There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
We all want to be liked; to be appreciated, and even admired for one reason or another. From getting good grades at school to proving our worth in our jobs and even our social circle, the feeling of recognition can be addictive.
But, it's important to remember that seeking validation solely for the sake of being liked can be a slippery slope. And rather than constantly chasing approval, we should focus on nurturing a sense of self-worth and confidence from within.
When we prioritize our own growth and happiness, we become less reliant on the opinions of others. And, as seen in these humility quotes, find happiness with a more fulfilling and authentic life.
In today's society, there is an overwhelming amount of pressure to constantly strive for perfection and reach for the stars in every aspect of our lives.
We’re bombarded with images of flawless beauty, extravagant lifestyles, and lucrative job titles that can make us feel inadequate if we don't measure up.
From social media to magazines in the doctor’s office; from giant billboards to TV ads, the constant cycle of ‘Do this and don’t do that’ only reinforces our self-doubts. And we’re driven to do better; to be better.
But true happiness and fulfillment come from within, not from external validation. It’s about who we are as a person, rather than how we look or what we have. And we should prioritize self-acceptance and personal growth over anything else.
Ask yourself ‘What did I do today that made me happy?’ or ‘What did I learn today that enriched my life?’ Those are the things that matter, the things that give our life meaning and purpose.
And for that, we should be humble. We should celebrate humility. And raise it above vanity on every level.
Because success should never be defined by how we dress, the car we drive, or our job titles. Instead, it's about being true to ourselves and finding happiness in the journey.
So, let’s focus on nurturing a sense of contentment within. And let's find inspiration in the humble individuals who have embraced humility and shared their wisdom through these humility quotes.
- “Pride only helps us to be generous; it never makes us so, any more than vanity makes us witty.” – George Eliot
- “Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right.” – Ezra Taft Benson
- “The more unforgettable you are the harder you will be to replace. ” – Germany Kent
- “Beauty maybe attractive, vanity is not” – Unknown
- “Vanity is the food of fools.” – Rev. James Wood
- “A grateful heart is a beginning of greatness. It is an expression of humility. It is a foundation for the development of such virtues as prayer, faith, courage, contentment, happiness, love, and well-being.” – James E. Faust
A grateful heart is a beginning of greatness. It is an expression of humility. It is a foundation for the development of such virtues as prayer, faith, courage, contentment, happiness, love, and well-being.” – James E. Faust
- “Humility is the solid foundation of all virtues.” – Confucius
- “If all flowers wanted to be roses, nature would lose her springtime beauty and the fields would no longer be decked out with little wildflowers.” – Therese of Lisieux
- “Humility is the true key to success. Successful people lose their way at times. They often embrace and overindulge from the fruits of success. Humility halts this arrogance and self-indulging trap. Humble people share the credit and wealth, remaining focused and hungry to continue the journey of success.” – Rick Pitino
- “If you aren't humble, whatever empathy you claim is false and probably results from some arrogance or the desire to control. But true empathy is rooted in humility and the understanding that there are many people with as much to contribute in life as you.” – Anand Mahindra
- “Drinking from the fountain of vanity is dangerous because vanity will lie to you and tell you what you want to hear, not what you need to hear.” – Pretty Simple
- “We come nearest to the great when we are great in humility.” – Rabindranath Tagore
- “We learned about gratitude and humility – that so many people had a hand in our success, from the teachers who inspired us to the janitors who kept our school clean… and we were taught to value everyone's contribution and treat everyone with respect.” – Michelle Obama
- “Humility leads to strength and not to weakness. It is the highest form of self-respect to admit mistakes and to make amends for them.” – John J. McCloy
- “With pride, there are many curses. With humility, there come many blessings.” – Ezra Taft Benson
- “Just knowing you don't have the answers is a recipe for humility, openness, acceptance, forgiveness, and an eagerness to learn – and those are all good things.” – Dick Van Dyke
- “Now vanity is the fruit of opinion; it is born from it and nourishes itself upon it.” – Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- “There are no better cosmetics than a severe temperance and purity, modesty and humility, a gracious temper and calmness of spirit; and there is no true beauty without the signatures of these graces in the very countenance.” – Arthur Helps
There are no better cosmetics than a severe temperance and purity, modesty and humility, a gracious temper and calmness of spirit; and there is no true beauty without the signatures of these graces in the very countenance.” – Arthur Helps
- “Humility is the most difficult of all virtues to achieve; nothing dies harder than the desire to think well of self.” – T. S. Eliot
- “True humility is intelligent self respect which keeps us from thinking too highly or too meanly of ourselves. It makes us modest by reminding us how far we have come short of what we can be.” – Ralph W. Sockman
- “Uncertainty is a sign of humility, and humility is just the ability or the willingness to learn.” – Charlie Sheen
- “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.” – C. S. Lewis
- “No matter how good you think you are as a leader, my goodness, the people around you will have all kinds of ideas for how you can get better. So for me, the most fundamental thing about leadership is to have the humility to continue to get feedback and to try to get better – because your job is to try to help everybody else get better.” – Jim Yong Kim
- “Have the humility to learn from those around you.” – John C. Maxwell
- “When you meet someone who gives you good advice for your own, you must have the humility to listen.” – Giorgio Chiellini
- “Pride makes us artificial and humility makes us real.” – Thomas Merton
- “Clarity and consistency are not enough: the quest for truth requires humility and effort.” – Tariq Ramadan
- “Vanity is the quicksand of reason.” – Albert N. Katz
- “People who have a sense of peace that their priorities are in the right place also have a sense of humility and a realistic view on life.” – Patrick Lencioni
- “We are shallow because we are ‘mayabang,' ego driven, and do not have the humility to understand that we are only human, much too human to mistake knowledge for wisdom.” – F. Sionil Jose
We are shallow because we are ‘mayabang,' ego driven, and do not have the humility to understand that we are only human, much too human to mistake knowledge for wisdom.” – F. Sionil Jose
- “A man can counterfeit love, he can counterfeit faith, he can counterfeit hope and all the other graces, but it is very difficult to counterfeit humility.” – Dwight L. Moody
- “It is together that we will be able to save our biodiversity. This is a principle of effectiveness. But it is also a principle of humility; none of us can act alone.” – Albert II, Prince of Monaco
- “It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels.” – Saint Augustine
- “A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle.” – James Keller
- “When vanity occupies a person’s mind, his understanding is darkened, his heart is hardened.” – Witness Lee
- “Power is dangerous unless you have humility.” – Richard J. Daley
- “On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.” – Michel de Montaigne
- “Life is a long lesson in humility.” – James M. Barrie
- “Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like.” – Will Smith
- “Do not let vanity lead your decision-making.” – Decision
- “Our vanity is the constant enemy of our dignity.” – Madame Anne Sophie Swetchine
- “There is no doubt that in exchanging a self-centered for a selfless life we gain enormously in self-esteem. The vanity of the selfless, even those who practice utmost humility, is boundless.” – Eric Hoffer
There is no doubt that in exchanging a self-centered for a selfless life we gain enormously in self-esteem. The vanity of the selfless, even those who practice utmost humility, is boundless.” – Eric Hoffer
- “The truest characters of ignorance are vanity, and pride and arrogance.” – Samuel Butler
- “Humility is subdued Vanity.” – William Ralph Churton
- “Bow humbly to the truth of life when you see it clearly, otherwise life in its power will bring you to your knees and break your vanity.” – Elhachemi Sabi
- “Endless effort, endless humility, endless modesty.” – Rain
- “Ego is the worst Master. Humility, the best teacher.” – Andrew Pacholyk
- “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.” – Rick Warren
- “Humility helps guard against the soul’s rebellion in pride run amok.” – David Bobb
- “Do not embark on a quest to find pride. In humility, let pride remain lost.” – Tony Cleaver
- “It's all about humanity, humility, and integrity.” – Debra Wilson
- “Walk and talk with humility, but be fearless like a lion!” – Mwanandeke Kindembo
- “Life, as you say, is a journey through vanity to humility, and humility will never be realized in one lifetime.” – Orest Stocco
- “Too many people these days mistake humility for weakness, when the ability to remain humble in today's self-centred world is actually a gift.” – T.W. Lawless
Too many people these days mistake humility for weakness, when the ability to remain humble in today's self-centred world is actually a gift.” – T.W. Lawless
- “Humility is a super-important factor in all of our lives, and I try to remind myself every evening in front of the mirror, ‘Just calm down.'” – Toto Wolff
- “Vanity can easily overtake wisdom. It usually overtakes common sense.” – Julian Casablancas
- “Integrity comes not from privilege, educational pedigree, profession, or wealth but from being grounded in humility.” – Charles F. Glassman
- “It is very often nothing but our own vanity that deceives us.” – Jane Austen
- “Humility wins. Love conquers.” – Robin Sharma
- “Rather than signs of weakness, humility and vulnerability can often be signals of great strength and confidence.” – Charles F Glassman
- “The first step to greatness is to be honest.” – Samuel Johnson
- “Humility is the ability to give up your pride and still retain your dignity.” – Vanna Bonta
- “Education, family, character, intelligence, humility, okay? These are the things that make a culture live.” – Jim Brown
- “Humility isn't denying your strengths; it's being honest about your weaknesses.” – Rick Warren
- “There is a sound of humility in the word ‘under-standing'. Meditate upon it, then lower yourself to truly understand.” – Mwanandeke Kindembo
- “Self-confidence is very important. But without compassion and humility, it's just arrogance” – Unknown
- “I believe the first test of a truly great man is in his humility.” – John Ruskin
In today's society, it can be easy to get caught up in a “me, me, me” mentality. We become fixated on what we can achieve, and how many people we beat to the finish line.
However, embracing humility can be a powerful and rewarding alternative. It allows us to see beyond our own egos and recognize the value and worth of others.
So, let’s choose humility. And see the world beyond our own achievements.
For more inspiring quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 55 Trust Quotes to Show You Place Value in Others
- 91 Spiritual Quotes to Awaken and Enrich Your Life
- 121 Smile Quotes to Make Your Day a Little Happier
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.