There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
We all have those ‘down days’. But some people are in a permanent state of misery. The world is against them. And nothing you say makes it any better.
Whilst that person may be your nearest and dearest, they’re also a very dark cloud on your beautifully sunny day. They feel like a hole in your otherwise perfect sock. Or a puncture in your tyre, for the third time in two weeks.
It’s exhausting. Their continuously woeful outlook on life saps the good out of any day. And despite your very best efforts, it never gets any better.
Trying to understand your miserable mates is tedious. But these miserable people quotes might shine some light on the situation. And hopefully, brighten everyone’s day.
Why Are Some People So Miserable?
Do you ever just look at someone and have the urge to shout ‘What is your problem?!’
Maybe it’s a colleague who’s moaning makes your 9-5 job feel more like a 9-325. Or perhaps a friend who’s complaining gives you an almost instant headache.
You find yourself purposely avoiding that person. Making up excuses and ignoring their calls, just to not get bogged down with the latest poor me routine.
And that’s completely understandable. No one wants to listen to the same miserable tones, day after day.
You offer advice and try to help but feel it can’t be heard over their self-pity. And you’re left wondering why you even bother.
Why can’t they just get up and get on like everyone else? Why does everything have to be a drama? A constant flow of problem after problem, that they almost seem to look for.
The sad reality is, for some people, the clouds have become so dark, that any joy has been blotted out. Reduced to nothing. And consequently, left them in a permanent state of misery.
The little things that make you smile, are lost in their lives. And the laughter that comes so naturally to you, is often forced from their mouths, just to appear sociable.
Whilst their miserable outlook is undoubtedly draining, it’s rarely meant with malice. And more than judgment or your expert opinion, kindness is what’s needed. That, with compassion. And an abundance of positivity to help them find happiness again.
Try to be more understanding. To find out why life is getting them so down. And help your loved one see that better days are coming.
Now, let’s take a look at these miserable people quotes.
55 Miserable People Quotes to Understand Them Better
- “Oftentimes. when people are miserable, they will want to make other people miserable, too. But it never helps.” – Daniel Handler
- “A man’s as miserable as he thinks he is.” – Seneca
- “People inspire you, or drain you. Pick them wisely.” – Unknown
- “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.” – Wayne Dyer
- “The reason many people in our society are miserable, sick, and highly stressed is because of an unhealthy attachment to things they have no control over.” – Steve Maraboli
The reason many people in our society are miserable, sick, and highly stressed is because of an unhealthy attachment to things they have no control over.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Some people are so broken, they get mad at you for being whole.” – Unknown
- “Miserable people focus on what they hate about their life. Happy people focus on what they love about their life.” – Zig Ziglar
- “Your miserable bitterness is showing you might wanna tuck that in.” – Unknown
- “But the thing about people, Kell had discovered, is that they didn't really want to know. They thought they did, but knowing only made them miserable.” – Victoria Schwab
- “There is no Mystery so great as Misery.” – Oscar Wilde
- “My theory on life is that life is beautiful. Life doesn't change. You have a day, and a night, and a month, and a year. We people change – we can be miserable or we can be happy. It's what you make of your life.” – Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
- “Civilized misery is the worst misery.” – Agatha Christie
- “The happiest people are those who do the most for others. The most miserable are those who do the least.” – Booker T. Washington
- “People who are not happy with themselves, cannot possibly be happy with you.” – Unknown
- “Pain and suffering are inevitable in our lives, but misery is an option.” – Chip Beck
- “Try to enjoy myself when I can – I'll be miserable enough as it is.” – Marilyn Monroe
- “No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable.” – Adam Smith
- “I don’t reckon misery loves any damn thing at all.” – Bruce Machart
- “The more you make this world about you, the more miserable you will be.” – Matt Chandler
- “Our happiness or misery depends upon our perception, not on the situation.” – Debasish Mridha
- “We are sometimes dragged into a pit of unhappiness by someone else’s opinion that we do not look happy.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
- “Some people can’t function without negativity because bringing down others make them feel better.” – Unknown
- “We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” – Carlos Castaneda
- “Always doubting and questioning everything strikes me as a very miserable way to live.” – Marty Rubin
- “There comes a point when you either embrace who and what you are, or condemn yourself to be miserable all your days. Other people will try to make you miserable; don't help them by doing the job yourself.” – Laurell K. Hamilton
There comes a point when you either embrace who and what you are, or condemn yourself to be miserable all your days. Other people will try to make you miserable; don't help them by doing the job yourself.” – Laurell K. Hamilton
- “Don’t let feeling lonely push you into the arms of a person who will make you miserable.” – Stephan Labossiere
- “A relationship will either make the majority of your life happy or miserable. It is important to take your time and make sure that it is a wise choice before making a commitment.” – Pamela Cummins
- “Bitter and unhappy people will never trust or see good in anyone, because they don’t see good or trust in themselves.” – Unknown
- “Expectations make people miserable, so whatever yours are, lower them. You’ll definitely be happier.” – Simone Elkeles
- “Be sensitive to the plight of others. You have to know about the tragedies as well as the triumphs, the failures as well as the success.” – Jim Rohn
- “Miserable people do miserable things. It’s not your job to make sense of it. Acknowledge it, separate yourself and move forward.” – Unknown
- “I wasn't an insomniac, but I was miserable.” – Ottessa Moshfegh
- “Happy people find a way to live with their problems, and miserable people let their problems stop them from living.” – Sonya Parker
- “Life can be tough sometimes. But I think it just starts with admitting, ‘Okay, the world's not perfect, how do we live our lives within that and not be miserable?'” – Amy Lee
- “Life is too short to be miserable.” – Rita Mae Brown
- “If someone makes you miserable more than they make you happy, it doesn’t matter how much you love them, you need to let them go.” – Unknown
- “The less you want, the richer you are. The more you need in order to be happy, the more miserable you’ll be.” – Yanni
- “Some people are so addicted to their misery that they will destroy anything that gets in the way of their fix.” – Bryant McGill
- “Your life will be colourful if you just add colours to your life! It is your own decisions that will determine to have a miserable or a marvellous life!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
- “Miserable people love to make other people miserable. I don't hate those, I just feel sorry for them.” – Brandi Glanville
- “Many who seem to be struggling with adversity are happy; many, amid great affluence, are utterly miserable.” – Tacitus
- “There's nothing that makes you more miserable or less interesting than self absorption.” –Timothy Keller
- “The greatest source of unhappiness comes from inside.” – Jim Rohn
- “Being with someone else and making that person feel as if they were no importance in our life is far worse than feeling alone and miserable.” – Paulo Coelho
- “None of those material possessions do anything to make your life any better…. I know a lot of people who have a lot of everything, and they're absolutely the most miserable people in the world. So it won't do anything for you unless you're a happy person and can have peace with yourself.” – Lenny Kravitz
None of those material possessions do anything to make your life any better…. I know a lot of people who have a lot of everything, and they're absolutely the most miserable people in the world. So it won't do anything for you unless you're a happy person and can have peace with yourself.” – Lenny Kravitz
- “The more conscious of our time we become, the more we start doing things that make us joyful instead of making us miserable – spending more time with friends and family and appreciating ourselves and others for the kind of character that they have.” – Todd Perelmuter
- “Happy music that is genuinely joyful is probably the hardest music to write. I think miserable stuff is more natural to the human condition and maybe more cathartic.” – Peter Gabriel
- “Nothing is miserable unless you think it so and on the other hand, nothing brings happiness unless you are content with it.” – Boethius
- “Comedians a lot of times we're on the road, we're by our self. We come home to New York to our empty one-bedroom apartment, you know, and we need a place to go where you see a bunch of other miserable people sit around and eat a corned beef sandwich.” – Jeff Ross
- “The more you judge, the more miserable you are.” – Robert Celner
- “Show me a person who blames others for their problems, and I'll show you a miserable person.” – Roy A. Piercy
- “Most people would rather be certain they're miserable, than risk being happy.” – Robert Anthony
- “The reason we’re all so miserable may be because we’re working so hard to avoid being miserable.” – Anna Lembke
- “There are some people who always seem angry and continuously look for conflict. Walk away; the battle they are fighting isn’t with you, it is with themselves.” – Unknown
- “The most miserable people are those who want everyone to love them. It’s a reflection of how deeply broken they are and how they probably are unable to love themselves.” – Unknown
Final Thoughts on Miserable People and Trying to Understand Them Better
Not everyone wants to be helped. Some people have to find their own way, fight their own battles, and from this, you should consider walking away for your own well-being.
But others need nothing more than your time and willingness to listen. Though they might not know why life feels so miserable, with your kindness, they will see the brighter days once again. And overcome the misery that's holding them back.
For more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 49 Powerful Compassion Quotes About Showing Empathy
- 63 Uplifting Blended Family Quotes to Share with Loved Ones
- 71 Quotes About Overcoming Adversity & Challenges
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.