There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
When you become a grandparent, you’ve reached a special milestone in your life. Forming a bond with your grandchildren is something they will take with them for the rest of their lives.
And of course, it's something that will bring any grandparent joy. Having a granddaughter is especially sweet. After all, you now have yet another little girl to spoil and love into adulthood.
However, like any child, your granddaughter may experience special challenges in a world that is becoming increasingly competitive and ruled by social media likes. That's why it's important as a grandparent to shower your granddaughter with as much love and support as possible.
Never underestimate how special your words of encouragement are from a young age. While I am well into adulthood, I remember like it was yesterday… my grandmother running her hands down my hair, repeatedly telling me how pretty I was.
She said it in such a way that was so sweet and endearing. I, like many young girls, had insecurities about my nose, the occasional pimple, and other body parts.
With that said, let's dive further into what words of encouragement for granddaughter are. These words and phrases can help you instill pride, joy and confidence into your beloved granddaughter.
What Are Words of Encouragement?
Words of encouragement are any words, phrases, or statements that are positive. The main point is to help them with confidence and motivate them in their goals. It's yet another way to give them the support they need and is a verbal reminder of the love you have for them.
When little kids are starting out in the world, they can go through a range of emotions as they learn and grow. With grandparents guiding them, little kids will push further to learn more things. This encouragement is especially needed when your granddaughter reaches her teen years.
It's no secret that being a teenager can be rough. There's a lot of peer pressure for kids that age to conform to what all the other kids are doing. Kids are expected to look and dress a certain way, and of course, let's not forget the mounting pressures of social media.
Having thousands of “friends” on Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok is now the measuring stick for being popular.
Let's not forget cyberbullying. Back when I was in school, you might get picked on at the schoolyard or at recess, and maybe on the way home. But once you got home, there was no room for the bully to enter.
Unfortunately, now with social media and kids having smartphones for texting, it's so easy for your unsuspecting granddaughter to be the victim of other mean girls, and possibly boys.
If she becomes the object of teasing and bullying, the love of her grandparents and others will certainly come in handy to make sure she stays strong and understands who she is.
How to Deliver Words of Encouragement
As a grandparent, you may wonder what the best way is to provide such words of encouragement to your grandchild. If you have regular calls with your grandchildren, tell them over the phone how much you love them.
Tell your granddaughter she's smart, she's pretty, she's talented, or anything else you can think of. Don't worry, we have several phrases below to help get you started.
As a kid, I was always excited about receiving those birthday cards or Christmas cards from my grandparents that usually had a little bit of money tucked in. Well, guess what? You can still send a beautiful card to your granddaughter at any age. Include a beautiful word or phrase of support along with whatever pre-written messages are inside the card.
Does your granddaughter also enjoy texting and other forms of communication like e-mail? Well, that's another opportunity to find creative ways to give her daily, weekly and ongoing encouragement. Send her a random text with a phrase of support.
If she has a hard test coming up, let her know that she's smart and if she can do it. Did she not make the cheerleading team? Let her know that it's OK to fail but she could always try again or try out for another team or activity.
You can even get more creative and put together some of your words and encouragement together in a homemade scrapbook. Maybe find some old photos of your granddaughter along with newer ones and write some phrases and notes under each one on different pages.
It'll be a special gift that she is sure to remember for the rest of her life.
Why Words of Encouragement are Important for Your Granddaughter
Don't get me wrong, your grandsons need support too! However, girls are more emotional and verbal than boys, so they're going to need a little extra dose of encouragement as they grow older. We live in a society where women are judged on their looks and their bodies from a very young age.
Let's face it, the cuter and prettier a girl is, the more attention and support she receives from everyone ranging from teachers to family to perfect strangers. Even those pretty girls are under pressure to confirm and stay in a certain box.
Regardless of appearance and social acceptance, your granddaughter will need sincere support from those who love her. Who better to do so than grandma and grandpa?
As mentioned earlier, the world of social media has made it virtually impossible for anyone to escape constant judgment and comparisons to other people.
Teen girls are extra susceptible to such comparisons. Their minds, bodies, and experiences are still developing, and they may not have the gravitas to understand everything they see online isn't always true.
For example, they may not understand that many photos are altered, so people aren’t always as skinny and well put together in real life as they are in a photo. That can put undue stress on a young, growing girl who may be going through teenage awkwardness and puberty.
Even the best and the brightest of your young girls may have insecurities from time to time. That's why it's important to constantly give them encouragement. Depression and stress amongst the teen population is real and can sometimes result in fatal consequences.
Being shy certainly doesn't help in such an extroverted country such as the United States. I should know, since I myself was a very shy, quiet but intellectually and creatively strong kid. Luckily, I had teachers who encouraged me to speak and wanted to hear my voice in class.
Plus, I also had parents who encouraged me in my artistic and intellectual pursuits and always welcomed my insights on things. Their encouragement helped me to develop into the adventurous but still slightly introverted woman I am today!
Now you have some insight into how important it is to encourage the kids in your life, especially your granddaughters. Here are some words of encouragement to help you get started.
46 Words of Encouragement for Granddaughter
1. You are the CEO of your life, so take charge of it.
2. Making mistakes doesn't make you a bad person.
3. Never giving up is one of your standout traits.
4. You are more than your appearance.
5. I hope you understand how you positively affect people in ways you don't even realize.
I hope you understand how you positively affect people in ways you don't even realize.”
6. You're on the path to creating an amazing future.
7. Always carry yourself with the dignity you have now.
8. Don't ask for anyone's permission to live your life as you please.
9. It's okay to not know what you want in life.
10. Your dreams matter and may change the world one day.
11. Risks can help you grow as a person, and I am so glad you're not afraid to take them.
12. It's okay to have a different idea of success from other people or society as a whole.
13. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself, no matter who you are going against.
14. You can choose your path in life and create something special. I'm sure you'll rise to the challenge.
15. You can have an impact on the world, so use it wisely.
16. You don't need anyone's validation or approval to feel worthy.
You don't need anyone's validation or approval to feel worthy.”
17. Everyday, I see how you take steps to achieve your goals.
18. Being open to experiences can lead to unexpected opportunities.
19. You are capable of anything that you put your mind to.
20. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you and inspire you to be better every day.
21. Your mistakes don't define you and neither do your successes.
22. Being a good loser is as important as being a good winner
23. Always believe in yourself and trust the process.
24. No matter how hard life gets, always remain positive because it will get better with time.
25. You are capable of making a difference in the world, so don't be afraid to take the first step.
26. It's okay to ask for help if you need it; no one is perfect, and everyone needs support sometimes.
27. Focus on your strengths, rather than dwelling on your weaknesses or comparing yourself to others.
28. Be mindful of your personal achievements, even if others don't acknowledge them.
29. Find solace in knowing that things will get better with time and effort from your side.
Find solace in knowing that things will get better with time and effort from your side.”
30. It's okay to change course in your life if something isn't working out.
31. You can learn as much from your failure as from your success, so stay humble and keep learning.
32. Have faith in yourself even at your lowest point.
33. Surround yourself with people who are rooting for your success and help lift you up when needed.
34. Always respect yourself and others around you.
35. Always enjoy the process as much as the outcome.
36. Don't blame others for the decisions you willingly make.
37. Be brave enough to face your fears and take risks.
38. Comparing yourself with others is a waste of time. You can only be yourself.
39. You don't have to settle, it’s okay to reach for higher goals even if others don't agree.
40. Your inner strength and determination shine through in everything you do.
Your inner strength and determination shine through in everything you do.”
41. Don't focus on the approval of others, especially if it means changing who you are.
42. Take pride in everything that you do, no matter how small it may seem.
43. You are so blessed and have been a blessing to your family and friends.
44. You have the strength and talent to turn your failure into an opportunity for growth.
45. It's OK, to be different. Most of the world's greatest inventions were made by people who were different than others.
46.Take up space with pride. You are worthy of being seen.
Final Thoughts About Words of Encouragement
Don't ever forget how much your granddaughter needs you.
I don't care if she's the head cheerleader, captain of the yearbook team, an artist, a YouTube star, or a shy and quiet girl that doesn’t give anyone problems… it’s important to give her as much encouragement as you can. As a grandparent, you play a crucial and special role in your granddaughter's life.
One day after you pass, she'll remember all the beautiful things you said to her. Even if she doesn't always remember the exact words as they are, she will remember how you made her feel.
Whether she receives a beautiful random text after a long day, cute musical card telling her how amazing she is, or a post-it note on her vanity mirror… those words of encouragement can make her day or impact her life.
For more guidance, check out these articles:
- 65 Words of Encouragement for Teenagers to Inspire Their Success
- 35 Comforting Words of Encouragement for a Friend in Need
- 85 Positive Words of Encouragement for Students