There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
It’s good to have goals, to have hopes, and aspirations. For most of us, this starts at a young age, with dreams of being a fireman or a famous rockstar.
And as we grow older, that big promotion and nice house top the wish list, bringing with it the hustle and bustle of a 9-5 life. Days turn into weeks and weeks into months, with scrambled holidays to break up the relentless groundhog day saga.
And for the most, we embrace the constant rush to live, clutching at it like a comfy blanket that's warm with familiarity. As the years pass, we continue to drum the same beat, with progress always being the priority.
That is until someone sees the pressures we face and gently reminds us to “Take it one day at a time”. And these are probably the most useful words you’ll ever hear.
Stop. Take a moment. And enjoy the life you’re living. The path you've chosen will still be there. But by adopting a day-by-day mindset, the journey will be a much happier one.
What You Will Learn
Achievements tend to focus only on the finish line and not the road you took to get there. The small successes get brushed aside, and any enjoyment is lost, like a single snowflake in the storm.
But what if we broke down those challenges into smaller, more realistic steps? What if we took it one day at a time and took pride in all we achieved?
For example, did you take the stairs instead of the lift? That’s 30-something steps closer to your 10,000 daily step goals. Or maybe you signed up for an online course? That’s the start of your new career.
Breaking down your expectations, your problems, or your ambitions is a positive step forward in itself. It allows you to appreciate the smaller things. And be mindful of your surroundings and the energy you expel.
By taking things just one day at a time, the unnecessary weight you carry around will lighten. Each new day will feel fresh rather than a continuation of yesterday’s struggle. And decisions can be made calmly, without the long-term pressures you’ve felt.
These 71 one day at a time quotes to make consistent progress will help you understand the importance of living in the moment. Remember to take things day by day, and embrace your achievements, both big and small.
71 One Day at a Time Quotes to Make Consistent Progress
- “The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “The future comes one day at a time [so don't fear and try to solve all the worries and problems of the future today].” – Dean Acheson
- “Now I'm starting, relatively, to think straight again. I live one day at a time, one hour at a time. What makes it all worthwhile is my children.” – Paula Yates
- “Wholeheartedly do what it takes to awaken your clear-seeing intelligence, but one day at a time, one moment at a time. If we live that way, we will benefit this earth.” – Pema Chodron
- “Be happy in the moment, that's enough. Each moment is all we need, not more.” – Mother Teresa
- “Big achievements come one small advantage at a time, one step at a time, one day at a time.” – Jim Rohn
- “There is magic in knocking down your most important domino day after day. All you have to do is avoid breaking the chain, one day at a time until you generate a powerful new habit in your life.” – Gary W. Keller
- “The road to recovery will not always be easy, but I will take it one day at a time, focusing on the moments I've dreamed about for so long.” – Amanda Lindhout
- “Take it all one day at a time and enjoy the journey.” – Kristi Bartlett
- “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.” – Robert Collier
- “I never have planned a whole lot of future. It’s one day at a time.” – Darrell Royal
- “I'm still growing I take each day, one day-at-a-time. I'm always thinking and dreaming. As long as this heart keeps beating, there will be new things coming along.” – Roy Haynes
- “At different times in my life, I've made grand statements like, ‘I want these many kids, and I want them by this age.' I think, with every year that goes by, I accept that I don't know when it's going to happen or how it's going to happen. I'll just take it one day at a time, and when I'm ready, I'll be ready. It'll reveal itself, I guess.” – America Ferrera
- “Success happens one day at a time… Day after day… Consistency wins the race in the end…” – Brad Sugars
- “If people just took it a day at a time, they'd be a lot happier.” – Richard Bachman
- “I remind myself everyday just how lucky I am to do what I love! I feel so fortunate and I'm just trying to take my life one day at a time.” – Misty Copeland
- “I try to live my life one day at a time, and if I look too far in advance, I get really stressed.” – Hope Solo
- “Live one day at a time and make it a masterpiece.” – Dale West
- “My motivation is tomorrow, just one day at a time, right?” – Rafael Nadal
- “The future comes one day at a time [so don’t fear and try to solve all the worries and problems of the future today].” – Dean Acheson
- “One part at a time, one day at a time, we can accomplish any goal we set for ourselves.” – Karen Casey
- “I can't promise you that you'll ever live in a world where people don't hurt your feelings. But I can promise you that if you keep on moving and taking one day at a time, the opinions and words of people who hurt you will matter less and less to you.” – Taylor Swift
- “The whole idea is you can't sit around and do nothing. You have to get up and start living one day at a time. That's what I did my entire career. You can't sit around and say, ‘Oh, poor me. Nobody likes me. Nobody is giving me a job.' You have to get up and go. If you sit at home and do nothing, that is what is going to happen.” – Darlene Love
- “Take life one day at a time because every day is a different day with new challenges.” – Penny Streeter
- “You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time.” – Day Marie Lu
- “I believe that the best way to prepare for a Future Life is to be kind, live one day at a time, and do the work you can do best, doing it as well as you can.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “Quit worrying about how everything is going to turn out. Live one day at a time; better yet, make the most of this moment.” – Joel Osteen
- “The way I do things is I take it one day at a time. Don't try to put too much pressure or stress on myself figuring out what somebody else is going to do. Just worry about what I got to do.” – Trevor Ariza
- “The road to recovery will not always be easy, but I will take it one day at a time.” – Amanda Lindhout
- “Big things are built one brick at a time. Victories are achieved one choice at a time. A life well-lived is chosen one day at a time.” – Lysa TerKeurst
- “No matter how difficult your situation is, you can get through it if you don’t look too far into the future, and focus on the present moment. You can get through anything one day at a time.” – Bob Parsons
- “I’ll never worry about not being successful. I’ll just take it one day at a time, one season at a time. And play as hard as I can.” – Bo Jackson
- “Everybody is looking for instant success, but it doesn’t work that way. You build a successful life one day at a time.” – Lou Holtz
- “Quit worrying about how everything is going to turn out. Live one day at a time; better yet, make the most of this moment.” – Hannibal Buress
- “Don't let fear rule your life. Live one day at a time, and never be afraid.” – Tammy Faye Bakker
Don't let fear rule your life. Live one day at a time, and never be afraid.” – Tammy Faye Bakker
- “I still follow that model: just go hard every day, and take it one step at a time.” – Ace Hood
- “Live one day at a time, and never be afraid.” – Tammy Faye Bakker
- “You don't look at the big problem all together, because I think it's a little intimidating. So you just take it one day at a time, meet the people who are going to meet with you, for you, and who you're going to work for, and really try to do the best job that you can. That's all teamwork, and that's what space travel is about.” – Sunita Williams
- “I remind myself every day just how lucky I am to do what I love! I feel so fortunate and I’m just trying to take my life one day at a time.” – Misty Copeland
- “A good friend of mine once told me that each morning when you wake up, think about winning the day. Don’t worry about a week from now or a month from now – just think about one day at a time. If you are worried about the mountain in the distance, you might trip over the molehill right in front of you. Win the day!” – Drew Brees
- “When you wake up, think about winning the day. Don’t worry about a week or a month from now — just think about one day at a time.” – Drew Brees
- “Do one thing at a time and do that one thing as if your life depended upon it.” – Eugene Grace
- “Dream big, my friend, and never give up. We all make mistakes, but none of us are mistakes. Take one day at a time. Embrace the positive attitudes, perspectives, principles, and truths I share, and you, too, will overcome.” – Nick Vujicic
- “Take it one day at a time. Then break that day into small steps. Then focus only on getting the first step all the way to done. And then the next step. That’s how you get the things that matter done every day.” – Unknown
- “One day at a time is all we do. One day at a time is good for you.” – John Lennon
- “Live your life to the fullest. In each waking day, you will find scores of blessings and opportunities for positive change. Do not let your today be stolen by the unchangeable past or the indefinite future! Today is a new day!” – Steve Maraboli
- “Take one step at a time. A complex problem can be overwhelming, even when you’ve got your plan mapped out, but remember: the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Just focus on one small goal at a time.” – Dr Anil Kr Sinha
- “I am setting myself free one day at a time. I am loving myself in a way I deserve one day at a time. I am being truer to myself than ever before one day at a time. I am healing. I am deepening, I am living… One day at a time.” – S.C Lourie
- “A lot of things have been thrown at me in life, and I’ve got through it all without a rule book, taking it one day at a time.” – Yoko Ono
- “Every day is about growing and evolving, and each day I just take it one day at a time and embrace it as it comes.” – Trina
- “Take life on life's terms – one day at a time. And have fun while you're doing it.” – Joe Perry
- “We can't rewind the past, nor fast-forward the future, so today, all we can do is play, record, pause and keep moving, until something should press the stop button.” – Anthony Liccione
- “One of the best tips to build a good today is to focus only on today. That singular focus makes it a lot easier to find and create the success you want.” – Unknown
- “Always remember that the future comes one day at a time.” – Dean Acheson
- “All we can do is try, do our best. Give as much time as we have to give, one day at a time. One breath at a time.” – Jasinda Wilder
- “One day, you will wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you've always wanted. Do it now.” – Paulo Coelho
- “Don’t look too far into the future, just look at tomorrow. One day at a time. Can you win tomorrow? Can you make progress? The answer is yes, you have a choice and tomorrow you’re going to win.” – Joe Wicks
- “Life turns on a dime. have no idea what tomorrow will bring… sure life would be a lot easier if we knew what was going to happen. You've got to live by faith one day at a time.” – Eddie Guerrero
- “I just take it one day at a time, try to forget about what I did the day before. Go out there like every day is Opening Day.” – Aaron Judge
- “One breath at a time. One day at a time. Wake up, and be shredded. Cry for a while. Then stop crying and go about your day. You're not okay, but you're alive, and you will be okay, someday. – Jasinda Wilder
- “Life is simply a collection of little lives, each lived one day at a time.” – Nicholas Sparks
- “Drink life one sip at a time. This moment is brand new. Let it pour it's newness into you.” – Hiral Nagda
- “I believe in one day at a time; you've got TODAY, that's what you' ve got.” – Al Pacino
- “The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next.” – Mignon McLaughlin
- “It's a waste of time to think about what I should have done and what I didn't. I really believe in that. That's how I react to the if-onlys of life. To moan and groan about something I shouldn't have done, could have done, might have done…who knows? It is what it is. You got what you got. I live my life one day at a time.” – Liza Minnelli
- “There’s no straighter road to success than exceeding expectations one day at a time.” – Robin Crow
- “Time is what we want most, but what we use worst.” – William Penn
- “Do your best, one day at a time. That’s good enough.” – Donna Goddard
- “When you wake up, think about winning the day. Don't worry about a week or a month from now — just think about one day at a time.” – Drew Brees
- “I live one day at a time. I dream one dream at a time. Yesterday's dead, and tomorrow is blind. And I live one day at a time.” – Joan Baez
- “Where I am today… I still have my ups and downs, but I take it one day at a time and I just hope that I can be the best that I can possibly be, not only for myself, but also young people that are out there today that need someone to look up to.” – Demi Lovato
By choosing to take life one day at a time, you’re actively deciding to better your health, both emotionally and physically. You’re saying no to the never-ending cycle of pressure and enabling a calmer, happier mindset.
Your decision to take things day by day will enrich your life, giving you more opportunities to enjoy the moments you create, and, worry less about the ones you’ve not yet reached.
Start each day positively with these Daily Mantras for Happiness, Love, Positivity & Wellbeing. And enjoy life, one day at a time.
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.