There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Marijuana is a hot topic these days. With more and more states legalizing it for medicinal and recreational use, it's no wonder people are curious about trying it. But before you take the plunge, there are a few things you should know.
Weed is often seen as a harmless drug, but it can be dangerous if you overindulge in it. First and foremost, marijuana is addictive.
What You Will Learn
Dangers of Addiction
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, about 30% of people who use marijuana will become addicted to it. And the more you use, the greater the risk of addiction.
Addiction is a big concern as it can lead to abusing other substances. Matter of fact, weed is often called a “gateway drug” because it can lead to the use of other, more dangerous drugs.
Job loss, financial instability, and relationship problems are some of the major downsides addicts suffer from.
Side Effects of Smoking Weed
In addition to addiction, marijuana use can also lead to several mental problems. For example, marijuana use has been linked to anxiety, depression, and psychotic symptoms like paranoia and delusions.
Short Term Memory Loss
Marijuana use can cause short-term memory loss. This means you may have trouble remembering things that happened recently or retaining new information.
Marijuana can also make it difficult to concentrate. This may make it hard to focus on tasks or complete complex projects.
Smoking weed can cause dry mouth, or cottonmouth. This is because marijuana decreases saliva production. Dry mouth can lead to oral health problems like tooth decay and gum disease.
Physical Health Problems
Smoking weed can also cause some physical health problems. These include lung damage, increased risk of cancer, and impaired immune function.
Additionally, marijuana use during pregnancy can lead to low birth weight babies and developmental problems later in life.
We often associate DUI with alcohol. However, you can get pulled over by police if you are suspected of driving while under the influence of marijuana.
Another danger of marijuana is that it can impair your judgment and reaction time. This means that if you're driving while under the influence of weed, you're more likely to get into an accident.
In fact, studies have shown that marijuana use can increase your risk of being in a car accident by up to four times.
So, before you decide to try weed, be sure to weigh the risks and benefits. And if you do decide to try it, be sure to do so responsibly.
A Word on Peer Pressure
Peer pressure can be tough at any age – not just among adolescents. As an adult, there can be pressure to drink too much alcohol or do drugs, especially at a party.
There may be a lot of pressure to smoke weed, even if you are not comfortable with doing so. You might feel like you have to fit in or be accepted by your peers.
However, it is important to know that you can still say no and be cool. Let's go over some phrases and quips you can use to say no while still being cool.
63 Ways To Say No To Weed & Still Be Cool
1. “No thanks, I'm good.”
2. “I don't really feel like it.”
3. “Maybe some other time.”
4. “I don't want to get too high.”
5. “I'm not in the mood.”
6. “I don't want to end up a couch potato.”
7. “I don't want to get addicted.”
8. “It's not really my thing.”
9. “I'm not into that scene.”
10. “I'm trying to be healthy and weed is bad for you.”
11. “Weed gives me anxiety and the world is stressful enough.”
12. “Give me a candy bar over weed any day. I prefer to gain pounds than lose brain cells”
13. “I don't like the taste/smell of it.”
14. “It's too strong for me.”
15. “I don't want to get paranoid.”
16. “I don't want to do something stupid while high.”
17. “Weed makes me sleepy and I am already a very relaxed person.”
18.” I just drank a ton of coffee, and smoking weed would just have the opposite effect.”
19. “I don't want to get the munchies, I am on a diet.”
20. “Hey buddy, I just washed these clothes. I don't need them to smell like weed.”
21. “I heard that weed can give you brain damage and I value my intelligence.”
22. “Weed is just too expensive and I prefer to spend my money shopping.”
23. “I prefer to smell like perfume, not marijuana”
24. “I don't need to be high to have fun.”
25. “I'm already happy, I don't need weed.”
26. “I'm too stressed; smoking weed would just make me more paranoid.”
27. “Weed gives me cotton mouth and I hate feeling thirsty all the time.”
28. “I don't want to get the munchies and crave chocolate. I have been doing a good job staying away from sweets”
29. “I'm trying to quit smoking and weed is a gateway drug.”
30. “The last thing I need to do now is get sleepy. I already sleep like a cat.”
31. “Maybe if it smelled better I would try it. So I will pass for now.”
32. “Thanks, but bloodshot eyes don't look good on me unless it’s Halloween”.
33. “I don't like how weed makes me feel, it's too out of control.”
34. “No offense, but there are way more fun things to do while hanging out.”
35. “I'm trying to be more eco-friendly and smoking anything is just bad for the environment.”
36. “I would rather eat plants than smoke them.”
37. “Weed just isn't my thing, I don't need it.”
38. “I'm sorry but I have to study/work and I can't be high.”
39. “It's not that I don't like you, I just don't like weed.”
40. “I think smoking anything is gross, not just cigarettes.”
41.” Sorry, but the smell of weed is just way too strong for me. I don’t even like food that smells too strong.”
42. “I don't want to get high and then have to take a drug test.”
43. “Weed is just a waste of money. If I have enough money for marijuana, then I can buy a homeless person a sandwich.”
44. “I don't like how weed makes me feel, I would just be useless after smoking it.”
45. “No offense, but there are way more fun things to do like binge on Netflix, playing a board game, reading a book – you name it.”
46.” Sorry, but I don't need to escape reality. So getting high is useless for me.”
47.”If I get high with you, I won't really be able to enjoy our time together.”
48. “Weed gives me the sweet tooth of a toddler – no thanks.”
49. “Thanks, but caffeine makes me high enough.”
50. “When I quit smoking cigarettes, I quit smoking everything!”
51. “No thanks, I would rather smoke a turkey than weed or a cigarette. Plus, smoked turkey is delicious.”
52. “I don't like the smell of weed, its way too pungent for me.”
53. “Times are hard. Who has money to waste on drugs when people are starving and losing homes?”
54. “No thanks, I have enough trouble functioning as it is – I don't need help from weed.”
55. “There are too many hungry people around for me to waste extra money on drugs I don't even want.”
56. “I would rather plant trees than smoke them up.”
57. “If I am going to do something illegal, it needs to be for a life-saving reason.”
58. “I don't like being around people when they are high, it just makes me feel uncomfortable.”
59. “I prefer to savor the taste of a fine and legal glass of wine than escape with an illegal drug.”
60. “No thanks, I am fine with staying in my own reality.”
61. “Weed is so yesterday's news – there are so many other things to do that are more fun.”
62. “No thanks, I don't need an excuse to be lazy. I am already lazy as it is.”
63. “I have spent years building up brain cells. I won't ruin them with weed or anything else.”
Final Thoughts About Saying No to Weed While Still Being Cool
It can be tricky to say no to weed and still be cool. However, it is possible. There are many different ways to say no and still be cool. You just need to find the way that works best for you.
The key thing to remember is to be respectful and honest when you say no. No one can make you do something you don't want to do, unless you are under duress. So, if you don't want to try weed, then don't. It's as simple as that.
And for more insight about addiction, check out our article 100 Positive Affirmations to recover from an Addiction.