There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Paulo Coelho's quotes have a way to make you think deep thoughts, get inspired and lift your spirits. Few authors have made as much of an impact on modern literature as prolific Brazilian novelist Paulo Coelho.
You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who hasn't heard of this amazing writer's famous novel “The Alchemist” – and the profound words it contains.
But Coelho's brilliance is no secret; his writing has resonated with readers all over the world for decades, offering life-altering lessons along with a healthy dose of wit and humor. From thought-provoking musings to wise proverbs that make us reconsider our lives, we bring you 99 Paulo Coelho quotes!
Get inspired and uplifted reading about themes like love, courage, loneliness, and destiny — here are some truly powerful statements from one of the greatest writers ever known!
Who is Paulo Coelho?
Wikipedia might call Paulo Coelho an “author” but his many fans like to think of him as a modern-day alchemist.
Best known for such novels as Brida, Eleven Minutes and, yes, The Alchemist. Paolo magically transforms typical life experiences into the extraordinary, and in doing so has become a literary luminary. Introducing readers to faraway places and powerful agents, Paulo beckons us all on an enchanting journey of enlightenment.
Love these Paulo Coelho Quotes? Check out his books:
Paulo Coelho Quotes on Life
Paulo Coelho is often cited as a go-to source of profoundness when it comes to life lessons, and for good reason. The Brazilian lyricist is known for his timeless quotes about living our lives with passion and purpose.
Whether you're looking for nuggets of wisdom to hold onto in times of difficulty or just need some inspiration to kickstart your journey, Paulo Coelho's quotes on life will fill the bill.
With his thoughtful musings on courage, freedom, and love, Paulo Coelho can be counted on to help inspire us to live life to its fullest.
- “The secret of life is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.”
- “The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see them.”
- “Life has a way of testing a person’s will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen at once.”
- “It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
- “Life is too short, or too long, for me to allow myself the luxury of living it so badly.”
- “One day you will wake up and there won’t be any more time to do the things you’ve always wanted. Do it now.”
- “Waiting is painful. Forgetting is painful. But not knowing which to do is the worst kind of suffering.”
- “You are what you believe yourself to be.”
- “Don't waste your time with explanations: people only hear what they want to hear.”
- “Never explain. Your friends won’t need it. And haters will continue to hate (because they also hate themselves).”
- “A life without a cause is a life without effect.”
- “Accept what life offers you and try to drink from every cup. All wines should be tasted; some should only be sipped, but with others, drink the whole bottle.”
- “When I had nothing to lose, I had everything. When I stopped being who I am, I found myself.”
- “Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
- “When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not yet ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.”
- “People want to change everything and, at the same time, want it all to remain the same.”
- “Life always waits for some crisis to occur before revealing itself at its most brilliant.”
Paulo Coelho Quotes to Make You Think
These Paulo Coelho quotes pack an insightful punch that leaves you thinking and giving you plenty of food for thought.
Some of these deep quotes are veritable brain teasers, sometimes leaving readers with more questions than answers. But they also provide incredible insight into the inner workings of the human psyche.
Whether they leave you inspired or curious, these Paulo Coelho's quotes have something to offer everyone.
- “No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn't know it.”
- “We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.”
- “Tears are words that need to be written.”
- “No one can lie, no one can hide anything, when he looks directly into someone’s eyes.”
- “Nothing in the world is ever completely wrong. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.”
- “You’re always learning. The problem is, sometimes you stop and think you understand the world. This is not correct. The world is always moving. You never reach the point where you can stop making an effort.”
- “None of us knows what might happen even the next minute, yet still we go forward. Because we trust. Because we have Faith.”
- “Intuition is really a sudden immersion of the soul into the universal current of life
- “We are travelers on a cosmic journey, stardust, swirling and dancing in the eddies and whirlpools of infinity. Life is eternal. We have stopped for a moment to encounter each other, to meet, to love, to share. This is a precious moment. It is a little parenthesis in eternity.”
- “When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.”
When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.”
- “Your eyes show the strength of your soul.”
- “Men think more about returning home than about leaving.”
- “God only rarely reveals the future. When he does so, it is for one reason: it's a future that was written so as to be altered.”
- “What's the world's greatest lie?… It's this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate.”
- “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.”
Paulo Coelho Love Quotes
Paulo Coelho sure had a way with words! He has harnessed the power of love in all its forms, from romantic to spiritual, and expressed his profound thoughts and insights into it through the gift of words.
His love quotes range from casual and uplifting to thought-provoking and contemplative—all of them perfectly capturing the essence of love. Whether you need a little daily inspiration or are looking for something deeper to think about, you will love these love quotes.
- “Love is an untamed force. When we try to control it, it destroys us. When we try to imprison it, it enslaves us. When we try to understand it, it leaves us feeling lost and confused.”
- “The strongest love is the love that can demonstrate its fragility.”
- “One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.”
- “Keeping passion at bay or surrendering blindly to it – which of these two attitudes is the least destructive? I don’t know.”
- “When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.”
- “You must understand that love never keeps a man from pursuing his personal legend. If he abandons that pursuit, it’s because it wasn’t a true love… The love that speaks the language of the world.”
- “Anyone who loves in the expectation of being loved in return is wasting their time.”
- “Every blessing ignored becomes a curse.”
- “The moment we begin to seek love, love begins to seek us. And to save us.”
- “In real life, love has to be possible. Even if it is not returned right away, love can only survive when the hope exists that you will be able to win over the person you desire.”
- “Love is a trap. When it appears, we see only its light, not its shadows.”
- “So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.”
Paulo Coelho dream quotes show us the link between dreams and action. He encourages readers to take initiative in order to achieve their dreams.
His words are witty, wise, and often capture just the right sentiment that gives us a mental nudge when needed. His ability to tap into our inner emotional world, by reaching out with thoughtful quotes about dreams presents an inspiring vision for living life fearlessly.
Whether we are discovering or nurturing a dream, Paulo Coelho's words can help lead you down the path of self-realization.
- “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
- “We must never stop dreaming. Dreams provide nourishment for the soul, just as a meal does for the body.”
- “People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.”
- “The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter.”
- “I can choose either to be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It's all a question of how I view my life.”
- “If you want to see a rainbow you have to learn to see the rain.”
- “Remember your dreams and fight for them. You must know what you want from life.”
- “Miracles only happen if you believe in miracles.”
Paulo Coelho's success quotes often emphasize the importance of determination and hard work, urging us to never give up on our dreams no matter how difficult they may seem. He teaches us that success doesn't come easy, but with a bit of courage and resilience, it can be achieved regardless of obstacles in our way.
In true Paulo Coelho style, his success quotes are full of wit and wisdom that not only inspires but motivates us to keep pushing forward to realize our goals.
- “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
- “The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.”
- “The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people’s opinions.”
- “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.”
- “Everything that happens once can never happen again. But everything that happens twice will surely happen a third time.”
Everything that happens once can never happen again. But everything that happens twice will surely happen a third time.”
- “Fortunate are those who take the first steps.”
- “Don't listen to the malicious comments of those friends who, never taking any risks themselves, can only see other people's failures.”
- “If you start out by promising what you don't even have yet, you'll lose your desire to work toward getting it.”
- “Talent is a universal gift, but it takes a lot of courage to use it. Don’t be afraid to be the best.”
- “Everything tells me that I am about to make a wrong decision, but making mistakes is just part of life. What does the world want of me? Does it want me to take no risks, to go back to where I came from because I didn’t have the courage to say “yes” to life?”
- “Those who never take risks can only see other people’s failures.”
Paulo Coelho is a master at capturing our common fears in vivid imagery, often seen in his popular books and stories.
Whether it's the fear of growing old, the fear of making mistakes, or the fear of being alone, Coelho has something to say about it all. His witty quotes plant a thought in our minds, challenging us to take control of our lives and make decisions we can be proud of.
So, no matter how frightening life may seem at times, Paulo Coelho's words invite us to be brave and seize all opportunities that come our way.
- “You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it's better to listen to what it has to say. That way, you'll never have to fear an unanticipated blow.”
- “Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.”
- “When you find your path, you must not be afraid. You need to have sufficient courage to make mistakes. Disappointment, defeat, and despair are the tools God uses to show us the way.”
- “Don't give in to your fears. If you do, you won't be able to talk to your heart.”
- “There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them. But they are there for a reason. Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there.”
- “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal.”
- “Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”
- “How much I missed, simply because I was afraid of missing it.”
Paulo Coelho's wise words about happiness have become something of a legend among readers. His thoughts evoke an appreciation for the simple joys of life that often get overlooked in our daily hustle and bustle.
These happiness quotes are infused with the perfect combination of intelligence, wit, and lightheartedness, giving us all a much-needed perspective shifts when it comes to happiness.
Undoubtedly, Paulo’s musings are reminders that no matter how complex life can seem at times, moments of delight await us all.
- “Happiness is something that multiplies when it is divided.”
- “Sometimes you have to travel a long way to find what is near.”
- “A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.”
- “Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure.”
- “After all, what is happiness? Love, they tell me. But love doesn’t bring and never has brought happiness. On the contrary, it’s a constant state of anxiety, a battlefield; it’s sleepless nights, asking ourselves all the time if we’re doing the right thing. Real love is composed of ecstasy and agony.”
- “When each day is the same as the next, it's because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises.”
- “The danger of an adventure is worth a thousand days of ease and comfort.”
- “I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man. Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we’re living now.”
I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man. Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we’re living now.”
- “It said that all people who are happy have God within them.”
Paulo Coelho's motivational quotes have provided much-needed guidance and inspiration for many over the years. Each quote is like a burst of inspiration, providing just enough of a spark to get you through a difficult day or inspire you to tackle life with gusto.
- “Don’t allow your mind to tell your heart what to do. The mind gives up easily.”
- “You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it.”
- “Travel is never a matter of money but of courage.”
- “We always know which is the best road to follow, but we follow only the road that we have become accustomed to.”
- “No matter how you feel today, get up, dress up and show up.”
- “It’s what you do in the present that will redeem the past and thereby change the future.”
- “You have to take risks. We will only understand the miracle of life fully when we allow the unexpected to happen.”
- “Everyone on earth has a treasure that awaits him.”
- “When you can't go back, you have to worry only about the best way of moving forward.”
- “Whenever you want to achieve something, keep your eyes open, concentrate, and make sure you know exactly what it is you want. No one can hit their target with their eyes closed.”
- “To realize one's destiny is a person's only real obligation.”
- “No one loses anyone, because no one owns anyone. That is the true experience of freedom: having the most important thing in the world without owning it.”
Family & Friends Quotes
Paulo Coelho is sure to have something clever and genuine to say about family and friendships. A few words from him have the ability to make us laugh, think, or even cry. He reminds us of what an amazing thing it is to find our people, which gives us so much solace on this often lonely life journey. Let's see s a few…
- “Family love is the most beautiful of all loves.”
- “Our true friends are those who are with us when the good things happen. They cheer us on and are pleased by our triumphs. False friends only appear at difficult times, with their sad, supportive faces, when, in fact, our suffering is serving to console them for their miserable lives.”
- “When someone leaves, it's because someone else is about to arrive.”
- “You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships everyday; you develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity.”
- “People never learn anything by being told, they have to find out for themselves.”
- “Friendship is not about whom you know the longest. It is about who came and never left.”
- “Life has taught me that only through family can we achieve true happiness: having someone who loves us unconditionally and whom we also love with all our might”
A Final Word on Intriguing Quotes of Paolo Coelho
After reading the inspiring quotes of Paulo Coelho, we can understand what an impact he has had on the world.
His words have created a connection between people of all backgrounds and filled many hearts with courage and happiness.
He has brought hope in discouraging moments for so many people, providing them with life-changing lessons that will stay with them forever. It is amazing how a few simple sentences can give such positive power to individuals’ lives.
It’s comforting to know that each of us has access to this great source of strength and wisdom through these quotes by Paulo Coelho. May his life inspire every one of us to express our creativity, love deeply, think philosophically, and make bold moves in pursuit of our dreams!
And if you want more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 85 Joyce Meyer Quotes to Inspire Faith, Happiness, and Improved Relationships
- 63 Comfort Zone Quotes to Push Your Personal Boundaries
- 57 Self-Awareness Quotes to Know Yourself Better
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.