There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Becoming a Mom is both incredible and terrifying in equal measures.
It brings a whirlwind of emotions. Feelings of joy and unimaginable pride, as your child takes those first steps. And in the blink of an eye, graduates from university.
But it also brings fear and utter hopelessness. Long nights, spent pacing the floor due to teething and tummy bugs, will leave any Mom feeling powerless. And the guilt of being unable to wipe away the tears during those teenage heartbreaks cuts deep.
Being a Mom takes strength you didn’t even know you had. And these strong Mom quotes honor every tough decision you've had to make. Every sacrifice, you've chosen to give. And every moment, you’ve dedicated to being that strong Mom your child needed.
Motherhood is that rollercoaster you weren’t prepared for, with the ups and downs, the ins and outs. And more heart-in-mouth moments than you thought humanly possible.
Your child will love you unconditionally. And then scream ‘I hate you!’ at the top of their lungs. They won’t understand the need for rules. Or the consequences for not following them. And will resent you for always needing to know where they are and who they’re with.
You’ll probably be accused of being on a power trip. Of being a control freak.
And it would be undoubtedly easier to just give up and let them do their own thing. But you don’t. Instead, you continue to guide them. And show them right from wrong.
Because you are the beacon in their life. The shoulder to cry on. The fight in their corner, no matter how hard it is.
And, sometimes, being a Mom really is hard.
Nobody warns you (or, rather, finds a way to make you listen) about how challenging parenthood is. About how your free time is forever spent sewing on buttons. Or rearranging the front of the fridge to make space for the latest scribbled artwork.
And how years from now, when your children grow up and have families of their own, you’ll continue to be their strength. Their go-to when things are falling apart. And their wisdom, as they finally understand that being a powerful parent isn’t about control, or taking over.
It’s about being present. And helping your child grow as a person.
So let’s celebrate that with these 57 strong mom quotes.
- “The very fact that you worry about being a good mother means that you already are one.” – Jodi Picoult
- “Having a strong mom is like having a best friend that can carry you when your legs are too tired to walk.” – Unknown
- “A mom is the glue that holds everything together, even when she feels she may fall apart.” – Proudhappymama
- “A strong mom is one who always encourages her children, even if she feels discouraged herself. She’s the kind of mother every child deserves!” – Unknown
- “Strong mothers raise strong daughters.” – Jessica A. Lane
- “Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.” – Barbara Kingsolver
- “I’m thankful for my struggles because without them, I wouldn’t know my strengths.” – Proudhappymama
- “Motherhood is a choice you make every day, to put someone else’s happiness and well-being ahead of your own, to teach the hard lessons, to do the right thing even when you’re not sure what the right thing is…and to forgive yourself, over and over again, for doing everything wrong.” – Unknown
- “I was raised by a strong mom and it shows.” – Unknown
- “Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” – Marion C. Garretty
- “Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. And may we raise them.” – Unknown
- “As a mama you may see me struggle, but you will never see me quit.” – Unknown
- “‘To be a mother you must be strong. Even if you don’t feel it, you have to pretend.” – Sade Adu
- “No influence is so powerful as that of the mother.” – Sarah Josepha Hale
- “Don’t pity me because I am a single mom. Respect me for having the courage to do it alone, the strength to never give up, and the love to put my child’s needs before my own.” – Unknown
- “Stay strong mama. Don’t let the world make you bitter. You are beautiful.” – Unknown
- “Love as powerful as your mother’s leaves its own mark…To have been loved so deeply… Will give us some protection forever.” – J.K. Rowling
- “The fastest way to break the cycle of perfectionism and become a fearless mother is to give up the idea of doing it perfectly – indeed to embrace uncertainty and imperfection.” – Arianna Huffington
- “Even if the whole world was throwing rocks at you, if you had your mother at your back, you’d be okay.” – Jojo Moyes
- “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” – Robert Browning
- “If you’re a single mother, never give up. Your child is watching how you handle your challenges and that will help him or her determine how they want to live their life too.” – Unknown
- “The strength of a mother is second to none. Even when she is in times of stress, when she is fighting her own demons, when she is beyond exhausted both mentally and physically nothing will stop her from finding the strength she needs to do for her children what she needs to get done.” – Unknown
- “Most people’s mothers are the most influential person in their life. But my mother survived the camps, and she was very strong. She made me strong, but she wanted me to be strong. That’s more important.” – Diane von Furstenberg
- “You’ll never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have.” – Unknown
- “Single moms: You are a doctor, a teacher, a nurse, a maid, a cook, a referee, a heroine, a provider, a defender, a protector, a true superwoman. Wear your cape proudly.” – Mandy Hale
- “Mother – that was the bank where we deposited all our hurts and worries.” – T. DeWitt Talmage
- “Birth is the epicenter of women’s power.” – Ani DeFranco
- “To the world you are a mother, but to your family you are the world.” – Unknown
- “As a single mum you’ll discover inner strengths and capabilities you never knew you had.” – Unknown
- “Being a strong mother is not about how you treat your kids when they’re behaving the best, but rather how you cheer them up and help them in their darkest times.” – Unknown
Being a strong mother is not about how you treat your kids when they’re behaving the best, but rather how you cheer them up and help them in their darkest times.” – Unknown
- “It’s ok to have strengths and weaknesses as a mama. Some mamas play games, others listen well, some cook with love, and others are great encouragers. We don’t have to be everything, every day to our kids. We just need to show up and love them hard.” – Unknown
- “A mother’s love will push you to the edge of the ocean while holding you above it. Her fearless strength keeps the wind in your sails.” – Henrik Ibsen
- “My mother was the one constant in my life. When I think about my mom raising me alone when she was 20, and working and paying the bills, and, you know, trying to pursue your own dreams, I think is a feat that is unmatched.” – President Barack Obama
- “As a mama, you may see me struggle, but you will never see me quit.” – Unknown
- “For a mother is the only person on earth who can divide her love among ten children and each child still have all her love.” – Unknown
- “It takes a lot to be a mom. It takes strength to show up each and every day, even when you don’t think you can. It takes patience to teach your children all the things they need to know. It takes empathy to feel their pain when they don’t have the words. It takes forgiveness to forgive yourself every time you get it wrong. And most of all it takes unconditional love because no one will love your child like you do.” – Unknown
- “Women have always been the strong ones of the world.” – Coco Chanel
- “Life doesn’t come with a manual, it comes with a mother.” – Unknown
- “A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us when adversity takes the place of prosperity when friends desert us when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.” – Washington Irving
- “It takes courage to be gentle and kind when everyone expects boldness and anger.” – Maya Angelou
- “Successful mothers are not the ones who never struggled, they are the ones that never gave up despite their struggles.” – Unknown
- “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “You do the best you can, even when you think you can’t and that dear mama is not failing. You are amazing.” – Unknown
- “Some days I don’t know how I do it. I am so exhausted…But I am a mom so I will always show up and stay strong for my children.” – Unknown
- “Motherhood is hard. I try my best, but some days I struggle to be the mama I want to be. I get exhausted. I make mistakes. I lose my cool. And some days I struggle to find myself. But, regardless how hard it gets, each day I still show up. And in the end, no one could ever love my child the way I do” – Unknown
- “A strong mother is someone who sees all that’s possible in a world of impossible things, while still believing she can make it better for everyone – including herself.” – Unknown
- “Motherhood is the biggest gamble in the world. It is the glorious life force. It’s huge and scary – it’s an act of infinite optimism.” – Unknown
- ”Being a mother has been the most challenging and the most rewarding position I will ever hold.” – Cathy Shaffer
- “Never undermine yourself because you are ‘just’ a house mom.” – Tracey Taylor
- “Behind every young child who believes in himself is a parent who believed first.”- Matthew L. Jacobson
- “You can be a mess and still a good mom. We are allowed to be both.” – Unknown
- “Being strong doesn’t mean that you don’t have bad days, it just means you have what it takes to make it through to the good days.” – Unknown
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colours of a rainbow.” – Maya Angelou
- “My mom is a strong-willed lady. She taught me to believe in myself, no matter what anybody else said.” – Tracy Edmonds.
- “Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.” – Barbara Kingsolver
- “Your most valuable parenting skill is learning to manage yourself first.” – Dr. Laura Markham
- “Hey mama, has anyone told you that you’re doing an awesome job?” – Unknown
Becoming a Mom is a journey that’s filled with happiness and hope. It takes incredible strength that in turn builds character. And fills hearts with compassion.
There will always be moments of self-doubt. Times when you question your own judgment. And worry that you’re screwing it up.
But so long as you turn up and do your best, your child will grow up knowing how incredible you are. How loved they are. And how precious the bond you share is.
If you’re looking for more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 99 Daily Mantras to Live By for Happiness & Life Satisfaction
- 121 Smile Quotes to Make Your Day a Little Happier
- 65 Words of Encouragement for Teenagers to Inspire Their Success
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.