There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Going through a breakup is never easy, and it can be tough to find words of encouragement for someone going through a separation that are non-judgmental.
Fortunately, we’ve put together a list that can help you feel better about your separation, help you process your emotions, and ultimately get on the road to inner healing.
It may also come in useful if you know of a family, friend or colleague in this difficult situation.
Not sure if words can really help someone heal? Then keep reading.
Why Use Words of Encouragement for Someone Going Through a Separation?
Words of encouragement for someone going through a separation often involve several elements. This includes words that can help people feel better about their decision to break up, and words that help with depression. Unfortunately, break-ups can lead to situational depression and other difficult emotions like loneliness.
Using words of encouragement can make a big difference when learning to pep yourself up, learning to recover, and most importantly, learning how to be single again.
Being single after a breakup gives you the chance to heal and also gives you the opportunity to learn self-love and self-respect. The last thing someone needs after a breakup is to hop in to another toxic or unhealthy relationship.
Without words of encouragement at their disposal, people might be more prone to jumping into unhealthy dating again, have feelings of anger, depression, hurt, and anxiety.
Fortunately, this list below can help you learn how to recover and give you the encouragement you need to start mending that broken heart!
85 Words of Encouragement for Someone Going Through a Separation
- What's yours is meant for you and will be there waiting when you're ready. Anything lost in the process of finding yourself is just a part of the journey.
- Life is full of twists and turns, but you will eventually find your way. When you do, remember how much of your journey you spent alone – and how you still made it anyway.
- “Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
- Learning to love again is never easy. But neither is learning to be unhappy, or to settle for less than what you deserve.
- Holding on to anger is the worst thing you can do. It deteriorates your body and your spirit from the inside out. However, letting go is always the most noble form of bravery.
Holding on to anger is the worst thing you can do. It deteriorates your body and your spirit from the inside out. However, letting go is always the most noble form of bravery.”
- You will survive this, and you will be stronger for it.
- Love is not supposed to be quid pro quo, tit for tat, or a game of manipulation. It is about trusting in yourself and others and believing that they will be true to you as well.
- If you have 100% to give, don't expect 100% back. People have different reasons for being the way they are, and it's not always about you. Save that 100% for yourself.
- Even if it doesn't feel like it, remember that growing and maturity are part of getting stronger.
- Between choosing self-respect and the love of others, always choose self-respect.
- Boundaries are meant to be respected, not broken.
- The greatest love of all is self-love.
- “I will not allow myself to not feel chosen every single day. And I’ll wait till whenever that is.” – Hannah Brown
- If it was bad 100% of the time, it would be easy to leave. But abusers know this and give you the 1% to cling to. Let that 1% go.
- Choosing to walk away is never a sign of weakness – it's a sign of power.
- In a situation where you have to choose between losing someone or losing yourself, never lose yourself.
- Now that you're single, you have all the time in the world to devote to loving yourself and mastering your inner being.
- “People tell us who they are but we ignore it, because we want them to be who we want them to be.” – Don Draper, Mad Men
- Leaving a bad situation is never foolish, but wanting to go back is. And you're no fool.
- “We accept the love we think we deserve.” -Stephen Chbosky
- Could you imagine emerging from pain completely new? It's not imagination this time. It's reality.
- It's ok to not be ok. Just make sure you don't stay that way forever.
- No matter what happens, keep striving for a better tomorrow and never give up on yourself.
- You are capable of more than you think and stronger than you know!
- In those moments where heartbreak sets in, remember how capable you are of getting through it. Remember the moments that happened before, and the moments that happened after, that brought a smile to your face.
In those moments where heartbreak sets in, remember how capable you are of getting through it. Remember the moments that happened before, and the moments that happened after, that brought a smile to your face.”
- Don't let any setback stop you from believing in yourself. Instead, learn and grow from it.
- It's ok to be scared, but never let fear control you or keep you down. Fear never helps, but courage always does.
- You can still love deeply, and will learn to love again, even if you've been hurt before.
- Science shows a positive attitude can speed up recovery times when you're sick. Your attitude and outlook can make a difference in how you move on from this experience.
- Your power is not determined by who you are with, but how well you love yourself.
- Sometimes it takes growing apart to learn how to really grow together.
- Whoever said loving yourself was selfish never took the time to understand what it really means to be in touch with your inner being.
- Respect is a two-way street. If you gave respect, but never got any in return, it is time to move on.
- No matter how much you loved someone, if they don't love themselves, they can't love you.
- You don't owe anyone an explanation if they can't understand your feelings.
- “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” – Marilyn Monroe
- No matter how hard it gets, never forget who you are and where you come from.
- Just because it's over doesn't mean that your worth is gone. Your worth will always be ingrained in you, and no one can take it away.
- Take every day at a time and never forget to be gentle with yourself.
- Life is not a race; take your time, heal, grow, and learn to love yourself again.
- Loving someone else begins with loving yourself, so don't forget to take care of you.
- The most important life lesson you can learn is to trust yourself and never let anyone else define who you are.
- Losing someone who never respected you is never a loss – it's gaining the freedom to be yourself and find true love.
- The best gift you can give yourself is to set yourself free.
- Letting go is an art form. But like the fish we can quietly observe in the water, sometimes the best decision is to see your love swim away without interfering.
Letting go is an art form. But like the fish we can quietly observe in the water, sometimes the best decision is to see your love swim away without interfering.”
- No matter how hard it gets, don't forget that life will always deliver what you deserve.
- “You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, well, you might find, you get what you need.” – The Rolling Stones
- You're not obliged to accept things you don't want to. Don't fake the smile. Find ways to be truly happy.
- Never feel guilty for having standards.
- Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself – sometimes, all it takes is walking away and saying “No” to what doesn't feel right.
- Those who truly love you will do so through thick and thin. If they didn't – it wasn't worth it to begin with.
- People need time to grow. But there's a limit for love and patience, and it's okay to reach it.
- You can spend time healing and be grateful for the experience no matter what happened.
- No one can change you or make you happy; that's up to you and you alone.
- It takes strength and courage to be happy, and it always starts from within.
- If they wanted to, they would. Never beg someone to love you or give you the effort you deserve.
- “Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.” – Mark Twain
- No one is perfect, but it doesn't mean we can't work on ourselves. And it doesn't mean we can't strive for perfection every day.
- Sometimes painful endings lead to beautiful beginnings.
- Who told you that you needed to accept unhappiness? On the contrary, you don't need to accept perpetual anger and sadness.
- Cutting people off is easier said than done, but it's worth the effort for your own peace of mind and clarity.
- It's okay to grieve and be sad, but don't forget to look forward and keep living.
- Your life is still yours, even if you're alone.
- Being alone is actually a superpower. You have the power to master yourself and learn to depend on your own strength.
- The problem with love is that we romanticize it. We have an idea of what it should be, but no real understanding of what it takes to make it work. The truth is love doesn't come easy. It takes time, effort, and compromise. And sometimes, it doesn't work out.
The problem with love is that we romanticize it. We have an idea of what it should be, but no real understanding of what it takes to make it work. The truth is love doesn't come easy. It takes time, effort, and compromise. And sometimes, it doesn't work out.”
- Your greatest enemy is the voice inside you that says you can't go on. To it, say: “Yes, I can.”
- “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.” – Frank Herbert
- It's okay to be alone, and it's a necessary step in the process of healing. Learn to love the moments of stillness, peace, and silence when being alone.
- Sometimes relationships end due to lack of effort. Sometimes, it wasn't meant to be. But no matter what happened, don't forget that you are still worthy and deserving of love.
- Giving someone power over you is a choice. But, it's a choice that's never too late to take back.
- “She’s in the past. The past is not my concern. The future is no longer my concern, either.” – Thomas Shelby, Peaky Blinders
- Love is worth fighting for, but don't forget for yourself too.
- Does taking the weight off of your shoulders feel good? That's how it should be.
- Remember, the universe is always working in your favor and things will work out in the end – even if it's not the way you expected it to.
- Love doesn't have to be a fairytale, and sometimes the best love story is your own.
- In the end, all that matters is that you love and respect yourself enough to make sure your needs are met.
- Don't take a breakup as a failure. Take it as a chance to learn, overcome, grow, and get to know yourself better. And if all else fails, remember you are not defined by your losses.
- “Sometimes your heart needs more time to accept something that your mind already knows.” – Anonymous
- Nothing lasts forever – even true love. Sometimes, it's about learning to accept the changing seasons and the lifespan of things.
- To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven. – Ecclesiastes 3:1
To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven.” – Ecclesiastes 3:1
- “Not all storms come to disrupt your life, some come to clear your path.” – Anonymous
- You deserve to be loved every single day – not just when it's convenient.
- This too shall pass.
- Loving someone is never a mistake. It's a test of vulnerability, and a risk worth taking.
- Power can only take you so far in your healing journey. For the rest of the way, remember your friends, family, and self-love.
Final Thoughts on Words of Encouragement for Someone Going Through a Separation
These words of encouragement for someone going through a separation can help lift your spirits, remind you of the importance of self-worth, self-respect, and boundaries… as well as inspire resilience during tough times. Same goes for a close person in your life who may need to hear these words.
An important reminder is that healing takes time – be patient with yourself! You have within you the strength to overcome anything life throws at you – so believe in that power within you today. And once you have, be sure to pass it on.
A simple smile and a few words can go a long way in motivating someone along their path of healing and forgiveness.
And if you want more encouraging affirmations, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 39 Comforting Words of Encouragement After an Accident
- 61 Words of Encouragement to Comfort Someone with Depression
- 45 Words of Encouragement to Inspire Your Son