There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Teaching kids about essential concepts like gratitude is hard.
Most parents would agree that teaching kids how to behave in civil society can be a battle of wills or go in one ear and out of the other. So, in today’s post, we’ve got some gratitude quotes for kids to help show them how important thankfulness is.
While it may seem like a tricky task now, teaching your kids about gratitude is setting them up for success in later life. We’ll go into more detail on this down below.
What You Will Learn
One of the golden tricks that all writers learn about is to show and not tell and no one can prove how true this concept is more than children. Think back to your own childhood for just a second – what were the stories that stuck with you?
Did sermons at the church or lectures from a well-meaning adult ever convince you of anything? Most kids are inquisitive and wired to learn, but the learning has to be delivered in a way that’s fun.
We’re going to provide you with some gratitude quotes for kids to help channel your thinking in a way that appeals to children.
Sitting down and talking to kids about thankfulness is important – it isn’t just about being a good or “nice” person – people who can be thankful for small things often have higher resilience, and are generally happier and more productive humans.
However – if you just said that statement to a child or teenager, you’re not going to get much more than a blank stare.
What’s a better way to teach gratitude to kids, then? Many children's stories do this by showing characters who are full of joy and thankfulness – Tigger from Winnie the pooh is a great example of this.
Kids respond better when things are shown to them and they often mimic the attitudes that their parents have. If you’re curious about life, your child will emulate this, but telling your children it’s important to be thankful when you don’t demonstrate this yourself will not go down well.
The kids may not fully understand the nuances of these stories but with a little trust and a lot of patience, these kinds of lessons will inform their thinking for years and years and help them reach their full potential.
- “The Wonderful thing about Tiggers Is Tiggers are wonderful things Tops are made out of rubber Their bottoms are made out of springs” – A.A Milne
- “The more grateful I am, the more beauty I see.” – Mary Davis
- “Goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight noises everywhere.” – Margaret Wise Brown
- “If you are really thankful, what do you do? You share.” – W. Clement Stone
- “Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses.” – Alphonse Karr
- “You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing.” – E.B. White
- “Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude.” – A.A Milne
- “Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things like the scent of the rain, the taste of your favorite food, or the sound of a loved one’s voice.” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
- “The single greatest thing you can do to change your life today would be to start being grateful for what you have right now.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Gratitude and attitude are not challenges, they are choices.” – Robert Braathe
- “I am happy. I am very happy. This morning when I woke up I felt good because the sun was shining. I felt good because I was a frog. And I felt good because I have you as a friend. I wanted to be alone. I wanted to think about how fine everything is.” – Arnold Lobel
- “There are always flowers for those who want to see them.” – Henri Matisse
- “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” – Albert Einstein
- “I don’t have to chase extraordinary moments to find happiness – it’s right in front of me if I’m paying attention and practicing gratitude.” – Brene Brown
- “Sometimes when you're surrounded by dirt…you're a better witness for what's beautiful.” – Matt de la Peña
- “The soul that gives thanks can find comfort in everything; the soul that complains can find comfort in nothing.” – Hannah Whitall Smith
- “Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind.” – Lionel Hampton
- “In November, people are good to each other. They carry pies to each other's homes and talk by crackling woodstoves, sipping mellow cider. They travel very far on a special November day just to share a meal with one another and to give thanks for their many blessings — for the food on their tables and the babies in their arms.” – Cynthia Rylant
In November, people are good to each other. They carry pies to each other's homes and talk by crackling woodstoves, sipping mellow cider. They travel very far on a special November day just to share a meal with one another and to give thanks for their many blessings — for the food on their tables and the babies in their arms.” – Cynthia Rylant
- “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” – Robert Brault
- “Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind.” – Lionel Hampton
- “An understanding heart is everything is a teacher, and cannot be esteemed highly enough. One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feeling. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.” – Carl Gustav Jung
- “Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” – Lao Tzu
- “I don't need very much now,' said the boy, ‘just a quiet place to sit and rest. I am very tired.” Well,' said the tree, straightening herself up as much as she could, “well, an old stump is good for sitting and resting. Come, Boy, sit down. Sit down and rest.' And the boy did. And the tree was happy.” – Shel Silverstein
- “Reflect upon your present blessings—of which every man has many—not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” – Charles Dickens
- “Joy is the simplest form of gratitude.” – Karl Barth
- “We appreciate the complicated and wonderful gifts you give us in each other. And we appreciate the task you put down before us, of loving each other the best we can, even as you love us.” – Kate DiCamillo
- “If the only prayer you said in your life was ‘Thank You’, that would suffice.” – Meister Eckhart
- “Find the good and praise it.” – Alex Haley
- “And for all I know he is sitting there still, under his favorite cork tree, smelling the flowers just quietly. He is very happy.” – Munro Leaf
- “The way to develop the best that is in a person is by appreciation and encouragement.” – Charles Schwab
- “On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered, ‘Life will never be the same.” – Nancy Tillman
- “At times, our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.” – Albert Schweitzer
- “Gratitude helps you to grow and expand; gratitude brings joy and laughter into your life and into the lives of all those around you.” -Eileen Caddy
- “If you want to find happiness, find gratitude.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Batman, unlike Superman or Wonder Woman or Flash is a guy without powers, he's a man … We all carry around a hero inside of ourselves everyday and it's that guy, the Batman, i think we all owe him (Kane) a debt of gratitude because in that hero that we carry around we realize that the hero is us because he's just a man. So in truth, we're all the Batman.” – Zack Snyder
Batman, unlike Superman or Wonder Woman or Flash is a guy without powers, he's a man … We all carry around a hero inside of ourselves everyday and it's that guy, the Batman, i think we all owe him (Kane) a debt of gratitude because in that hero that we carry around we realize that the hero is us because he's just a man. So in truth, we're all the Batman.” – Zack Snyder
- “When eating bamboo sprouts, remember the man who planted them.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful.” – Buddha
- “Gratitude is the sweetest thing in a seekers life – in all human life. If there is gratitude in your heart, then there will be tremendous sweetness in your eyes.” – Sri Chinmoy
- “You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.” – Amy Carmichael
- “Remember that what you now have was once among the things that you had hoped for.” – Epicurus
- “Life is strange, beautiful, and terrifying…and I am thankful for every minute of it that I have had.” – Benjamin W. Bass
- “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” – Willie Nelson
- “Gratitude also opens your eyes to the limitless potential of the universe, while dissatisfaction closes your eyes to it.” – Stephen Richards
- “Something so simple, but it’s important to take the time out from living and just appreciate what you’ve got right in front of you,” – L.A. Fiore
- “A grateful mind is a great mind which eventually attracts to itself great things.” – Plato
- “Nature’s beauty is a gift that cultivates appreciation and gratitude.” – Louie Schwartzberg
- “If you cannot be grateful for what you have received, then be thankful for what you have been spared.” – Yiddish Proverb
- “Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” – Voltaire
- “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” – Thornton Wilder
- “Do not tell the man that is carrying you that he stinks.” – African Proverb
That brings us to the end of our quotes compilation. We hope that these help to inspire you to show and teach kids about thankfulness. It’s not just about learning how to say please and thank you, as children pick up behavior from what the adults in their lives do.
In teaching your children about gratitude, you might find that you’ve learned more yourself! Parenting and being responsible for the growth and development of young life is no easy feat – check out these 96 parenting affirmations for tough moments with your kids.
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Tom Smith is a creative writer with over 6 years of professional experience. He discovered the joy of writing after covering some furniture in his childhood home with graffiti. In later years, he got himself a BA in creative writing and hasn’t looked back. After discovering the power of positive thinking and discovering the spiritual side of life, he believes it's a huge privilege to be able to write about all things personal development.