List of 201 Compliments to Say to a Friend, Coworker, or Loved One
Saying nice things to others is a great way to inspire them and make them believe that whatever they're doing is making a difference.
For example, when you are dining out with your family, you often get a feedback form at the end. The restaurant wants to know about your experience. When you praise them or encourage them for their services, it encourages them to continue providing exceptional service to their customers.
Have you ever observed how your mother, father, or teacher feels when you wish them a happy Mother's Day, Father's Day, or Teacher's Day? You consciously shower them with praise and appreciation for what they have done for you, and your encouraging words tell them that they are special to you
Now, imagine the impact of those magical words on your parents and teachers if you repeat them on a regular basis. If you let them know how much you appreciate them on a weekly or daily basis, you will actively make them happier. They will know that acknowledge and value the work they do to ensure that you have a happy future.
Now imagine yourself in the role of a spouse. Imagine you have made all the necessary arrangements for your partner's birthday. You have made the reservations at their favorite restaurant and bought them a special gift. At the end of the night, would you want your spouse to thank you for the beautiful evening that you created for them? And how will you feel if they don't have nice things to say about your efforts?
In the first scenario, where you are appreciated for creating a magical night for your spouse, you will likely feel happy and motivated to create an even more magical evening for your spouse on your anniversary, or for their next birthday. However, if you receive no appreciation, you might not look forward to planning the next event or birthday.
Every person deserves to be appreciated for the things that they have done, and to be told that they are valued. Compliments are little gifts of love that helps others know you appreciate and value them, even if they haven’t done anything to earn it!
However, you have to be careful when giving out compliments, as there is a fine line between sincere compliments and flattery. While it is good to give sincere compliments to people you love and care about, there is absolutely no use in indulging in flattery and giving out false praise. Flattery makes the speaker dishonest, and also creates doubts regarding their motives.
Genuine compliments are a good way of increasing a person’s confidence. Positive words also help reduce people’s stress. In our fast-paced lives, where we are often in a race to reach the top, it is very important to feel good about ourselves. So it is good to surround ourselves with people who support us, and also to do our part to support those we come into contact with, by complimenting them and giving them words of encouragement.
In this article, we'll take a look at some compliments that you can give to your spouse, subordinates, friends, and children. Your little efforts will go a long way in making them happy. Also, since you've been truthful about your feelings for them, they will likely reciprocate those feelings, and possibly compliment and thank you for the things you do for them.
Side bar: Complimenting others can transport you to a happier state of mind. If you are interested in learning additional ways to be happy, we recommend you to read this book, which has 53 habits you can use to increase your happiness and life satisfaction.
Compliments for a Spouse
A successful marriage is not judged by the house the couple is living in or the material things that they own. It is judged by the compatibility of the couple, the kind things they say to each other, and the love that they share.
Have you ever seen couples talking about "missing the spark"? We often conveniently justify this by saying that things start to get settled after the "honeymoon period," but there’s no reason you can’t keep the spark in your relationship alive for the long term.
Do you remember how you used to treat your partner when the two of you were dating? You were likely thoughtful and considerate, and didn't take your relationship for granted. You complimented your partner on their looks, the things they did, and anything else you could think of. You used to make an effort to make them feel good about themselves.
You don't have to stop doing that after your I Dos. In fact, you shouldn’t stop! Probably the only reason you did was out of laziness and complacency. But the relationship that you share with your spouse can remain strong for years to come if you decide to actively work on it. You will be surprised to see the positive effect that complimenting your spouse can have on your marriage.
Obviously, you can compliment your spouse or partner in any way you want, and giving it a personal touch will likely be appreciated. But here is a list of compliments to get you started. We believe these will bring a smile to your spouse's face, and help sustain the spark in your relationship.
- I'm glad you're my friend.
- I love spending time with you.
- You are my lifeline.
- You are my person.
- You are a great parent to our kid(s).
- I appreciate you.
- You complete me.
- You are my soul mate.
- I'm so glad I married you.
- You look beautiful.
- You are the most amazing person in this world.
- You make me feel loved.
- I love how you patiently listen to me.
- I respect you so much.
- I want to spend my entire with you.
- I say a little prayer for you.
- You're an excellent partner.
- Thanks for being with me.
- I have got your back.
- I feel safe with you.
- I can't live a day without you.
- You're so thoughtful.
- I am so happy that I found you.
- I am blessed to have married my friend.
- You make my heart beat like a drum.
- I am not afraid of anything because I have you.
- I'm all yours.
- Thank you for being with me.
- You're the only person I can count on.
- Being your spouse is an honor.
- Thank you for taking care of me.
- You did a good job with the garage.
- I appreciate what you do for our family.
- I want to grow old with you.
- You're my rock.
- There's no one like you.
- You are a thoughtful person.
- You're amazing, and I can't say that enough.
- I love being by your side.
- I love the way you look at me.
- I thank you for everything you do around your house.
- Our children are lucky to have you as a parent. You're great.
- You've helped me become a better person.
- I'll love you forever.
- You are my guiding light.
- You're everything that I asked for.
- I am amazed at how well you balance work and home life.
- I love the way you appreciate the little things.
- I can't thank you enough for understanding me.
- I am so glad that you chose to be in my life.
- I can't complete my life journey without you.
- I am so proud of your achievements.
- I am here just because of you.
- I owe you for my achievements and success.
- You are my supporter.
- You make me feel valued and respected in our home.
- I am not afraid of life’s ups and downs if I have you beside me.
- I know I can face anything, because I have you.
- You make me laugh.
- You are the reason I can face my fears.
Always remember that your marriage requires sincere work and attention. In our busy lives, we often forget to thank the people who hold important positions in our lives, and who are always rooting for us. These compliments are not hard to give. They are simple sentences that you may have "thought about" saying to your spouse, but never actually verbalized.
Compliments for your partner shouldn't be limited to the typed text on the inside of a greeting card. It should be something you say from the heart. From now on, always make a point of appreciating your spouse for everything that they have done for you, and say it out loud!
Compliments for a Friend or Coworker
"I'll be there for you." This is the official anthem of friends. We promise them we will have their backs when things got shaky. We are the first people our friends turn to when they are feeling sad, and the first people they call with their big news. We plan our vacations with them, include them in our families by nominating them as godparents for our children, and love them to the core.
But sometimes we forget to compliment them and thank them for the things that they have done for us. Our friends deserve to know that they are appreciated, so let's have a look at this list of compliments you can give to your friend.
- You are the best friend one could ask for.
- I appreciate our friendship.
- I thank the stars for bringing us closer.
- I am so glad we met.
- You bring out the best in me.
- You are always there for me.
- You see me.
- You understand me for who I am.
- I am so proud to have such a caring friend.
- You never left me when I was at my worst.
- Thanks for being my friend.
- You are an important part of my life.
- I love you so much.
- You're my support system.
- You're my light during dark times.
- You are an excellent friend.
- I love exploring new places with you.
- I love being with you.
- I can trust you with all my secrets.
- I am lucky to have you as my friend.
- You know how to make people comfortable.
- You always send out loving vibes.
- You are a positive person.
- You are always ready to help people.
- There can't be another you. You are perfect!
- I am so glad that we're friends.
- Would you like to be my child's godmother/godfather?
- I value your opinion.
- Thanks for dealing with my mood swings.
- You have made me a braver person.
Compliments for Your Employees
Just like your friends and partner, your employees or subordinates also need to be appreciated for everything they do, and the effort they put into their work. Here is a list of compliments that you can give to them.
- Fantastic work!
- You are an indispensable part of the team.
- You are a reliable employee, and we're excited to have you here.
- You are really good at what you do.
- You are a dedicated employee.
- We really enjoyed your contribution during the presentation.
- We love your “Can Do” attitude.
- Keep up the great work.
- You're an awesome worker.
- We trust you.
- You amaze us with your hard work.
- It's surprising how well you perform, even under pressure.
- You're a great example for your co-workers.
- Things have been crazy at work, but you took care of business with no complaints. Bravo!
- Your work ethic speaks for itself.
- You bring a lot of positivity to your work.
- We appreciate your valuable advice.
- Your work never ceases to amaze us.
- You always exceed our expectations.
- You have a great future in our company.
- We don't want to lose you.
- Your work is unparalleled.
- You are running this office.
- Your hard work speaks for itself.
- You are a dedicated employee.
- We can't let you leave us.
- We need your insights and valuable advice.
- You are the backbone of our company.
- You have good leadership skills.
- You never shy away from responsibility, and we love that about you.
- We're proud that we have someone like you who takes the initiative.
- We're enjoying working with you.
- You always come up with interesting ideas.
Compliments for Parents
Our parents spend the better parts of their lives supporting us and lifting us up. It’s probably about time we return the favor! Here is the list of compliments that every person should say to their parents.
- You are so hardworking and caring, and I have always looked up to you.
- I can’t imagine life without you.
- I am so lucky to have you as my parents.
- You taught me how to be a better person.
- I am nothing without you.
- Thank you for teaching me valuable lessons.
- I am so proud to have a parent who focused on the independence of their child.
- Thank you for letting me explore the world.
- If I am a confident, bold, and independent person today, it is all because of you.
- You are the backbone of the house.
- You have no match in this world.
- Thank you for teaching me how to become a good person.
- Your heart is full of love.
- How can a person be as selfless as you are?!
- Our family is complete because of you.
- Thank you for sacrificing so much for me.
- I love you to the moon and back.
- You are the reason I smile every day.
- You are a blessing.
- Thank you for being understanding parents.
- You're the most positive person I know.
- You're my hero.
- You're the most caring person on the planet.
- You're the best.
- There's no one like you.
- You're incredible.
- I want to be just like you.
- Thanks for checking up on me.
- You have the biggest heart.
- You're my best friend.
- I'll always cherish your valuable advice.
- You are the strongest person I know.
- You are so brave.
- You love me at my worst.
- You're so kind.
- You deserve credit for everything I have accomplished.
Compliments for a Child
Children are sensitive by nature, and need regular doses of encouragement. Appreciation and validation make them feel better about themselves and help them develop confidence and motivation.
Kids love when their parents shower them with praise and compliments. These magical words inspire them to do better. Children who are praised frequently are more motivated than those who don't hear encouraging words from their parents.
When children are at school, they look up to their teachers. For them, their teachers’ opinions matter the most, and they turn to them for. When a teacher tells a child that they are happy with their performance, the child gets motivated, and resolves to put forth extra effort and perform exceptionally well.
Even simple, encouraging words like "You did a good job on your homework" can go a long way in making a child more confident. Parents, guardians, and teachers need to create healthy environments for children where they are praised for the little things that they do.
Every child is unique and has a different pace. A child who is good at math can get an A with minimal effort, but a child who struggles with numbers has to put in a lot of effort to prepare for a test. While they may not have gotten an A, if they manage to pass the test, it is a testament to their motivation and hard work. Children should be encouraged and praised for the little steps that they take toward their larger goals.
Best Compliments for Your Child
This may not be a comprehensive list of compliments, but these positive and encouraging words can make your children feel better about themselves and motivate them to try their best.
- You are so generous for sharing with your friend.
- You're so hardworking.
- You're a brave kid who faces challenges confidently.
- You're an independent kid.
- I am so proud of your generous heart.
- I am so proud that you did this by yourself.
- You are so talented, and you love to learn.
- Good job on your homework.
- You put a lot of effort into that project. Well done!
- You're considerate about the house's expenses. Thank you!
- I am so proud of your ability to listen to people's feedback and do better.
- You're a calm and composed kid.
- I saw you trying to get on the scary ride. You are so courageous.
- You nursed the kitten on your own. You have a kind heart.
- You are doing so well in your studies. Stay focused!
- You have always surprised me with your mature thinking.
- You're a great friend.
- You're a well-behaved child.
- You amaze me with the effort you put into your work.
- You do your work by yourself. Bravo!
- You don't rely on your elder siblings for small things. Way to go!
- Thank you for making your point in a sensible manner.
- I learn a lot of new things from you.
- You're a rock star.
- You're the sunshine of our house.
- You're a great listener.
- We appreciate you just the way you are.
- You are a blessing from above.
- I am so proud of your sympathetic heart.
- I am glad that you make an effort to make people around you smile.
- You are so humble.
- I am so proud that you always stand your ground.
- You are a well-mannered kid.
- I am amazed by your politeness.
- You're a great example to others.
- You're a smart student who tries really hard!
- You're beautiful both inside and out.
- You have a heart of gold.
- You are making a difference.
- You are so brave for trying.
- You are so strong.
- Don’t worry that you made a mistake. It’s good to see that you are trying.
Final Thoughts on This List of Compliments
Compliments are magical little words that go a long way in bringing about positive change in a person. When you take the time to say nice things to others, you will spread joy to them and create happiness within yourself.
If you are interested in learning additional ways to be happy, we recommend you to read this book, which has 53 habits you can use to increase your happiness and life satisfaction.