There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
We are born instinctively knowing how and when to breathe. It’s not something we learn, but rather a natural reflex that kicks in at the right moment.
Some babies may need a helping hand to get started. But for most, that first breath is taken without hesitation. And usually followed by a welcomed high-pitched scream as they enter the world.
So why is it, that as adults, we almost forget how to breathe properly? Why, when in difficult situations, does someone have to come along and recite the words ‘Take a deep breath’? And we have to make a conscious effort to do so.
Being able to regulate our breathing; to override the shortness and find the calm, is invaluable. And these breathe quotes show exactly why.
Life can feel very overwhelming. We’re often under huge amounts of pressure to meet the constant flurry of demands. And the dent left on our well-being is enormous.
Taking time out feels impossible. And, we find ourselves slowly sinking.
More deadlines, more late finishes, more bills, more appointments, more arguments, more sleepless nights…
It’s a lot to wake up to every morning. But there are ways to limit the impact it has on both your mental and physical health. And it starts with learning to breathe.
That probably sounds crazy. You breathe in and out every few seconds. It happens naturally, without a second thought.
But breathing with intention is different. You are in control. And by overriding your autopilot mode, you can rediscover the connection between your body and mind.
To practice intentional breathing:
Taking a few moments to breathe can be an incredibly powerful way to find your center in a difficult situation. It can help you to focus. And shift your mindset from chaos to calm, as you regain control of your ‘fight or flight’ response.
Your body is amazing. So make sure to utilize it’s abilities to the fullest.
Now, let’s explore some inspirational breathe quotes that can help you to find your center and reconnect with yourself.
- “ Just breathe.” – Unknown
- “When people ask me what the most important thing is in life, I answer: ‘Just breathe.” – Yoko Ono
- “Breath is the bridge which connects life to consciousness, which unites your body to your thoughts.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Breathe deeply, until sweet air extinguishes the burn of fear in your lungs and every breath is a beautiful refusal to become anything less than infinite.” – D. Antoinette Foy
- “In a quiet place, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and go inward. Place your attention on your heart, in the center of your chest. Sit quietly and easily let your attention remain there.” – Deepak Chopra
In a quiet place, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and go inward. Place your attention on your heart, in the center of your chest. Sit quietly and easily let your attention remain there.” – Deepak Chopra
- “When you own your breath, nobody can steal your peace.” – Unknown
- “Your breath is your best friend.” – Professor Ramchandra Gandhi
- “Breathing, according to me, corresponds to taking charge of one’s own life.” – Luce Irigaray
- “Remember to breathe. It is, after all, the secret of life.” – Gregory Maguire
- “Keep breathing. Just keep doing it. It’s easy. In and out.” – Jenny Downham
- “Take a deep breath. Inhale peace. Exhale happiness.” – A.D. Posey
- “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “While we breathe, we will hope.” – Barack Obama
- “What has to be taught first, is the breath.” – Confucius
- “Conscious breathing is the best antidote to stress, anxiety, and depression.” – Amit Ray
- “Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky, conscious breathing is my anchor.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “The quality of your life is measured by the number of deep breaths you take. Make each breath count.” – Richie Norton
- “Inhale the future, exhale the past.” – Unknown
- “Bliss begins with the breath. We breathe in and accept all that is new. We breathe out, and release all that has passed.” – Sara Wiseman
- “As you breathe in, cherish yourself. As you breathe out, cherish all Beings.” – Dalai Lama
- “If you really want ‘wellness’, you need to go back to basics & make sure the foundation of your health-your breathing-is good.” – Belisa Vranich
If you really want ‘wellness’, you need to go back to basics & make sure the foundation of your health-your breathing-is good.” – Belisa Vranich
- “I love being in the woods when I can just walk barefoot in the grass and just sit down and breathe. I love that so much.” – Jessie Reyez
- “When the breath is unsteady, all is unsteady; when the breath is still; all is still. Control the breath carefully. Inhalation gives strength and a controlled body; retention gives steadiness of mind and longevity; exhalation purifies body and spirit.” – Goraksasatakam
- “I take a few moments in the morning just to breathe while I drink my morning coffee or right before I get out of bed.” – Ayesha Curry
- “You don’t always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go and see what happens.” – Mandy Hale
- “Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.” – Etty Hillesum
- “When the breath wanders the mind is unsteady, but when the breath is calmed, the mind too will be still.” – Hatha Yoga Pradipika
- “I meditate. I breathe out what I can’t control and focus on the positives.” – Deepika Padukone
- “The wisest one-word sentence? Breathe.” – Terri Guillemets
- “Breathing control gives man strength, vitality, inspiration, and magic powers.” – Zhuangzi
- “Think about every good thing in your life right now. Free yourself of worrying. Let go of the anxiety, breathe. Stay positive, all is well.” – Germany Kent
- “Take a deep breath and focus on what’s really important.” – Wayne Dyer
- “Do something nice for yourself today. Find some quiet, sit in stillness, breathe. Put your problems on pause. You deserve a break.” – Akiroq Brost
- “Whatever is going to happen in life will happen. Just be thankful to be alive – to be breathing.” – Johnny Lung
- “Pause, breathe. Repair the universe, then proceed.” – Unknown
- “Think for yourself. Ignore the noises around you that polarize and try to promote fear and division. You know better. Be better. Breathe.” – Gregory S. Williams
- “Take a deep breath, listen to your favorite song and realize everything is gonna be okay, nothing is permanent.” – Camila Cabello
Take a deep breath, listen to your favorite song and realize everything is gonna be okay, nothing is permanent.” – Camila Cabello
- “Take a deep breath, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.” – Frank Sinatra
- “Now breathe, and step out again, a step further from the past. Step into the streets as narrow as bones, the white streets of the labyrinth, and breathe deeply. Breathe, and step out once more.” – Kevin Barry
- “Breathe in deeply to bring your mind home to your body.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Breathe quietly and let it be. Let your body relax and your heart soften.” – Jack Kornfield
- “Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment.” – M. J. Ryan
- “Breathe, it’s just a bad day, not a bad life.” – Unknown
- “I learned that when life pulls you under, you can kick against the bottom, break the surface, and breathe again.” – Sheryl Sandberg
- “Some things are out of your control, but not your breath.” – R.S. Grey
- “Sometimes you just have to stop, take a deep breath, and put things into perspective.” – Katrina Mayer
- “Take a deep breath. Get present in the moment and ask yourself what is important this very second.” – Greg McKeown
- “Breathe. This too will pass.” – Edward FitzGerald
- “The ability to breathe is a gift. Wake up grateful each day for that gift.” – Brant Reader
- “I will breathe. I will think of solutions. I will not let my worry control me. I will not let my stress level break me. I will simply breathe. And it will be okay. Because I won’t quit.” – Shayne McClendon
- “Are you a stingy breather? Well, don’t be. Be extravagant with you breathing and come fully alive.” – Ron Fletcher
Final Thoughts on Breathe Quotes
You’ve been breathing for years, without a second thought. Your body instinctively knows when to breathe in. And when to breathe out. It’s done a pretty good job.
But giving it a gentle nudge towards a deeper, more intentional exercise, can be the difference between chaos and calm. It can help you to find your center and feel in control of any given situation.
For more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 45 Mental Abuse Quotes to Deal with Your Emotional Trauma
- 97 Short Quotes & Sayings to Inspire Your Life
- 63 Best Brené Brown Quotes on Vulnerability & Daring Greatly
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.