ever fight and never stop fighting.” – E. E. Cummings
- “You can make life very simple or very complicated. Some people try to be what others want them to be. Others try to be different just to stand out. In both cases, they are changing themselves to impress others. Neither of these paths has a heart. Just be true to yourself. It’s that simple.” – Mike Stutman
- “Life’s no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe’s my own to fool with.” – Haruki Murakami
- “We must never be afraid to be a sign of contradiction for the world.” – Mother Teresa
- “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” – Dr. Seuss
- “It’s really important to share the idea that being different might feel like a problem at the time, but ultimately diversity is a strength?” – Carson Kressley
- “There would be no need for love if perfection were possible. Love arises from our imperfection, from our being different and always in need of the forgiveness, encouragement, and that missing half of ourselves that we are searching for, as the Greek myth tells us, in order to complete ourselves.” – Eugene Kennedy
- “At the bottom, every man knows well enough that he is a unique being, only once on this earth; and by no extraordinary chance will such a marvelously picturesque piece of diversity in unity as he is, ever be put together a second time.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” – Cecil Beaton
- “My advice to anyone being picked on for being different or for working towards a dream is to remember it’s never personal. These people don’t actually dislike you at heart. They’re just going through difficult things in their own personal lives.” – Cassadee Pope
Final Words on Being Different and Unique in Life
It is totally okay to be different. You shouldn’t be the same as everybody else, because if you were, then you’d deprive yourself of the chance to be who you really are. When you don’t get to be your true self, you sacrifice your dreams and happiness.
You are an amazing, unique person, and are destined to stand out from the crowd. You may see your uniqueness as something unimportant, but to others it is probably a valuable asset they wish they had. You are exception precisely because you are different!