There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
With the warm days of summer coming to a close it’s almost time for the fall season.
The autumn season represents the cooling down from the heat and vibrancy of summer. The summer holidays are over, the kids are back in school, and the days get shorter and cooler. Artists and nature enthusiasts alike tend to appreciate autumn's beauty, due to its explosion of colors and hues.
We’ve put together this compilation of quotes to get you in the mood for the fall season.
But first, a little bit about October.
October is the tenth month of the year. It’s seen as the time when both people and nature alike are starting to prepare for the winter (particularly in the Northern Hemisphere of Earth). You get cooler days, longer nights, and a host of wonderful colors erupting from the foliage. Nature is preparing to rest for the winter.
Did you know that the term “Fall season” comes from 17th century England? It was named due to the falling of leaves. However, you’re more likely to hear the term “Fall season” in North America these days.
October is a time to stop and slow down, it’s often considered a solitary month – the gateway between summer and winter. Often the summer season is a time of great activity. Long sunny days lead us to spend more time outside, many of us jet off abroad on holiday, or you might have spent time with relatives and extended family.
This frantic pace can leave us feeling like the summer has gone by in a flash – October and the fall season represent an opportunity to slow down and enjoy some nice walks on a cool evening through parks and forests filled with red, brown, and vibrant hues.
If you’re feeling sad because the summer is coming to a close or excited about the coming fall then these October quotes will get you in the mood and looking forward to what’s to come.
Now, let’s bring out the quotes!
- “Listen! The wind is rising, and the air is wild with leaves, We have had our summer evenings, now for October eves!” – Humbert Wolfe
- “October is crisp days and cool nights, a time to curl up around the dancing flames and sink into a good book.” – John Sinor
- “Ah, September! You are the doorway to the season that awakens my soul… but I must confess that I love you only because you are a prelude to my beloved October.” – Peggy Toney Horton
- “All things on earth point home in old October; sailors to sea, travelers to walls and fences, hunters to field and hollow and the long voice of the hounds, the lover to the love he has forsaken.” – Thomas Wolfe
- “Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.” – Albert Camus
- “October is a laughing leopard; A lazy leopard, in the sun, fawning. He may bare white fangs on frosty mornings, But by noon he is as sleek as summer, Basking before the red stars of the frozen bittersweet.” – Marion Louise Bliss
- “I have been younger in October than in all the months of spring.” – W. S. Merwin
- “Autumn colors remind us we are all one dancing in the wind.” – Lorin Morgan-Richards
- “In the entire circle of the year, there are no days so delightful as those of a fine October.” – Alexander Smith
- “The trees are in their autumn beauty, The woodland paths are dry, Under the October twilight the water Mirrors a still sky.” – William Butler Yeats
- “Ah, Lovely October, as you usher in the season that awakens my soul, your awesome beauty compels my spirit to soar like a leaf caught in an autumn breeze and my heart to sing like a heavenly choir.” – Peggy Toney Horton
- “Anyone who thinks fallen leaves are dead has never watched them dancing on a windy day.” – Shira Tamir
- “October had tremendous possibility. The summer’s oppressive heat was a distant memory, and the golden leaves promised a world full of beautiful adventures. They made me believe in miracles.” – Sarah Guillory
- “No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.” – John Donne
- “Then came October, full of merry glee.” – Edmund Spenser
- “October made the leaves on Main Street fit for a crown. They dripped from the trees in jewel-toned shades: yellow and orange and fiery red. The cool wind sent a confetti-cluster of leaves down around us.” – Natalie Lloyd
- “He loved October. Had always loved it. There was something sad and beautiful about it—the ending and beginning of things.” – Jackqueline Woodson
- “Autumn is the time of year when Mother Nature says, “Look how easy, how healthy, and how beautiful letting go can be.” – Toni Sorenson
- “Autumn is the eternal corrective. It is ripeness and color and a time of maturity; but it is also breadth, and depth, and distance. What man can stand with autumn on a hilltop and fail to see the span of his world and the meaning of the rolling hills that reach to the far horizon?” – Hal Borland
- “I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. It would be terrible if we just skipped from September to November, wouldn't it?” – Lucy Maud Montgomery
- “October is a symphony of permanence and change.” – Bonaro W. Overstreet
- “The end of the summer is not the end of the world. Here’s to October.” – A. A. Milne
- “It takes a strong man to be with a woman full of fire and stars and all of October.” – Melody Lee
- “Then summer fades and passes and October comes. We'll smell smoke then, and feel an unexpected sharpness, a thrill of nervousness, swift elation, a sense of sadness and departure.” – Thomas Wolfe
- “October, here's to you. Here's to the heady aroma of the frost-kissed apples, the winey smell of ripened grapes, the wild-as-the-wind smell of hickory nuts and the nostalgic whiff of that first wood smoke.” – Ken Weber
- “October proved a riot a riot to the senses and climaxed those giddy last weeks before Halloween.” – Keith Donohue
- “The clear light that belongs to October was making the landscape radiant.” – Florence Bone
- “October sets thy leaves ablaze, And warms my muse to sing thy praise.” – James Riggs
- “The leaves fall, the wind blows, and the farm country slowly changes from the summer cottons into its winter woods.” – Henry Beston
The leaves fall, the wind blows, and the farm country slowly changes from the summer cottons into its winter woods.” – Henry Beston
- “For anyone who lives in the oak-and-maple area of New England, there is a perennial temptation to plunge into a purple sea of adjectives about October.” – Hal Borland
- “In October, a maple tree before your window lights up your room like a great lamp. Even on cloudy days, its presence helps to dispel the gloom.” – John Burroughs
- “Sweet October, fill with praise, Rich and glowing as thy days, Every poet’s heartfelt lays.” – Caroline May
- “October’s foliage yellows with his cold.” – John Ruskin
- “Upstate New York in the middle of October. You can't get more beautiful than that.” – Paul Reiser
- “Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun.” – John Keats
- “October is the opal month of the year. It is the month of glory, of ripeness. It is the picture-month.” – Henry Ward Beecher
- “What I really want from Music: That it be cheerful and profound like an afternoon in October.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it.” – George Eliot
- “October was always the least dependable of months… full of ghosts and shadows.” Joy Fielding
- “For man, autumn is a time of harvest, of gathering together. For nature, it is a time of sowing, of scattering abroad.” – Edwin Way Teale
- “October—the true heart of autumn… the perfect blend of daydream and reality, with amazing weather, a beautiful quiet, and soul-calming breezes which lead the way to the comforting slow-down of the year.” – Terri Guillemets
That brings us an end to our list of October quotes. We hope that these get you excited for the fall season and the festivities that are just around the corner. In the meantime, check out the 31 benefits of gratitude: the ultimate science-backed guide. To help you slow down and appreciate everything you’ve done this year!
And if you want more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 60 Good Vibes Quotes to Uplift Others in 2023
- 101 Zen Quotes on Life, Love, and Death
- 61 Life Goes On Quotes to Move Past Hurt
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Tom Smith is a creative writer with over 6 years of professional experience. He discovered the joy of writing after covering some furniture in his childhood home with graffiti. In later years, he got himself a BA in creative writing and hasn’t looked back. After discovering the power of positive thinking and discovering the spiritual side of life, he believes it's a huge privilege to be able to write about all things personal development.