There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Some people come into our lives and stay, at least for a while. And in that time, they help and support, and care for us. They often play a significant part and enrich our lives in ways we only dreamt of.
But not everyone who tries to stay, should. Some people are only in your life for their own benefit; for selfish reasons. And the negativity they bring can be truly suffocating.
Purging their poison allows you to once again breathe freely. And these negative people quotes will help you to see through the smoke screen they’ve created.
You are in control. Remember that.
A seedling can only flourish in good soil, with the right amount of sun and water. A car can only run with proper maintenance and care. And you can only thrive with people who bring positivity to your life.
If you’re constantly fighting off the doom and gloom, the negativity and small-mindedness, there’s little energy left for you. You can not grow as a person, nor succeed in your dreams.
This can be particularly challenging if the negativity comes from someone close, such as a partner or family member. You may feel obligated to put up with their
arduous attitude, despite its impact on your own well-being.
But you need to start putting yourself first. And if necessary, remove these people from your life. You don't have to put up with their toxic moods. And you don't have to listen to their relentless cries of how hard and unfair life is.
You can simply say ‘No more!’ No more dragging you down into their pool of self-pity. No more bearing the weight of their emotional baggage, whilst simultaneously watching your own ambitions wash away.
This is your life, to live your way. So let’s take a look at these 63 negative people quotes to help you purge the negativity from your life.
1. “People inspire you, or they drain you. Pick them wisely.” – Hans F. Hasen
2. “Don’t walk away from negative people – run!” – Mark Twain
3. “Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
4. “Don't let people pull you into their storms. Pull them into your peace.” – Unknown
5. “Let go of negative people. They only show up to share complaints, problems, disastrous stories, fear, and judgment on others. If somebody is looking for a bin to throw all their trash into, make sure it’s not in your mind.” – Dalai Lama
6. “People who are constantly negative have a tendency of rubbing off that negativity to others. It's not just annoying, it is unhealthy. Surround yourself with positive people and positive attitudes.” – Louise R Allen
7. “Like arsenic, toxic people will slowly kill you. They kill your positive spirit and play with your mind and emotions. The only cure is to let them go.” – Denisse Lisseth
8. “When you are pursuing your dreams, they will call you CRAZY because they are LAZY. They never know you are a HERO who just jumped away from step ZERO. Stay away from negative people; they will only pollute you.” – Israelmore Ayivor
9. “The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.” – Chinese Proverb
10. “I will not allow anyone to walk in my mind with dirty feet.” – Mahatma Gandhi
11. “It is important to surround yourself with people who life you up, encourage you, share your vision and inspire you.” – Les Brown
12. “People who try to bring you down everyday aren't important in your life, so you better treat their opinions as such.” – Terry Mark
13. “The less you respond to negative people, the more powerful your life will become.” – Robert E. Baine, Jr.
14. “No one forces a person to be negative, and no one forces anyone to be positive. The choice is up to an individual and that person alone.” – Byron Pulsifer
15. “Negative people can only infest you with discouragements when they find you around… Just get lost and get saved!” – Israelmore Ayivor
16. “Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive, it will take their breath away.” – Unknown
17. “Surround yourself with loving, caring, happy people and get rid of the negative people that drag you down.” – Heather Rose,
18. “Keeping bad company is like being in a germ-infested area. You never know what you’ll catch.” – Frank Sonnenberg
19. “The Secret to a long and healthy life is to be stress-free. Be grateful for everything you have, stay away from people who are negative stay smiling, and keep running.” ~ Fauja Singh
20. “Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power.” – Shirley MacLaine
21. “Some people are like clouds. When they disappear, it's a brighter day.” – Unknown
22. “Stop allowing other people to dilute or poison your day with their words or opinions.” – Steve Maraboli
23. “If someone tries to complicate your life, turn and walk away from them.” – Unknown
24. “If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome.” – Michael Jordan
25. “Some people break you down by just being them. They need not do anything. Dissociate.” – Malebo Sephodi
26. “Pay no attention to toxic words. What people say is often a reflection of themselves, not you.” – Christian Baloga
27. “Toxic people will pollute everything around them. Don’t hesitate. Fumigate.” – Mandy Hale
28. “Gravitate towards your goals and avoid negative people and situations.” – Phillip Crone
29. “Don’t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out.” – Robert Tew
30. “Hanging around the small-minded eventually makes us small-minded. The plant only grows as big as the environment it’s in.” – Torron-Lee Dewar
Hanging around the small-minded eventually makes us small-minded. The plant only grows as big as the environment it’s in.” – Torron-Lee Dewar
31. “Negativity, in general, is one of the things that holds people back, and you have to see what's holding you back to get away from it.” – Lucy Dacus
32. “Losing will not always amount to a loss, sometimes you have to lose those toxic relationships and bad habits to create a space for better things.” – Gift Gugu Mona
33. “An entire sea of water can’t sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship. Similarly, the negativity of the world can’t put you down unless you allow it to get inside you.” – Goi Nasu
34. “Adopting the right attitude can convert a negative stress into a positive one.” – Dr. Hans Selye
35. “Avoid negative people, for they are the greatest destroyers of self-confidence and self-esteem. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you!” – Auliq Ice
36. “While you can’t control someone’s negative behavior, you can control how long you participate in it.” – Unknown
37. “I'll always use the negativity as more motivation to work even harder and become even stronger.” – Tim Tebow
38. “Negativity is cannibalistic. The more you feed it, the bigger and stronger it grows.” – Bobby Darnell
39. “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life, but define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
40. “Don't let negativity affect your vision. A lot of people have said harsh things, but I don't let it affect me. If anything it gives me more enthusiasm and pushes me to do better in my career so I can prove them wrong.” – Nicole Polizzi
41. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
42. “Life is short. Don’t waste it with negative people who don’t appreciate you. Keep them in your heart but keep them out of your life.” – Unknown
43. “Having the strength to tune out negativity and remain focused on what I want gives me the will and confidence to achieve my goals.” – Gisele Bundchen
44. “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too can become great.” – Mark Twain
45. “When you notice someone does something toxic the first time, don’t wait for the second time before you address it.” – Shahida Arabi
46. “There are some people who always seem angry and continuously look for conflict. Walk away; the battle they are fighting isn't with you, it is with themselves.” – Unknown
47. “When the world pushes you to your knees, you’re in the perfect position to pray.” – Rumi
48. “Let negative people live their negative lives with their negative minds.” – Moosa Rahat
49. “When you have a lot of stress and negativity around you, when you cut that away, you cleanse.” – Lil Jon
50. “Do not allow negative people to turn you into one of them.” – Unknown
51. “No one can create negativity or stress within you. Only you can do that by virtue of how you process your world.” – Wayne Dyer
52. “My encouragement: delete the energy vampires from your life, clean out all complexity, build a team around you that frees you to fly, remove anything toxic, and cherish simplicity. Because that’s where genius lives.” – Robin S. Sharma
53. “Until you let go of all the toxic people in your life you will never be able to grow into your fullest potential. Let them go so you can grow.” – DLQ
54. “I think we manifest the very thing we put out. If you're putting out negativity, then you're going to retrieve that same sentiment. If you emanate joy, it comes back to you.” – Robin Wright
55. “No matter how valuable you are and your ideas, fools will certainly play both of you down, so exclude yourselves from the inflammatory environs of fools.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
56. “Cutting people out of your life doesn’t mean you hate them, it simply means you respect yourself. Not everyone is meant to stay.”
57. “Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” – Hussein Nishah
58. “Life is too short to spend in negativity. So I have made a conscious effort to not be where I don't want to be.” – Hugh Dillon
59. “As you remove toxic people from your life, you free up space and emotional energy for positive, healthy relationships.” – John Mark Green
60. “When someone tells me “no,” it doesn’t mean I can’t do it, it simply means I can’t do it with them.” – Karen E. Quinones Miller
61. “Never let the negativity get to you. There are gonna be a lot of people you have to plow through, but as long you believe in yourself, that's all that matters.” – Becky G
62. “The idea is quite simple, stay a light year away from people who make you feel less about yourself.” – Mohith Agadi
63. “Be happy. It really annoys negative people.” – Ricky Gervais
When you’re surrounded by positivity, you can’t help but feel good. It’s like the warm sun, glowing on your day and making everything a little brighter.
But in the same way, when you allow negative people into your life, you also allow their storm to cloud over your happiness. And that beautiful glow becomes overcast with their misery.
It’s time to put yourself first. And if you’re looking for a boost of positivity, these 25 happy thoughts are sure to brighten your day.
And if you want more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 73 Trauma Quotes to Recover from a Challenging Past
- 75 Gaslighting Quotes to Deal with Narcissistic Manipulators
- 75 Manipulation Quotes to Stop Gaslighters & Toxic People
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.