There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
From the moment we take our first breath, the world around us shapes who we are.
The values that are passed down by our family, teachers, and society are embedded in our minds. And they become the foundations upon which we build our character.
Some of these values are like shining beacons of goodness. Or a warm hand that’s guiding us toward making the right choices. They’re strong and honest. And are filled with good intentions.
Others may be flawed or misguided. But even from those, we learn valuable lessons about what not to do. And become individuals, with our own set of principles and beliefs.
We’re shaped by the values of others. But as seen in these integrity quotes, it’s up to us to decide how we will use them to shape our own lives.
It’s easy to make bad decisions. We all do it.
And that’s OK, as it’s part of growing up. It’s part of discovering who we are; where our boundaries lie. And gain valuable life experience.
Because let's face it – you can’t tell what the road will feel like without walking it. And you can’t tell if the people who begged you not to go were holding you back. Or if they knew in their hearts that you were making a mistake.
But at some point, you’ll realize that the view isn’t quite how you imagined it would be. And you’ll know that it’s time to stop walking.
That doesn’t mean you get to retake the path or remake the bad decisions. But you can choose to walk in a different direction.
You can choose to learn from your mistakes, to have the integrity to admit where you messed up. And you can choose to take responsibility for your choices, along with any damage they may have caused.
It’s not easy. But by doing so, you’ll undoubtedly grow as a person. And your character will shine through.
So, if you find yourself on a road that doesn't feel right, remember that you can choose a different direction. You can learn from your past mistakes and use them as stepping stones towards a brighter future.
It's never too late to reroute your journey. So, keep walking, keep learning, and use these powerful integrity quotes as inspiration along the way.
- “When you stop living your life based on what others think of you real life begins. At that moment, you will finally see the door of self acceptance opened.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.” – Bob Marley
- “I often warn people: Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, ‘There is no “I” in team.’ What you should tell them is, ‘Maybe not. But there is an “I” in independence, individuality and integrity.’” – George Carlin
- “Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” – C. S. Lewis
- “Be Impeccable With Your Word. Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.” – Don Miguel Ruiz
Be Impeccable With Your Word. Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.” – Don Miguel Ruiz
- “A life lived with integrity – even if it lacks the trappings of fame and fortune is a shining star in whose light others may follow in the years to come.” – Denis Waitley
- “Be impeccable with your words and speak with integrity. Say only what you mean and use the power of your words in the direction of truth and love.” – Don Miguel Ruiz
- “When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everyone will respect you.” – Lao Tzu
- “Goodness is about character – integrity, honesty, kindness, generosity, moral courage, and the like. More than anything else, it is about how we treat other people.” – Dennis Prager
- “As I have said, the first thing is to be honest with yourself. You can never have an impact on society if you have not changed yourself. Great peacemakers are all people of integrity, of honesty, but humility.” – Nelson Mandela
- “The right way is not always the popular and easy way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character.” – Margaret Chase Smith
- “Live so that when your children think of fairness, caring, and integrity, they think of you.” – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- “Image is what people think we are; integrity is what we really are.” – John C. Maxwell
- “Your reputation and integrity are everything. Follow through on what you say you're going to do. Your credibility can only be built over time, and it is built from the history of your words and actions.” – Maria Razumich-Zec
- “I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence.” – Frederick Douglas
- “Supporting the truth, even when it is unpopular, shows the capacity for honesty and integrity.” – Steve Brunkhorst
- “We learned about honesty and integrity – that the truth matters… that you don't take shortcuts or play by your own set of rules… and success doesn't count unless you earn it fair and square.” – Michelle Obama
- “That you may retain your self-respect, it is better to displease the people by doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what you know is wrong.” – William Boetcker
- “When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost.” – Billy Graham
- “Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity.” – W.Clement Stone
- “Integrity is not a conditional word. It doesn't blow in the wind or change with the weather. It is your inner image of yourself, and if you look in there and see a man who won't cheat, then you know he never will.” – John D. MacDonald
Integrity is not a conditional word. It doesn't blow in the wind or change with the weather. It is your inner image of yourself, and if you look in there and see a man who won't cheat, then you know he never will.” – John D. MacDonald
- “I believe in integrity. Dogs have it. Humans are sometimes lacking it.” – Cesar Milan
- “To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity.” – Douglas Adams
- “Be true to your work, your word, and your friend.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised.” – Chinua Achebe
- “Integrity is the ability to stand by an idea.” – Ayn Rand
- “Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to.” – Arnold H. Glasow
- “Integrity is choosing courage over comfort; choosing what is right over what is fun, fast, or easy; and choosing to practice our values rather than simply professing them.” – Brené Brown
- “You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “Know what's important and what isn't. Have the wisdom to know the right thing to do, the integrity to do it, the character to stand up to those who don't, and the courage to stop those who won't.” – Mark Goulston
- “If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.” – Gordon A. Eadie
- “Having a superpower has nothing to do with the ability to fly or jump, or superhuman strength. The truest superpowers are the ones we all possess: willpower, integrity, and most importantly, courage.” – Jason Reynolds
- “Do what is right, not what is easy nor what is popular.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.” – Alan K. Simpson
- “Walk with honor, character, and integrity in all that you do. Do these things and you will find that you can appreciate the adventure of life and live with greater ease.” – Shannon L. Alder
Walk with honor, character, and integrity in all that you do. Do these things and you will find that you can appreciate the adventure of life and live with greater ease.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “If you don't have integrity, you have nothing. You can't buy it. You can have all the money in the world, but if you are not a moral and ethical person, you really have nothing.” – Henry Kravis
- “Creating a culture of integrity and accountability not only improves effectiveness, it also generates a respectful, enjoyable and life-giving setting in which to work.” – Tom Hanson
- “The foundation stones for a balanced success are honesty, character, integrity, faith, love and loyalty.” – Zig Ziglar
- “Honest communication is built on truth and integrity and upon respect of the one for the other.” – Benjamin E. Mays
- “Integrity is the essence of everything successful.” – R. Buckminster Fuller
- “Integrity gives you real freedom because you have nothing to fear since you have nothing to hide.” – Zig Ziglar
- “Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” – Cecil Beaton
- “There is no higher value in our society than integrity.” – Arlen Specter
- “Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.” – Stevie Wonder
- “A single lie destroys a whole reputation of integrity.” – Baltasar Gracian
- “Everyone makes mistakes, but only a person with integrity owns up to them.” – Nicole Guillaume
- “Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.” – Will Rogers
- “A mentor is someone with a willingness to help others, who has a capacity to inspire, a determination to work hard, a clear sense of vision, an inspiring purpose, a deep sense of integrity and an appreciation for joy. – Kerry Kennedy
- “If it is not right, do not do it; if it is not true, do not say it.” – Marcus Aurelius
- “When the norm is decency, other virtues can thrive: integrity, honesty, compassion, kindness, and trust.” – Raja Krishnamoorthi
- “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller
- “Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people.” – Spencer Johnson
- “Character is what you are in the dark.” – Dwight L. Moody
- “Honor your commitments with integrity.” – Les Brown
- “People of integrity and honesty not only practice what they preach, they are what they preach.” – David A. Bednar
- “The time is always right to do what is right.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Don't worry so much about your self-esteem. Worry more about your character. Integrity is its own reward.” – Laura Schlessinger
- “To me, integrity means always doing what is right and good, regardless of the immediate consequences. It means being righteous from the very depth of our soul, not only in our actions but, more importantly, in our thoughts and in our hearts.” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
- “Never do anything that you can’t admit doing because if you are that ashamed of whatever it is, it’s probably wrong.” – Ashly Lorenzana
Final Thoughts on Integrity Quotes
Having integrity isn’t just about doing the right thing when someone is watching.
It’s about being true to yourself and your values, even when no one else is around. And consistently making choices that align with your moral compass.
It may not always be easy, especially when faced with an easier road. But it is worth it in the long run.
For more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 55 Leap of Faith Quotes for Tough Times
- 101 Zen Quotes on Life, Love, and Death
- 63 Best Brené Brown Quotes on Vulnerability & Daring Greatly
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.