There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Did you know that helping others can lead to a happier, healthier you?
It’s true! When you lend someone a helping hand, you feel a lot better about yourself. It feels so rewarding because you know that you have contributed something very important to mankind.
Additionally, giving and helping allows you to build stronger connections with other people, especially those within your community. It improves relationships, leading everyone to have a better life. Helping others can be just as fulfilling as receiving help from someone else.
In this article, we have gathered the best community quotes that can inspire you to help those around you. With these quotes, we aim to help you realize how giving yourself and offering your help to others can bring out the best in you.
But before we proceed to our quotes, let us first share with you some reasons why reading these quotes is so important.
(Side note: Want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life? Then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success).
What You Will Learn
Why Read Community Quotes About Helping Others?
Kindness and compassion come from within. They are innate in all of us, and are part of what make us human.
However, there are moments in life when you question if it’s the right thing to do. Should you be kind? Should you be selfless? Should you help?
This is where these quotes come in. They are here to remind you that the answer is always “yes.” No matter how bad a person is or how toxic a situation becomes, you should always choose to help. These quotes serve as reminders that kindness is within you and that you should never hesitate to give it. Through your small act of thoughtfulness, you can help others realize that they, too, should give of themselves.
41 Quotes About Community to Help Others Around You
Now that we have established why it is important to read these quotes, let’s get to our list!
- “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” – Mother Teresa
- “Some people think they are in community, but they are only in proximity. True community requires commitment and openness. It is a willingness to extend yourself to encounter and know the other.” –David Spangler
- “The purpose of life is not to be happy, but to matter – to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all.” – Leo Rosten
- “What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.” – Kurt Vonnegut
- “Heroes didn't leap tall buildings or stop bullets with an outstretched hand; they didn't wear boots and capes. They bled, and they bruised, and their superpowers were as simple as listening, or loving. Heroes were ordinary people who knew that even if their own lives were impossibly knotted, they could untangle someone else's. And maybe that one act could lead someone to rescue you right back.” – Jodi Picoult
- “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “The world is so empty if one thinks only of mountains, rivers & cities; but to know someone who thinks & feels with us, & who, though distant, is close to us in spirit, this makes the earth for us an inhabited garden.” – Goethe
- “Volunteers don’t get paid, not because they’re worthless, but because they’re priceless.” – Sherry Anderson
- “There is immense power when a group of people with similar interests gets together to work toward the same goals.” – Idowu Koyenikan
- “We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.” – Herman Melville
- “Beauty is not who you are on the outside, it is the wisdom and time you gave away to save another struggling soul like you.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles; but today it means getting along with people.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “But many of us seek community solely to escape the fear of being alone. Knowing how to be solitary is central to the art of loving. When we can be alone, we can be with others without using them as a means of escape.” – Bell Hooks
- “Instead of drifting along like a leaf in a river, understand who you are and how you come across to people and what kind of an impact you have on the people around you and the community around you and the world, so that when you go out, you can feel you have made a positive difference.” – Jane Fonda
- “We have all known the long loneliness and we have learned that the only solution is love and that love comes with community.” – Dorothy Day
- “Well it seems to me, that all real communities grow out of a shared confrontation with survival. Communities are not produced by sentiment or mere goodwill. They grow out of a shared struggle. Our
- situation in the desert is an incubator for community.” – Larry Harvey
- “He who masters the power formed by a group of people working together has within his grasp one of the greatest powers known to man.” – Idowu Koyenikan
- “I used to be a classic workaholic, and after seeing how little work and career really mean when you reach the end of your life, I put a new emphasis on things I believe count more. These things include: family, friends, being part of a community, and appreciating the little joys of the average day.” – Mitch Albom
- “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” – H. Jackson Brown Jr.
- “We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community… Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.” – Cesar Chavez
- “An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.” – Martin Luther King
- “The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members.” – Coretta Scott King
- “I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “A healthy social life is found only when, in the mirror of each soul, the whole community finds its reflection, and when, in the whole community, the virtue of each one is living.” – Rudolf Steiner
- “Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “Without community service, we would not have a strong quality of life. It's important to the person who serves as well as the recipient. It's the way in which we ourselves grow and develop.” – Dorothy Height
- “Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” – Mark Twain
- “A true community is not just about being geographically close to someone or part of the same social web network. It's about feeling connected and responsible for what happens. Humanity is our ultimate community, and everyone plays a crucial role.” – Yehuda Berg
- “No man can become rich without himself enriching others.” – Andrew Carnegie
- “We must become bigger than we have been: more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community.” – Haile Selassie
- “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” – Oscar Wilde
- “I am a huge believer in giving back and helping out in the community and the world. Think globally, act locally I suppose. I believe that the measure of a person's life is the affect they have on others.” – Steve Nash
- “We are constituted so that simple acts of kindness, such as giving to charity or expressing gratitude, have a positive effect on our long-term moods. The key to the happy life, it seems, is the good life: a life with sustained relationships, challenging work, and connections to community.” – Paul Bloom
- “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” – Leo Buscaglia
- “The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” – Mitch Albom
- “I know there is strength in the differences between us. I know there is comfort, where we overlap.” – Ani DiFranco
- “It only takes one person to mobilize a community and inspire change. Even if you don't feel like you have it in you, it's in you. You have to believe in yourself. People will see your vision and passion and follow you.” – Teyonah Parris
- “We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value no matter what their color.” – Maya Angelou
- “Our generation has the ability and the responsibility to make our ever-more connected world a more hopeful, stable and peaceful place.” – Natalie Portman
- “One of the marvelous things about community is that it enables us to welcome and help people in a way we couldn’t as individuals. When we pool our strength and share the work and responsibility, we can welcome many people, even those in deep distress, and perhaps help them find self-confidence and inner healing.” – Jean Vanier
- “It is not more bigness that should be our goal. We must attempt, rather, to bring people back to the warmth of community, to the worth of individual effort and responsibility, and of individuals working together as a community, to better their lives and their children’s future.” – Robert F. Kennedy
Helping other people and giving service to them is not required of us. After all, we are all given free will to choose whether or not we’ll lend a hand. But regardless of how you have been treated in the past, it is always the best choice to help other people out.
Why? Because to help is human, and it’s one of the things that connects us.
We hope that these community quotes can inspire you to do good and be kind. Life is all about giving and offering ourselves in the service of mankind.
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.