There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
When you first meet someone, the world is a beautiful place. The trees are greener, the candy is sweeter and everything is just, well, great.
But as the honeymoon period fizzles out, masks begin to slip and reveal a much uglier truth. You find yourself trapped, unappreciated and unloved by the person you’ve given so much energy and time to. And it makes no sense.
Evidently, not everyone wants the best for you. Not everyone wants you to shine, to be happy, and successful. Some people even enjoy your misery and despair, feeding the doubts whilst driving you down a powerless spiral of torment. The caring turns to control and the togetherness becomes a toxic prison.
In this article, we will share some toxic relationship quotes to help you recognize, understand and move away from the negativity in your life. We’re here to help you find a more positive place. And to eliminate the toxicity that’s holding you back.
Why It’s Important to Free Yourself from a Toxic Relationship
When we feel trapped in a toxic relationship, it can be hard to see a way out. The bitterness weighs us down, and every day feels like groundhog day.
We convince ourselves that it’ll get better, that it’s just a phase or a rocky patch, like every other couple with their ups and downs.
But it isn’t going to get better. And with friends and family often unaware of the struggles, it’s hard to know where to turn. How do you say “I need help” or “I don’t know how to get out of this. I’m scared” when you’re already so tired and downtrodden?
Many people find a connection with quotes, an understanding or a solace. To know that someone, somewhere, once felt how we do is not only comforting but reassuring that we’re not alone.
Because in those dark moments, when we have to take our bravest steps, we all need someone to stand by our sides, to be that emotional crutch.
You deserve this – to love yourself and be free from the negativity you’ve been saddled with. Whilst finding the strength to walk away is hard, it’s a vital step towards healing and regaining your happiness.
So let’s start your journey today with these inspiring quotes.
65 Toxic Relationship Quotes to Free Yourself Today
- “No partner in a love relationship… should feel that he has to give up an essential part of himself to make it viable.” – May Sarton
- “While it may feel scary to be alone again, it may be even scarier to stay.” – Unknown
- “I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone” – Robin Williams
- “There are people who bring you down, by just being them” – Malebo Sephodi
- “A toxic relationship keeps dragging you down. It never helps you in becoming better.” – Unknown
- “Never let someone who contributes so little to a relationship control so much of it.” – Unknown
- “Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.” – Steve Jobs
- “You cannot thrive in toxic relationships.” – Unknown
- “Until you let go of all the toxic people in your life, you will never be able to grow into your fullest potential. Let them go so you can grow.” – DLQ
- “A healthy relationship doesn't drag you down. It inspires you to be better.” – Unknown
- “The one who loves the least, controls the relationship.” – Robert Anthony
- “Sometimes you need to give up on people, not because you don’t care but because they don’t.” – Unknown
- “Being alone may scare you, but being in a bad relationship may damage you.” – Unknown
- “Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go.” – Hermen Hesse
- “Bravery is leaving a toxic relationship and knowing that you deserve better.” – Unknown
- “Dear Self: Stop re-opening your doors for toxic people, then calling it ‘seeking closure.’ Certain things don't work out in life . . . and that's ok.” – Reyna Biddy
- “Celebrate endings, for they precede new beginnings.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
- “A bad relationship can do that, can make you doubt everything good you ever felt about yourself.” – Dionne Warwick
- “The moment that you start to wonder if you deserve better, you do.” – Unknown
- “Leaving a toxic relationship means giving yourself an opportunity to understand your needs.” – Unknown
- “It’s better to be healthy alone than sick with someone else.” – Phil McGraw
- “When your ex says “You’ll never find anyone like me.” Just smile and reply “That’s the point.” – Unknown
- “Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” – Hussein Nishah
- “Relationships are supposed to make you feel good. Relationships are NOT supposed to make you feel bad. Or guilty, insecure, ashamed, paranoid, or hopeless. Good. So when a relationship makes you feel bad, guilty, insecure, ashamed, paranoid, or hopeless, end it.” – Laura Bowers
- “Ending a toxic relationship often means beginning a new journey of self reflection and self-care” – Unknown
- “Don’t stay in an unhealthy relationship because you think it’ll get better eventually. Know your worth and move on.” – Unknown
- “Better off alone than with someone who actually makes me always feel alone.” – Unknown
- “Letting go of toxic people is an act of self-care.” – Karen Salmansohn
- “The best way to move forward is to let go of the people holding you back.” – Unknown
- “I know that it really hurts to move on but it hurts more to stay somewhere you aren’t appreciated, respected and loved.” – Unknown
- “A bad relationship is like standing on broken glass, if you stay you will keep hurting. If you walk away, you will hurt but eventually you will heal.” – Autumn Kohler
- “Ending an unhealthy relationship is not only courageous, but a monumental step in working towards a healthier relationship with yourself and others.” – Unknown
- “Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.” – Unknown
- “Breaking up with an unhealthy partner gives you space to get to know what you need in a relationship.” – Unknown
- “You don't let go of a bad relationship because you stop caring about them. You let go because you start caring about yourself.” – Charles Orlando
You don't let go of a bad relationship because you stop caring about them. You let go because you start caring about yourself.” – Charles Orlando
- “You don’t ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life.” – Unknown
- “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
- “I don’t hate you , I’m just disappointed you turned into everything you said you’d never be.” – Unknown
- “You can't alter someone who doesn't see a problem with what they're doing.” – Unknown
- “You can’t fight for a place in someone’s life because no matter how hard you try to keep your place, they’ll put you where they want to even if it’s not where you should be.” – Unknown
- “Just because someone desires you, does not mean that he values you.” – Julianne Cantarella
- “Like arsenic, toxic people will slowly kill you. They kill your positive spirit and play with your mind and emotions. The only cure is to let them go.” – Dennisse Lisseth
- “At some point you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life.” – Tara Westover, Educated
- “A healthy relationship will never require you to sacrifice your friends, your dream, or your dignity.” – Unknown
- “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Losing will not always amount to a loss, sometimes you have to lose those toxic relationships and bad habits to create a space for better things.” – Gift Gugu Mona
- “It’s not your fault for not being there. It’s my fault for thinking you would be.” – Unknown
- “You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It won't happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, ‘I don't care how hard this is, I don't care how disappointed I am, I'm not going to let this get the best of me. I'm moving on with my life.” – Joel Osteen
- “You take your power back by letting people go.” – Emma Xu
- “There must come a time when your love for yourself becomes more important than your need to hold onto the pain of your past.” – Karen Salmansohn
- “You can’t change someone who doesn’t see an issue in their actions.” – Unknown
- “A healthy relationship doesn’t drag you down. It inspires you to be better.” – Unknown
- “We all have that toxic people around us that make our lives miserable… The day we take them out from our lives, we will all become better people; including them…” – Rodolfo Peon
- “I’m letting go. You let go a long time ago, and I realize that it is time for me to do the same.” – Unknown
- “There is no safe way to remain in a relationship with a person who has no conscience. The only solution is to escape.” – Unknown
- “Poisonous relationships can alter our perception. You can spend many years thinking you’re worthless. But you’re not worthless. You’re underappreciated.” – Steve Maraboli
- “You cannot change the past but you can change the way you look upon it. So treat the bad as a lesson and move on.” – Unknown
- “Bravery is leaving a toxic relationship and knowing that you deserve better.” – Unknown
- “You’re in a relationship to be happy, to smile, to laugh, and to make good memories. Not to constantly be upset, to feel hurt, and to cry.” – Unknown
- “Leaving a toxic relationship may be painful at first, but with time, you may feel as if a huge weight has been lifted.” – Unknown
- “The only way to win with a toxic partner is not to play.” – Unknown
- “Don’t settle for a relationship that won’t let you be yourself.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “You create more space in your life when you turn your excess baggage to garbage.” – Chinonye J. Chidolue
- “Just say no to complicated, dead end, unhealthy, and toxic relationships.” – Stephanie Lahart
- “When being in a toxic relationship in life at times you may have to step outside yourself, to see yourself, so you can find yourself and love yourself again.” – Angel Moreira
Final Thoughts on Freeing Yourself From a Toxic Relationship
A toxic partner will lead you to believe that you’re not good enough, that the relationship problems are your fault and that no one else would want you. But this cycle of negativity is exactly the reason you should walk away.
Take charge of your life, your path, and find freedom from the toxicity. Try using these self-worth affirmations and learn to love yourself again. Because you deserve all the happiness in the world.
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.