There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
If you have an opinion outside of the norm, people presume you’re argumentative. And if you're driven by happiness rather than money, people insist that you’re just work-shy, and can’t be bothered to chase the big bucks.
In fact, if you have any kind of aspirations that move you away from conventional living, people judge and call you crazy. They laugh at your ideas. And seemingly take pride in reminding you of how you should live your life.
But not everyone wants to be confined to convention. And it’s those free spirits that make the world a more beautiful place.
As children, we’re taught how to behave. Our parents or caregivers teach us how to wait our turn patiently, how to hold our cutlery properly, and to eat our greens because they’ll make us big and strong.
They remind us to always say please and thank you; to never interrupt. And to stop asking silly questions.
But if we stop asking questions, how can we grow as people? How can we learn to live outside of the four walls we occupy? And explore beyond the horizon.
We aren’t robots. We aren’t meant to exist in a clock-in and clock-out world. And yet, so many of us do.
So many people forget about the dreams they had. And only worry about tomorrow’s alarm, about having a pair of matching socks to go to work in, and where to grab lunch from on a 45-minute break.
But for others, mismatching socks is all part of the fun. It’s part of the journey, like a crazy road trip with spontaneous pitstops for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It’s a journey to find the best sunsets, the best ice cream, and all the other things that make them smile.
Those people who are truly living. People who are daring to be different, who continue to ask questions, silly or otherwise. And who unapologetically live their lives in the least robotic manner possible.
To those who live differently, the world needs more people like you. It needs more free spirits to break away from the norm. To make their own choices, to follow their own dreams, and to get to the end, feeling that life really was well lived.
So let’s celebrate free-spirited living with these free-spirit quotes. And know that adventure is just one pair of mismatched socks away.
- “I like to be a free spirit. Some don't like that, but that's the way I am.” – Princess Diana
- “I have fallen in love with the imagination. And if you fall in love with the imagination, you understand that it is a free spirit. It will go anywhere, and it can do anything.” – Alice Walker
- “Even the fact that I labelled myself makes me mad sometimes, because dude, I'm just a free spirit.” – Lauren Jauregui
- “My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there.” – Rumi
- “I am a wild woman, it would take a warrior to tame my spirit.” – Nikki Rowe
- “Being young isn't about age, it's about being a free spirit. You can meet someone of 20 who's boring and old, or you can meet someone of 70 who's youthful and exciting. I met Fred Astaire when he was 72 and I was 21, and I fell in love with him. He certainly was a free spirit.” – Twiggy
Being young isn't about age, it's about being a free spirit. You can meet someone of 20 who's boring and old, or you can meet someone of 70 who's youthful and exciting. I met Fred Astaire when he was 72 and I was 21, and I fell in love with him. He certainly was a free spirit.” – Twiggy
- “They can’t chain my spirit! My spirit runs free! Walls can’t contain it! Laws can’t restrain it! Authority has no power over it!” – Bill Watterson
- “Your happiness doesn’t come free, but you need to be free to be happy.” – Nokwethemba Nkosi
- “There are incalculable resources in the human spirit, once it has been set free.” – Hubert H. Humphrey
- “She was born to be free, let her run wild in her own way and you will never lose her.” – Nikki Rowe
- “I love people who are free — the ones who are all-things beautiful. They’re the ones who make this life worth living.” – Ashley Duvan
- “We must free ourselves from this prison that restricts our personal desires by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.” – Dee Waldeck
- “My mother's father was from Brazil – a painter, and not a famous one – and was always broke. But he was a free spirit, a great grandfather.” – Claire Denis
- “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “Release your majestic mind, embrace your untamed inner spirit. Break free from captivity, avoid society… You were born to be free.” – Melanie Muller
- “A ship in dock, surrounded by quays and the walls of warehouses, has the appearance of a prisoner meditating upon freedom in the sadness of a free spirit put under restraint.” – Joseph Conrad
- “If you try to tame her she will fly away, because pretty little spirits like her, never like to be caged.” – Nikki Rowe
- “Bjork was so good to me. She's very independent and she doesn't suck your energy. She lets you be you. She's a free spirit so she knows how to be with a free spirit. That's the only sort of woman I could see myself staying with.” – Tricky
- “I realize I’m a free spirit. I like to be happy. I have to have more control of my happiness.” – Chamique Holdsclaw
- “Let your mind be set free from the control of others influence.” – Jeremy Limn
- “He had a free spirit. He was so far-reaching, he's the person who likes the wind in his hair.” – Carlotta Leon Guerrero
- “The free soul is rare but you know it when you see it – basically because you feel good, very good when you are near or with them.” – Charles Bukowski
The free soul is rare but you know it when you see it – basically because you feel good, very good when you are near or with them.” – Charles Bukowski
- “I had always been a free spirit and always gotten what I wanted.” – Rick James
- “If a man is to be a man, a free spirit unto himself, he must arm himself not only with weapons but with ideals and concepts he is willing to die for.” – William Powell
- “I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar!” – Joss Whedon
- “It is the free-spirited men and women that we most admire and often envy – those individuals who dare to be themselves.” – Kevyn Aucoin
- “To keep our faces toward chance and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.” – Helen Keller
- “We are too quick to put labels on things. It is my profession. I get up and paint. Everyone wants to put a label on it, but I am a free spirit, so I fight against that.” – Geoffrey Holder
- “Release your majestic mind, embrace your untamed inner spirit. Break free from captivity, avoid society.. You were born to be free.” – Melanie Muller
- “Let my free spirit be my legacy.” – Lisa Allen Thompson
- “Each one of us has it in themselves to be a free spirit, just as every rose bud has in it a rose.” – Rudolf Steiner
- “May my heart be brave, my mind fierce, and my spirit free.” – Kate Forsyth
- “This is the day I give birth to my liberation.” ― Helen Edwards
- “I wear like lip gloss and my hair is always really natural, and I'm a really kind of natural free spirit in my everyday life who has crystals and I burn sage, and I think I find a lot of calming beauty in that stuff.” – Maria Brink
- “I’m just a free-spirit with a wild heart and an open road ahead.” – Unknown
- “I’m just really a free spirit. You gotta be like that. ‘Cause life ain’t that complicated. It’s only that complicated when you make it that way. I just wanna wake up and move with the way it goes. If it’s meant to happen, it will happen.” – Future
- “Baby, I’m not afraid, I’ve been to hell and back, I’m a free spirit, a wild child and a renegade.” – Mishi Mccoy
- “Something about her eyes or voice has always suggested the hint of a free spirit, trapped in a Peck and Peck cage, dreaming of making rude noises at public gatherings of Republicans.” – Jeff Greenfield
Something about her eyes or voice has always suggested the hint of a free spirit, trapped in a Peck and Peck cage, dreaming of making rude noises at public gatherings of Republicans.” – Jeff Greenfield
- “A free spirit is just an old soul with all its karma paid… needing to prove nothing.” – Unknown
- “Every renaissance comes to the world with a cry, the cry of the human spirit to be free.” – Anne Sullivan Macy
- “Freedom is found when we let go of who we are supposed to be and embrace who we really are.” – Unknown
- “We are all free spirits. We must choose to practice freedom.” – Sark
- “A wild spirit is often misunderstood. Others may think I’m lost, when in truth, I’m simply roaming free.” – RH
- “A few years ago, I bought an old red bicycle with the words Free Spirit written across its side – which is exactly what I felt like when I rode it down the street in a tie-dyed dress.” – Drew Barrymore
- “I’m not a bird. No net will ensnare me. I’m a human being that has her own independent will.” – Charlotte Bronte
- “Do you have the discipline to be a free spirit?” – Gabrielle Roth
- “The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” – Albert Camus
- “She was happy. She lived for herself and enjoyed her own company. They called it loneliness. She knew it was freedom.” – f.e. marie
- “I'm a free spirit and that definitely comes from my upbringing, so it's definitely shaped me as an artist.” – Neon Hitch
- “Only when we find an adequate way of accounting for the “opaque” natural dimension in our subjectivity will it be possible to conceive of an embodied form of rational free spirit.” – Unknown
- “I want to live my life without filters. I don’t walk on egg shells. I say what I want and I’m a very free spirit.” – Demi Lovato
- “Here the free spirit of mankind, at length, Throws its last fetters off; and who shall place a limit to the giant’s unchained strength, or curb his swiftness in the forward race?” – William C. Bryant
- “I'm a free spirit, so if I am with someone it has to be a man who understands that, and not all men do.” – Marisa Berenson
- “Let me ensure that throughout life’s journey I do not create my own chains and shackles along the way – but to always freely express myself in all things as I should – and to become all that my true free spirit was destined to be.” ~ Eleesha
Let me ensure that throughout life’s journey I do not create my own chains and shackles along the way – but to always freely express myself in all things as I should – and to become all that my true free spirit was destined to be.” ~ Eleesha
- “I die, as I have lived, a free spirit, an Anarchist, owing no allegiance to rulers, heavenly or earthly.” – Voltairine de Cleyre
- “Dad was certainly a free spirit and had his own ways. He was very proud of my golf achievements but more proud of the person I've turned into. He brought me up to lead a very balanced life.” – Luke Donald
- “I think I'm like a free spirit.” – Bai Ling
- “I am living breathing freedom.” – Hiroko Sakai
- “We were a small group of weirdos and baby punks and gays and free spirits who had to use our imaginations a lot. We only saw pictures and read zines, so we could only interpret the aesthetic and message of punk scenes around the world. We were basically the duck-billed platypuses of punk.” – Beth Ditto
- “My mother pretty much raised me to be a free spirit. Anything my father would say, she would tell me, ‘No, it's like this.'” – Action Bronson
- “I am truly free to live life as I choose, not how others perceive I should. For it is only within such freedom of expression that I am able to find true solace, and emerge not just as I should – but as I am.” ~ Eleesha
- “The human spirit: Unbreakable. Relentless. Free.” – Garth Brooks
- “I don't call myself a Buddhist. I'm a free spirit. I believe I'm here on earth to admire and enjoy it; that's my religion.” – Alice Walker
- “I am a free spirit. I am very impulsive. I put the most trust in people chance after chance, regardless of how they treat me.” – Sasha Lane
- “My mother was a huge influence on me – she was a free spirit and helped me appreciate, from a very early age, that everyone is different.” – Christian Louboutin
- “I’m a free spirit who never had the balls to be free.” – Cheryl Strayed
- “Would you rather be right or free?” – Byron Katie
These free spirit quotes have shown just how diverse and interesting the world can be. They remind us that living differently can open doors to real happiness. And that being a free spirit should be celebrated, rather than judged or sneered at.
Living differently may come with its own set of challenges, but that doesn’t mean it should be avoided. It takes real courage to break away from the norm and allow yourself to grow in ways you never dreamed possible.
So go be different. Be free. And above all else, be happy.
For more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 45 Lazy People Quotes to Motivate Hard Work
- 51 Regret Quotes About the Mistakes of the Past
- 65 Fearless Quotes to Find Your Hidden Courage
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.