There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Is anxiety a sin? What does the bible say about anxiety and fear?
Sometimes, fear and anxiety eat up all our energy. They take over lives for a period of time, leaving us with no other option but to cry and succumb to depression.
But feeling afraid and being anxious is never a sin. How can it be when you try your best every day just to have control over what you are feeling?
So during those times when anxiety attacks, how do you become happy?
There are a lot of ways to combat these negative feelings. One of them is to attend church services and read the Bible regularly. If you can’t control the things that stress you out, let go and let God.
In this article, we share with you 41 Bible verses about anxiety and fear, and how to overcome them. These words of wisdom and encouragement may help you reduce whatever negativity you are currently experiencing.
First, we give you a list of verses about fear.
What is the spirit of fear in the Bible? What does God say about it?
Let's get started.
- “Say to those with fearful hearts, ‘Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution, he will come to save you.’” – Isaiah 35:4
“Say to those with fearful hearts, ‘Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution, he will come to save you.’” – Isaiah 35:4
- “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” – Psalm 23:4
- “The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid?” – Psalm 27:1
- “You who fear him, trust in the Lord – he is their help and shield.” – Psalm 115:11
- “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous hand.” – Isaiah 41:10
- “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” – 2 Timothy 1:7
- “But even if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So don’t worry or be afraid of their threats.” – 1 Peter 3:14
- “Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.” – Proverbs 29:25
- “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” – 1 John 4:18
- “Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. Do no fear their threats; do not be frightened.” – 1 Peter 3:13-14
They say that courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the belief that something is more important than it. God says that, whether this is true or not, He will always be there, watching, to catch you if you fall.
Next, we provide you a list of Bible verses about anxiety and panic attacks that may eventually lead to depression. When your mental health becomes the central issue of your lack of faith, these Bible verses will surely make you realize how life can be happy despite all the challenges you may face.
- “When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.” – Psalm 94:19
- “Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groaning which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” – Romans 8:26-28
- “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” – 1 Peter 5:6-7
- “An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.” – Proverbs 12:25
- “The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand.” – Psalm 37:23-24
- “Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.” – Matthew 10:29-31
- “That the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” – 1 Peter 1:7
- “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” – Matthew 11:28-30
- “I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God.” – Psalm 40:1-3
- “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.” – Psalm 34:18-19
“The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.” – Psalm 34:18-19
Depression is not a joke—in fact, no mental issues are. It is an everyday battle that a diagnosed person has to face, with the help of people around him—and the Almighty.
Our third set of Bible quotes talks about worrying about the future. These texts will help you put more trust in the Lord and see that what He has planned for you is a perfect blueprint.
- “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.” – 1 Corinthians 16:13
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7
- “But Jesus looked at them and said to them, ‘With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’” – Matthew 19:26
- “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” – Jeremiah 29:11
- “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” – Matthew 6:34
- “The Lord will vindicate me; your love, Lord, endures forever – do not abandon the works of your hands.” – Psalms 138:8
- “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” – Romans 8:38-39
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all our ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” – Proverbs 3:5-6
- “The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” – Proverbs 16:9
- “Do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: they do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn, yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?” – Luke 12:22-26
We all deserve the best in life. No matter how many obstacles we face, God will always have the perfect plan for us. We are His children, and He is our creator—and no father would want His child to go astray.
Our last set is a list of scriptures on overcoming anxiety. Through them, you will be able to calm yourself during tough times. You will realize how one single Bible verse can turn the odds in your favor.
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
- “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” – Deuteronomy 31:6
- “Do not be afraid of them; the Lord your God himself will fight for you.” – Deuteronomy 3:22
- “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow – not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.” – Romans 8:38-39
- “Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.” – Psalm 55:22
- “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of thing not seen.” – Hebrews 11:1
- “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” – 1 Corinthians 10:13
- “Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’” – Hebrews 13:5
- “They who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” – Isaiah 40:31
- “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” – John 14:27
- “I lift my eyes to the mountains – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.” – Psalm 121:1-2
Final Thoughts on Bible Verses for Anxiety & Fear
Fear and anxiety can be your worst enemies. As previously mentioned, they can take over your life until you feel like you can’t get back on your feet anymore.
But that should not be the case. You are a child of God, born and molded to become a warrior—a victorious masterpiece. Put your trust in the Lord and believe that He will take away your pain.
Have you been feeling anxious and fearful lately? We’d love to hear about your experience. Feel free to share your story in the comments section below.
If you can relate to any of the quotes and affirmations stated above, we’d love to know which one!
Maybe you like one or more of the images. If so, you may share them through your favorite social media platform! We would greatly appreciate it!
We hope that, with these Bible verses, we were able to somehow help you reduce your anxiety and fears. Perhaps they will even help you change and improve your life’s potential.
And if you want to see more bible verses to help with specific challenges in your life, then check out these articles:
- 55 Bible Verses on Gratitude and Being More Thankful
- 31 Bible Verses About Not Giving Up
- 51 Bible Verses About Living Life with Purpose
Finally, if you want a simple way to reduce your stress and anxiety, then try writing these 35 mindfulness journaling prompts to live more in the present moment.