There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Are you looking for the right self-discovery questions to use as journal prompts?
Journaling is one of the most powerful ways to understand yourself. It connects you to your inner core, helping you determine what you really want and what you actually need in life.
One good way to do journaling right is by answering self-discovery prompts. In this way, you are able to unlock your hidden potential. You also get the chance to clear your mind so you can more easily attain your goals.
Self-Discovery Questions to Answer In Your Journal
In this article, we present 111 self-discovery questions that you can write and answer in your journal. Bring out the best in you and learn how to become a better, happier writer.
- Who am I?
- What are my values?
- What matters the most to me?
- What is my purpose in life?
- What is my personality type?
- What does it mean to have a “good life?”
- Where does self-worth come from?
- What do I need right now, more than anything else?
- What are the things I need to improve and work on?
- Am I completely and truly free?
- Which three words describe me best?
- Why do I resist change?
- Which do I value more—intelligence or wisdom?
- What is my definition of success?
- What are the things that worry me, and what do I do to let go of them?
- What are my gifts?
- How do I contribute to society?
- How do I define work-life balance?
- How do I move past unpleasant thoughts or experiences?
- Do I desire to be in a position of power?
- What is the best book I have read and why?
- When I'm in physical or emotional pain, what are the things that I can do for myself?
- What types of topics do I tend to avoid?
- What is a big goal that I would like to achieve in my life?
- What keeps me awake at night?
- How important is health in my day-to-day life?
- Who are my top go-to friends or family members?
- What are the top 10 things I am most grateful for?
- Is everything in my life going too fast, too slow, or just right?
- Do I often feel jealous or envious?
- What do I admire most about myself?
- How do I feel about my last mistake, and what did I learn from it?
- What do I imagine my future self to be like?
- What makes me happy and relaxed?
- What makes me feel motivated, inspired, and excited?
- How much of your time do you spend online?
- What are the things that get in the way of my happiness?
- What is it that I can’t let go of? What is holding me back from letting go?
- Why do I resist doing what's good for me?
- What does the perfect day look like?
- Do I have unfinished business with someone?
- How do you measure the productivity of the day?
- If I could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
- Where am I when it comes to being calm in challenging situations? What do I need to do to have more peace in my life?
- Do I value my personal privacy?
- If I could redo yesterday, what would I do differently?
- How much personal time do I need each week to function well and feel happy?
- How many kinds of love have I given or received?
- Have I been holding myself back? How can I change that?
- Am I self-sabotaging?
- How would I like to be remembered?
- What are my spiritual beliefs?
- Is there something that's troubling me today?
- What brings me joy?
- What is my biggest accomplishment to date?
- In the next 5 years, what do I expect my life to look like?
- What motivates me to get up in the morning?
- What is my favorite memory from childhood?
- Thinking of what challenges me most, how can I meet that challenge?
- How do I handle the main struggle I'm currently facing?
- Why is my favorite hobby my favorite?
- How do I discover what makes me feel confident?
- Am I holding onto something I need to let go of in my life?
- What am I avoiding that could make my life better?
- Am I ready to learn and grow professionally?
- What is something I want to teach?
- If I take a step outside my comfort zone this year, what will that look like?
- What is the movie that influenced me the most?
- Where does my passion lie, and what can I do about it?
- What is something I would never compromise on?
- How will I be remembered when my life is over?
- What is a goal I've been putting off?
- What is my biggest regret?
- How can I become more grateful for small blessings?
- Am I embracing or resisting what makes me unique?
- What is my favorite place in the world?
- Is there something I wish I had more of?
- How can I personally improve myself?
- What is the most difficult decision I've had to make?
- What is a skill I want to develop?
- What is a weakness I should overcome?
- What is a strength I want to strengthen more?
- Is there something in my life I need to forgive myself for?
- What is something I need to forgive someone else for?
- Who inspires me?
- What is something that makes me feel alive?
- How do my past mistakes help me achieve success?
- What is something I wish I could change?
- Is there a relationship I need to let go of?
- Is there a relationship I want to strengthen?
- What makes me feel afraid?
- What is something I'm excited about trying?
- What is the one thing I want to experience in my lifetime?
- If I could give something back to the world, what would it be?
- What is a personal goal I have for myself?
- If I could contribute one thing to my community, what would it be?
- What is the biggest challenge to my beliefs?
- What am I most proud of?
- Is there something I need to say to someone?
- How do I find peace in my soul?
- Do I have a habit I want to form?
- Is there a habit I want to break?
- How can I maximize the time I have each day?
- Am I holding onto a limiting belief?
- Is there a belief I want to adopt?
- What is something that I'm more curious about than anything else?
- What is something I'm ashamed of?
- How can I best embrace change in my life?
- What is a memory that brings up strong emotions?
- How can I challenge myself to be better today than I was yesterday?
- How can I show kindness to someone today?
If you understand yourself, you are better able make sense of the things around you. You learn how to sympathize, and you open your mind to endless possibilities.
Because you understand the world around you, you become more capable of connecting with other people. It is easier to identify with other people’s feelings if you understand your own.
We hope that the self-discovery questions we shared above will help you to deepen your journaling practice and learn more about yourself. If you have more time, you can always go deeper and create your own prompts to make your journaling exercise even more exciting.
Finally, one proven way to improve your happiness and life satisfaction is to focus on goals that truly matter. To get started, check out this FREE printable worksheet and a step-by-step process that will help you set effective SMART goals.
Life is a never-ending search for ultimate happiness. Keep on writing, and keep on discovering.
And if you want more interesting questions to ask, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 129 Existential Questions for a Fun Philosophical Conversation
- 21 Mindfulness Check In Questions to Ask Yourself
- 103 This or That Questions to Ask a Girl to Know Her Better