There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Many of us live with some kind of emotional trauma. It may be sparked by a neglectful parent, an onslaught of school bullying, or a controlling partner, to name a few scenarios. And the impact can be immense.
It shapes the way we think, how we approach situations, relationships and so much more. And though the memories won’t always be at the forefront of our daily lives, they will always be there, like a loose button on your coat that you just can’t fix.
But within these mental abuse quotes, you will see that your trauma doesn’t need to define you. And that with courage, acceptance, and time, you can start to heal and live a happier life.
How Should You Deal With Emotional Trauma?
Whilst burying your head in the sand might feel like an easier option, eventually, you’ll have to come up for air. And when you do, all those raw emotions that you’ve been trying to ignore will be waiting for you.
You can not, no matter how much you try, drown your sorrows, or the memories that caused them. They are insistent to be heard, like a small child demanding your attention. And dismissing them will only make the cries come louder.
To overcome your emotional trauma, you’ll need to confront the feelings that come knocking at your door. And whilst it’s likely to be the last thing you want to do, talking about the mental abuse will help you to do this.
That may be with a trusted family member, a friend, or even a professional. It may be with just one person. Or it could be with a tribe of empathetic souls, who collectively give you that much-needed support through the darkest days.
The pain you’ve suffered won’t magically disappear. There’s no erase button to your past. And no lock and key strong enough to keep it at bay.
But by giving yourself time to process what has happened, to grieve for the time lost, and accept that it’s gone, you can navigate a new path. One that is filled with hope, and courage. And an appreciation for all that you have, rather than anguish for what you lost.
Dealing with emotional trauma is never easy. But it is always worth it.
Now, let’s take a look at these mental abuse quotes.
45 Mental Abuse Quotes to Deal with Your Emotional Trauma
- “The only person that deserves a special place in your life is someone that never made you feel like you were an option in theirs.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “There is no timestamp on trauma. There isn’t a formula that you can insert yourself into to get from horror to healed. Be patient. Take up space. Let your journey be the balm.” – Dawn Serra
- “It is not the the bruises on the body that hurt. It is the wounds of the heart and the scars on the mind.” – Aisha Mirza
- “You survived the abuse. You're going to survive the recovery.” – Unknown
- “Emotional abuse poisons a relationship and infuses it with hostility, contempt, and hatred.” – Beverly Engel
- “Most of us have unhealthy thoughts and emotions that have either developed as a result of trauma or hardships in their childhood, or the way they were raised.” – Steven Seagal
Most of us have unhealthy thoughts and emotions that have either developed as a result of trauma or hardships in their childhood, or the way they were raised.” – Steven Seagal
- “A lot of people who have experienced trauma at the hands of people they’ve trusted take responsibility, and that is what’s toxic.” – Hannah Gadsby
- “Emotional abuse cuts to the very core of a person, creating scars that may be longer lasting than physical ones.” – Beverly Engel
- “What we change inwardly will change outer reality.” – Plutarch
- “I did not ask for the things I’ve been through. And I certainly didn’t ask my mind to paint and repaint the pictures back in flashback form.” – Michelle Groth
- Psychological invalidation is one of the most lethal forms of emotional abuse. It kills confidence, creativity and individuality.” – Madhu Menon
- “I survived because the fire that burned inside of me burned brighter than the fire around me.” – Unknown
- “Don’t put up with disrespect just to keep them in your life.” – Unknown
- “Emotional abuse is a nonphysical behavior or attitude that controls, demeans, punishes or isolates a person.” – Dee Brown
- “You are stronger than you think. You have gotten through every bad day in your life, and you are undefeated.” – Unknown
- “Words can make, and words can break.” – Wayne Gerard Trotman
- “Trauma creates change you don’t choose. Healing is about creating change you do choose.” – Michelle Rosenthal
- “No one deserves to be treated like trash, especially not by the person you love.” – Unknown
- “You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have.” – Bob Marley
- “One day you will tell your story of how you overcame what you went through and it will be someone else’s survival guide.” – Unknown
One day you will tell your story of how you overcame what you went through and it will be someone else’s survival guide.” – Unknown
- “Be gentle with your past selves for doing what they had to do to get through it.” – Jordan Pickell
- “I’m not weak, I was trusting. I’m not giving up, I’m healing. I’m not incapable of love, I’m giving. I’m not alone, I see you all here. I’m fighting this.” – Rene Smith
- “Putting up with an abusive person is like living with a pig in a pigsty and pretending not to care about the smell.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
- “Instead of being ashamed of what you’ve been through, be proud of what you have overcome.” – Dr. Phil
- “Revenge is surviving, getting out, and being a better person than you were, and breaking the cycle.” – Kristy Green
- “Recovery is a process. It takes time. It takes patience. It takes everything you’ve got.” – Unknown
- “The scars you can’t see are the hardest to heal.” – Astrid Alauda
- “I won’t let pain, turn my heart into something ugly. I will show you that surviving can be beautiful.” – Christy Ann Martine
- “Some scars don’t hurt. Some scars are numb. Some scars rid you of the capacity to feel anything ever again.” – Joyce Rachelle
- “Abuse is a control tactic. It's aim is to break you and make you submit.” – M. Wakefield
- “Abuse changes your life…Fight Back and change the life of your abusers by Breaking Your Silence on Abuse!” – Patty Rase Hopson
- “Emotional abuse is considered by many to be the most painful form of violence and the most detrimental to self-esteem.” – Beverly Engel
- “Abuse doesn’t just happen in romantic relationships abuse can live in friendships too”- Rupi Kaur
- “With emotional abuse, the insults, insinuations, criticism, and accusations slowly eat away at the victim’s self-esteem until he or she is incapable of judging a situation realistically.” – Beverly Engel
With emotional abuse, the insults, insinuations, criticism, and accusations slowly eat away at the victim’s self-esteem until he or she is incapable of judging a situation realistically.” – Beverly Engel
- “Bullying is emotional abuse. Nobody deserves being bullied and nobody has the right to bully and judge others.” – Agatha Chelsea
- “A man who apologizes for things he’ll never stop doing doesn’t love you he doesn’t deserve you” – R.H. Sin
- “I’m still coping with my trauma, but coping by trying to find different ways to heal it rather than hide it.” – Clemantine Wamariya
- “Poisonous relationships can alter our perception. You can spend many years thinking you’re worthless, you’re unappreciated.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Sometimes we refuse to see how bad something is until it completely destroys us.” – Unknown
- “Cooperation does not equal enjoyment.” – Kenneth Adams
- “Emotional abuse is designed to undermine another's sense of self. It is deliberate humiliation, with the intent to seize control of how others feel about themselves.” – Lorraine Nilon
- “When you’re going through these difficult times of chaos and trauma, the most important thing is to keep those who are closest to you together.” – Michael Imperioli
- “Intimidation, even if it appears unintentional, is a sign that emotional abuse is on the way – or has already begun – and is a warning flag that physical violence may eventually follow.” – Lundy Bancroft
- “If I treat you the way you treated me, then you would hate me.” – Unknown
- “Miracles can be found in the most unlikely of places. I found the light not by swimming to the surface, but by letting myself drown in the seas of my deepest fears. Not by eradicating the dark, but by embracing it. I realized that there is no such a thing as darkness, only light and the absence of it. It is there in the light of unconditional love that I finally found the freedom I had been searching for so long.”- M.M. van der Reijden
Final Thoughts on Dealing With Your Emotional Trauma
There are few things worse than being trapped by your own emotional trauma. It feels like the nightmare will never end. And that every day is spent reliving the mental abuse.
But you can overcome this.
Be kind to yourself. Seek help from the people you trust. And look at coping techniques such as journaling or meditation to get you through the difficult days.
If you’re looking for more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 97 Short Quotes & Sayings to Inspire Your Life
- 63 Best Brené Brown Quotes on Vulnerability & Daring Greatly
- 47 Finding Yourself Quotes to Discover Who You Are
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.