There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
You might have heard the term “invest in yourself” but what does it mean and how can it help you find success? We’ll be covering all this and more in today’s post.
Investing in yourself is far smarter than playing the stock market, you could always luck out and win big, but spending time and resources on your goals and capabilities will always pay out in the future.
While it can be easy to bury yourself in unfulfilling work, impressing your peers, and falling into the trap of running the corporate rat race until you’re dizzy with vertigo – choosing to invest in yourself means something a bit different.
What You Will Learn
Understanding the value of investing in yourself is the first step to getting more of this behavior in your life.
Here’s where these quotes can help you out – you’re going to see some fairly big names and great ideas, and that’s going to convince you to take the time and start making some wise investments.
However, it’s important to ask what “investing in yourself” really means, and what it actually entails.
The word “investment” actually comes from the Latin word Vestis and it refers to garments – and it can quite literally refer to the idea that if someone gets better clothes, they’ll earn more money.
While this is an entertaining idea, in modern times it means taking the time to develop your abilities, investing in yourself can mean learning to manage stress, it can mean learning how to meditate, it could be eating a better diet, or engaging in an exercise program.
It means taking the time to look after yourself properly.
It could be as simple as choosing to read a book in your professional area for 30 minutes every night. Did you know that if you read 3 books on a subject that you’d be more knowledgeable than 99 percent of the population? Imagine if you read a book every month or two in your field of expertise – the results would be phenomenal.
Investing in yourself means choosing to take some time – even if it’s just 15 minutes 5 days a week and using it to enhance your capabilities. That’s all it takes – even this small amount of time can have a transformative power on your life.
- “If I had five minutes to chop down a tree, I’d spend the first three sharpening my axe.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “Don't be afraid to lose. Listen. And always invest in yourself.” – Pitbull
- “Dream big, start small, but most of all, start.” – Simon Sinek
- “An investment in self-development pays the highest dividends.” – Debasish Mridha
- “The more you learn, the more you’ll earn.” – Warren Buffett
- “Recessions are the best time to start a company. Companies fail. Others hold back capital. If you are willing to do the preparation and work, it is the best time to invest in yourself and start a business.” – Mark Cuban
- “Be a good person, but don’t waste Your time trying to prove it.” – Paulo Coelho
- “There is no more profitable investment than investing in yourself. It is the best investment you can make.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “Believing and investing in yourself is the best way to shift your thinking from a paradigm of excuses to one of the solutions.” – Farshad Asl
- “An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Invest in yourself. It's like being a boxer, you've got to be in training so that when the bell rings, you get your direction you come out of the corner and you're *ready*.” – Karl Urban
- “If you feel inferior to someone else, It is because of Your own beliefs.” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “Invest in as much of yourself as you can. You are your own biggest asset by far.” – Warren Buffett
- “Every penny NOT spent on investing in yourself (after basic needs of course) may be a wasted future opportunity from missing learns and connects.” – Richie Norton
- “Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked.” –Warren Buffett
- “Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it’s holy ground. There’s no greater investment.” – Stephen Covey
- “ Be the constantly ripening fruit” – Book of Pook
- “Invest time and energy in your well-being. Create an atmosphere of emotional safety for yourself.” – Amy Leigh Mercree
- “My philosophy is whatever you do, you've got to invest in yourself. If you don't, there are a lot of people out there who will get the job because they're more prepared than you.” – Karl Urban
- “Income seldom exceeds personal development.” – Jim Rohn
- “It’s a small price to pay, but investing a little extra effort into the life you choose will move you from average, where all the competition is, to the top.” – Richie Norton
- “Invest in yourself to get the best interest.” – Debasish Mridha
- “Old men are always advising young men to save money. That is bad advice. Don't save every nickel. Invest in yourself. I never saved a dollar until I was forty years old.” – Henry Ford
- “Your self-worth grows when you fight for something you love.” – Maxime Lagacé
- “Travel is the best investment you can make in yourself.” – Joel Sartore
- “Invest in bettering yourself and the future you. Let your future self look back on the changes you make today and be thankful you made them.” – Zero Dean
- “Stop blaming other people for your own behavior! Own the truth. If you don't like it, then invest the time and energy to change it.” – Akiroq Brost
- “Your beliefs about yourself often translate into Your convictions about yourself. It is difficult to achieve what you believe is beyond Your power.” – Eugene C. Onyibo
- “Invest in your brain, invest in your talents. Those things can appreciate, and they get better as you get older.” – Rashida Jones
- “Make your brain your hobby” – Tony Buzan
- “You only get hurt that badly when you’re doing something that matters, something impossible, taking a risk. Investing yourself. And ball’s worth it, the rush you get, the exhilaration.” – Allison Parr
- “Those who do not attempt to appear more than they are but are simply themselves, stand out as remarkable and are the only ones who truly make a difference in this world.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “Never stop investing. Never stop improving. Never stop doing something new.” – Bob Parsons
- “At the end of your life’s journey, what do you want to say you did with your time? There is enough time if you choose to invest it in yourself. Inch by inch, day by day, make yourself a priority.” – Jackie Cantoni
- “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it … he who doesn't … pays it.” – Albert Einstein
Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it … he who doesn't … pays it.” – Albert Einstein
- “Successful people don’t earn more, then invest. They invest so they can earn more.” – Erin Hatzikostas
- “It hurts like hell when the world won't invest in you. But it's excruciating, almost more than you can bear when you don't believe and invest in yourself.” – Julia Cameron
- “Invest in yourself. Invest in self-discipline. Invest in self-satisfaction. Have complete control over your own thoughts and convictions, and never stop aiming to outdo yourself.” – Lionel Suggs
- “Invest in yourself. You can afford it. Trust me.” – Rashon Carraway
- “Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.” – Albert Einstein
- “Invest in yourself, in your education. There’s nothing better.” – Sylvia Porter
- “Also put your money where your mind is!” – Nicky Verd
- “Once you realize that you have identified a passion, invest in yourself. Figure out what you need to know, what kind of experience and expertise you need to develop to do the things that you feel in your heart you will enjoy and that will sustain you both mentally and economically.” – Martha Stewart
- “Investing in yourself is the best thing you can do. If you’ve got talents, no one can take them from you.” – Warren Buffett
- “Don’t go through life, grow through life.” – Eric Butterworth
- “Invest three percent of your income in yourself (self-development) in order to guarantee your future.” – Brian Tracy
- “Invest in yourself now and reap the dividends day after day after month after year.” – Jack LaLanne
- “Your sense of self-worth comes from you alone — never the opinion of others.” – Robert Greene
- “Invest in yourself to the point that it makes someone else want to invest in you.” – Tony Gaskins
- “You have to invest if you want to progress.” – Erin Hatzikostas
- “I think the number one safe haven where people put their money is to invest in yourself first.” – Hill Harper
- “If you want to change the way you feel about yourself, first you have to change the way you think about yourself.” – Gavin Bird
- “Fearlessly embrace new technologies, learn new things, and demonstrate a willingness to invest in yourself.” – Germany Kent
- “It's never a waste of time or money to invest in yourself, no matter the source. True wealth begins inwards and emits its light outward into everything else, including the people you surround yourself with.” – will.i.am
- “Invest in yourself first. Expect nothing from no one and be willing to work for everything.” – Tony Gaskins
- “We can’t become what we need to be by remaining what we are.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “If you want to be truly successful, invest in yourself to get the knowledge you need to find your unique factor. When you find it and focus on it and persevere, your success will blossom.” – Sydney Madwed
- “Invest in yourself. Your career is the engine of your wealth.” – Paul Clitheroe
- “Every moment of one’s existence, one is growing into more or retreating into less.” – Norman Mailer
- “Your greatness is limited only by the investments you make in yourself.” – Grant Cardone
- “Personal development is a major time saver. The better you become, the less time it takes you to achieve your goals.” – Brian Tracy
- “You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “It’s not selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself, and make your happiness a priority. It’s necessary.” – Mandy Hale
- “Personal development is the belief that you are worth the effort, time, and energy needed to develop yourself.” – Denis Waitley
Without investing in yourself, it’s impossible to reach your full potential, and if it worked for Warren Buffet, it’s going to work for you.
We hope these quotes have given you more insight as to how important it is to spend some time and resources in building yourself up, for some practical examples of this check out this guide – how to invest in yourself: 33 ways to change your life’s potential.
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Tom Smith is a creative writer with over 6 years of professional experience. He discovered the joy of writing after covering some furniture in his childhood home with graffiti. In later years, he got himself a BA in creative writing and hasn’t looked back. After discovering the power of positive thinking and discovering the spiritual side of life, he believes it's a huge privilege to be able to write about all things personal development.