There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
If you’re feeling, or have ever felt abandoned, these words are for you. Because whilst the pain is an unavoidable journey, you don’t have to face it alone.
You don’t have to pretend it’s OK. Or put on that brave face when, in reality, you’re feeling anything but brave. The emotional and even physical agony has likely sapped what little energy you had left, leaving behind an uncomfortable numbness.
As humans, we naturally crave affection from our loved ones. But when we lose that feeling, it sows a gut-wrenching seed of abandonment. As the bitter roots take hold, so do the thoughts of why. Why did they leave? Why did they give up on me?
In this article, we’ll look through 51 abandonment issue quotes to help you understand the loss you’ve suffered. And, of course, embrace the path you’re taking to a happier you.
What You Will Learn
Whilst instinctively, many people connect abandonment issues to an unloved child, there are moments in life that can leave us all feeling stranded.
This could be the end of a relationship with only a trail of unanswered questions left behind. Perhaps the death of a much-loved family member, resulting in a gaping hole in our hearts.
Or the irreconcilable breakdown of a friendship that had, for so long, been a significant part of our lives.
The loss can and often does impact heavily on our day to day routines. Moments that were once filled with laughter as now unresolved pleas. And the need for closure becomes all-consuming, even though rationally, we know it's pointless.
The challenge of moving on without finding an emotional resolution is often more torturous than the abandonment itself. We naturally look to make sense of a situation, to have an authentic narrative to end our chapter. And without this, the book remains open.
Acceptance is your new friend. Accept that it happened, that you can’t change it. And that it’s time to move on.
If you're still holding on to the anguish and rage; the bitterness and heartache, take a deep breath and let go of all the negativity. You are in charge of your thoughts, your emotions and your road to happiness. So let’s start your journey with these inspiring abandonment issues quotes.
Now, before we get to the quotes, if you’re looking for some simple steps to help get over your abandonment issues, then our 9 Steps to Get Over Abandonment Issues in a Relationship could be really useful. And don’t forget to check out our 15 Signs of Abandonment Issues in Adults.
Alright, let’s review these abandonment quotes…
- “When one is abandoned, one is left alone. This can happen through physical absence as well as physical presence. In fact to be abandoned by someone who is physically present is much more crazymaking. ” – John Bradshaw
- “The person whom you really, really love may not be here anymore. And you might be feeling lonely, but, there are people in this world who really, really love you, so shouldn't that equal it all out? So, please don't ever think that you're alone. I'll be watching over you. I'll always be watching over you. I promise to always watch over you. You're not alone.” – Yuuki Obata, We Were There, Vol. 1
- “When you feel abandoned, don't let painful feelings fester. Tell someone; you have a right to feel better.” – Steve Tsuchiyama
- “The fear of abandonment forced me to comply as a child, but I’m not forced to comply anymore. The key people in my life did reject me for telling the truth about my abuse, but I’m not alone. Even if the consequence for telling the truth is rejection from everyone I know, that’s not the same death threat that it was when I was a child. I’m a self-sufficient adult and abandonment no longer means the end of my life.” – Christina Enevoldsen, The Rescued Soul: The Writing Journey for the Healing of Incest and Family Betrayal
- “Hope never abandons you, you abandon it.” – George Weinberg
- “A generous heart is always open, always ready to receive our going and coming. In the midst of such love we need never fear abandonment.” – Unknown
- “If you leave someone at least tell them why, because what’s more painful than being abandoned; is knowing you’re not worth an explanation.” – Unknown
- “You can show trust by believing in others when other people have abandoned them. Words and actions of encouragement can go a long way in building others up.” – Byron Pulsifer, Major Human Capacities
- “People need to know that they are not alone, that they have not been abandoned; but that there is One Who loves them for what they are, Who cares about them.” – Dada Vaswani
- “Don’t feel sad over someone who gave up on you, feel sorry for them because they gave up on someone who would have never given up on them.” – Unknown
- “Not belonging is a terrible feeling. It feels awkward and it hurts, as if you were wearing someone else’s shoes.” – Unknown
- “Those who discourage you from your dreams have most likely already abandoned their own.” – Unknown
- “People don’t abandon people they love. They abandon people they were using.” – Unknown
- “The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never said and never explained.” – Unknown
- “Abandonment stings, even when it means freedom.” – Maggie Shipstead, Great Circle
- “Fight back, don't submit, don't abandon yourself to despair.” – Louis Sacks, A Layman's Philosophy
- “Because the place you are born isn’t necessarily the place you belong. I was born into a world that abandoned me, stole from me, rejected me; is it so surprising I found a better one?” – Unknown
- “Love often leads to healing, while fear and isolation breed illness. And our biggest fear is abandonment.” – Candace Pert
- “At times in life you have to leave people where they left you.” – Angel Moreira
- “Even where love has run thin the child's soul musters strength… the rush of purpose to make a life worth living past abandonment building the layers up again over the torn hole.” – Adrienne Rich
- “You have not been abandoned. You are never alone, except by your own choice.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
- “We simply can't abandon ship every time we encounter a storm in our marriage. Real love is about weathering the storms of life together.” – Seth Adam Smith
- “Laughing in full abandonment is very good for your health.” – Dalai Lama
- “The sun does not abandon the moon to darkness.” – Brian A. McBride
- “I may fear abandonment, but don’t second guess my ability to cut ties with people in a split second.” – Unknown
- “Hope is the last to abandon the unhappy.” – Italian Proverbs
- “The struggle of my life created empathy – I could relate to pain, being abandoned, having people not love me.” – Oprah Winfrey
The struggle of my life created empathy – I could relate to pain, being abandoned, having people not love me.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “It is always the false that makes you suffer, the false desires and fears, the false values and ideas, the false relationships between people. Abandon the false and you are free of pain; truth makes happy, truth liberates.” – Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
- “The man who leaves you is simply clearing the way for the one you deserve.” – Naide P Obiang
- “You wouldn't abandon ship in a storm just because you couldn't control the winds.” – Thomas More
- “I shall not be defined by what I have suffered but how I have endured them.” – Donna Lynn Hope
- “The sun loved me again when it saw that the stars would not abandon me.” – Jenim Dibie
- “Together we hope to establish a standard of Bravery and Kindness, as well as a community worldwide that protects and nurtures others in the face of bullying and abandonment.” – Lady Gaga
- “Basic human contact – the meeting of eyes, the exchanging of words – is to the psyche what oxygen is to the brain. If you’re feeling abandoned by the world, interact with anyone you can.” – Martha Beck
- “I am the captain of my destiny, I do not abandon the ship in hard times, But, I do have sense enough not to go down with the ship” – Cesare Pavese
- “If someone hurt you, abandoned you, betrayed you… it says nothing about your meaningfulness but everything about their character.” – Krystal
- “Frankenstein can be a metaphor for abandonment, or wanting to be accepted for who you are, or not liking who you are and wanting to actually change that.” – Kevin Grevioux
- “People need to know that they are not alone, that they have not been abandoned; but that there is One Who loves them for what they are, who cares about them.” – Dada Vaswani
- “Every child makes its peace with abandonment. That's called growing up.” – Gregory Maguire, Out of Oz
- “No soul that aspires can ever fail to rise; no heart that loves can ever be abandoned. Difficulties exist only that in overcoming them we may grow strong, and they who have suffered are able to save.” – Annie Besant
- “Anyone who abandons you is for teaching you how to stand up on your own two feet.” – Laura Clegg
- “Remember, at the moment of your deepest anguish, you are not being abandoned. There are concerned fellow humans ready to meet your own reaching out for life – wish regeneration. Do not isolate yourself from help” – Froma Sand, The Life Wish
- “Never abandon your dreams just because someone living their nightmare told you so.” – Unknown
- “The road to positivity is strewn with the abandoned vehicles of the faint-hearted..” – Peter McWilliams
- “Chasing unavailable people is self abandonment.” – Sheleana Aiyana
- “If we hold a space for our partners to express themselves without the fear of abandonment, we’ve taken a HUGE step towards cultivating Love in our relationships.” – Unknown
- “My healing isn’t a choice to abandon others, it’s a choice to no longer abandon myself.” – Elezabeth Symond
- “I've overcome neglect and deprivation, abandonment and abuse.” – Tatum O'Neal
- “A family ship will never sink until it is abandoned by its crew.” – Wes Fesler
- “If love is universal, no one can be left out..” – Deepak Chopra
- “Sometimes you must embrace the feeling of being abandoned, until your deepest self warms to the thought of you being its closest companion.” – Curtis Tyrone Jones
Final Thoughts on Facing Your Abandonment Issues
Feelings of abandonment can be triggered by a multitude of situations. And whilst some are easier to make sense of than others, try to focus your energy on making peace with your past.
Start the healing process with these self-care affirmations. Though it may be hard to see through the storm of negativity, remember that it will pass and you will find happiness in the sun once again.
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.